• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I remember when the Animation Editor didn't save your animations. Those were the days. Past tense, of course.

In the script section Compiler, find the following def. Add the green lines and delete the red line.
Code:
def pbCompileAnimations
  begin
    [COLOR=Red][B][COLOR=Green]if $RPGVX                                                  # ADD[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=Black]      pbanims=load_data("Data/PkmnAnimations.rvdata")[/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=Green]else[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B][COLOR=Green]                                                       # ADD[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B][COLOR=Green]      pbanims=load_data("Data/PkmnAnimations.rxdata")[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B][COLOR=Green]          # ADD[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B][COLOR=Green]    end[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B][COLOR=Green]                                                        # ADD[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
    rescue
    pbanims=PBAnimations.new
  end[COLOR=black]
  move2anim=[[],[]]
  [/COLOR][COLOR=black]if $RPGVX
    anims=load_data("Data/Animations.rvdata")
  [/COLOR][COLOR=black]else
    anims=load_data("Data/Animations.rxdata")
  end
  for anim in anims[/COLOR]
    next if !anim
    found=false
    for i in 0...pbanims.length
      if pbanims[i] && pbanims[i].id==anim.id
        [B][COLOR=Red]pbanims[i]=pbConvertRPGAnimation(anim)[/COLOR][/B]                 [COLOR=Red][B]# DELETE[/B][/COLOR]
        found=true
        break
      end
    end
    if !found
      pbanims[pbanims.length]=pbConvertRPGAnimation(anim)
    end
  end
Explanation
There are two animation files: "PkmnAnimations.rxdata" is for animations made with the Animation Editor in Essentials, and "Animations.rxdata" is for animations made within the Database (F9) in RMXP. Whenever the game is recompiled, it recompiles the animations, which involves comparing these two files. The deleted red line gave priority to the Database animations, so any animation made by the Animation Editor is replaced by the Database animation if it exists (even if it's blank). That's the opposite of what we want to happen - AE animations should take priority. Deleting the red line makes that so.

The added green lines let you load the correct animation file for comparison.

I still have a bit of testing with this fix to do, to make sure it's relevant in all situations. Currently even empty animations in the AE animations file still take priority over the corresponding Database animation. I may separate move animations and "other" animations, so the AE is solely for move animations and the Database is solely for "other" animations (grass rustling, exclamation marks, common animations, etc.), with no crossover allowed. If anyone knows anything about animations, I'd love to hear your view on this idea (PM/VM me to avoid cluttering this thread).

:cool:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Don't know if anybody has noticed this... But CURSE for a Ghost type, doesn't do anything! I'm not too sure if it works at all, but it doesn't do nothing, no message, no hp edit, nothing.

EDIT: In fact, LICK doesn't work either...

And, does anybody know a good recording program, because this same battle causes something dodgy to happen, and explaining this would be hard.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Don't know if anybody has noticed this... But CURSE for a Ghost type, doesn't do anything! I'm not too sure if it works at all, but it doesn't do nothing, no message, no hp edit, nothing.

EDIT: In fact, LICK doesn't work either...

And, does anybody know a good recording program, because this same battle causes something dodgy to happen, and explaining this would be hard.
Curse has the wrong target number in moves.txt - it is 01, but should be 00. Just change that, and it should work fine.

I've tested Lick (being used by a Pikachu), and it worked fine as a move. There's nothing special about Lick, so I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Fraps is a screen-recording software I've heard of. I don't know whether it's good or not, but since it's widespread enough for me to have heard of it, it must have its fans for a reason.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Curse has the wrong target number in moves.txt - it is 01, but should be 00. Just change that, and it should work fine.

I've tested Lick (being used by a Pikachu), and it worked fine as a move. There's nothing special about Lick, so I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Fraps is a screen-recording software I've heard of. I don't know whether it's good or not, but since it's widespread enough for me to have heard of it, it must have its fans for a reason.

Right I looked over this and my CURSE seems to be 10D, as it is in the scripts, as is in your newer ESSENTIALS... Plus that Fraps program I can't get to work... So I can't record using that... But I played the battle over again and it seems when I switch Pokémon, that's when the battle messes up! This is what I do, when I start the battle, I send out a MACHOP, which GASTLY or MACHOP can't really attack, so I just LEER the crap out of GASTLY, then send out a PIDGEOT, but, here is where the battle goes stupid, PIDGEOT can use, FEATHERDANCE and QUICKATTACK, (clearly QUICKATTACK doesn't effect GASTLY though), and when I use WHIRLWIND, it uses the correct message and fails... But WINGATTACK, does nothing, no message, no nothing, again, I started the battle but this time switched in WARTORTLE, WITHDRAW works, RAPIDSPIN, WATERGUN and BITE however do not, it's as if it sees the move but skips the effect in this case being the battle phase.

Maruno

Years
Right I looked over this and my CURSE seems to be 10D, as it is in the scripts, as is in your newer ESSENTIALS... Plus that Fraps program I can't get to work... So I can't record using that... But I played the battle over again and it seems when I switch Pokémon, that's when the battle messes up! This is what I do, when I start the battle, I send out a MACHOP, which GASTLY or MACHOP can't really attack, so I just LEER the crap out of GASTLY, then send out a PIDGEOT, but, here is where the battle goes stupid, PIDGEOT can use, FEATHERDANCE and QUICKATTACK, (clearly QUICKATTACK doesn't effect GASTLY though), and when I use WHIRLWIND, it uses the correct message and fails... But WINGATTACK, does nothing, no message, no nothing, again, I started the battle but this time switched in WARTORTLE, WITHDRAW works, RAPIDSPIN, WATERGUN and BITE however do not, it's as if it sees the move but skips the effect in this case being the battle phase.
10D is the function code, not the target. You want the red number as follows:

Code:
185,CURSE,Curse,10D,0,GHOST,Status,0,10,0,[COLOR=Red]00[/COLOR],0,,Tough,A move that works differently for the Ghost type than for all the other types.
I can't recreate your problem with moves not working. Maybe you've changed something?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
10D is the function code, not the target. You want the red number as follows:

Code:
185,CURSE,Curse,10D,0,GHOST,Status,0,10,0,[COLOR=Red]00[/COLOR],0,,Tough,A move that works differently for the Ghost type than for all the other types.
I can't recreate your problem with moves not working. Maybe you've changed something?

Ah I see... Will test this shortly.

I can always send you my project and you can see what I see?

EDIT: I took a quick set of pictures of the battle now... Changing that 01 to 00 fixed the CURSE problem, but you already knew this...

The battle I played as MACHOP out first... Everything works as normal... GASTLY even used CURSE to show it worked... Which then killed MACHOP after my attack... I sent out PIDGEOT

battleqp.png

As you can kind of make out, I used WINGATTACK, which did nothing and GASTLY immediately after used SPITE, which failed, which it shouldn't as I used WINGATTACK before...

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
What I did:

Wild battle against L20 Gastly. Sent out L20 Machop, spammed Tail Whip until it fainted due to attacks/Curse. Sent out L39 Pidgeotto, used Wing Attack, works as normal, Gastly faints.

Sorry, I still can't replicate your problem. If you want me to look at your project I can do. Just set things up first for me to jump right into the problem battle.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
What I did:

Wild battle against L20 Gastly. Sent out L20 Machop, spammed Tail Whip until it fainted due to attacks/Curse. Sent out L39 Pidgeotto, used Wing Attack, works as normal, Gastly faints.

Sorry, I still can't replicate your problem. If you want me to look at your project I can do. Just set things up first for me to jump right into the problem battle.

I figured I would completely change to all of your newer scripts... So, I changed my scripts in data to yours, and, stupidly it gives me an error...

Spoiler:

It has no error if I comment this out:
Code:
  def pbStartPokemonMenu
    @scene.pbStartScene
    endscene=true
    [B][COLOR=Green]#pbSetViableDexes[/COLOR][/B]
    commands=[]
    cmdPokedex=-1
    cmdPokemon=-1
    cmdBag=-1
    cmdTrainer=-1
    cmdSave=-1
    cmdOption=-1
    cmdPokegear=-1
    cmdDebug=-1
    cmdQuit=-1
I get no error... Without this bit of code, the battle is perfect... Except, I have no text box, I don't know it I'm meant to add that or not, but it's not visible

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Well, that's your problem. You're changing things. Obviously you've missed something (although pbSetViableDexes has nothing to do with the battle system, so the missing text box is a separate issue).

I strongly advise that any "upgrading" you do is actually the editing a fresh copy of the latest Essentials, rather than copying newer code into your existing game. It's easier that way. If you're keeping track of your code changes like any decent developer (i.e. put a comment next to each line you change), this should be tedious but not difficult.

Y'know, I thought I might have had a response to the "Animation Editor now works" thing...

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Thanks for making me feel awful about my lack of skills by the way... I am trying.

Nevertheless, I was missing the battle box graphics so that's all fixed now, you changed the file names to "battle****box", which I noticed, so I just renamed mine, I'm trying to follow the WIKI on what changes you are making, but I can't keep up with them all and little ones like that aren't on there!

The errors that a save file can bring with it... I started a New Game, and now the error has gone *SIGH*, everything is perfect now... So it was nothing to do with my scripts, it was everything to do with my stubborness, I really didn't wanna start a New Game, silly me.

What do you mean by this?
Y'know, I thought I might have had a response to the "Animation Editor now works" thing...

Years
Hi, I've found copy of my RMXP project based on Essentials (no the current version I think) in the depths on my hard drive. I can open project file and edit it, or start the game using Game.exe, but hen I try to run Test Game from the project, or to use Editor.exe, this is what I get:
29wwf36.png

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Maruno

Years
Thanks for making me feel awful about my lack of skills by the way... I am trying.

Nevertheless, I was missing the battle box graphics so that's all fixed now, you changed the file names to "battle****box", which I noticed, so I just renamed mine, I'm trying to follow the WIKI on what changes you are making, but I can't keep up with them all and little ones like that aren't on there!

The errors that a save file can bring with it... I started a New Game, and now the error has gone *SIGH*, everything is perfect now... So it was nothing to do with my scripts, it was everything to do with my stubborness, I really didn't wanna start a New Game, silly me.

What do you mean by this?
I'm sorry if I made you feel bad. However, this thread is for reporting bugs in the latest version of Essentials that are there by default, not for problem caused by your own script changes - the latter should go in their own threads.

Obviously not every single little change is listed in the changelog; it'd be ridiculous to expect me to do that, as it would take up so much more of my time. Renaming a file to have a better name is hardly worthy of mention, in my opinion, and I would likely miss noting some of the renames even if I was trying to record them all. That kind of information would only be useful to the vast minority who are trying to update their own games, rather than copying across changes to a fresh version as recommended.

I meant that it was a big deal that I'd gotten the Animation Editor to work (I've since managed to get it to work even better). It was one of those big and ancient problems, which people seem to have given up complaining about and have now just forgotten all about it. Now that it works, it'll open the gates for new animations. It seemed like a big deal to me.

Hi, I've found copy of my RMXP project based on Essentials (no the current version I think) in the depths on my hard drive. I can open project file and edit it, or start the game using Game.exe, but hen I try to run Test Game from the project, or to use Editor.exe, this is what I get:
29wwf36.png

Does anyone know how to fix it?
What the Zeus have you got in your types.txt PBS file?! Try deleting it and running the game again.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
A little info on why this happens... To clarify, I downloaded a fresh Essentials off the Wiki, I've also tried running Editor.exe as administrator, I've also tried running it under Service Pack 2, and all the above...

errorpicture4.png

I tried an older version from like 2 years ago or something like that, and it works fine! I've created about 4 animations with the older version to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but the newer version, fails everytime... Which is a shame!

I'm only pointing this out because it seems nobody is using the Animation Editor and/or this is my bug, which as stated above, the older versions are fine, but you did say you wanted some sort of feedback!

FYI, it is named aaa because I got tired of naming it the attack itself as I tried several times and all failed, tried meaning, opening and closing, creating then trying to export, several times, which gets boring and time consuming.

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
When in a Controlled Double Wild Battle *Meaning that the Battle is treat like a wild battle but through a Conditional branch and there is a registered partner* one of the pokémons is defeated the menssage of 'Shmoo obtained 80 Exp Points!' Shows three times instead of a single one.

Is there a way to quick fix this?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
I'm sorry if I made you feel bad. However, this thread is for reporting bugs in the latest version of Essentials that are there by default, not for problem caused by your own script changes - the latter should go in their own threads.

Obviously not every single little change is listed in the changelog; it'd be ridiculous to expect me to do that, as it would take up so much more of my time. Renaming a file to have a better name is hardly worthy of mention, in my opinion, and I would likely miss noting some of the renames even if I was trying to record them all. That kind of information would only be useful to the vast minority who are trying to update their own games, rather than copying across changes to a fresh version as recommended.
This kind or information can be get comparing the two versions scripts (using programs that show the changes like the wikipedia ones or manually).
But pasting more that a hundred of different changes can be very less practical that copying the new Essentials features separately.
You probably understand. If other people is taking over Essentials and you continues making your game, do you update your game or copy across changes to a fresh version as recommended?

I am putting bugfix directly into Wikia page that have the same purpose that this thread, but the info is better organized for future references.

Maruno

Years
A little info on why this happens... To clarify, I downloaded a fresh Essentials off the Wiki, I've also tried running Editor.exe as administrator, I've also tried running it under Service Pack 2, and all the above...

errorpicture4.png

I tried an older version from like 2 years ago or something like that, and it works fine! I've created about 4 animations with the older version to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but the newer version, fails everytime... Which is a shame!

I'm only pointing this out because it seems nobody is using the Animation Editor and/or this is my bug, which as stated above, the older versions are fine, but you did say you wanted some sort of feedback!

FYI, it is named aaa because I got tired of naming it the attack itself as I tried several times and all failed, tried meaning, opening and closing, creating then trying to export, several times, which gets boring and time consuming.
As I said, there are a number of problems with the Animation Editor. The inability to export animations is one of them, and I've fixed that one too. It's due to it asking the player to name the file, which is just bizarre and probably due to the message system changes that Poccil made ages ago. Again, I've fixed that for the next release (which will be coming out very shortly!).

The fix I gave earlier will at least allow your animations to be saved, which is better than before.

This kind or information can be get comparing the two versions scripts (using programs that show the changes like the wikipedia ones or manually).
But pasting more that a hundred of different changes can be very less practical that copying the new Essentials features separately.
You probably understand. If other people is taking over Essentials and you continues making your game, do you update your game or copy across changes to a fresh version as recommended?

I am putting bugfix directly into Wikia page that have the same purpose that this thread, but the info is better organized for future references.
I think the phrase "as recommended" says it all. Updating Essentials is never easy, whichever method you use. At least with the "modify the latest Essentials" method, you have a working project to start with - it's so much easier to miss a few changes with the "upgrade your own project" method and make it not work.

Ah yes, the wiki. I should do some more work on that at some point.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Current to today's release, the Trace ability has the following error:

In a Trainer Battle where the opponent's Pokemon is KO'd, in Shift Mode the player is prompted to send out a new Pokemon. If that Pokemon knows Trace, it will immediately Trace the opponent's fainted Pokemon, instead of waiting until the Trainer sends out their next Pokemon before activating.

EDIT: Found something else. Trainer Battle, Shift Mode- Player selects an attack, opponent is faster and use Explosion (probably SelfDestruct, too). The opponent's Pokemon is KO'd and the player is prompted to shift. After the new Pokemon is sent out, the attack selected BEFORE the explosion (which never happened, thanks to the opponent killing itself first) occurs despite that pokemon being recalled.
Also, Explosion/SelfDestruct seem really weak... Going to see if it's something in moves.txt doing that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Where can I quickly edited sprites postion in animation, because chagne this in Editor is too very long? Because in move animation, every sprites change their postions. Screenshot:

capture121.bmp

Back