• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon That Would Work Well As Starters?

Acecaldwell01

Spriter
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2019
Hey! Just wondering, if you were making a ROM hack, what would be your 3 starter pokemon to choose fron? ( not limited to 3 ) Mine would most likely be Ralts, Ghastly, and Eevee. What would yours be?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I like to stick to the traditional starter trios, but there isn't any reason why, with some stat tweaking, other Pokemon wouldn't work. With Fairy, we have even more type triangles to take advantage of.

Fairy, Fighting, Steel would be interesting. Jigglypuff, Pancham, Bronzor? That has some fun dual-type interactions going on.

Here's a chart of potential type triangles from google:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
Beldum could have its move pool edited, to be more in line with a Gible or Larvitar.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 24, 2016
Couple other things to consider:

1.) Fire/Water/Grass works amazingly well because each of those types resists the type that it is offensively strong against, and each type is also resistant to itself. I'm not aware of any other triangles that function quite so perfectly.'

2.) Fire/Water/Grass also have no immunities. When you look at Fighting/Psychic/Dark, Dark has a big advantage because it is immune to Psychic. Water/Ground/Electric is the same. Any triangle with Steel also has a sizable unbalance because Steel resists a ton of other types including Normal, which puts them at a sizable defensive advantage.

There's a reason I guess why Fire/Water/Grass has persisted for so many games. It's a very rigorously balanced triangle.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Rock isn't super effective against Psychic, lol.
Also;
You mean that with some stat tweaking, they would work, right?

Chart is just a random grab from Google, but you're right, that triangle doesn't work.

Spoiler:

Couple other things to consider:

1.) Fire/Water/Grass works amazingly well because each of those types resists the type that it is offensively strong against, and each type is also resistant to itself. I'm not aware of any other triangles that function quite so perfectly.'

2.) Fire/Water/Grass also have no immunities. When you look at Fighting/Psychic/Dark, Dark has a big advantage because it is immune to Psychic. Water/Ground/Electric is the same. Any triangle with Steel also has a sizable unbalance because Steel resists a ton of other types including Normal, which puts them at a sizable defensive advantage.

There's a reason I guess why Fire/Water/Grass has persisted for so many games. It's a very rigorously balanced triangle.

This is one of the reasons I like to stick with the traditional starters. It's difficult to get another triangle synergizing well without hitting really specific Pokemon with dual-types/niche abilities that cancel out any primary type advantages. Though, I suppose the Fighting/Psychic/Dark triangle we had going in Gen 6 really put Delphox at a disadvantage, so GameFreak does occasionally superpower one of the starters against the others. All the water starters can learn Ice Beam to break the triangle as well.

---

Here's a thought, most of these problems are eliminated by offering only two starters. I remember a hack way way waaaaay back when I started on this forum that gave the player the choice between Nidoran [m] and Nidoran [f]. Counterparts like Vullaby/Rufflet, Volbeat/Illumise, Plusle/Minun, etc. are decent choices. Gastly/Abra could be interesting type-wise (if you gave Abra some moves) as they're both supereffective to each other. Two dragons (Goomy and... Deino?) work too. Two that start off as the same type, but gain different dual-types upon evolution? Or one Pokemon having a favorable type matchup to start with, but they both gain a type upon evolution that turns the tables. Slugma/Seel is a poor example, but it illustrates the concept.

What do you think?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
What do you guys think about pichu, horsea, and larvitar? (with horsea's evolution changed to level up)

Unless you'd be changing stats, ignore this.

I don't really like it... Larvitar would end up being stronger than the others, and Pichu's line isn't particularly strong..

Years
Yeah, I agree Tyranitar is just too powerful compared to kingdra and raichu. I could replace tyranitar with golem, but golem is kind of a common pokemon, which means that I would have to make geodudes rare in the wild.

PiGreat

「KILLER QUEEN」! I'll blow you to smithereens!
Years
I guess I might as well post this here: the starters in my hack are gonna be Sandile, Machop (or maybe Timburr) and Gothita. Is this okay? I'm most likely gonna be editing base stats and such like.

Back