• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny Value Increased

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyHunterz

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
It seems with the new update that people are beginning to complain that their shiny value "cheat" isn't working anymore, as in that they can't check their Shiny Value. THANK GOD. Maybe this will increase the value of our shinnies a little more...? at least the ones unattainable from safaris and fishing.

ShinyHunterz

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
High. There won't be any "hacked" pokemon coming along too do to the PokeTransfer. The value all together decreased and increased for dif reasons.....no more hacking,...but overall rate of shinies increased...but u still need to work for specific ones.

Years
What I mean by shinies not having a real value is, is there some sort of actual "market" for it where you exchange shinies for certain currencies? And please don't tell me about people sell shinies through websites like eBay or some **** like that.

Sure, they won't be as easy to find, but I don't know if that means it's "value" increased.

Years
What I mean by shinies not having a real value is, is there some sort of actual "market" for it where you exchange shinies for certain currencies? And please don't tell me about people sell shinies through websites like eBay or some **** like that.

Sure, they won't be as easy to find, but I don't know if that means it's "value" increased.

Actually it does, because like you said, they are hard to find, sure it's easy now, but back in Gen II the only guaranteed shiny Pokemon you will ever find is the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage, and in Gen V (B2W2) the only guaranteed shiny you find is the Black Haxorus in the Nature Preserve, and actually people do value their shinies a lot. I've had people trade rare Pokemon cards for Video game shinies.

Years
Actually it does, because like you said, they are hard to find, sure it's easy now, but back in Gen II the only guaranteed shiny Pokemon you will ever find is the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage, and in Gen V (B2W2) the only guaranteed shiny you find is the Black Haxorus in the Nature Preserve, and actually people do value their shinies a lot. I've had people trade rare Pokemon cards for Video game shinies.

Anecdotal evidence means nothing. Even if what you said is legitimate, I'd personally never trade a real life item for a shiny.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Anecdotal evidence means nothing. Even if what you said is legitimate, I'd personally never trade a real life item for a shiny.

Everything has a value to it. Just because you'd never use something physical be it money or an item to get a shiny doesn't mean they don't have any sort of value to any one person. Yes people DO sell shiny Pokemon on Ebay and other sites like Ebay.

If you don't have any value for Shiny then I guess you are a person that will trade away a shiny for some Pokemon on the first route, if not then you have some sort of value for Shiny Pokemon.

Value can be more than money as well. To many a Shiny is priceless. Which means not that you cannot put a price, but the value is so high that it cannot be measured.

You and I will not value the Shiny Pokemon in the same way, but we both still put some sort of value on our Pokemon.

Now I wouldn't say they increased. For me a Shiny's value is roughly the same no matter what. Given ones have relatively low value for me but ONLY if they are the ones given to you. All we need is for someone to break the RNG coding for the 3DS and Shiny Pokemon will be everywhere again.

Last edited:
Years
Everything has a value to it. Just because you'd never use something physical be it money or an item to get a shiny doesn't mean they don't have any sort of value to any one person. Yes people DO sell shiny Pokemon on Ebay and other sites like Ebay.

If you don't have any value for Shiny then I guess you are a person that will trade away a shiny for some Pokemon on the first route, if not then you have some sort of value for Shiny Pokemon.

Value can be more than money as well. To many a Shiny is priceless. Which means not that you cannot put a price, but the value is so high that it cannot be measured.

You and I will not value the Shiny Pokemon in the same way, but we both still put some sort of value on our Pokemon.

Now I wouldn't say they increased. For me a Shiny's value is roughly the same no matter what. Given ones have relatively low value for me but ONLY if they are the ones given to you. All we need is for someone to break the RNG coding for the 3DS and Shiny Pokemon will be everywhere again.

Fair point, I was just oversimplifying what value was in this case in order for people to try to understand my perspective (a poor one at that, now that I look at it), which led to whole different argument. Even then, I personally don't think something in-game should ever be traded for real life money and vice versa, but that's down to difference of opinion I guess. Of course unless said in-game items enhance gameplay (and that, for a minimal price), but having a different colored Pokemon doesn't enhance gameplay other than at purely aesthetic level.

That being said, I also agree that disappearance of instacheck didn't raise the values of shinies, only the rarity of it, and a slight one at that. Rarity does not necessarily equate to value.

Last edited:

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Rarity does not necessarily equate to value.

I'd have to disagree with this, as it is a contradiction in itself. Value is a product of the eyes of the beholders of the object in question, or more accurately the average view of worth for that object from a select group of people who find it relevant to them. If something is rare, then it makes perfect sense that it is valuable in the eyes of someone who finds that particular thing important to them. Take gold for an example. It is a rare mineral, so a higher money value is placed on it, and therefore very valuable in the eyes of the average thief. Pokémon cards and shiny Pokémon work the same. For collectors or enthusiast of Pokémon, a Charizard EX Pokémon card is of more value than a common Aipom card, even if they came off the same printing press. This is only because the Charizard card is harder to get than the Aipom card. Shiny Pokémon are obviously uncommon, and are seen as valuable to many because of that. You would want to have one for any other reason. Sure you might have some kind of sentimental connection to it (your friend gave it to you before he left the country for good, you beat the game with it X times, etc.), but there will always be that part of your cognitive reasoning that tells you that this Pokémon is rare, so I see a greater value in it. Since Pokémon is such a widespread hobby, this increases the value of rare shinies even further, which is why people do so much to get them. They might see that shiny Rayquaza as being worth $20 on ebay. Bottom line, Value has everything to do with rarity.

Years
I'd have to disagree with this, as it is a contradiction in itself. Value is a product of the eyes of the beholders of the object in question, or more accurately the average view of worth for that object from a select group of people who find it relevant to them. If something is rare, then it makes perfect sense that it is valuable in the eyes of someone who finds that particular thing important to them. Take gold for an example. It is a rare mineral, so a higher money value is placed on it, and therefore very valuable in the eyes of the average thief. Pokémon cards and shiny Pokémon work the same. For collectors or enthusiast of Pokémon, a Charizard EX Pokémon card is of more value than a common Aipom card, even if they came off the same printing press. This is only because the Charizard card is harder to get than the Aipom card. Shiny Pokémon are obviously uncommon, and are seen as valuable to many because of that. You would want to have one for any other reason. Sure you might have some kind of sentimental connection to it (your friend gave it to you before he left the country for good, you beat the game with it X times, etc.), but there will always be that part of your cognitive reasoning that tells you that this Pokémon is rare, so I see a greater value in it. Since Pokémon is such a widespread hobby, this increases the value of rare shinies even further, which is why people do so much to get them. They might see that shiny Rayquaza as being worth $20 on ebay. Bottom line, Value has everything to do with rarity.
You're right... partially.

Rarity is a contributing factor to value, but it's not as simple as that. There are more than rarity to consider for every commodity.

Take gold, for example: Its price fluctuates. But that doesn't necessarily mean the rarity of gold fluctuates. Its general price is high due to its rarity, I'll give you that. But gold 10 years ago was worth fraction of what it's worth today. That's not to say that there's fraction of gold available today than there was 10 years ago.

Take a Base Set Charizard, for example: Why is much more expensive than Base Set Chansey, for example, even though both cards are of the same holo rarity? Because Charizard was more popular than Chansey, and arguably still is. Even the exact same cards differ in value based on its condition. For example, Base Charizard in a gem mint condition would be worth thousands, while a Base Charizard that was sitting outside for 30 days soaked in rain would be worth considerably less, maybe next to nothing. That's not to say that there is a difference in rarity of those cards.

Now take shiny Pokemon, for example. I'll take a very popular shiny and compare it to a less popular one, let's say shiny Greninja and shiny Sunflora. Which one would people look for more? Even though shiny Sunflora is probably more rare because nobody really breeds or looks for Sunkerns, it's probably worth less than a shiny Greninja, because nobody really uses Sunflora, while shiny Greninja is arguably much more popular. (I'm sorry, Sunflora fans)

It's easy to assume that rarity equates to value, because as you said, rarity is a good factor that determines value, which I agree with. However, rarity isn't everything that value entails. I apologize if I was being vague with that statement, though.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
You're right... partially.
Alright.

Take gold, for example: Its price fluctuates. But that doesn't necessarily mean the rarity of gold fluctuates. Its general price is high due to its rarity, I'll give you that. But gold 10 years ago was worth fraction of what it's worth today. That's not to say that there's fraction of gold available today than there was 10 years ago.

So you are basically restating what I said in your first sentence, and creating a new but invalid point in the second. Lets look back at the above subject of the thread. Shiny Hunterz quoted this: "Maybe this will increase the value of our shinnies a little more...?" to which you replied: "There was no value to be had in the first place. " Our topic at this point has become that fact that as rarity increases, our value will also. I argued on the side of this point in my post because this is simple economics. You didn't agree with the topic originally with the reply: "Sure, they won't be as easy to find, but I don't know if that means it's "value" increased. " I am arguing this point. You just now created a new topic by saying: "Its price fluctuates. But that doesn't necessarily mean the rarity of gold fluctuates." (So value impacts rarity, which is not an effective counterargument since this wasn't what we were talking about to start with.) "Its general price is high due to its rarity" - This statement contradicts what you said in your very first post here, so now we are seeing eye to eye and you agree that increased rarity of shinies increases its value. But nonetheless, I will expand upon your new topic:

But gold 10 years ago was worth fraction of what it's worth today. That's not to say that there's fraction of gold available today than there was 10 years ago.

You forgot one thing. Inflation. There is also the fact that gold is melted down and sold to men to give to a lucky lady, who might hold onto that gold (thereby temporarily removing it from circulation and thereby increasing this "fraction" of gold that is no longer in circulation and raising its rarity), traded to other countries (increasing its value in America), and is almost impossible to mine as much as it was in the late 40s, but those reasons aren't as big as inflation. Inflation is the decrease in value of the USD because of its overproduction (further proving our point that rarity directly influences value). Give a big thanks to years worth of stupid politics for making that 25 cents laying in your couch right now no longer enable you to enjoy a bag of chips and a coke.

Take a Base Set Charizard, for example: Why is much more expensive than Base Set Chansey, for example, even though both cards are of the same holo rarity? Because Charizard was more popular than Chansey, and arguably still is. Even the exact same cards differ in value based on its condition. For example, Base Charizard in a gem mint condition would be worth thousands, while a Base Charizard that was sitting outside for 30 days soaked in rain would be worth considerably less, maybe next to nothing. That's not to say that there is a difference in rarity of those cards.

This is another new point. Two to be exact. Popularity and condition are two factors to increase value, but the fact that they exist doesn't mean that rarity is automatically ruled out. Lets say you put a gem mint Chansey card right up against that gem mint Charizard. Charizard is rarer, and is still more valuable because of this, even if you like Chansey more than Charizard (some holes in popularity, if you will). Now lets say you put that Charizard in the rain for 30 days. Sure it is going to be worth less than the Chansey now, but you have to remain constant and also place that Chansey out in the rain for 30 days. Now we have a constant. I would bet that that wet Charizard card is going to be worth more than that wet Chansey card. This is because of its rarity. Condition is one thing, but rarity is still involved when everything remains constant. A flawless shiny Lucario is worth more than a normal shiny Lucario, but the fact still remains that they are still worth more than a regular Lucario.

Now take shiny Pokemon, for example. I'll take a very popular shiny and compare it to a less popular one, let's say shiny Greninja and shiny Sunflora. Which one would people look for more? Even though shiny Sunflora is probably more rare because nobody really breeds or looks for Sunkerns, it's probably worth less than a shiny Greninja, because nobody really uses Sunflora, while shiny Greninja is arguably much more popular. (I'm sorry, Sunflora fans)

This is yet another point deviating from our original point that rarity effects value. This is different from the point about popularity that you made above, because this isn't so much popularity as it is our next economic term: functionality. But this deviates too far from the original argument. Lets remain constant shall we? Compare that shiny Sunflora to a non-shiny Greninja, or even a non-shiny Sunflora. The Sunflora would most likely win the highest value and same if you compared a shiny Greninja to a non-shiny one, because as shiny hunterz indirectly mentioned in the first post: shinies are more valuable as they grow in rarity. This remains true and always will until every single Pokémon fan stops playing or they come out with some magic method for getting the chance of finding a shiny down from 1 in 8000ish to 1 in1.

It's easy to assume that rarity equates to value, because as you said, rarity is a good factor that determines value, which I agree with.

I'm glad to see that we all agree on the original point.

However, rarity isn't everything that value entails.

Never said it was. But consistency will always say it is.

Last edited:

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
To fully answer the topic of this thread, no the value of shinies will not be increasing at any point from here on out. Even though Instacheck did the get banhammer, there is a still a very good way to clone Pokemon. I mean honestly, I have over 80 shinies sitting in my boxes, I could clone them all and just mass trade/Wonder Trade them all to people XD. There are also quite a few people who have boxes of eggs(like myself, I think I have 5 boxes full of eggs, though I only know the SV of two of them) and who saved the SV's of the eggs somewhere and could easily have them hatched for them as shinies.

Now personally, I do have kind of a "value" that I put on each shiny. For any shiny that's Gen I-V, those would be valued at another shiny from Gen I-V. For Gen VI, I would only let those go for other Gen VI shinies, or at least two shinies from Gen I-V. The only real exception that I have for this is in the case of fishable shinies, since they're so easy to come across.

ShinyHunterz

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
Everything has value, even if you think it has no value to yourself, it does towards others. And I am POSITIVE people are willing to pay real money for shinies...the world is a big place

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
Everything has value, even if you think it has no value to yourself, it does towards others. And I am POSITIVE people are willing to pay real money for shinies...the world is a big place

I don't think anyone has said they wouldn't. Of course SOMEONE would be willing to do that. I mean, if you can find someone that'll be willing to pay you $5/shiny that you have, then go for it. XD

It seems to me that everyone is just misunderstanding the entire point of the question. To SOME people, yes there is some sort of monetary value of a shiny. To others(most of us, i'm sure), there really is no money value put on shiny Pokemon. As I said in my last post I do value them to a certain extent, being that I know what I will and won't trade for shiny Pokemon.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Something is only worth as much as your willing to pay for it. I would never buy a shiny. I consider it cheap and like cheating. I would trade for one, though. It is also more fun to breed for one or look for one in game. Honestly, I would take my starter over a shiny pokemon. It has more value on my eyes because I raised it. If I received a shiny from my best friend who is moving away or out of kindness, I would love it. Even if it was a dunsparce. I would like it more than a shiny mewtwo.

Lindblum

you're not alone
Years
Something is only worth as much as your willing to pay for it. I would never buy a shiny. I consider it cheap and like cheating. I would trade for one, though. It is also more fun to breed for one or look for one in game. Honestly, I would take my starter over a shiny pokemon. It has more value on my eyes because I raised it. If I received a shiny from my best friend who is moving away or out of kindness, I would love it. Even if it was a dunsparce. I would like it more than a shiny mewtwo.

I agree with this. Shinies will never be 'worth' as much as they used to be overall without feelings towards said pokemon involved (i.e. gifts and favourites) and I think it has been that way since BW. I used to trade shinies for Japanese event Pokemon on this site, and I'm pretty sure I'd never get anything near as close as that anymore. I only have one shiny myself on X, but if people are cloning their shinies, they're just generating free trade fodder for themselves. The more clones there are in existence, the more people will own shinies and the less worthy they become. It's pretty much like supply and demand, if there are lots of clones in circulation, there are more shinies going more easily to people who want them and thus the rarity decreases and they become as a result less wanted. As soon as people learnt how to easily clone things easily without the use of cheat machines and R4s etc. I think pretty much everything took a plunge in the worth department.

Of course there will always be the people who work hard breeding, RE'ing or Radaring for their favourite shiny and when they recieve it it'll be worth a lot more to them than it will to someone else to whom it is just another shiny to be cloned and traded away. And as quoted, shinies as gifts from close ones have more sentimental value.

So theres value decreasing due to increasing numbers in circulation and ease to claim, or theres value increasing by finding your favourite shiny or recieving one as a gift. And it's all 'as much as people are willing to pay for them'. Everyone is going to offer something different for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back