• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Palette Hacking

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Palette Hacking Tutorial
By HFI

What You need

~ Advance Map
~ MS Paint
~ The Attention Span to read this tutorial

Hacking The Palette's

Open Up Advance Map and go to the Block Editor
(For those who Don't know what the block here it is )
Spoiler:

First pick what Palette's your using
(Example: Tree Palette is Palette 02)
then go to Palettes>Palette Editor
Spoiler:

3. VERY IMPORTANT
Now open Up MS Paint Colors>Edit Colors And then On the Rainbow sheet choose the colors you want. Now you may notice on the MS paint Rainbow sheet when you choose the color it has a RED/GREEN/BLUE offset that is what were going to change the palettes too. (Tip: To Get A Darker Or Lighter shade of that color Move Up or Down On the Rectangle color sheet with the arrow on it)
In the palette editor you will see that you can change the red/green/blue by moving it left or right and the number will go higher or lower. On the Pallete Editor we are going to make it the same color as the custom palette we are using. Now we cannot make it exactly the same but you want to make it as close as possible to pallete you chose on MS PAINT.
Spoiler:

Now in Advance map close the Palette Editor and go back to the Block Editor then got to
Palette>Write Palette Changes to ROM
And then It should be inserted

Now try to test it out open up your emulator and see if it works
k39on6.png

Please Feel free to post question, comments or just some C+C
~HFI

Last edited by a moderator:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
This is nice. Nothing new to me but this is something I use pretty much every time I use AdvanceMap. This way newer hackers won't have to figure this out on their own (it took me a while to figure out that you had to press Write Change to ROM^^).
Here's a suggestion: you might want to include a "before-and-after" section at the end instead of just an "after" section. That way the changes will be more noticeable. Also, I would recommend pressing "Write Current Palette to File" before changing things so you have a backup of the original palette.
Anyways, good tutorial! :cer_smile:

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
i cant click on show content on ya tut it dont do owt help me
First of all can you fix the spelling errors on your post dont want to make it difficult for somebody to read it now do we?
Ok I dont know why maybe its the fact that you need fifteen posts ask a moderator about this they might tell you how to fix it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2012
First of all can you fix the spelling errors on your post dont want to make it difficult for somebody to read it now do we?
Ok I dont know why maybe its the fact that you need fifteen posts ask a moderator about this they might tell you how to fix it.
sorry
'I cant click on show content on the tutorial it don't do anything help me'

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
sorry
'I cant click on show content on the tutorial it don't do anything help me'

This isn't really a necessary post, as this is a problem that will hopefully soon be fixed. Anyway, you shouldn't need pictures (which are in the Show Content) to help you, he's described it well (A 5 star Tutorial HFI!)

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
Quite simple, but it shows how much "originality" can be added to you hack by just changing the palletes. Great tutorial HFI.

Note: Pallete 0 in the block editor is the pallete for trees in FireRed

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
This isn't really a necessary post, as this is a problem that will hopefully soon be fixed. Anyway, you shouldn't need pictures (which are in the Show Content) to help you, he's described it well (A 5 star Tutorial HFI!)
Thanks Marx
I think I could've been a bit more detailed with more screenies

Quite simple, but it shows how much "originality" can be added to you hack by just changing the palletes. Great tutorial HFI.

Note: Pallete 0 in the block editor is the pallete for trees in FireRed
I was using ruby so that is pallete 02 Im going to add that in thanks RedYoshi for the comment ^^

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Nice Tutorial, though perhaps a before and after screenshot would be nice :)

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
This was awesome. Hey, do you know how to world map hack?
There are a few tutorials on it here at pc

Nice Tutorial, though perhaps a before and after screenshot would be nice :)
Thanks (I didn't feel like putting a before because all of you guys know how ugly the ruby tree palette's are

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2015
This is what i call a good tutorial.
Great work.
Really helpful, and easy to understand ;)

Back