• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I'm seeking a partner for a one on one Pokemon adventure roleplay! I'm kind of new to this whole roleplay thing, so I'm thinking it would be on the shorter side, to work my way into RP. Would this be the right thread for that? ;v;
Advertising and finding roleplay partners is probably better done over in the Roleplay chit-chat thread :3 But if you have a basic idea of where and how the RP will take place, you can present it here and we'll give feedback on it and help you flesh it out! Perhaps you'll find some interested partners in the process.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I was thinking of starting a Hunger Games-esque Pokemon roleplay. Would anyone be interested? I know it's been done before; it's be awhile though so hopefully there's still interested in it haha. I planning to keep it moderately long -- nothing too big since people will...die haha. :L

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I was thinking of starting a Hunger Games-esque Pokemon roleplay. Would anyone be interested? I know it's been done before; it's be awhile though so hopefully there's still interested in it haha. I planning to keep it moderately long -- nothing too big since people will...die haha. :L

I'd love a Hunger Games type RP - especially if there was more of a game element, when it comes to who dies when, how people die, etc. People are always reluctant to be killed off in RPs, for obvious reasons, but I always thought the risk of death was pretty cool :) as long as there are things you can do to make yourself less likely to perish XD.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday

can I play effie trinket pls

In that case I think it should start already when they are selected, and then maybe fast forward to when they arrive at the capital city and have the characters get to know each other through the training etc. And you'd probably have to discuss who is going to die when, well at least somewhat. If some people really want to fight for the title and RP for a long while, let them fight for their lives. While some might just want to be part of the pre-games fun and are okay with dying pretty early on, when it seems likely.

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
Years
I've had this odd idea for a futuristic Pokemon RP sitting around in my noggin for a while. Inspired by both Pokemon and Phantasy Star Online: Episode III (Gamecube-Only title). Here's a quick little plot... blurb... thing about the RP I've got planned. It's still a work in progress, so feel free to make suggestions; I'm usually very open to them, and I enjoy user feedback on my ideas:
---------------------------------------
P.A.R.T. Battle

Rating: T

Plot: It is forty-five years since the incident with Team Flare. With the crowning of the new Champion of the Kalos Region, Alvus Sinclaire has declared a new style of Pokemon battles as the official means of Pokemon Battling in Kalos. Grid battles are a new, more interactive way to battle with Pokemon. Using Pokemon Alternate Reality Tarots (P.A.R.T.s), people can materialize Pokemon to use at their command, as though they are units in battle. This new style of Pokemon Battles requires more thinking skills, and only the most skilled of Pokemon Trainers partake in these kind of battles competitively. Regardless of that, many trainers from all over the world flock to the Kalos region to test and hone their skills in the newly famed Grid Battles. However, Grid Battles and P.A.R.T. technology have been met with opposition.

A resistance force (headed by Arlana Perul, the former Champion) dubbed "Team Paradox" by the government-run Pokemon League seeks to end Grid Battles and the dictatorship of the Pokemon League and reveal the horrors involved in the creation of P.A.R.T.s. The public is unknowingly blind to the truth behind the creation of P.A.R.T. technology. P.A.R.T.s must use real Pokemon to materialize the respective Pokemon, and the Pokemon are only a "part" of what they used to be. Essentially, Team Paradox stresses the importance of the bonds between trainers and Pokemon, and how the Pokemon League under Alvus Sinclaire is destroying those bonds. Rumor has it that Team Paradox wants to track down and capture a legendary Pokemon to bring about its wrath on the Pokemon League.

Join the Hero Side (Pokemon League), or the Dark Side (Team Paradox), and decide the fate of the Kalos region!
---------------------------------------
P.S. I'll explain the mechanics of Grid Battles later on when I'm making the RP thread, and what available features there are as of now. I'm drafting those up as well.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
@Snooper16 interesting submission, a breath of fresh air. Pokemon abused for competitive purposes reminds me of the Shadow Pokemon concept, which I loved and thought it was neglected by the Pokemon franchise, so I should like to see something along the same or similar lines.

Reading through your idea, few questions immediately popped into my mind. If I understand correctly, the new "Grid Battles" are battles in which P.A.R.T.s are used by both trainers, and that these battles require advanced skills in Pokemon battling, offering a more challenging experience than normal battles. How so?You mentioned that P.A.R.T.s allow trainers to practically summon Pokemon "as though they are units in battle", and the name of the battles suggests a Grid. I can't help but imagine a chess-like neon-lit energy board that spans into the ground after battle is initiated; it strangely brings to mind Yu-gi-oh. So, my question is, how exactly is a Grid Battle carried out? I'd like to know the mechanics.

You said you were going to reveal more on that when you would make the RP thread, but I think it's a vital question that references another question of mine: if the Heroes of the Pokemon League and Team Paradox are the two available opposing factions for the roleplayers, and each use a different kind of battling (The Heroes would be using P.A.R.T.s and Team Paradox would refuse to use that, so they'd battle normally, right?), how are PCs of opposite factions to do battle with each other? One uses, P.A.R.T.s, other doesn't. Are those two compatible with each other?

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
Years
@Snooper16 interesting submission, a breath of fresh air. Pokemon abused for competitive purposes reminds me of the Shadow Pokemon concept, which I loved and thought it was neglected by the Pokemon franchise, so I should like to see something along the same or similar lines.

Reading through your idea, few questions immediately popped into my mind. If I understand correctly, the new "Grid Battles" are battles in which P.A.R.T.s are used by both trainers, and that these battles require advanced skills in Pokemon battling, offering a more challenging experience than normal battles. How so?You mentioned that P.A.R.T.s allow trainers to practically summon Pokemon "as though they are units in battle", and the name of the battles suggests a Grid. I can't help but imagine a chess-like neon-lit energy board that spans into the ground after battle is initiated; it strangely brings to mind Yu-gi-oh. So, my question is, how exactly is a Grid Battle carried out? I'd like to know the mechanics.

You said you were going to reveal more on that when you would make the RP thread, but I think it's a vital question that references another question of mine: if the Heroes of the Pokemon League and Team Paradox are the two available opposing factions for the roleplayers, and each use a different kind of battling (The Heroes would be using P.A.R.T.s and Team Paradox would refuse to use that, so they'd battle normally, right?), how are PCs of opposite factions to do battle with each other? One uses, P.A.R.T.s, other doesn't. Are those two compatible with each other?

You're absolutely right in that regard. The grid you described is exactly how I envisioned it, to be honest. I'll post the mechanics I've thought of so far to try and clear up your first question. As for your second question, the Pokemon League uses P.A.R.T. Pokemon, as you mentioned, while Team Paradox uses actual Pokemon. Another major difference between the factions is how they use items. Since everything is digital for the League, they "assist" their Pokemon with power-ups, whereas Team Paradox uses their own technology and held items. The reason Team Paradox can use held items is because their Pokemon are real, unlike the League's. I plan to create a list of available Pokemon soon, as well as starter decks (League) and starter teams (Team Paradox) that new RPers can choose from. The list won't be final, and will be updated every now and then as the RP progresses. I'll also be sure to include pictures of the actual grids themselves, so RPers will know the layout of common Grid boards they can use in battle. The board that is chosen is up to the RPer that challenges another. Anyways, without further ado, here are the mechanics and other details to answer your first question:

Phases in a Part Battle:
Roll- Roll the dice to see how much Atk/Def points you can get for a turn (for the sake of the RP, we'll use a random number generator).
Summon- You can summon Pokemon into battle. Pokemon are grouped into three sections: Small, Large, and Legendary/Megas. Each section takes up a different amount of "memory", and you can have up to eight slots of memory worth of summoned Pokemon at most (ten if you have the power-up Memory +2 or Memory Expansion Kit +2): Small: 1-2; Large: 2-3; Legendary 4-5; Mega Evolution (if the Mega Stone is equipped on the trainer): 4-5.
Move: Self-explanatory; you move units around on the board. Bear in mind that this will consume Attack points if any units move (you can save Attack points by not moving your units, but this is a decision on every RPers part).
Attack: Again, self-explanatory: Your Pokemon will make a move against another Pokemon. This consumes Attack points.
Defend: If you are being attacked, you can use a defensive move to counter the attack. This consumes Defense points from the last roll, since you can only defend yourself when you're being attacked. It's turn based, much like an actual card game.
Draw: Draw P.A.R.T.s from the deck (League)/Get more Pokemon and/or Items from the "Pool" (Team Paradox).

Items and other Useful Resources
There are various types of P.A.R.T.s, including:
P.A.R.T. Pokemon
P.A.R.T. Items
Power-Ups (lasts one turn, Hero-Side Only)
Super Power-Ups (lasts the whole match, Hero-side Only)

For Team Paradox, they use:
Real Pokemon
Real Items
Held Items (Dark-Side only)
Paradox Tech (Have varying effects, Dark-Side only)

Current Power-Ups/Paradox Tech List for your Reference:
Power-Ups/Super Power-Ups:
Atk +1 (Common)
Atk +2 (Common)
Atk +3 (Uncommon)
Atk DX (+6 Rare)
Def +1 (Common)
Def +2 (Common)
Def +3 (Uncommon)
Def DX (+6, Rare)
Memory +2 (Super Rare)
...Can be expanded upon with suggestions from the RPers; like I said, I'm very open to input...

Paradox Tech:
Metal Substitute (+50 HP, Rare)
Trap Net (Restrains P.A.R.T. Pokemon in a space on the Grid for easier attacking; has no effect on real Pokemon, Uncommon)
Memory Expansion Kit +2 (Super Rare)
...Can also be expanded upon with suggestions from the RPers...

Oh, and before I forget, it's more challenging than, say, a single battle, because you must think about the positions of each P.A.R.T./Real Pokemon on a board, as well as deciding how and when to use power-ups and items (or in the case of held items, when to equip them). I should also mention that each Pokemon has a particular range or line of attack on the grid. I'll post details for individual Pokemon when I start typing the list up. There'll only be a handful of Pokemon at first, but the list can and will be expanded upon with suggestions. Hope that answers your questions! :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hmm... well, I haven't ran nor been part of an RP that is structured this way, but I would suggest you avoid making it too technical. The way it is structured now, it sounds like you will have to do quite a bit of calculating for every battle, having to keep track of all the turns, cards drawn by the players, attacks thrown and items used, not to mention Pokemon movement in the grid. It might seem like a good idea for a board game, but in my experience, roleplays with a complex gaming system may not last as long because if they don't put off potential players who seek something simpler right off the bat, they might put them off soon after the RP's started. I feel like I have to warn you that to maintain an RP with as many parameters to keep track of would become a tedious business for you as the GM, and a tedious game for the players, who would want some freedom for writing without too many technicalities getting in the way.

Also, I had no idea that P.A.R.Tarot(s) actually referred to a card game. I'll admit I became a little confused by the mechanics at first, I read them a second time and I still am having second thoughts. You seem to fuse Pokemon battles with chess and a card game, which, in theory sounds good, but in practice might be far more difficult to pull off than you might think. One solution would be to simplify things in a system that will be concise, simple to understand and would not require constant maintenance and GM interference. My further suggestions would involve changing the core subject of the RP, decks and cards, so I don't feel like sharing them unless you ask me. I don't wish to discourage you from carrying it out if you feel that it it is going to work

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
Years
Hmm... well, I haven't ran nor been part of an RP that is structured this way, but I would suggest you avoid making it too technical. The way it is structured now, it sounds like you will have to do quite a bit of calculating for every battle, having to keep track of all the turns, cards drawn by the players, attacks thrown and items used, not to mention Pokemon movement in the grid. It might seem like a good idea for a board game, but in my experience, roleplays with a complex gaming system may not last as long because if they don't put off potential players who seek something simpler right off the bat, they might put them off soon after the RP's started. I feel like I have to warn you that to maintain an RP with as many parameters to keep track of would become a tedious business for you as the GM, and a tedious game for the players, who would want some freedom for writing without too many technicalities getting in the way.

Also, I had no idea that P.A.R.Tarot(s) actually referred to a card game. I'll admit I became a little confused by the mechanics at first, I read them a second time and I still am having second thoughts. You seem to fuse Pokemon battles with chess and a card game, which, in theory sounds good, but in practice might be far more difficult to pull off than you might think. One solution would be to simplify things in a system that will be concise, simple to understand and would not require constant maintenance and GM interference. My further suggestions would involve changing the core subject of the RP, decks and cards, so I don't feel like sharing them unless you ask me. I don't wish to discourage you from carrying it out if you feel that it it is going to work

Truth be told, I actually would want to make a game like this, but I unfortunately lack the scripting knowledge. But yeah, I totally see your point. I'll probably turn this into a fanfic or something. Thanks for your input, it really helped! :)

Years
This is something I tried to implement on another forum at which I tend to fail.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Brivoo

If any mods are reading this, go ahead and delete
Years
So, I've been looking through these roleplays everyone has going on, and while I think they're all pretty cool, I've noticed a sever lack of light-heartedness. Humour, if you will.

So I decided to post my own idea in this thread, accompanying it with a statement that could be mistaken for a thinly-veiled insult.

Spoiler:

It's a work in progress, I'll add more tomorrow from my dream journal and diary of drug-fueled ramblings.

(Drakath)

The Champion of Chaos
Years
I've had this Halo rp idea in mind for a while.
What do you think? (I'm not necessarily done yet)

Title: Halo: Contact Harvest

9781427202505.jpg

Story: The year is 2524, faster-than-light technology has allowed humanity to spread across the galaxy, founding new colonies administrated by the United Nations Space Command, or UNSC. One of these colonies is Harvest.

Harvest is a UEG Agriculture World. The colony was the seventeenth to be settled, and the most remote at the time of its founding. Although Harvest itself is only one-third the size of Earth, its fertile surface serves as the breadbasket for the other colonies. Harvest's surface is beautiful, covered in grassland and forests, lush fields and rolling hills, and a thousand lakes swarming with fish. The orchards are filled with luscious crops. At night, bats filled the skies.

On Harvest, there is only peace and prosperity. However, this peace is interrupted when, the United Nations Space Command Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) notices strange disappearances of human ships around Harvest, and assumes that Insurrectionists are attacking the vessels. ONI pulls Staff Sergeants Avery Johnson and Nolan Byrne from the frontlines of the civil war to raise a militia to protect Harvest.

You: You are a member of the United Nations Space Command. Currently aboard a Pelican on its way to the UNSC Walk of Shame, an ambush for the Insurrectionists. As a member of the UNSC (Spartan, Marine, ODST, ect.), your current duty is to protect Harvest.

Rules:
Follow all PC and RP Corner rules.

This RP will loosely follow the events of the book: Halo Contact Harvest.

Be fair, don't make your character overly unbeatable, and never bunny another player's character without their permission.

To keep track of everything I recommend a notepad app (but use whatever you are comfortable with)

Years
So, I said earlier that I was playing around with the idea of an RP combining a Western setting with magic elements. I have now decided that I'm definitely going to go ahead with this. I don't have a write-up yet, but I've got most of my ideas set and I just wanted to see what you think of it.

Gunpowder

Premise
Spoiler:

Bounty Hunters and Bandits
Spoiler:

Mechanics
Spoiler:

Locations
Spoiler:

That's what I have so far.
Apart from your opinions it would be appreciated if someone could help me find a large number of western-looking character portraits I could use.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
So, I said earlier that I was playing around with the idea of an RP combining a Western setting with magic elements. I have now decided that I'm definitely going to go ahead with this. I don't have a write-up yet, but I've got most of my ideas set and I just wanted to see what you think of it.

Gunpowder

Premise
Spoiler:

Bounty Hunters and Bandits
Spoiler:

Mechanics
Spoiler:

Locations
Spoiler:

That's what I have so far.
Apart from your opinions it would be appreciated if someone could help me find a large number of western-looking character portraits I could use.
This looks so nice, it's making me eager to join. I wouldn't recommend using character portraits like Klippy did in his zombie rp though. While it's nice to have faces on your players' characters, and while it can be a way to jog their imagination if they have trouble creating a character, I think it's better to let the players choose freely what their character should look like. Within reason :B Not sure if that was what you meant with character portraits but just in case.

Also what rating would it be? Full M?

Years
This looks so nice, it's making me eager to join. I wouldn't recommend using character portraits like Klippy did in his zombie rp though. While it's nice to have faces on your players' characters, and while it can be a way to jog their imagination if they have trouble creating a character, I think it's better to let the players choose freely what their character should look like. Within reason :B Not sure if that was what you meant with character portraits but just in case.

Also what rating would it be? Full M?

The portraits aren't for player characters, they're for the large number of NPCs - since there's going to be a constant list of wanted people. I might just find another way of doing it though.

I think I'd go with a full M, I usually do in all honesty.

Glad you like the idea :D
I've actually nearly finished writing it up now, I just need to get a map sorted.

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
Years
I've actually been thinking of a Roleplay myself. It will be based off of SCP Containment Breach. SCP Containment Breach, for those of you who don't know, is a game that takes place in a secret government society that deals with paranormal artifacts and creatures, in other words, something that has a weird effect. For example, one of these artifacts could be an axe that makes the holder feel nauseous, or a book that isn't effected by gravity. My idea for the Roleplay is tat each player is one of the researchers studying these artifacts, and everyone gets to create an artifact they study.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I've actually been thinking of a Roleplay myself. It will be based off of SCP Containment Breach. SCP Containment Breach, for those of you who don't know, is a game that takes place in a secret government society that deals with paranormal artifacts and creatures, in other words, something that has a weird effect. For example, one of these artifacts could be an axe that makes the holder feel nauseous, or a book that isn't effected by gravity. My idea for the Roleplay is tat each player is one of the researchers studying these artifacts, and everyone gets to create an artifact they study.
That is the creepiest thing I have ever youtubed/read on the internet. I know Greiger will likely jump and dance at this though, why can't we tag people in posts yet hmm

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Creepy? I didn't think it would creep anyone out. Didn't creep me out. Guess I'm not easily disturbed.

Should I not make this Roleplay then? Or just give it a M?
Maybe I just came across the creepiest things. Such as that thing that you need to stare at at all times or it will do something *shudder*, or that staircase that goes on and on forever while a bodyless face haunts you. Or was that from somewhere else?

If there's no gore or such mature stuff in it, an M rating won't be necessary of course.

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
Years
Maybe I just came across the creepiest things. Such as that thing that you need to stare at at all times or it will do something *shudder*, or that staircase that goes on and on forever while a bodyless face haunts you. Or was that from somewhere else?

If there's no gore or such mature stuff in it, an M rating won't be necessary of course.

Oh. I should probably have mentioned that the SCP foundation is a creepypasta website xD

Sorry.

But back on track. Do you think this is a good idea for a Roleplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back