• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Eighteen - Fire and Water

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 8
Generation: I (on Blue)

Battle Against Rival Holden:

• Epic music and... wait. He has a new sprite? That's not fair.
  • Sent out Ringo against his Pidgeot. Wanted someone that could hit hard and fast. Critical Flamethrower was a 1HKO.
  • Switched to Felix for Alakazam. Surprisingly, Body Slam was a near 1HKO. Psychic and Psybeam brought me down to 93 HP, which wasn't too bad.
  • Back to Ringo for his Rhydon. Earthquake only did about half. He only use Fury Attack. Unfortunately, the next Earthquake left him with 1HP (this seems to be a recurring theme in my playthrough...). Well, Rhydon use Tail Whip (lulz) and it missed, and he also didn't heal up.
  • Sent out Trixie for Arcanine. She used Dig (left him in the low yellow) and he used Leer. Only took one more Dig, which was also a Critical. That's another recurring theme; getting Crits when I don't need them!
  • Kept her in for Exeggutor and... Flamethrower didn't KO? And Hypnosis hit? I thought it had horrible accuracy. Played the Poke Flute to wake Trixie up. Damn Exeggutor used Hypnosis again. Finally, it used Stomp and I let it die a horrible painful death fainted it with another Flamethrower.
  • Here's the big one. I sent out Felix for a Toxic. And... it missed. Blastoise used Withdraw, which is also bad. I was counting on Physical attacks. The next Toxic hit, though. It continued to Withdraw, so I figured I'd try a Flamethrower. It still used Withdraw. The next Flamethrower put it in the low yellow. Then it used Hydro Pump (every Hydro Pump in this playthrough has hit so far. Wtf.) Felix fainted and I sent out Ringo. His Flamethrower was enough to finish the job. AND he grew another level.
It's finally over. So long to Kanto. Please move me to Johto. We're 1/4th of the way there.

Amazing Team
:
rbspr006.png

Ringo (Level 64)
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Slash
- Swords Dance
rbspr038.png

Trixie (Level 61)
- Flamethrower
- Fire Spin
- Dig
- Confuse Ray
rbspr136.png

Felix (Level 61)
- Body Slam
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Double-Edge

---
EDIT (I know it's not required, but...):
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Nineteen - What Does One Do with 96 Hyper Potions, 50 Revives, 20 Full Heals, and Lots of Money? You Buy 50 Ultra Balls and 30 Max Repels. Then You Go In the Cerulean Cave.

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 8
Generation: I (on Blue)

Battle Against Mewtwo (Attempt 1):

• We haven't forgotten about our favorite failed genetic experiment. I plan to capture it. Unfortunately, the only status ailment that I can use ease its capture is Felix's Toxic, which isn't ideal for two reasons. One, it causes damage. Secondly, the damage increases. Well, let's try it.
  • Felix is up front and I set up Toxic while it used Barrier. It continued to use Barrier, so I tried a Flamethrower which Critical'd. It used Psychic which brought me under half, then it healed. It healed and I used Flamethrower bringing it back to the yellow. It finished Felix off with Psychic.
  • I brought out Trixie and Mewtwo used Swift. Then, Trixie's Flamethrower Critical'd and fainted Mewtwo... Darn.
Battle Against Mewtwo (Attempt 2):

• Once more with feeling. Mewtwo wasted his first turn with Recover while I set up Toxic. He used Barrier while I used Flamethrower, and he kept using Recover over and over again. Finally, Flamethrower and Toxic together brought Mewtwo in the red, so I threw and Ultra Ball... which missed. I was worried that Toxic would KO Mewtwo, but he used Recover. Toxic brought Mewtwo back in the yellow, but I didn't want to put any more damage on it. I threw an Ultra Ball just to waste a turn, but it actually worked and it caught Mewtwo... that was way easier than in FR!
So, I flew to Viridian City and released all my fellow HM Slaves and even Mewtwo to wreck havoc on the city. I walked back to Pallet Town, said hello to my mom, and I went upstairs to play my SNES. Ringo, Trixie, and Felix. You were awesome.

The End of Kanto

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2010
Fire Monotype Challenge - The Beginning !

Trainer Name - David
Badges - 0
Generation: 1 !

It begins !:

• I gain my name... David .
  • I name my Rival Izzy for some odd reason .
  • The famous shrink down happens ! [:
  • I pick my first pokemon, Charmander !
  • I pwn Izzy =D
  • I make Pidgey's and Rattata's go extinct .
  • I gain a Parcel to deliver to Prof.Oak
  • I fight my Rival Izzy, he seems to have caught a Pidgey and leveled his Squirtle up a bit . A single Ember KO's his blasted bird, and two Scratches KO's his water turtle [:
----------------------Next up, Viridian Forest !--------------------------

Last edited:
Years
I would like to take on the Fire monotype challenge then.

However, am I allowed to make atleast one trade so I can get Charmander because I will be on Platinum...

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2012
Finally!

So I just got back to this, and after much level grinding, I managed beat the Kanto Elite Four!

Raticate (Lv. 58)
Clefable (Lv. 56)
Snorlax (Lv. 58)
Tauros (Lv. 57)

Snorlax's Toxic/Rest combo saved me on multiple occasions. Clefable was amazing throughout the game, and Raticate caused some big damage. Tauros was pretty good too.

I'll be ready to start Johto now.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Ultimate Monotype Challenge Water:
Book 1 Chapter 3: A Bridge, A Maniac and a Watery Tart!

So when we last left off, I was just coming to Cerulean to show Misty a thing or to, but before I get to that, I decided to check out what new and exciting opportunities await me in this new place. Well, I immediately noted a bridge filled with several trainers and on my way up, out of nowhere my rival appears and brags about his pokemon being superior but I wiped him with just Dennis. I trained my Magikarp in an attempt to bring it closer to evolving. I went all up and down that route showing various trainers a thing or two.

After the wake of destruction I had left in my pass, I was pleased to learn that Magikarp had leveled up enough to finally attack, and better yet do it with his monstrous attack stat of 10…(GameFreak had no troubles programming him.) So I trained him more with Misty's trainers in her gym and went on my way to face Misty.

Misty was easy, her Staryu went down in two bites and her Starmie went down in one. Not much, got the water pulse TM which I will teach to my Gyarados, eventually. With Misty left in my wake, muhahaha, I went through a robbed house, I figured they had more to worry about, and fought a rocket grunt who was reluctant to give me back TM28, dig, used on Wartortle for Surge. So I went through an underground tunnel and wound up close to Vermillion City. I had to battle various campers and bug catchers but, not only did I get there, I got there with a brand new Gyarados. I stand perched ready to explore the S.S. Anne and take on Lt. Surge.

My Team:

greenspr008.png
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/greenspr/greenspr008.png

Dennis
Lv. 27
Bite
Mega Punch
Dig
Water Gun

greenspr130.png
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/greenspr/greenspr130.png

Gyarados
Lv. 20
Splash
Tackle
Bite
Water Pulse

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
How far along are you? Once you get the red scale, underleveled won't be a problem - When I went through Crystal on the water challenge, I had the Extremespeed Dratini hold the Exp.Share to the end... too bad I lost my data for that challenge.

Currently, I'm getting Surf from the Kimono Girls.

But yeah, I decided to ditch the useless Electrics. I think I won't get Electabuzz either. It's only level 15-17. >___<

Oh well, I'm sure it's doable with just Lanturn and Ampharos. :)

I can't wait for 3rd gen though. <___<

I absolutely loved 1st gen, it's my favorite gen of all time. =D

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
To be specific, the rules say no trading if you can get a pokemon of the chosen type before the second gym of the game. But yeah, Kanto first. If you just want to do Sinnoh, there should be a Monotype Challenge thread over in the 4th Gen Threads area for it.

Years
There is no mono type challenge in the Sinnoh thread. Only a solo runner (1 Pokemon) challenge. I came here to have a little fun, I can't help I don't where my Blue version or Gameboy is. I haven't touched it in ages and we've moved from 2 different houses since I last have seen it.

I don't see how it's fair to "make" you play Kanto first. What's it matter where you start?

Phaux

Legend Hunter
Years
So I decided on fire instead, and thanks to using an emulator, beat the E4 in just an hour on Red version.

Here's what I used...

Spr_1b_006.png

Charizard Level 76
Attacks:
Strength
Flamethrower
Body Slam
Dig

...I didn't really feel like doing much in generation one, compared to how the game is now, it feels so ancient, especially the way HM moves and the bags are.

I actually had trouble against Koga and his stupid minimize, it knocked out Charizard the first time when I used dig and it missed, while on the E4 is was pretty much just one shotting everything, Matt's (my rival) Blastoise was the only thing that even worried me, and I got it in two hits.

Anyway, I'll start on generation two later...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Update tiem~!
- Entered the tower in Lavender
- Beat Rival easily, using Vaporeon and Gyarados much
- Beat the whole tower, channelers, the ghost and TR -> got Poké Flute
- Visited the name rater :]
- Went tot Celadon and beat Erika
- Got HM02 (methinks? FLY) from the girl above the cycling road
- Beat all the fishermen on the bridges south of Lavender
- Got Super Rod, caught Krabby and Goldeen
- Caught the Snorlax there for the lulz but I don't use it
- Beat cycling road and did not catch the Snorlax there
- Went to Fuchsia
- God Good Rod
- Caught Poliwag
- Poliwag evolved into Poliwhirl and then Poliwrath with a Water Stone
- Went quickly through Safari Zone and got SURF HM03.
- Gave the Warden the teeth and got HM04 STRENGTH

- Will now go and beat the Silph building before challenging Koga and Sabrina

Team tiem~!
rbspr009.png

BADASS the Blastoise
LV. 43

rbspr130.png

GANGSTA the Gyarados
LV. 40

rbspr134.png

VILLAIN the Vaporeon
LV. 37

rbspr062.png

POLICE the Poliwrath
LV. 34

HM SLAVE Sandshrew
- Cut
- Strength

HM SLAVE Spearow
- Fly

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Ultimate Monotype Challenge Water
Book 1 Chapter 4: Bon Voyage Vermillion.

I arrived in Vermillion with my new Gyarados, got me pokemonz heald. Then I went to the SS Anne. Once Aboard I fought all the trainers with relative ease, the few who had a Pikachu were a little problem, only because of static. I found my way to my rival, easily destroyed his first two pokemon with a few bites and water pulses. Ivysaur gave me a bit of trouble. I switched into Wartortle, because he knows dig, but Ivysaur had to be a pain the you know what, and after I used dig, it used leech seed, I thought, whatevs, I can still kill it first, then it used sleep powder, and kept vine whipping me, and naturally, I stayed asleep for all 5 turns, and promptly died. Switched to Gyarados, used water pulse until confusion set in, then tackled it to death. Bit the Kadabra and it died in one hit. I rubbed the captain's back, apparently severe sea sickness is the easiest thing to cure, and got HM01 Cut. Went back to Vermillion, went east and caught a Spearow and a Drowzee. Traded Spearow for a Farfetch'd to be used as an HM slave for fly/cut. Drowzee will be used for flash and if possible, strength and rock smash.

I decided, despite the odds being against me, I would fight Lt. Surge, not like I have much choice, and I took down the trainers with ease, 1 dig owns all electric types. I unlocked the gate with relative ease, only took three tries, and battled Lt. Surge. Like I said 1 dig owns all electrics. Easy battle, got badge and shockwave, which probably won't be used until I get a Starmie.

I decided not to bother with the bike for two reasons:
1) B Button > bike
2) No cycling road, which I will probably regret for lack of exp.
I need to go and catch a few crap pokemon for my pokedex so I can get flash and be on my way to rock tunnel and Lavender town and beyond.

Team:

gbc008.gif
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/gbc008.gif
Dennis
Lv. 30
Bite
Mega Punch
Dig
Water Gun

gbc130.gif

Gyarados
Lv. 25
Bite
Dragon Rage
Tackle
Water Pulse

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Ultimate Monotype Challenge Water
Book 1 Chapter 4: Bon Voyage Vermillion.

I arrived in Vermillion with my new Gyarados, got me pokemonz heald. Then I went to the SS Anne. Once Aboard I fought all the trainers with relative ease, the few who had a Pikachu were a little problem, only because of static. I found my way to my rival, easily destroyed his first two pokemon with a few bites and water pulses. Ivysaur gave me a bit of trouble. I switched into Wartortle, because he knows dig, but Ivysaur had to be a pain the you know what, and after I used dig, it used leech seed, I thought, whatevs, I can still kill it first, then it used sleep powder, and kept vine whipping me, and naturally, I stayed asleep for all 5 turns, and promptly died. Switched to Gyarados, used water pulse until confusion set in, then tackled it to death. Bit the Kadabra and it died in one hit. I rubbed the captain's back, apparently severe sea sickness is the easiest thing to cure, and got HM01 Cut. Went back to Vermillion, went east and caught a Spearow and a Drowzee. Traded Spearow for a Farfetch'd to be used as an HM slave for fly/cut. Drowzee will be used for flash and if possible, strength and rock smash.

I decided, despite the odds being against me, I would fight Lt. Surge, not like I have much choice, and I took down the trainers with ease, 1 dig owns all electric types. I unlocked the gate with relative ease, only took three tries, and battled Lt. Surge. Like I said 1 dig owns all electrics. Easy battle, got badge and shockwave, which probably won't be used until I get a Starmie.

I decided not to bother with the bike for two reasons:
1) B Button > bike
2) No cycling road, which I will probably regret for lack of exp.
I need to go and catch a few crap pokemon for my pokedex so I can get flash and be on my way to rock tunnel and Lavender town and beyond.

Team:

gbc008.gif
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/gbc008.gif
Dennis
Lv. 30
Bite
Mega Punch
Dig
Water Gun

gbc130.gif

Gyarados
Lv. 25
Bite
Dragon Rage
Tackle
Water Pulse

Are you doing FR/LG? Since I didn't think Water Pulse existed in R/B. Or did it? /clueless

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Haha, true that. And I've never played through FR so I wanted to... but since I wanted to get the full experience of going through the generations, I chose Blue version ;)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
I was thinking about using blue, but on my blue version i have all 151 pokemon, so im not deleting that for anything. and on my yellow version, well i have to wait until vermillion for a squirtle, and thats too long.

Years
Finally an Update: Did all the annoying Jubilife stuff and beat the routes around. Passed Oreburgh Gate and beat the trainers in the mine. Beat Roark (first attempt). The battle was like this:
Kricketune used Sing, it hit. Then I started to spam Fury Cutter, but Geodude woke up too early and almost killed Kricketune with some Rock Throws, luckily the last one missed, I'm not sure if Kricketune would have survived that. When Geodude was finally dead, Fury Cutter's power was sky high, so Onix (!) and Cranidos were easily OHKOd.

Team:
Spr_4p_402_m.png

Kricket / Kricketune m Lv.19 @ /
Naughty Nature / Swarm
- Sing
- Rock Smash
- Fury Cutter
- Leech Life
Kricketune is one of the few Pokemon where it's worth to give them a HM that's not Surf or Waterfall. Rock Smash provides nice coverage, hitting the common Rocks and Normals harder, and the 50% defense drop chance is not to be scoffed at.

Last edited:

Tox

fight me
Years
I'd like to join the challenge if that's alright. I'm using Poison-Type Pokémon.​

Character Name: ARISHOZ
Type: POISON
Version: RED
Badges: 1
Current Location: ROUTE 4 (Outside MT. MOON)

- Started game.
- Named character ARISHOZ.
- Named rival SUSAN.
- Received BULBASAUR (FRANCIS).
- Battled SUSAN.
- Delivered OAK'S PARCEL.
- Captured NIDORAN (KARL).
- Battled SUSAN.
- Captured NIDORAN (MACAELA).
- Evolved FRANCIS, KARL and MACAELA.
- Went through VIRIDIAN FOREST.
- Captured WEEDLE (RALPH).
- Accidently captured another WEEDLE (VINCE).
- Evolved RALPH and VINCE twice each.
- Challenged BROCK and won.
- Received BOULDER BADGE and TM34.
- Trained all POKÉMON to Level 16.
- Saved the game on ROUTE 4 at MT. MOON entrance.

Current Team:
Spr_1b_002.png

FRANCIS
Level: 16

Spr_1b_033.png

KARL

Spr_1b_030.png

MACAELA

Spr_1b_015.png

RALPH