• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

United Kingdom legalizes gay marriage

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
MPs have approved same-sex marriage in England and Wales in a key Commons vote, despite the opposition of almost half the Conservative MPs.

The Commons voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, by 400 to 175, a majority of 225, at the end of a full day's debate on the bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron has described the move as "an important step forward" that strengthens society.

Voting lists show that 136 Conservatives opposed the bill.

This figure includes two cabinet ministers - Environment Secretary Owen Paterson and Welsh Secretary David Jones - eight junior ministers, and eight whips.

Of the remaining Conservative MPs, 127 were in favour, 35 did not vote, and five registered an abstention by voting both in favour and against.

Junior justice minister Helen Grant said: "As Tories we do differ at times. We have squabbles - we're like any other family."

But she described the legislation as "a major step forward for equality and justice".

'We are all equal'

Deputy Prime Minister and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said: "I genuinely believe that we will look back on today as a landmark for equality in Britain.

"Tonight's vote shows Parliament is very strongly in favour of equal marriage.

"No matter who you are and who you love, we are all equal. Marriage is about love and commitment, and it should no longer be denied to people just because they are gay.

"The Liberal Democrats have long fought for equal marriage. It is party policy and I am proud that the Liberal Democrats are part of the coalition government that are making it happen."

MPs were given a free vote on the bill, meaning they were not ordered to vote a particular way by party whips.

Their decision to back the bill at second reading signifies that they approve of it in principle. The legislation will now receive more detailed parliamentary scrutiny.

'Divided nation'

Opposition leader Ed Miliband said: "This is a proud day and an important step forward in the fight for equality in Britain.

"The overwhelming majority of Labour MPs supported this change to make sure marriage reflects the value we place on long-term, loving relationships whoever you love.

"Equal marriage builds on Labour's successes in government which include the repeal of Section 28, equalising the age of consent, the introduction of civil partnerships and changes to the rules governing adoption."

But Conservative MP David Burrowes said: "We do respect the equal value of men and women, but surely that doesn't avoid us looking and celebrating difference, and marriage is a great way of celebrating the difference between a man and a woman."

He predicted that the legislation would receive substantial opposition when it arrived in the House of Lords.

He said the vote result had shown that the party was in touch with the country: "The nation is divided, we have shown ourselves as a party to be divided."

He added: "We have been the ones showing ourselves to have a grown-up, free-vote, conscience issue debate, and we shouldn't hide behind the fact that we're going to be divided on this issue."

Source

As one of my friends said, "So, the UK is legalizing gay marriage. I find it ironic that the US is always preaching about our equality and freedoms, yet the empire we separated ourselves from FOR freedom is leaps and bounds ahead of us on that matter. Our country's economy is just barely back on its feet, but we're still so concerned with who marries whom. To sum up my feelings? How embarrassing."

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'm super glad. Having lived with an everyone is equal mentality for most of my pubescent years, I found it weird that people are against it. I understand fully that change is hard to swallow, and that such a thing is seen as filth by most, even my parents, but still, they're people. They deserve to enjoy being together as much as straight couples do, and so what if they're holding hands or kissing on the street? They want to show affection for each other as much as straight couples do, and you don't see them being disgusted at the sight of a guy and a woman kissing do you? No! Hopefully Europe's forward thinking will start to put the US in a position were they're looking a bit behind, and things change for the better on a global scale instead of a country scale.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Just for reference, it hasn't been legalized yet, and still actually has a fair bit to go.

The bill has only been passed by the House of Commons and still needs to be passed by the House of Lords (i.e. the equivalent of a Senate in most other countries). Indeed, because of the heavily Conservative party majority in that house, it will probably have a tougher ride getting through that House. The bill passing in the Commons is certainly an optimistic sign (although, given opinion polls broadly expressing favour in the UK for gay marriage, it would have been a massive shock had it been defeated), and that's something to be proud of, but it's not out of the woods yet.

Years
So we're behind yet another developed, Western country in terms of basic human rights. And it looks like the U.K. has the same problem with Consevatives as the states do, haha.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I still want to see how the debate is going to go at The Other Place. It's going to be so. damn. fun. to watch, all those Spiritual Peers being outraged out of their minds. I hope I can grab a stream.

The good news is, chances are it will be fully legalized by 2014, when the Lords cannot veto it any longer, if they do. Take into account that a single Commons vote is not enough to immediately pass a law (although is a damned good signal, as a second identical vote would be enough to override it if it came down to that).

I'm glad more countries are realizing that there's nothing wrong with giving more rights to people; in fact, the wrong thing IS denying rights for no justifiable reason anymore.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Glad to see that there are other countries thinking forward. US, you gonna get out of the 1800's any time soon?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
So we're behind yet another developed, Western country in terms of basic human rights. And it looks like the U.K. has the same problem with Consevatives as the states do, haha.
Not really. The Republicans are a breed onto themselves.

Of the remaining Conservative MPs, 127 were in favour, 35 did not vote, and five registered an abstention by voting both in favour and against.

My guess is that those who did not vote or abstained were actually for it and did not want to break party lines or face angry voters come election time. They had a good piece on The Daily Show the other day showing some of the "arguments" some of the Tories put forth and how they were nothing like what the Republicans act or believe.

Years
I should see that Daily Show piece. Sometimes I have this sick impulse to hear raving lunatics spew nonsense about things and I'd love to hear why (some) British conservatives are against gay marriage.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I should see that Daily Show piece. Sometimes I have this sick impulse to hear raving lunatics spew nonsense about things and I'd love to hear why (some) British conservatives are against gay marriage.
They're weren't Republican responses, if that's what you're looking for.

One was like "I think we have bigger issues right now" (although I don't know how that stops acting on little issues when you're already debating it. Not going to take more time than that O_o) and another was "I recognize that the majority of population would likely support gay marriage, but I will be voting against it [to keep inline with the party". It kinda had a feeling like "We don't really care that much, but we're Conservative and we're support to vote this way and if we don't our voters will be mad at us and this will likely pass anyway, so who cares?" lol

Whereas the Republican argument would be God and fire and brimstone and protecting marriage and what not

Years
They're weren't Republican responses, if that's what you're looking for.

One was like "I think we have bigger issues right now" (although I don't know how that stops acting on little issues when you're already debating it. Not going to take more time than that O_o) and another was "I recognize that the majority of population would likely support gay marriage, but I will be voting against it [to keep inline with the party". It kinda had a feeling like "We don't really care that much, but we're Conservative and we're support to vote this way and if we don't our voters will be mad at us and this will likely pass anyway, so who cares?" lol

Whereas the Republican argument would be God and fire and brimstone and protecting marriage and what not
That's kind of disappointing, to be quite honest. I was hoping to see something more fiery.

Years
It's good to see that finally somewhere is actually looking quite close to allowing gay marriage. That being said I have seen this numerous times in my own country. The bill makes it through the lower house but then gets thrown out by the higher one (it probably doesn't help that our prime minister is opposed to gay marriage but really she's in the lower house anyway). I hope this isn't going to be the case for the UK.

Am I the only one who thinks Europe seems to be way ahead of the world on a lot of "issues"? The rest of us really need to catch up... I mean there really is no reason to not allow it when even the majority of straight people either support gay marriage or at least don't care either way.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Am I the only one who thinks Europe seems to be way ahead of the world on a lot of "issues"? The rest of us really need to catch up... I mean there really is no reason to not allow it when even the majority of straight people either support gay marriage or at least don't care either way.
On the more so-called "social" issues, yes. Germany and France - should be the model of healthcare for the rest of the world. All across Europe is some terrific public transit. And trains. And tunnels. Sweden or Switzerland (I'm sorry, I mix them up a lot) has a great public-private educational model.

But, economically. I think it would be pretty accurate to say they're in the hole right now. And some EU aspects aren't so hot

Last edited:
Years
On the more so-called "social" issues, yes. Germany and France - should be the model of healthcare for the rest of the world. All across Europe is so terrific public transit. And trains. And tunnels. Sweden or Switzerland (I'm sorry, I mix them up a lot) has a great public-private educational model.

But, economically. I think it would be pretty accurate to say they're in the hole right now. And some EU aspects aren't so hot
Economically, if they hadn't gone with all those austerity measures they probably wouldn't be so bad off, but that is beside the point.

From what I've read there are surprising differences between how Europe (really, western Europe) and North America (a.k.a. the US) look at the issue of gay marriage. Europe seems more than happy to have completely equal (from what I understand at least) civil unions or whatever term they use even if they're not up for gay marriage. We don't really have anything like that in America. You've either got the pro- same-sex marriage side or the anti- same-sex marriage side.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Source

As one of my friends said, "So, the UK is legalizing gay marriage. I find it ironic that the US is always preaching about our equality and freedoms, yet the empire we separated ourselves from FOR freedom is leaps and bounds ahead of us on that matter. Our country's economy is just barely back on its feet, but we're still so concerned with who marries whom. To sum up my feelings? How embarrassing."

U.S. and U.K. marriage laws are very different. In our system of divided powers between the federal and state governments, marriage is a state issues, and many states have have legalized same-sex marriage.

droomph

weeb
Years
Glad to see that there are other countries thinking forward. US, you gonna get out of the 1800's any time soon?
Not so, says the olden-days-of-yore people we have in the government.

I honestly think that every body who can veto or can have any sort of real and present power over social issues is mostly white and conservative, while the ones that can't do anything really are all progressive and open-minded.

Who knows, maybe we need to wait. The US is a land of tradition - if we live in a land in which people still can't get over the fact that we don't have to have exactly 50 states, I'm sure not much can convince those people. Kind of an OCD country.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
If this passes, I really hope it puts some pressure on America. But the fact that America hasn't even hinted at mirroring other superior European aspects gives me little faith.

Who knows, maybe we need to wait. The US is a land of tradition -.

"The US is a land of tradition."

Beginning with its tradition of kicking people out of their land so we could colonize, and then using slaves to build said colony!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
This is most definitely good news for the LGBT community in Britain. Too bad the Westboro Church is banned from England, so we can't laugh at them about this. They're an entertaining little cult.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
U.S. and U.K. marriage laws are very different. In our system of divided powers between the federal and state governments, marriage is a state issues, and many states have have legalized same-sex marriage.

For a full legalization only 9 have - I don't know what definition of 'many' that you are using, but 9 our of 50 is not 'many'. Ok, fine - Many have legalized gay marriage. But many many more have forbidden it.

Anyway, it's no suprise really. For all the effort we put into making our country seem nice to all we are really one of the more hateful ones. The UK moving for full legalization sooner then the US isn't that much of a suprise - They also moved a hell of a lot faster to get rid of slavery, while the US decided to start killing each other over it.

Edit

This is most definitely good news for the LGBT community in Britain. Too bad the Westboro Church is banned from England, so we can't laugh at them about this. They're an entertaining little cult.

With all the **** WBC has pulled, do you really think that they are going to let a little ban, put in place by those they see as puppets of Satan, stop them?

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2023
in the end i think it's not really a law to say no to it, it's more of a religious thing.
not the whoal but about what it says in the bible and various random passages, the the wildly helped belief taht marrage is a sacred vowel between a man and a woman, yes the laws say it's legal, but what people really want is to go to a lets say for example, church and have there marriage done like other Catholics or Anglicans, etc. Long winded-ness aside it's definitely good news for the LGBT community over all.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016

Ha, less than 1/5 of the states allow same sex couples to get married. That's hardly what I'd call "many." It's more like just a few.

And to put this into a different perspective, as a neighbour of yours to the north, Canada has been ahead of the US is virtually every civil rights issue, including slavery and women's rights. And the way this country separates the powers between province and country is a whole lot closer to how the U.S. government works compared to how the U.K. government works.

It's not the system of government that makes the difference. It's the attitudes of the people that does. And the U.S., in my experience (yes I've visited on several occasions), is not a very friendly place for people who are gay. I am more free here, as a Canadian, than I would be had I been born American.

The U.S.A. - Land of the free, unless you're gay.

Back