• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I think I agree with Charmageddon. While its a good idea, you'd be limited to like 4 Pokemon per run, which isn't that bad, but still, you're almost doing a solo challenge.

redsaber5859

Banned
Years
Hm slave challenge
You would go through with only pokemon that are hm slaves, such as a bibarel with strength, cut, surf, and I forgot what else lol, you must have all pokemon the pat know an hm, and to make it more challenging, ONLY out of battle moves, like sweet scent, hms, dig, etc.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Hm slave challenge
You would go through with only pokemon that are hm slaves, such as a bibarel with strength, cut, surf, and I forgot what else lol, you must have all pokemon the pat know an hm, and to make it more challenging, ONLY out of battle moves, like sweet scent, hms, dig, etc.
That's sort of similar-but-actually-opposite to pachy's challenge. I see this one being more feasible, with significantly fewer rules. One thing you might want to add in is that once your Pokemon learns an HM, it can only use that HM, unless it learns another HM. So like, if you had a Bibarel that knew Cut, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Hyper Beam, you couldn't use Hyper Beam.

redsaber5859

Banned
Years
That's sort of similar-but-actually-opposite to pachy's challenge. I see this one being more feasible, with significantly fewer rules. One thing you might want to add in is that once your Pokemon learns an HM, it can only use that HM, unless it learns another HM. So like, if you had a Bibarel that knew Cut, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Hyper Beam, you couldn't use Hyper Beam.

Good idea, and ya, is kinda like pachysandra, but mine is more strict as you can o ly have hms and out of battle moves

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Is there any way to give multiple people the ability to edit the original post on threads? I'm pretty sure moderators can delete messages that they find offensive or spam, but can ordinary people be given some kind of special privilege for certain threads without just making an account for the thread and giving each person the password?

hack1

Dragon Green
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2015
There should be Single Species challenge where you can use only one species of Pokemon. My R/S/E Monotype was like that because I used only Linoones.

More ideas for PMD:
-PMD Scramble Challenge
-PMD Rercruit First Poke and use it Challenge
-PMD Nuzlocke Challenge (You can't use "Dead" team members anymore (Partner doesn't count))

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Here's the reason I was wondering:

One thing that I wouldn't mind seeing is a big edit of challenges. Like, there is a Monotype for every generation, as well as the ultimate. Same for Solo, and there are many other challenges that cover multi-generations in multiple challenges (Nuzlocke, Color, Gym Leader, etc). I wouldn't mind seeing a big cutdown, and only having one challenge for each of these. The OP would be a little more cluttered, but it could very easily just have one section describing the challenge and a spoiler for every generation (including the Ultimate). The reason I would propose this is that many people who do Ultimate Runs also sign up for the single runs (myself included). They would only have to place their updates in one place, and the number of challenges would drastically decrease and become more organized. Here is an example of what the Monotype Challenge would look like:

Monotype Challenge!!!
Play through a game using a team consisting of Pokemon that share a type.
Rules:
Spoiler:

Challengers:
RBY:
Spoiler:

GSC:
Spoiler:

RSE:
Spoiler:

FR/LG:
Spoiler:

DPPt:
Spoiler:

HG/SS:
Spoiler:

Ulitimate Monotype Challenge:

One game not enough for you? Try this challenge, then. Beat every region with the same type. That means you can choose one game from RBY FR/LG, one from GSC HG/SS, one from RSE, and one from DPPt.
Challengers:
Spoiler:

This way, all those challenges would be combined into one, easy place for people to go. But we don't want the people who have the challenges to lose their status as OP if they still want to maintain it. So why not let multiple people maintain them (if possible). This will also result in the OP getting updated more frequently, if more people can update it.

Melody

Banned
Years
Hm slave challenge

...That's a horrible idea really. I considered that myself when composing my post, but I figured that would be far far too difficult since that severely limits the movepool to a tiny percentage. You would not be able to successfully complete the game without a lot of grinding. Most HMs don't do a terrible amount of damage. (You'd need a level 100 Pokemon to clear the e4)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I dunno, you'd still be able to use Surf, Fly, Strength, Rock Climb, and Waterfall (depending on what game you play) and most Pokemon can learn at least one of those. Cut would be useless, but Flash for lowering accuracy would have a place, and Rock Smash is actually really useful.

Melody

Banned
Years
Despite that, they don't have a lot of power. They do damage, but not much. That and you have to consider types and such. Imagine trying to kill a steel type with nothing but HMs. Especially a Steelix in the E4, where the CPU is far more aggressive in it's play.

I've tested that before, pushing an HM slave through the E4, and it's almost impossible to do. The point of my challenge was to be challenging, but not next-to-impossible. (because my idea isn't just for challenge masters, it's meant to be doable by anyone...even a complete Pokemon Challenge novice.)

But yeah. Limited type selection and a very limited choice of moves, depending on which pokemon you choose would make it quite difficult to battle against types with resistance to the HM types. You'd be stalled for hours. Personally I think a challenge is a waste of time if it can't be completed in less than 20 hours...I guarantee you it'd take longer than 20 hours if you were only allowed to use HM moves in battle, because of the insane amount of grinding you'd have to do in order to beat the Gym Leaders and E4, not to mention the canon storyline battles with the Rival, and Evil Team(s) of the version.

Additionally there are only 6 rules overall to my challenge, but I spent time to flesh the rules out to explain what to do in different situations.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2018
How about a challenge like a solo run, but you have 6 of that Pokemon?
I think that you be kinda fun.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
How about a challenge like a solo run, but you have 6 of that Pokemon?
I think that you be kinda fun.
I actually thought about doing this at one time, except only with 6 Bibarels/Raticates (one time was blue and one time was diamond). I don't think that it would be a good idea though, because solo runs are hard. You'd just be making the challenge easier if you let them have more pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I actually thought about doing this at one time, except only with 6 Bibarels/Raticates (one time was blue and one time was diamond). I don't think that it would be a good idea though, because solo runs are hard. You'd just be making the challenge easier if you let them have more pokemon.

I did that with 6 Bibarel and got bored. It's not a particularly fun challenge imo.

...That's a horrible idea really. I considered that myself when composing my post, but I figured that would be far far too difficult since that severely limits the movepool to a tiny percentage. You would not be able to successfully complete the game without a lot of grinding. Most HMs don't do a terrible amount of damage. (You'd need a level 100 Pokemon to clear the e4)

You're forgetting that it's called a challenge for a reason. I had an HM challenge for RSE long ago, but the rules allowed for one non-HM STAB move. For example, I had a Blaziken with Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, and Blaze Kick. All HMs had to be on the team and whoever could learn it had to learn it, unless it would take away your one STAB move.

Is there any way to give multiple people the ability to edit the original post on threads? I'm pretty sure moderators can delete messages that they find offensive or spam, but can ordinary people be given some kind of special privilege for certain threads without just making an account for the thread and giving each person the password?

Yeah, I can delete and edit posts, but y'all can't get those editing powers. I personally think it's stupid to make an account for one challenge. What if it falls through? What if one member goes crazy and trolls around the forum? Then you'd all get in trouble. Besides, it's just a challenge. It's not important enough for its own account.

Last edited:

ArcanineOod

DESU.
Years
-PMD Rercruit First Poke and use it Challenge
-PMD Nuzlocke Challenge (You can't use "Dead" team members anymore (Partner doesn't count))

I do like the first one, but I, for one, hardly use team members apart from my partner and myself anyway, so it wouldn't bother me very much not being able to use the 'dead' team members.

Years
Some one should make something like a rare pokemon challenge where you have to use the rarest pokemon on the games like Milotic for RSE or Spiritomb in DPPt, because it would be really hard to catch all of the rarest pokemon on one game before the elite four.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It would take too long to get that rare Pokemon. You would have gone through half the game without it, so...

Unless you can think of other rare Pokemon. In RBY, Clefairy is hard to find. And the Safari Zone stuff is difficult, too. Like Kangaskhan, Tauros, and Chansey. And I guess One-of Pokemon would be included. Snorlax, Sudowoodo, you get me. Fossils could count, too. It just depends on what's considered "rare". And people would end up having the same teams, so...not much diversity imo.

Just because I kinda dig this challenge idea though, here's what I consider rare (excluding legendaries), in case anyone wants to start this one:

RBY/FRLG: Starter, Snorlax, Eevee+evolutions, Porygon, Kangaskhan, Tauros, Chansey, Lickitung, Farfetch'd, Clefairy/Clefable, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Dratini+evolutions, Omanyte/star, Kabuto/tops, Aerodactyl

GSC/HGSS: Starter, Sudowoodo, Shuckle, Lapras, Eevee+evolutions, Togepi/Togetic, Odd Egg's Pokemon (Crystal only), Dunsparce, Quilfish, Porygon(2), red Gyarados

RSE: Starter, Ralts+evolutions, Lileep/Cradily, Anorith/Armaldo, Absol, Feebas/Milotic, Relicanth, Castform, Beldum+evos, Chimecho

DPPt: Starter, Spiritomb, Feebas/Milotic, Eevee+evos (Platinum only), Cranidos/Rampardos, Shieldon/Bastiodon, Vespiquen, Mothim, Wormadam, Drifloon/blim, Riolu/Lucario, Skorupi/Drapion, Rotom, Porygon(2/Z -- Plat only)

Feel free to suggest more, or tell me why something shouldn't be in the list. RSE is the most difficult one, imo.

Last edited:
Years
That's the kind of thing I mean, just catching the hard to find pokemon, like Seedot in Pokemon Emerald and Bagon in RSE for example.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Ugh, I forgot Seedot. But yeah, I'm sure this could work. Forgot to put Bagon too. :| Considering how long you have to wait to be able to get it, then yeah, kinda rare. I've played RSE so many times though that I've found everything there is to find, so not much seems rare to me I guess.

Edit: And, just for the heck of it, if you just so happen to find a shiny, since that's rare, it can be used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back