• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Player saved the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Welcome to the Pokémon Gaming Central DCC! This is like every other DCC thread, but here, you may discuss things related to Pokémon games only. Before you jump in, please skim through the guidelines below.

• Keep all conversation appropriate.
  • Just because we're talking about a particular topic here doesn't mean you can't start a new thread about it; if that's what you'd like to do, please go ahead!
  • You're freely allowed to discuss topics there that we already have an ongoing thread about; don't limit yourself.
  • Make sure to keep all PC rules in mind.

Have fun, you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
The topic name makes me want to pose the question, how often do y'all keep a Pokemon from evolving? Interestingly enough, I've read in many strategy guides for Pokemon that it can be a strategical choice to improve the Pokemon's move set. I actually can't recall one instance where I have pressed B to stop my Pokemon from evolving.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Not very often, unfortunately. Only time I do it is when I need one of my Pokémon to learn a pre-evolution move; last time this had happened was about three months ago, when I was trying to teach Shroomish Spore. Not sure why, but I just don't like it when my Pokémon are... well, un-evolved. xD"

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
The topic name makes me want to pose the question, how often do y'all keep a Pokemon from evolving? Interestingly enough, I've read in many strategy guides for Pokemon that it can be a strategical choice to improve the Pokemon's move set. I actually can't recall one instance where I have pressed B to stop my Pokemon from evolving.

I only recall 2...

First was when I was playing PKMN Gold, I caught a Mareep for the first time because I found the little thing quite cute. When it evolved, I fell in love with it. When it evolved again, I turned the game off and on again, and kept on pressing B every time Flaffy wants to evolve again. >.>

Second was on X. I seriously found Fennekin extremely cute, but I didn't like what it's evos looked like, especially Delphox, so I kept the little thing a cute little Fenny, until I beaten the game and began to breed for competitive 'mons. ^^

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
I can't really stand having an unevolved Pokémon, but that doesn't mean I certainly haven't pressed B before. I usually press B when I need the Pokémon to stay unevolved, usually for breeding purposes. There was a time though when I was trying to level 100 Pokémon with Pickup. I kept pressing B because if I didn't upon evolving the Pokémon would've lost Pickup. xD

Years
I don't really like to leave something unevolved, it may struggle behind my other Pokemon if I do that. If I ever want to look at an unevolved Pokemon, I'd most likely catch another one assuming it's something easy to catch or breed. In fact, in my whole life I know I barely press that B button at all.

And love this new direction you're taking, Ashley. A DCC thread can really help bring activity up.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Finally, a PGC DCC <3

Anyway, I've never left a Pokemon unevolved. The only time I've pressed the B button was when my finger slipped from the A button on my DS. I find unevolved Pokemon a waste of space to keep when they miss the chance of evolving, though the whole learning moves quicker thing is a benefit (and perhaps the only benefit) of holding back on evolving.

Years
Sometimes it's better to leave Pokémon un-evolved for specific points. Usually if I do stop an evolution, it's to get a specific move earlier than I could if I evolved it. But i've done that plenty of times.

Years
When I'm playing Pokemon in a recreational manner, I don't even consider strategic choices like keeping a Pokemon from evolving to learn a move it wouldn't learn otherwise, so the only times I've prolonged evolution have been due to my preference of their current form over the evolved form. I know I've kept Quilava from evolving at least until level 40 because they're just so darn cute. c:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I know I've kept Quilava from evolving at least until level 40 because they're just so darn cute. c:

Wow, weird. The only Pokemon I remember keeping from evolving on purpose was my Quilava in Gold. I beat the Elite Four and everything with it just like that <3

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Have you guys ever tried using any strategic Pokémon in-game, and not for competitive purposes? I've tried Togekiss once, with Roost, Air Slash, Thunder Wave, and Ominous Wind, and, well... it made battling a lot easier. Thanks to this Pokémon, I was able to get through about three battle facilities over at Platinum. Right now, I have it in my Y version; would put it on my team, but I'd like to test some other things out before I make space for it.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I've never used a competitive set in game, as it seems like a waste. The AI of the Pokemon games aren't the best in the world, so why should I take battling super seriously like most competitive players do? It wouldn't change much in my eyes.

Years
I've never done that. :c When I play through the story line of Pokemon games, I always load my companions with high-powered offensive attacks, and that's about it. Simply don't have the patience to use any stall or support-based teams while travelling regions. HMs also make competitive move sets tedious because then HM slaves are needed to proceed through certain areas.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Last time I remember doing so was when I was doing a challenge and I had to keep the Pokemon unevolved. I never finished the challenge (though right now I wish kind of watch to try again but at the same time effort) but that's the last time I remember doing it. I know I've done it plenty of times in the past like my Marshtomp on Ruby is still well... a Marshtomp. Not that it matters though since I don't know where my Ruby went. </3

Years
Eh, 95% of the time I just go with attacking movesets in game- it isn't all that hard to outpower the AI, and you don't really need to outsmart them that often. The closest I've had to a competitive Pokemon I guess would've been my Butterfree back on HeartGold. With its Compound Eyes ability I focused moreso on status moves than I normally do, which really helped make up for Butterfree's lack of power, especially later on in the game.

Years
I don't really use competitive movesets in-game, because I'm more of a casual player who normally goes hyper offensive when it comes to the main story. The only real competitive stuff I really do is on Showdown.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Well the closest that has happened is my current re-run of Pokemon Black 2 where I caught a Petilil specifically for when it evolves into LIlligant so it learns Quiver Dance. It does well for sweeping teams after sleep powdering a threat.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I usually evolve all my pokemon - except for Vigoroth! Don't like Slaking, haha.

As for competitive, nope, I don't know much about competitive pokemon strategy to begin with so I usually just give my pokemon some decent stab, something othertyped offensive and a couple of status moves.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I only keep Pokemon from evolving when there's a pre-evo move that I want it to learn.

And about competitive, I don't actually... I normally go with half going Attack! Attack! Attack! while the other is utilizing status moves and moves that uses those statuses to its advantage (like Toxic Spikes + anything that switches the Pokemon, such a fun combo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back