• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Charizard is primarily a special attacker, so a primarily physical set doesn't leave it with a lot of power. It's better off with a primarily special mixed set if you choose to go mixed. In that case, Swords Dance isn't a very good option, unless you're going pure physical (this is assuming Gen IV and V):
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Brick Break
-Roost
Nature: Mild
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Yeah it's Gen V, and also thanks for the advice, although I do despise the idea of the life orb for the health loss, and also the battle subway takes toooooooo long for me to rack up the BP I'd need. I'd rather do flamethrower for the reliability, and I forgot about air slash 0__o (oops). Also, I'd need to redo the entire thing if I were to do the EVs like that since there are no EV reducing berries in Black

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Charizard is supposed to be a Special sweeper, just like Dragonite and Garchomp are Physical sweepers. I also EV trained a Charizard, for Special sweeper.

Timid @ Choice Scarf/Leftovers
EV's: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Flamethrower
Air Slash
Dragon Pulse
Focus Blast

While he is better for Special sweeper, he can also serve as a decent Physical sweeper. Adamant is a nice nature to use.

Adamant @ Choice Band/Scarf/Leftovers
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Flare Blitz
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Wing Attack/Roost

In the right hands, 'Zard is a nice edition. While he is one of my favorite Poke's, in the Competitive world, his defenses are a little too frail. And that 4X weaknesses to rock are a turn down. However, it's not completely useless, it's speed stat is nice and above-average. But a Garchomp with Stone Edge is more than enough to counter it.

Years
Charizard is supposed to be a Special sweeper, just like Dragonite and Garchomp are Physical sweepers. I also EV trained a Charizard, for Special sweeper.

Timid @ Choice Scarf/Leftovers
EV's: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Flamethrower
Air Slash
Dragon Pulse
Focus Blast

While he is better for Special sweeper, he can also serve as a decent Physical sweeper. Adamant is a nice nature to use.

Adamant @ Choice Band/Scarf/Leftovers
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Flare Blitz
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Wing Attack/Roost

In the right hands, 'Zard is a nice edition. While he is one of my favorite Poke's, in the Competitive world, his defenses are a little too frail. And that 4X weaknesses to rock are a turn down. However, it's not completely useless, it's speed stat is nice and above-average. But a Garchomp with Stone Edge is more than enough to counter it.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully I'll put together all of the advice I get and make a pretty good Charizard

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Gonna throw my two cents about Charizard in. :3c

Charizard actually can run a viable and effective physical set. It gets Belly Drum, Swords Dance, Dragon Dance and Hone Claws. It doesn't get a way to up its special attack without Solar Power.

Charizard @Salac Berry
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Belly Drum
-Substitute
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

This is a good set but requires a lot of patience. Since Zard isn't the most bulkiest Pokemon to grace the metagame you have to be careful when using Belly Drum. You could try a different set focusing around Dragon Dance. Flare Blitz could be a good choice too.

If you don't want to start from scratch and spend ages trying to get the right Iv's and such; use Pokemon Online. :3c

Years
Gonna throw my two cents about Charizard in. :3c

Charizard actually can run a viable and effective physical set. It gets Belly Drum, Swords Dance, Dragon Dance and Hone Claws. It doesn't get a way to up its special attack without Solar Power.

Charizard @Salac Berry
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Belly Drum
-Substitute
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

This is a good set but requires a lot of patience. Since Zard isn't the most bulkiest Pokemon to grace the metagame you have to be careful when using Belly Drum. You could try a different set focusing around Dragon Dance. Flare Blitz could be a good choice too.

If you don't want to start from scratch and spend ages trying to get the right Iv's and such; use Pokemon Online. :3c

I was thinking of using a bellyzard, it would need substitute to set up belly drum and activate its ability to sweep like crazy, but its almost expected as a charizard

Konou

Hippowdon Farmer
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
Um... I have a few questions.

1. The RU tier list that members go by on Pokecommunity is the one by Smogon, right? (Yes, I want to get in to battling, and specifically RU tier)

2. Not so much a question but; what are the viable sets for Honchkrow? I haven't looked in a lot of places since... you know... I'm new at this.

3. Rate my abomination?

Honchkrow@Scope Lens
252 Attack/252 Defense/6HP
Adamant Nature
[Super Luck]
- Night Slash
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Roost/Foul Play/Pursuit

So... yup. This is a pretty situational moveset that it based around critical hits. I guess I'll try to explain why. This Honchkrow would only be used in RU tier, in case it needed to be said :3

So Honchkrow's ability boosts the critical hit ratio of his moves. Along with the boosted chance of a critical hit from Night Slash and Scope Lens, he should be landing a crit roughly 1/4 of the time. Coming from a 125 base attack it *should* at least merit a switch in. I chose Pursuit for this reason. I really don't like pursuit that much since it could easily screw you over if your opponent doesn't switch out very often. Foul Play is also an option since a 95 base attack, with STAB, with the possibility of it going critical, is pretty sexy. Roost was tossed in since maybe your opponent expects you to carry Foul Play and switches in something more defensive. Or if you really feel confident that Honchkrow will survive past one hit. Brave Bird is there for super STAB yummy-ness. Sucker Punch is also there in case you decide to switch in Honchkrow for a Pokemon that doesn't set up and you know will attack.

This set is pretty unrealistic in the term that a lot of things kill Honchkrow due to his stellar Sp. Def and Def. base of 52. I would hope that you Baton Pass an Agility or two or manage to set up a Reflect and Light Screen before hand.

Um... yeah. Destroy as you see fit. I'd like to get a feel of how to build a proper Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

1. The RU tier list that members go by on Pokecommunity is the one by Smogon, right? (Yes, I want to get in to battling, and specifically RU tier)

2. Not so much a question but; what are the viable sets for Honchkrow? I haven't looked in a lot of places since... you know... I'm new at this.

3. Rate my abomination?

Honchkrow@Scope Lens
Adamant Nature
[Super Luck]
- Night Slash
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch

So... yup. This is a pretty situational moveset that it based around critical hits. I guess I'll try to explain why. This Honchkrow would only be used in RU tier, in case it needed to be said :3

So Honchkrow's ability boosts the critical hit ratio of his moves. Along with the boosted chance of a critical hit from Night Slash and Scope Lens, he should be landing a crit roughly 1/4 of the time. Coming from a 125 base attack it *should* at least merit a switch in. I chose Pursuit for this reason. I really don't like pursuit that much since it could easily screw you over if your opponent doesn't switch out very often. Foul Play is also an option since a 95 base attack, with STAB, with the possibility of it going critical, is pretty sexy. Roost was tossed in since maybe your opponent expects you to carry Foul Play and switches in something more defensive. Or if you really feel confident that Honchkrow will survive past one hit. Brave Bird is there for super STAB yummy-ness. Sucker Punch is also there in case you decide to switch in Honchkrow for a Pokemon that doesn't set up and you know will attack.

This set is pretty unrealistic in the term that a lot of things kill Honchkrow due to his stellar Sp. Def and Def. base of 52. I would hope that you Baton Pass an Agility or two or manage to set up a Reflect and Light Screen before hand.

Um... yeah. Destroy as you see fit. I'd like to get a feel of how to build a proper Pokemon.

1. Yes, the RU tiers are based off of what Smogon put up n

2. Honchkrow can use Life Orb + 4 attacks or Choice set as seen here:
-Brave Bird/Drill Peck
-Sucker Punch/Night Slash
-Heat Wave
-Superpower
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Insomnia/Super Luck

Or
-Brave Bird
-Sucker Punch
-Night Slash/Drill Peck
-Heat Wave/Superpower/Hidden Power (Grass)
Nature: Naughty/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe

It can also go for a somewhat gimmicky Nasty Plot set:
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Heat Wave
-Superpower
Nature: Rash/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Ability: Insomnia/Super Luck

3. Your current set has no way of dealing with Steel Pokemon. Honchkrow loves using Heat Wave and Superpower to hit them hard. It's best to use the first set I posted. Also, Honchkrow needs the Speed EVs more than it does with the Defense ones.

Last edited:

Perriechu

Years
Online on pokemon white, how come they can always attack first?

Well there are many reasons for this. :) Either the opponent had a higher speed stat, you used a move that went last, or they used a priority move.

Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, Extremespeed or Quick Attack. They are moves that will go first. C:

Or, they could of used a move that reduces your speed or raises their's.

Years
What is IV and EV and how do I do It?

IV is complicated so master EV training first and then look for a guide, but EV training is simple, here are three good/decent guides to follow, since I suck at explaining, and can't find one on this site lol. And don't be discouraged by the reading, it'll make any Pokemon who follows the process A LOT stronger in the areas you want.

Bulbapedia
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_value

Serebii
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Smogon University
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85403

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012

3. Rate my abomination?

Honchkrow@Scope Lens
Adamant Nature
[Super Luck]
- Night Slash
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch

Or you can run the moxie set.
Honchkrow@Life Orb
Moxie
Adamant l 252 Attack/4 Def/252 Spe
Sucker Punch/Drill Peck/Brave Bird/Pursuit or Hidden Power [Grass/Water]

Pair it with Magneton and you will do well.

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2011
I asked a question about ev, so i thought that I'll give it ago on my Lv.71 hydreigon. Could you rate my stats (my first time) ? ;)

Attack- 176
Defense - 155
Sp. Atk- 204
Sp. Def- 144
Speed- 186

Perriechu

Years
I asked a question about ev, so i thought that I'll give it ago on my Lv.71 hydreigon. Could you rate my stats (my first time) ? ;)

Attack- 176
Defense - 155
Sp. Atk- 204
Sp. Def- 144
Speed- 186

It's hard to really find the Ev's when your Pokemon is at an odd level like 71. Try getting it to 100 and telling us the nature too. That would help a lot. :3c

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2011

It's hard to really find the Ev's when your Pokemon is at an odd level like 71. Try getting it to 100 and telling us the nature too. That would help a lot. :3c

Ok, the nature is neutral and I'm of to level it in now :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What would be the best held item(s) for Shell Smash Cloyster? I know that White Herb and Life Orb are the primary options, but I want to explore other possibilities:
-Life Orb: obviously, it makes my attacks hit harder at the cost of some HP.
-White Herb: returns defenses to normal after a Shell Smash, but it could be burned out by an Intimidate or a random stat drop if Cloyster hasn't Shell Smashed yet.
-Focus Sash: ensures that I get a Shell Smash in, but that makes me more prone to priority
-Lum Berry: cures a status taken while setting up or sweeping.

So which item(s) would be best? (like I said, I already read the Smogon article, but I want to explore other items to use)

Years
What would be the best held item(s) for Shell Smash Cloyster? I know that White Herb and Life Orb are the primary options, but I want to explore other possibilities:
-Life Orb: obviously, it makes my attacks hit harder at the cost of some HP.
-White Herb: returns defenses to normal after a Shell Smash, but it could be burned out by an Intimidate or a random stat drop if Cloyster hasn't Shell Smashed yet.
-Focus Sash: ensures that I get a Shell Smash in, but that makes me more prone to priority
-Lum Berry: cures a status taken while setting up or sweeping.

So which item(s) would be best? (like I said, I already read the Smogon article, but I want to explore other items to use)

I took a look at the move and Cloyster, and I personally would rather use the life orb as it's speed isn't too high and the White Herb would be used up right then if they use a stat move (my first recommendation lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back