• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something a little new?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 3, 2012
So I'm tempted to try something a little different.
Similar to MSPA's command input story-telling, and how the site started off.
The author would post a page in the story, and then let people "command" the characters what to do next.

Example: A page detailing the character and certain things about them (for instance, they don't like their sister). Submitted command could be "Character: Sneak past your sister's bedroom door" or something more hilarious or just generally better.

I'm kind of tempted to try this out with a Pokemon theme?
Like taking screenshots of a game and making it into a story while using submitted commands?

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Ah, the forum-adventure style of story telling. It's been done before, but not so much for fics (which ideally don't involve screenshots... and if you are basing a story straight off a game you'd want to be clever in doing something different to just being the game in written format, because if it's that why read it when you can play it?) As such if you actually want to do a fic with the plot/events based on user input I'd suggest given written scenerios rather than screenshots. (Or you could do drawings instead, but I'd think that'd fit better in Fanart as an interactive comic).

Another problem to consider is the user responses themselves - sometimes they could lead to a position that's hard to write 'out of' to get the story back on track, or just be plain stupid (see earlier mspa comics for instances of this where Hussie, iirc, took the first suggestion for each page). As such you'd need to strike the balance between having control over the story and still letting readers have a say.

Initial thoughts that sprang to mind anyways... hope they're of help. I'd think is doable and could be interesting, but it won't be an easy project by any means either. Checking out Role Playing games may be an idea too as they are similar (but rather than having users say what should happen, they write as characters in the story and so determine what happens with their own creations, with a story owner keep everything in check and moving, and controlling the main events of the story).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 3, 2012
Thanks for the input, really.
I don't know if this'll really turn out to be a thing. I thought it might be kind of interesting, so I thought I'd see what people had to say about it. Plus, I'm really busy as of late, so I don't know how much spare time I'll actually have.

Back