• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I don't understand how people wouldn't like bisexuals. In fact, I envy them. They get the best of both worlds! You can have a crush/fantasy of pretty much anyone you want. You lucky peoples, I wish I could fall in love with Jade the Necromancer!

Flaps

<Insert awsome line here>
Years
Hi I hope im not breaking any rules by posting here. but I wanted to voice my say.

The way I see it, I'm attracted to people. It matters not to me what gender they are. Im not going to say "OH I LIKE THIS PERSON BECAUSE THEY ARE A GUY" or "OH I LIKE THIS PERSON BECAUSE THEY ARE A GIRL" If Im attracted to someone and they happen to be a girl, I can't just say NO YOU ARE A GIRL I DONT LIKE YOU. Thats the way I see bisexuality, attraction to people. Not gender.

Also, as far using the word gay. Its modern times now. I personally think you can say the word now, to call something gay, because I think its got another meaning now completely and utterly unrelated to sexuality. Calling something gay, meaning omg thats so stupid or something along those lines. Your genuinely not calling it gay because being gay is a bad thing, and that is bad so you call it gay. I think they are completely two separate things. Like Hair and Hare, both said the same way, but mean completely different things.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
OPINIONS NEEDED: Bill dealing with "hate speech" being considered

H.R. 10
Preserving Freedom Of Speech Act

BILL SUMMARY:
Unless remarks offensive to demographic groups are specifically intended to gravely offend, intimidate, harass, or belittle specific individual(s), such remarks are not considered harassment or hate speech under the campus Code of Conduct.

PASSED A.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ON 8/24/2011
AYES: 58
52/52 GOP, 6/49 DEM
NAYS: 43
43/50 DEM, 0/52 GOP

A.S. SENATE WILL VOTE ON BILL ON 8/31/2011
Membership: 13 GOP, 12 DEM
15 votes are need to invoke cloture in the event of a filibuster.

I'm a Republican Senator representing the Gay-Straight Alliance Club. I'm leaning towards a yes vote, but a slim plurality of my constituents oppose this bill. It would still be punishable by campus sanctions to intentionally and directly harass a student based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

OPPOSE 47%
SUPPORT 45%
NO OPINION/UNDECIDED 8%

What do you think?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
How do you feel when your friends or people around you say gay as another word?
Well, I've never really had to deal with it, but I think getting mad about someone saying that something stupid is gay is being way over sensitive,

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
H.R. 10
Preserving Freedom Of Speech Act

BILL SUMMARY:
Unless remarks offensive to demographic groups are specifically intended to gravely offend, intimidate, harass, or belittle specific individual(s), such remarks are not considered harassment or hate speech under the campus Code of Conduct.

PASSED A.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ON 8/24/2011
AYES: 58
52/52 GOP, 6/49 DEM
NAYS: 43
43/50 DEM, 0/52 GOP

A.S. SENATE WILL VOTE ON BILL ON 8/31/2011
Membership: 13 GOP, 12 DEM
15 votes are need to invoke cloture in the event of a filibuster.

I'm a Republican Senator representing the Gay-Straight Alliance Club. I'm leaning towards a yes vote, but a slim plurality of my constituents oppose this bill. It would still be punishable by campus sanctions to intentionally and directly harass a student based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

OPPOSE 47%
SUPPORT 45%
NO OPINION/UNDECIDED 8%

What do you think?
I would probably vote yes, but you should ensure that people aren't going to be able to get out of punishment for harassment simply by saying that it wasn't intentional/targeted at anyone.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I would probably vote yes, but you should ensure that people aren't going to be able to get out of punishment for harassment simply by saying that it wasn't intentional/targeted at anyone.

Student Judicial Affairs determines that at a hearing.

Those supporting the bill claim that they fear they'll get in trouble when discussing controversial topics in class. Also, they fear that saying that something is "gay" would be punishable.

Those opposing have expressed the same concerns you have.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Here's a question: how do you feel when your friends or people around you say gay as another word?

Here's how I see it:

It does not offend me personally. If someone says "that's so gay" or whatever around me, it won't bother me, because I genuinely know they mean no harm. And I do agree that when people get offended by it it's overly sensitive. That said, I do think it sends an awful message to society in that 'gay' and 'bad' become synonymous. I've seen a new generation of kids start to use it, and that does worry me a little.

Also, there are enough words to describe 'bad', so I really don't see why it's needed at all. Just pick one of the existing ones rather than creating new ones, kids.

And in response to Flaps (welcome, by the way!), I don't believe for a second that it has become entirely detached from sexuality. It came from homosexuality and was no doubt originally homophobic in intent.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, I've never really had to deal with it
Well, I take that back. Someone just yelled "Hey gay kid" to me as he drove by. I have officially been insulted for my sexuality for the first time. Yay me.

Ironically, he had a very high pitched voice.

(Although, I'm sure he had no clue who I was, and didn't actually think I was gay, but you know.)

Shining Raichu

Years
Haha congratulations QuilavaKing! You're officially part of the LGBT community now. If you just learn to laugh at a-holes like that then you automatically win life :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
To get it out of the way: HERE COMES THE PC POLICE! WE JUST DON'T ALLOW PEOPLE TO HAVE FUN! WE JUST NEED THICKER SKIN!

Because that's a typical response given to those who feel the same way I do.

Here's a question: how do you feel when your friends or people around you say gay as another word?
I'll take it to mean that you are talking about "That's so gay" when "gay" is being used to describe something in a negative manner.

It offends me. Because they're making it out to be that being gay is a negative thing. A bad thing, a stupid thing, a thing that should be hated. Which isn't true, but that's what that kind of language implies.

I personally think you can say the word now, to call something gay, because I think its got another meaning now completely and utterly unrelated to sexuality.
Except people still first think of "gay" to mean homosexuality. There are people who identify as gay, and they shouldn't have the word also mean "stupid" when describing themselves. It's not like "hare" and "hair", which are homophones. "Gay" to mean homosexuality, happy, and stupid are just different definitions for the same word. And one of those definitions is offensive to a lot of people.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Haha congratulations QuilavaKing! You're officially part of the LGBT community now. If you just learn to laugh at a-holes like that then you automatically win life :)

:D

To get it out of the way: HERE COMES THE PC POLICE! WE JUST DON'T ALLOW PEOPLE TO HAVE FUN! WE JUST NEED THICKER SKIN!

Because that's a typical response given to those who feel the same way I do.

I'll take it to mean that you are talking about "That's so gay" when "gay" is being used to describe something in a negative manner.

It offends me. Because they're making it out to be that being gay is a negative thing. A bad thing, a stupid thing, a thing that should be hated. Which isn't true, but that's what that kind of language implies.

Except people still first think of "gay" to mean homosexuality. There are people who identify as gay, and they shouldn't have the word also mean "stupid" when describing themselves. It's not like "hare" and "hair", which are homophones. "Gay" to mean homosexuality, happy, and stupid are just different definitions for the same word. And one of those definitions is offensive to a lot of people.
Generally speaking, I think most people don't intend for it to be offensive, and may not even realize that it's offensive, so I can forgive them for it. As long as they really aren't intending to insult anyone.

Years

I say that's so gay all the time or I'll tell someone that they are being gay, but I don't mean it in a negative way. :[

ex: My last avatar, was so gay-looking lol

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
I don't get mad at people saying something is "gay" because it doesn't mean "Oh that's so stupid like a homosexual" it's just slang..like "What's up?" for "stupid." It has no relation to sexuality.

Now, when they say "Look at that fag" and mean it as "Look at that flaming homosexual" I will personally make sure they die in the flame I breathe out.

Shiny

monster tamer streamer
Years
By saying "that's so gay" it's implying that there is something wrong with homosexuality and in your mind, it gives it a negative connotation so I refuse to let my friends even use it.

Shining Raichu

Years
I feel like again I should re-iterate: why is it even needed? What's the point of it? Are there not enough words for 'stupid' already?

Flaps

<Insert awsome line here>
Years
And in response to Flaps (welcome, by the way!), I don't believe for a second that it has become entirely detached from sexuality. It came from homosexuality and was no doubt originally homophobic in intent.

Thankyou for the welcome!

Now. I could be entirely wrong on this, I've not researched it so definitely feel free to correct me.

But didn't gay originally mean "happy"? So it didn't come from homosexuality. Obviously people did use it with homophobic intentions, but I believe its moving on from that now. Obviously not for everyone there are still people who use it offensively but I believe its not synonymous anymore.

Shining Raichu

Years
Thankyou for the welcome!

Now. I could be entirely wrong on this, I've not researched it so definitely feel free to correct me.

But didn't gay originally mean "happy"? So it didn't come from homosexuality. Obviously people did use it with homophobic intentions, but I believe its moving on from that now. Obviously not for everyone there are still people who use it offensively but I believe its not synonymous anymore.

You're quite welcome!

Yeah, happy is another meaning for the word gay, but I can assure you that this new usage did not come from happy lol, it came from homosexual. It's therefore homophobic by definition - the idea that it could have since broken off to form another meaning entirely does not change where it came from or the connotations it will always have because of this.

Last edited:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
By saying "that's so gay" it's implying that there is something wrong with homosexuality and in your mind, it gives it a negative connotation so I refuse to let my friends even use it.

Exactly Jub, Gothitelle, it's just like someone saying, "that's so black" or "that's so Jewish" when something horrible or irritating happens. It implies that those groups of people are irritating to the rest of the world. Beyond that, when someone says "that's so gay," they intend to say "that's so homosexual" not "that's so happy," you would be lying or rather naive to believe otherwise. Many words have multiple meaning, but usually one can determine which meaning is meant to be conveyed. Ex. "This purebred Maltese poodle is a three-year-old *****." But if someone tells a woman, "You are such a b**ch, the word becomes derogatory, and not acceptable (in the majority of cases!)

Back