• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
Years
Current Patch Progress:

Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Back Sprites (80% - Missing Shiny Pallets for Unova Pokémon)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (100%)
Movesets (4%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (50% - Data/Types etc all in, but they all currently crash the game, need to research the battle scripts)
Gen 4/5 Moves Animations (0%)
Formes (90% - All the basic stuff needed is in, but there's no way to actually trigger the formes yet, except for Arceus's formes. This includes type switching formes!)
Extra TMs (100% - Still breakable, but it's easy enough to change if you wished to do so)
Music Extension Hack (100% - Not necessarily a major part of the hack, but nice to have. Gives you access to 12 direct tracks instead of 5)
Item Extension Hack (100% - Gives you an extra 255 (300 extra slots, of which 45 are the new TMs) items to play around with, as well as the free slots in the existing table for a total of 675 items)
Abilities (40% - Ability names are in, as are the Pokémon they are attached to, but they don't do anything yet)

Have I missed anything? If I have, let me know!

Work incribel!
I really wonder what you are doing
is a great revolution in the GBA hacks, which are limited to
386 Pokemon have the most 25 slots,
but now with all the Pokemon and features
a NDS game, the hack will be seen GBA
in a much more attractive and much better,
really a great idea and a great job
I am very anxious and would love to see the result and test
to meet this wonderful work

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Current Patch Progress:

Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Back Sprites (80% - Missing Shiny Pallets for Unova Pokémon)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (100%)
Movesets (4%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (50% - Data/Types etc all in, but they all currently crash the game, need to research the battle scripts)
Gen 4/5 Moves Animations (0%)
Formes (90% - All the basic stuff needed is in, but there's no way to actually trigger the formes yet, except for Arceus's formes. This includes type switching formes!)
Extra TMs (100% - Still breakable, but it's easy enough to change if you wished to do so)
Music Extension Hack (100% - Not necessarily a major part of the hack, but nice to have. Gives you access to 12 direct tracks instead of 5)
Item Extension Hack (100% - Gives you an extra 255 (300 extra slots, of which 45 are the new TMs) items to play around with, as well as the free slots in the existing table for a total of 675 items)
Abilities (40% - Ability names are in, as are the Pokémon they are attached to, but they don't do anything yet)

Have I missed anything? If I have, let me know!

WOW!!! I'm completely amazed. This is exactly what I was looking for for my hack! Can't wait to see it finished. If you need any help just let me know!

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Breakable" -- is it breaking the game, can you cause the system to crash, etc? Also, can you implement the infinite use?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Breakable" -- is it breaking the game, can you cause the system to crash, etc? Also, can you implement the infinite use?

What this means is that the new TMs still "break". That is, they are not infinite but they do refill PP, just like the old ones. I could easily implement the infinite TMs thing if I wanted.

any updates on the progress?

No. Bugs bugs bugs bugs. Did I mention bugs?
Lots of bug fixing going on, and since I spend increasing amounts of time at University, I've got less and less time to work on the patch. You're just gonna have to be patient.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
No. Bugs bugs bugs bugs. Did I mention bugs?
Lots of bug fixing going on, and since I spend increasing amounts of time at University, I've got less and less time to work on the patch. You're just gonna have to be patient.
We should all understand what you are going through. I love that your at least trying and everyone gets busy in life and all those bugs just make it worst. I wish you could call a computer exterminator XD. Anyways when you are done with this patch your name will go down in the ROM hacking history books. When I go to college I hope to be doing something close to as amazing as this!

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
I believe attacks past the normal limit break because of the lack of animation data.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I believe attacks past the normal limit break because of the lack of animation data.

It's partially that and partially something else, which is that the new attacks use battle scripts (which are generally poorly understood) to execute the effects of the attack.

As of right now, the new attacks don't carry any of the new effects which they should, they simply do damage, or do nothing.

They DO however run the DPSS properly AFAICT, so attacks like Scratch are fairy ineffective when a Pokémon like Charmander uses it (from experience).

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Hey

Hey jambo I just had a couple questions about your patch (and don't worry it's not about progress xD)
  1. When the patch is release will there be empty spaces (other than the orginal 25 between Celebi and Treecko) for fakemon or something because I have quite a few (maybe 50) new pokemon that I'd like to insert without replacing?
  2. Will there be room to make new moves without replacing others?
That's all I can think of now but also I just wanted to say if you needed someone to insert move sets of pokemon I can do so. Thanks in advanced

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
[SIZE="a"]Firstly, the phrase should be "Thanks in advance." you don't need the d.

Secondly, there won't be free space as such. That is, I've specifically limited everything to 650 Pokemon (649 + Missingno). However, where possible, I have removed limiters, and documented the locations of absolutely necessary ones. So, if you wanted, you could use the documentation to add up to 999 Pokemon.

Finally, there are no limiters associated with the moves, except one which I removed, so all you need to do is repoint the table(s) and fill in the new entries.[/SIZE]

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
[SIZE="a"]Firstly, the phrase should be "Thanks in advance." you don't need the d.

Secondly, there won't be free space as such. That is, I've specifically limited everything to 650 Pokemon (649 + Missingno). However, where possible, I have removed limiters, and documented the locations of absolutely necessary ones. So, if you wanted, you could use the documentation to add up to 999 Pokemon.

Finally, there are no limiters associated with the moves, except one which I removed, so all you need to do is repoint the table(s) and fill in the new entries.[/SIZE]

Thanks this is useful and sorry for my grammar. xD There was one more question I had forgot to ask was will this be compatible with JPAN's Hack Engine without screwing each other up. Thanks in advance (See I got it right xD)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hehe, good stuff on fixing the grammar/spelling.
You won't be able to use JPAN's patch version of the engine, but you CAN use the installer to add his engine. There might be some incompatibilities, but most of his code should be fully compatible.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
Just wanted to report an odd finding that I've seen with the part of the hack that allows Pokemon to evolve without the National Dex. I've directed some people to it for their hacks on another forum, and it seems there is a problem. Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon do evolve just fine, but Gen 1 mons don't evolve to mons from other Gens; so Golbat->Crobat doesn't work while Chikorita->Bayleef does. I have no idea why this might be, but it's something you'll want to look in to.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
The entire point of that part of the hack is to make it so that you don't have to give out the National Dex. Was that not clear from the OP?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Just wanted to report an odd finding that I've seen with the part of the hack that allows Pokemon to evolve without the National Dex. I've directed some people to it for their hacks on another forum, and it seems there is a problem. Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon do evolve just fine, but Gen 1 mons don't evolve to mons from other Gens; so Golbat->Crobat doesn't work while Chikorita->Bayleef does. I have no idea why this might be, but it's something you'll want to look in to.

Thanks for alerting me to that bug. I honestly thought I'd fixed that, but I shall have another look when I get a chance.

I doubt that's a priority, as most hacks give out the National Pokédex immediately. Still, that does need to be fixed eventually.

It's certainly not a priority, but it's something I would like to have fixed before I release anything.

Incidentally, I will be releasing a Public Alpha within the next few days/weeks. I'll detail the Terms and Conditions (and such) when it gets released. It's currently available to a select few hackers I know for (semi) private alpha testing.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Incidentally, I will be releasing a Public Alpha within the next few days/weeks. I'll detail the Terms and Conditions (and such) when it gets released. It's currently available to a select few hackers I know for (semi) private alpha testing.

I can't wait to see this. I would love to help with if you need any. I could insert the footprints or edit the movesets if needed. If your not willing to lend me the alpha early I can wait until you release it to everyone and report any bugs to you. You are amazing!

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Thanks for alerting me to that bug. I honestly thought I'd fixed that, but I shall have another look when I get a chance.

It's certainly not a priority, but it's something I would like to have fixed before I release anything.

-- Will documentation be provided, or is it up to us to find / observe the changes in the patch? ( apart from the casual observer's obvious observations )

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Tell me what documentation you guys want, and I'll try to provide it for you.
At the end of the day, the patch is being developed for you (and anyone else who wants it, of course :P).

For ease of use, I'll bundle a known bug list and 2 XSE header files so that people don't need to guess the indices of the new pokémon and items.

I will most likely also provide my ini for PGE so that people can see the new stuff in PGE.

Apart from that, what do you want documentation about?

Back