• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Pixel Art Discussion Thread

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
wow i gotta medal!
so unexpected!
yay yay yay

so let's start the wpc 22 that i think skippend a very boring week:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin

Years
I think pre-historic scratch sprite is a very viable theme because it's not as specific per se, but it's better than a "4-legged pre-historic dinosaur scratch sprite" then you go and have colour restrictions being "green hues only" then we may run into problems.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I LOVE THIS WEEKS WPC THEME!

Great idea to kick-off Fall.

Years
Umm, on my side of the world it's Spring. Can I do Spring or do I have to do 'Fall' (Autumn) as well?

You have to do Fall/Autumn. It's the theme, and it doesn't really state that it's following any format or time-based places. Honestly, for me it's the beginning of September and for a lot of people in North America, it means Fall/Autumn or beginning of a school year so that's the main reason the theme was chosen. I plan to do other season-based themes as well such as Winter in the future even though it may or may not be very close or not close at all to Winter

tl;dr autumn theme

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years
hi i have a Erika sprite
Spr_B2W2_Erika.png
i dont like something about it at 1st i thought it was the outlining but after zooming i realized it wasn't this is for 64x64 trainer resource

Years
Spriter's Showcase Thread is to get critique from your artwork. This place is strictly discussion about pixel art and pixel art mediums, also this is for the Weekly Pixel Contest discussion.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
If you want it critiqued, try actually reading Logie's post and go put the sprite in the Spriter's Showcase Thread.

Anywho, I've been kind of wondering. I know there are some cheats to pixelling out there, like playing with Photoshop's filters to make an image look like pixel art. Anyone ever try something like that? And if so, what do you use?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Has the "posts on personal showcase threads must contain constructive criticism" rule been lifted? I've looked at a few showcases recently, and the sprites were good enough that I didn't really have any critiques. Other people have just been posting things like "good job I like your sprites", though.

Years
I've been meaning to lighten that rule. Critique is appreciative but not exactly necessary as some posts can be based solely on comments, but the comments should have a reason. If they're posting "nice x sprite, it's awesome," then I don't exactly allow it but if they added onto it more and gave reason such as defining the clean outline or clean shading, design, concept, etc. then it would be a good comment.

Constructive criticism is an important part of an art forum, it helps the artist better himself/herself. Although I said it is appreciative, it's also highly recommended because I'm sure the artists themselves want to improve.
The rule for the showcase thread says that there must be constructive criticism because it's not any ordinary gallery thread with multiple kinds of sprites and pixel art. The main point to the showcase thread is to point out one piece out of the others and have it improved by receiving CC.

Last edited:
Years
Here's a topic or something everyone can discuss about regarding the WPC:

Do you think the entries should be voted on to determine the winner?

I want to improve the contests and add more fairness. I feel contestants might feel uneasy about one judge deciding the winners and everything.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Here's a topic or something everyone can discuss about regarding the WPC:

Do you think the entries should be voted on to determine the winner?

I want to improve the contests and add more fairness. I feel contestants might feel uneasy about one judge deciding the winners and everything.

I would say that three judges might be good.
I am not too sure about voting; people vote for their friends, ect.
Another thing might be to have a score card, so we can expect how our sprites will be judged.
Anyone have any other thoughts?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I think I would prefer impartial judges above anything else. Showing the judges the sprites without telling them who made which sprite would be ideal, though I think to properly critique the sprites they would have to know a bit about spriting; if you just showed them to random PC users, you would need a pretty big sample size to eliminate people that voted just because they like Wooper, or like the color yellow, or something.

Maybe a rotating panel of judges? I know that Scarf is active on PC, but hasn't been posting in the WPC threads.

edit: While I understand why a rule against double-posting exists, sometimes it doesn't really work. For example, I'm editing this post a week later to talk about the latest WPC so that I can avoid double-posting, but nobody will know there's a new post here unless they actually come to the latest page of this thread, and only if they read this post. Ah well.

I'm not exactly proud of my entry into the competition. When it launched I made a list of fourteen Pokemon I thought might work well (including Castform, Spoink, and Mawile), and originally intended to make an evolution of Sharpedo with a large protruding forehead. I ended up being unable to find the time for it until tonight, and after trying several things out, I just couldn't come up with something that I liked.

With only an hour left to enter, I shifted gears and started thinking about what I could do with a Chimecho evolution; since Chimecho is so simple, it wouldn't take much to make it more complex. After a bit of research, I decided to base it on a Japanese pellet drum, more for lack of a better idea than anything else. I actually kind of like the concept, and think it could be adapted into a cute sprite, but rushing as I was and with less than an hour to go it didn't turn out as well as it could have.

2i8ao9j.png

It's not a terrible sprite, but it's sloppy in places. The linework is clearly very basic (how quickly circles and curved lines can be made is part of why I went with this design), I completely forgot about the diagonal striped pattern I was going to put on the handle, and the face... Well, I was down to the last ten minutes. I'm likely not going to win any awards for this one, but the point is to have fun, right? With that in mind, some kind of speed challenge may be interesting in the future, though I'm not sure how that would be arranged.

Last edited:

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
I think a voting system would be good to determine winners.

And congrats on the winners of the contest. And you did win something, Chesu. So your sprite is obviously good enough.

I got an honorable mention. Yay me~ :D

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I honestly don't agree with the results... Forekast seemed the clear winner to me.

I you want to put it up to a vote, you should have the entrants send their entries in private messages, to avoid bias in the results.

loucas

100% hot
Years
I checked for days and days, the thread, to see who won wpc, and i realized it was closed so i thought no one won or it was forgotten.

i'm excited because it was my first time participating.

i also thought that the castform evolution should have won, thanks anyways, for the appreciation of my work,
btw i think votation is a good idea.

Years
I think I can trust on people to judge which is more appealing.

Also, I'll be pausing the WPC as I need to organize more and recap the beginning of the WPC to this point. Thanks for participating, everyone!

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Is it too late for me to give a little input on WPC? If so, then please feel free to ignore this post!

The problem I see with voting is that, while it may have a respectable amount of voters in the beginning, inevitably, the numbers will taper off until it's a meager few. It's similar to what happened in the old rom hack of the week voting, and what's happening (in a way) with the recent game of the month in the game dev forum. The only way I can see getting around it would be to require a certain number of votes to pick a winner (first to 5 or something for example), but that, of course, poses its own problems.

I personally like the way that the judging was done on the pixel contest for PCX, where the judges scored the sprites based on the individual categories, and showed what they rated each part. Transparency, I believe, would clear any sort of cries of bias or any other uncomfortableness surrounding a set judge, especially if said judges explained their scores when prompted.

Years
I've experimented with polls in the past with the Pixel Art Duels and such, and it was very successful. Even people who don't frequent the section voted during those polls and it created a lot of attraction and attention. I can't say that we'll get the same numbers for the WPC at this time, but I think it is worth giving a shot.

If necessary, we can use the anonymous-participation where a participant sends in their entry by PM to the host so we can prevent biased voting.

Back