• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Would pokemon X and Y ROM hacking ever be possible?

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
I'm going to put this short, but the only reason nobody wants to do DS Hacks, and will probably not do X/Y hacks is because all the maps are in 3D, meaning that the only hacks that will actually surface will require a lot of 3D modeling experience, which simply does not come easily. GBA Hacking will probably one of the last hacking scenes accessible to all kinds of people due to it's ease of editing.

Loads of people make Smash Bros hacks and mods for all sorts of PC games though. While, yes some of those titles are deliberately designed to make it easier for players to add their own custom content, I think there's plenty of room for varying degrees of small 'mods' ala Smash Bros - people can easily edit textures, replace sounds, edit animations with a decent amount of understanding and even create new meshes for clothes (or just edit existing models) due to the nature of how 3D graphics work; once we have the understanding of how the games' file formats work.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Loads of people make Smash Bros hacks and mods for all sorts of PC games though. While, yes some of those titles are deliberately designed to make it easier for players to add their own custom content, I think there's plenty of room for varying degrees of small 'mods' ala Smash Bros - people can easily edit textures, replace sounds, edit animations with a decent amount of understanding and even create new meshes for clothes (or just edit existing models) due to the nature of how 3D graphics work; once we have the understanding of how the games' file formats work.

It's not so much the character modification that's an issue, but the maps themselves. Creating a completely unique hack would require one to model out an entire region, which will require a lot of time, patience, and skill. But yes, there are the kinds of people that can and will do those kinds of modifications eventually, just not for a while.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
Right now it's not possible
but in the future I'm sure someone will try and hack it

Mikekillkill

Musket Marine
Years
the only things that may pop up for XY is wild editors, text editors, legendary event editors, starter editors, and maybe script editors...

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
It will be possible to do so, although it would be very very hard. There would be a lot to find, and a helluva lot to change as well. Who knows? There might be some more unused stuff hidden in the game, that we don't know about. I might consider starting a rom map for it once the roms are accessible.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
Yeah we already have people looking into that. There's some prototype music and the Kanto Champion battle theme - which was also hidden in BW to play during the real-life Pokemon Video Game Championships (and when you downloaded the teams of the 2012 tournament finalists in BW2)

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Yep it'd be possible. Cause ROM hacking on every game released so far has been done so X and Y would also be possible when a computer version is released

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I think Wild Pokémon encounters and Trainer Pokémon have very less to do with graphics, so maybe they can be changed.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Although completely possible with time, DS hacking has been accessible for a while now, yet there aren't any tools to help out much, although the ones we do have are well-made, and helps. For 3DS hacking to be a thing, you'll need to hsve access to 3DS roms. Which will not be coming for a while. Especially emulators, which take a long time to make(it took a good while for Gamecube and Wii emulators to reach completion) so you'll need patience, as in, you'll need to wait a long time(maybe 5 years) for 3DS emulators and roms, then YEARS, for good tools outside hex editors to be accessible to the public. If you have that big of patience, I commend you. But in that time, the GBA tools and resources can exceed everything GBA can do, and maybe even surpass that of the DS(mayyybe.) Its not impossible, just expect a VERY VERY long wait.

Braxien

Banned
Years
It will be possible in the future. There are people looking into the matter. However, there would definitely be a lot to find and a lot to change, as Penta Penguin has previously stated.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2014
well , i have been around a bit , and i think its could be easy, i am a student in maa Media art and animation , i am 20 years old and i have done 3d modeling and animated . the only hard part i see in this is being able to port a model from Maya into the 3ds rom. I think there is a simpler step that can help people hack x ,y. i think that by exporting the models they can re texture current extincting models. The problem doesn't come from the animation it self , just the way you would have to patch it i think.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 3, 2014
I am just hoping for a NDS rom hack based on B2/W2 with an older region that has pokemon from X and Y generation lol.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 12, 2015
it would be great if there could be a 'harder version' hack of XY like volt white, seeing as the low difficulty was one of the detracting points of the game.
the e4 with 6 pokemon and a mega each :O diantha with ev trained pokemon
hope it can happen one day.

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2014
I found "ROMs" for Pokemon X and Y a year ago. The site only allowed me to download one and I went with Pokemon X. It is formatted as a .3ds file, I tried uploading it here, but it won't work.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
To clarify for people:

1. There are X and Y dumps out there. People can play them on the 3DS flash cart.

2. There are a small number of people that are able to hack the game to an extent.

3. The ROMs are encrypted and from what I know you need a key to be able to even just view the data.

4. Not much information about how to hack the games is available to the public and it may or may not be released in the future.

5. Programmers that make the games use computer programs to make the games so as long as programs and information to work on the games is released it is possible to hack the X and Y games.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 22, 2022
Actually, you wouldn't have to edit any of the pokemon unless you would like to create a new evolution or mega evolution. you may have to edit the trainer sprites though. that seems to be the only thing that you would HAVE to animate. and even then, it would only have to be main characters. it's still a tough challenge, but it isn't as unrealistic as many others on this post have made it out to be.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Yes! Absolutely! It's already possible to do so. There's two three ways you can actually do it:

1. Buy a Gateway 3DS Flashcard (which requires your 3DS to be on system firmware 4.5 or lower) and then download an app for Gateway 3DS that decrypts the ROMFS.
2. Download an app that decrypts the ROMFS and doesn't require Gateway 3DS (but you'll still need a 3DS with firmware 4.5 or lower).
3. Google for a decrypted ROMFS of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.

Then you can do some altering around with the data, extract models, and pretty much do anything. Then you can modify them in any way possible. It's not difficult if you already know how to edit the files within Nintendo DS ROMs. Yet, most of the files are actually the binary form of a compiled XML file. I really hope this information helps. I'm sure we'll all be able to work together to hack Pokémon X/Y and OR/AS. If others can do it, we can as well. ^^

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 15, 2015
Have there ever been ROM/ISO hacks of previous 3D pokemon games? Stadium, Colosseum etc?

I imagine that if there haven't, 3D is pretty tough.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Well.. considering the fact that there are some Model Swaps in Youtube.. it will eventually happen.
We just need to wait 1 or 2 decades more. (Since even now, the DS ROM-Hacking is pretty much starting, with projects like Light Platinum DS from Mikelan_98)

Cya~

Alex Night

Charmander Shepard
Years
I mean, I personally would be all up for seeing Gen 6 Pokemon ROM Hacks, especially if they are Drayano-styled ROM hacks to make Gen 6 harder. Man, I'd get all sorts of excited for a harder version of the Kalos region. As for making things like entirely new Mega Evolutions or just new Pokemon in general, I don't know about all that since 3D modeling is far different from 2D modelling from what I can tell.

Back