• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Starter all Region

Which The Best Starter all Region ^^

• Kanto region (Bulbasaur-Charmander-Squirtle)

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Johto region (Chicorita-Cyndaquil-Totodile)

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Hoenn region (Treecko-Torchic-Mudkip)

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Sinnoh region (Turtwig-Chimchar-Piplup)

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Unova region (Snivy-Tepig-Oshawott)

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Kalos region (Chespin-Fennekin-Froakie)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
Which Region had the best starter ?
Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, or maybe Kalos region ? :)
What do you think ? Hmm...?
I think the best starter all region is Kanto region.
Because i like Charizard fire/flying type pokemon. ^^
I make Polls at this thread and don't forget your opinion. ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Personally, I'd say Hoenn, or maybe Kalos (if Fennekin doesn't evolve into another Fire/Fighting type), due to Blaziken being my absolute favourite starter, and because I like Mudkips (no seriously, I do like Mudkips).

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I always been a fan of the Unova starters, thats why it takes my votes. its the only region where I like all 3 starters and all their evolutions (not counting Kalos) - Especially Oshawott's evolution, most other regions I only like 1 or 2 starters, or part of their evolution.
in my view part of my reasoning why Unova is my choice:
Kanto: 2 out of 9 (I only like Squirtle and Wortortle)
Johto: 3 out of 9 (Cyndaquil's evolution only)
Hoenn: 4 out of 9 (Sceptile and Mudkip's evolution)
Sinnoh: 1 out of 9 (Only like Torterra)
Unova: 9 out of 9 (all starters and their evolutions too)
Kalos: I will have to wait until all their evolutions are revealed

Many of my favorite Pokemon are water types so again Oshawott (along with Squirtle, Mudkip, and Froakie - total of 4 out of 6 regions/generations, water type wins for me) takes my vote, for the type.

Once again, I'm a huge fan of sea-otters so Oshawott always takes my #1 vote as the favorite starter - its my final reasoning for my vote going to Unova.

so to answer question: Best Starter all Region? - Unova

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My personal preference:

Hoenn > Johto > Kanto > Unova > Sinnoh

Kalos doesn't get put in until we actually get to see what becomes of them. I mean, how fair is that to judge them without their middle and final evos? Anyway, Hoenn starters are my absolute favorites. I love their beginning, middle, and final evolutions. Because I like all 9, that just kind of...automatically puts them right in place, haha. I actually still have a hard time picking a starter in those games because I like them all so much.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 7, 2013
My personal favorite is Charmander, mostly because he evolves in to a Dragon. (that's not a dragon) I gotta give props to Mudkip and Oshawatt though. They are extremely close behind.

Years
I'm actually one of those who likes Unova's starters a lot as well, but here's my thoughts on each region.

Kanto: They are all reptilian-based, which seems a bit uncreative to me, I love having diverse designs among the starters, not to mention how overrated as heck they are. Also, Charizard is my least fave final evo of all the starters so this is why Kanto is at the bottom of my list, and even more funnier I never even used their starters compared to the later regions.

Johto: I do like the Cyndaquil and Chikorita lines, but Totodile is probably my least fave Water starter line. Also, my main problem with these starters is that their movepools aren't as great as the others, although I admit I did have a better run on SoulSilver by choosing Cyndaquil over the other two.

Hoenn: The first starters I ever used, I was alright with the designs, but Mudkip's line was my fave of the bunch due to the fact it was my first ever female starter in a Pokemon game. All three do have solid stats and movepools so they aren't terrible imo, heck even Blaziken became the first starter to be kicked up into Ubers thanks to Speed Boost.

Sinnoh: This was the first starter trio to all gain secondary types when they evolve, which did help give extra coverage when building teams in 4th Generation. Turtwig was a bit too slow for me and I'm not really a fan of turtles. I did love Piplup and Chimchar though because of their good movepools and type combinations when they evolve.

Unova: Now this is the one where I loved all the starters, along with being one of those few who actually likes the Tepig line. The designs were great, and I loved the concepts behind them (Snivy's line being influenced by Europe, Tepig's being influenced by China and Oshawott's being based on traditional Japanese samurais) and I was never dissatisfied with any particular one, and not to mention Oshawott is my fave starter ever!

Kalos: While their evolutions aren't revealed yet, I am liking the designs of all these three and the fact that it's also the first starter trio to not have any reptilian-based members. Tbh when I first saw Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie I was so confused which one I wanted to choose when I eventually play X & Y.

So, in my order of preference:

Unova > Kalos > Sinnoh > Hoenn > Johto > Kanto

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I normally dislike the Hoenn starters, as I never liked their designs much. But in-game, I must admit that Blaziken and Swampert are so useful that they were really great as starters. I never played through a whole game with Treecko-Sceptile but the other two are good enough to make it to the top.

The Kanto are my favorites otherwise ;) But Venusaur is the only one who is good on its own, imo. I mostly played Yellow where I had all three anyways.

Years
While my favorite starter actually comes from the Sinnoh region (Empoleon), I truly think that the Hoenn starters as a whole were the best. In my two main playthroughs of Sapphire, both Swampert and Sceptile were key components on my team, and 2 out of maybe 5 starters that I kept on my team through the entire game. And even though I haven't really used Blaziken, I do know it's consider one of the best starters, thanks to its Speed Boost ability and good movepool.

After that, I would then have to rank the groups of starters as Sinnoh (all have dual-typings, and it includes my favorite starter), Kanto (tough to have the original three drop any lower than third), Unova (I've used these starters more than the Kanto ones, but I don't like them quite as much), and Johto (never found much appealing about Johto's starters). I don't know where Kalos' starters rank quite yet, considering we haven't even seen their evolutions at this point.

Goldenhand

Hatched Egg
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 30, 2014
In my opinion, the Sinnoh starters are the best, with me liking the designs all three of them. All of their evolved forms are cool, and they all are very useful in-game, especially Infernape, which is my favorite of all the starters.

Below the Sinnoh region, my order goes:

Hoenn: This was the first Pokemon game I played, so I am naturally a little attached to these three. Again, all three have good designs, and can be used well in-game. Also, it has Mudkipz.

Kanto: This is above Unova mainly becase of Charizard, which is really cool, and to a lesser extent, Blastoise. Venesaur is meh, imo. Having a flying type starter with Charizard is useful though.

Unova: The only one that I like is Snivy and its evos, the other two I don't really like at all.

Johto: I don't really like any of these, especially Chikorita(worst starter, imo).

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I would have go with kanto. the very first time i ever played pokemon was Yellow. How can i not say i love kanto starters the best?
besides. venusaur has the best movepool out of all the starters HANDS DOWN!

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Johto!
I like all the starters first and last evolution forms. I'd say perhaps Kanto, but Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't evolve into anything I liked.

Typhlosion and Feraligatr were both pretty good in-game as well. Nothing is wrong with Meganium either, but most the gym leaders/E4 didn't call for a strong Grass type.

Here's my ranking:

1. Johto (loved all the starters and their evolutions were good.)
2. Kanto (loved all the starters but I didn't like Blastoise or Venusaur)
3. Kalos (Technically I don't know about their evolutions, but I love Fennekin and like the other two)
4. Sinnoh (Didn't particularly like or dislike any of them)
5. Unova (I didn't like any to begin with, but I liked Serperior and Dewott)
6. Hoenn (Just didn't like any of them! Grovyle is a pretty color, that's about it..)

Last edited:
Years
Johto! It's the only region that I've looked at the started and couldn't decide what to use.
Hoenn was close, but I didn't like Swampert or Marshtomp.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Usually each gen there's one starter line I love, one I don't like and one I either like or am neutral towards.

If I had to rank the regions for their starters:

1. Hoenn (If only because Torchic is my absolute favourite starter plus I quite like the Treecko line too)
2. Kanto (Generally good all around, there isn't a starter I dislike)
3. Unova (Love the Oshawott family, like Snivy family and grew tolerant of Tepig family)
4. Sinnoh (Love Piplup family, neutral towards Turtwig family and don't like Chimchar family)
5. Johto (Only region where I don't love any of the starters, I picked Chikorita but I'm not as crazy about it as my other starter picks)

Won't include Kalos but it's looking promising at least. I like all three of their first forms.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I have to go with Sinnoh.

The introduction of different and unique typing (with the exception of Chimchar) like Water/Steel and Grass/Ground was really cool at that time. It opened up a whole new window for movesets for specific elemental pokemon what with their STAB's.

Gonshiro

Zeon Lieutenant Junior Grade
Years
Well, being as how I started with Kanto, I will have to say Kanto. Oddly enough, I prefer all the middles. Ivysaur, Charmeleon and Wartortle have always been some of my favorites.

Other than that I do like Typhlosion and the entire Totodile line. Chikorita line never did interest me much, so I haven't used it a whole lot over the years.

I do like all final forms of the Hoenn starters, but not too fond of the other forms.

Never played any Gen IV-V so I can't comment any farther.

Years
I really liked the design of the Unova trio with Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott lines drawing inspiration from Western, Chinese, and Japanese costume.

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2013
The best starters are of course in Kanto. Final form of Charmander or Squirtle is just awesome

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think Sinnoh has the overall best starters, maybe not in terms of battling ability (Hoenn with Speed Boost Blaziken and Swampert would be better IMO) but in terms of uniqueness. Infernape is the best starter I've ever used.

Last edited:
Years
I like the Unova starter Pokemon and the Johto starters especially Cyndaquil's final evolution form its got a cool cry and looks powerful. Tepig's final evolution form reminds me of a boss from a video game (Sonic games) When I first played Red and Blue I picked Bulbasaur (I think it was a Charmander but can't remember as this was back in 2000) When I downloaded Pokemon Platinum rom for my DesmuME emulator I chose Turtwig but I'm not a fan of Grass type starters I could've chosen Chimchar or Piplip or Piplup however its name is spelt lol. When X and Y comes out I'm gonna download the Nintendo 3DS emulator for my Mac and pick Froakie as my starter/beginner Pokemon (because when I looked at the new Pokemon X and Y news its been rumoured Froakie will be a Water/Fighting type at its final evolution form)

Back