• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UU or NU, what to do?

Years
I've been absent from Pokemon battling for a few months but I decided to jump back in and with a brand new meta. OU was ok for a while but I got bored of it, so now I want to know two things. 1: Between UU and NU, which is most played(I would assume UU but you never know) and 2: what are some preferred aspects of UU and NU. In short, the advantages and disadvantages. If the following helps at recommending a tier to try, I'm much more defensive when I make teams and play, Semi-Stall is my preferred type of team. But with that aside, for those who play in UU and NU, this is more so for you to give your insight.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Most people here plays NU. I think everyone agreed to play NU for a while. I suggest playing NU because more people are acquainted with the NU metagame at the moment. I don't really play UU but I can assure you that NU is a fun tier.

Years
Glad you said the word I was looking for: "fun". Competitive battling is ok, but I'd rather enjoy competing than play solely to win. I'll check out NU, see how it works and go from there. Thank You.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just want to add in a bit more, UU is said to be closer to DP OU, whereas NU is close to nothing, tbh. Teams can be much more diverse because it's such a low tier and has access to Pokemon good at all sorts of roles which can easily stand out, unlike the higher tiers where teams tend to be similar and usually only succeed if they are one of three things, basically. In NU while there is the most common Pokemon, some have multiple roles and can fit into different types of teams, more than you can in the higher tiers, really. Disadvantages are that due to the diversity of the tier it's hard to know what to expect and therefore due to having less experience with certain Pokemon you may fall to its tricks more easily and ya. However in the higher tiers, less used Pokemon are less likely to be used because they're kinda set in stone already as to what's best to use.

But yeah agreeing with Zeffs, NU is best and the only thing I play now. :3;

Years
At first I only saw the paragraph comparing NU and UU and was slightly considering choosing UU, about to reply saying this, but I scroll down and see that last little sentence which kinda made me laugh. Your response Forever was pretty much what I expected, but both you and Zeffy together illustrated the points I was looking for. Looks like it's NU for me.

Years
if you like playing stall then UU is definitely for you, it's pretty much non existent in NU and NU is a very offensive tier
also UU is played more than NU

Years
Offensive teams aren't my bread and butter to use, your point in UU is very attractive to my taste in battle styles. shnen2, you make a good argument along with Forever and Zeffy, I'm starting to be indecisive between the two tiers. But the choices make it allot more interesting.

Back