• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Innovative Move Effects Showcase/Discussion

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2015
So, I feel that the actual development topics of this thing get sort of side-lined to the bevy of questions, so I thought I'd post this as sort of a brainstorming session.

If you post your idea here, DONT COMPLAIN IF IT GETS USED. Post function codes if you're working in Essentials and feel like it. These are free ideas here.

So, the pride and joy of my system right now is a nifty little move called Heart Power and it's counterpart, Soul Power. in the tradition of "Power" moves in Pokemon, the move's type is not set. However, instead of the unpredictability of Hidden Power, they both do one thing: They take the user's primary typing, and use that as it's attack. I've already posted this in the Essentials forum before.

Why do this, you ask? Because, simply put, it gives new opportunities to Pokemon whose moveset doesn't match their stats. We have a Water/Fighting physical attacker, and my friend bemoaned the lack of Water type Physical moves. It isn't great, but it's a step in the right direction, leaving for available possibilities.

We're also working on a move called Draco Form. Since Mega Evolution is ret-conned in my game and new types were added Draco Form allows some Pokemon like Charizard and Noivern to recall the Dragon typing. It also boosts accuracy as a neat little bonus.

Okay, so here's two ideas, I'll post every now and again if this thread gets some activity.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
One move concept one been toying with is a fairy or ??? Type move which would introduce inverse battles as a field effect. The reasoning for this is that it could give support to Pokemon with a limited offensive movepool and function intuitively as a field move like Trick Room without calling the b game's logic into question.

Reactions: FL
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2015
Oooh, that seems really risky. It takes things like Shedinja and removes the last good thing about them, and takes glass cannons like Abomasnow and Aurorus and makes them into nigh-unstoppable tanks, better than a non-inverted Klefki. Inverse battles really are sort of a niche thing... maybe reduce priority to -6? So people can't abuse timing?

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Tier Boring:
Dragon type moves generally have a chance to help the user for 1/16 MAX HP.

Judo Throw: Fighting, Physical, normal priority. Standard attack, except if you take damage before you use it(ie they hit first) you deal 25% of that damage in addition to the normal damage.

Tier Could be Cool but damn I'll have to program it.
Terrify: Ghost Dragon Tail that stores confusion on that foe. So if Pokemon A is switched out for Pokemon B but they switch A back in it comes back in confused. If they switch in C instead it won't be confused.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Oooh, that seems really risky. It takes things like Shedinja and removes the last good thing about them, and takes glass cannons like Abomasnow and Aurorus and makes them into nigh-unstoppable tanks, better than a non-inverted Klefki. Inverse battles really are sort of a niche thing... maybe reduce priority to -6? So people can't abuse timing?
It's pretty dangerous, but considering that there is no metagame for games made in Essentials, it really doesn't affect gameplay other than giving the player another tool to work with. If there were significant multiplayer capability, you're right though, it'd need to be rethought with balance in mind.

Also, as a side musing, does Wonder Guard still apply to the moves that would be super effective in normal gameplay or to the moves that are newly super effective in inverse battles?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Nice idea from your Soul Power/Heart Power! I thought about a variant that picks the user second type (or first for solo users) and do the same.

Abilites are allowed in this thread? If so:

Insect Wing - Adds Levitate (for the one who isn't Flying) and halves receiving damage (including moves with fix damage like Dragon Rage and effects like poison): For forgotten pokémon like Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Ledian, Masquerain, Beautifly, Dustox, Volbeat, Illumise, Mothim, Vespiquen and Vivillon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
Insect Wing - Adds Levitate (for the one who isn't Flying) and halves receiving damage (including moves with fix damage like Dragon Rage and effects like poison): For forgotten pokémon like Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Ledian, Masquerain, Beautifly, Dustox, Volbeat, Illumise, Mothim, Vespiquen and Vivillon.

Halves all damage? So it's levitate, fur coat and a special fur coat all in one? Sounds hella broken! I do agree though that for some of those Pokemon that seem like they do have a 'third' type giving them an ability that gives them some of its properties is a nice way of going about it. I'm toying around with a version that has some mix of increased resistances (or immunities), increased weaknesses, and additional STAB-esque power to flying-type moves.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2015
I was actually going to make a second thread for abilities. XD Doing that as soon as I'm done here.

It's pretty dangerous, but considering that there is no metagame for games made in Essentials, it really doesn't affect gameplay other than giving the player another tool to work with. If there were significant multiplayer capability, you're right though, it'd need to be rethought with balance in mind.

Great point. I had a friend who all out thought this would be a wonderful idea. Yeah, maybe it is more workable, unless of course you factor multiplayer. I still think the drop in priority is reasonable though.

It also explains that Mr. Inver might just be an Alakazam. O.o

Tier Boring:
Dragon type moves generally have a chance to help the user for 1/16 MAX HP.

Clarification, please? You mean "heal" the user? I'm confused. What's with the name?

Judo Throw: Fighting, Physical, normal priority. Standard attack, except if you take damage before you use it(ie they hit first) you deal 25% of that damage in addition to the normal damage.

Machamp, Lagging Tail, this. YES. I like Terrify too.

Another one of mine, still working it out:

Warp Trick- As a normal, priority +1 attack move, except with the added effect of switching places with the allied Pokemon. So if you have Poke A and Poke B, B uses Warp Trick, now your team is in B and A order. Helps with dodging type effectiveness, although obviously this could be called. I know I'll have problems implementing this, but it sounds really cool. Plus it would need either a random or targeted swap if I implemented Triples. :\

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Clarification, please? You mean "heal" the user? I'm confused. What's with the name?

Machamp, Lagging Tail, this. YES. I like Terrify too.

In my game Dragon type moves, unless they have another effect, have a %chance to heal the user for 1/16 or 1/8 MAX HP. I just think it's a boring, but powerful, change.

Yeah, I like Judo Throw. Terrify would be cool if I get it in.

Warp Trick is interesting to me, I've made doubles more prominent.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2015
I was talking with my competitive friend and he brought up that Judo Throw is almost strictly worse than Avalanche's effect at an even match. Which, he does have kind of a good point.

If you ever code Warp Trick and are working in RPGMXP, I'd appreciate a copy of the function code. :)

Also:
Draco Form- Changes the user's type to Dragon/Flying. Then raises Acc.
The second effect works even if the user is already Dragon/Flying. The effect message is "{Poke} unleashes the Dragon within!".
Tyrantrum, Flygon, Charizard, and Noivern all get this Move. Why? Because in my game, Megas don't exist and Noivern has Sound/Flying as his typing. This allows them to regain what they lost in a fun and interesting way.

Burning Soul-Changes the user's ability to Conflagrate, and raises Sp.Atk.
Like the aforementioned move, the secondary effect ignores whether or not the user already has the ability Conflagrate. Conflagrate is the fire type version of Aerialate, Pixiliate, etc.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I was talking with my competitive friend and he brought up that Judo Throw is almost strictly worse than Avalanche's effect at an even match. Which, he does have kind of a good point.

The effect would take the place of Revenge's yes.

Back