• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Triple/Rotation Battles

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Two new styles of battle were introduced this generation!
Triple Battles- 3 v 3 Pokemon, the Pokemon on the edges can only attack the opponent's Pokemon on the same side as them and the middle Pokemon

Rotation Battles- 1 vs 1 at a time, however, 3 are on the field. You can also rotate Pokemon to take the hit from the opponent's Pokemon, and then attack from there.

Did you like these new battles?

I liked them, personally! They were fun and new but I was surprised at how there was a lack of them actually in the game. Like, there was that one trainer in Opelucid that could be rechallenged and a few randoms, but nobody important. I mean, in the beginning there were 3 Gym Leaders and there wasn't a triple or rotation battle involved in some way? Instead we get some weird monkey? Anyyywayyy I felt like they could've been more involved somehow. wbu?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
To be more specific, both players pick the Pokémon to go in front in Rotation Battles before either Pokémon takes a turn. I play the two in Opelucid daily (the Elemental Apes are worth a lot more experience, upstairs doesn't get you even what an Audino gets you) and have many times gone to attack a Pokémon in front from the prior turn only to have it rotated out of view, and suddenly my Pokémon in front is attacking resistance, then taking the full force of a weakness.

I like the idea of Rotation Battles. It's kinda cool, and choosing the wrong Pokémon to put in front at any time can ruin the battle completely. Every turn of a rotation battle can prove to be important more than a regular battle because, if your opponent has one out that is strong against your last two, (s)he can leave that one out front and you're a goner. My first fight against the Lv.39 Apes turned into a massacre because I chose to put my Fire Monkey (yes, I hadn't evolved them yet) went out in front to attack the Grass one...as her Water one takes the lead. Insert wipeout. I then seeked the Grass one...and she rotates Fire. I quickly reset my 3DS. XD

If you know who you're fighting, it might be good to have Pokémon stronger against two of them, but take the third one who is not weak to any of their types of attacks and use it as the pincushion until the other team drops a member or two, then you have an easy way to win.

In short, yes, I kinda liked it.

Triple Battles are just Double Battles plus an extra member. Want something fun? Find Flying types (or Levitate) and walk in with an Excadrill or Krokodile in the middle, and use Earthquake. Massive carnage.

Cyclone

Years
I loved these battles! Triple battles were less interesting (unfortunately for me since I had white) but I liked the new concepts overall.
The lack of them, however was striking. I know there weren't a TON of double battles in RS but there were more than like 3.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
I absolutely love triple battles. The only bad thing about them is that, in the ONLY place I can find them, which is via WiFi, everybody and her grandma ragequits on you...
I love all the combos and ideas you get once on the battlefield, or planning your team, and there's some epic battles out there, like yesterday, I was battling a japanese girl, and she used beat up on her Terrakion... I was so surprised! Lotsa fun.
Rotation battles, I don't love them as much, but I've tried them a couple of times. Less strategy, more pokemon taking eachother out until there's no other left.

Years
I actually liked the concept of both Triple Battles and Rotation Battles.

Triple Battles were kinda fun since you can gang up on the opponent and take them out with combining attacks. Talk about teamwork! There's also loads of strategies to play with.

Rotation Battles weren't as interesting (I have Black) but at least it's easier and requires more planning cos it's so unpredictable when your opponent rotates a Pokemon.

However, I enjoyed them both the same due to the strategies involved.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
Ohhh I absolutely loved them.

Triple battles were so cool.

And the Rotation battles were even better. The rotation battles were my favourite cos they are kinda strategic cos it requires u to rotate at the right time to get you weakness, strength advantage.

So yeah great fun :D

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm a ridiculous purist when it comes to battling (i.e. 1-vs-1 only) so I was definitely very un-receptive to the notion of triple/rotation battles. To me, it's kinda gimmicky and was glad that they weren't as prevalent in BW as they certainly could have been. I know I'm in the minority in this one, and I'm guess I'm glad they exist to give everyone else such a sense of joy and happiness, but I'm glad they weren't a big feature in the main-game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I dislike rotational battles because to me they need no skill whatsoever tbh. I mean sure you can say it involves strategy but really it's so unpredictable unlike triples which are just a more complicated version of singles. :(

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I really enjoyed triple battles, since I've always liked double battles and they just built on that.

Rotation battles were okay, but I found them quite frustrating because my opponent would rotate when I didn't want them too haha.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I generally enjoyed both, but I fell they weren't used nearly enough. It would've been nice to have to option to have more during the general storyline and maybe have access to it at the Battle Subway.
This is an excellent point. Making Rotational Battles a train option on the Battle Subway would have been an excellent idea. Triple Battles as well, no version exclusivity as far as trains go. Then the cars could all perhaps be 35 battles in one trip instead of separate 21 and 49 battle stretches. Heck, get rid of Anville Town and have the extra train there.

Cyclone

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Well,
i fricken loved them <3
It gave me the same feeling when i first was playing through the hoenn region and those twins battled you with the lotad and seedot(remember it exactly;)
My only problem is that there was only about 3 or 4 in the game

at least rse advertised double battles better with tate&liza

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
I loved the concept of both. Rotation battles were amazing, seeing as I could make a tactical switch to which Pokemon could get the job done.

Triple battles were fun as well, but I'm too used to double battles.

Back