• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon C# Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitargodd97

Video Game Creator
Years
This looks really sick! I'm going to watch this really closely. The map editor is amazing! I can't wait to see what you come up with when you get around to creating the battle system!

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
This looks amazing! I can't wait to see how it turns out. The second a download is available I'll be downloading it.

Also, will custom tiles be able to be imported? That would make this even better than it already looks.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
This looks amazing! I can't wait to see how it turns out. The second a download is available I'll be downloading it.

Also, will custom tiles be able to be imported? That would make this even better than it already looks.

Yes, tilesets and entities will be completely modifiable however you want it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
added tile logic scripting and layers

2yAVo

this patch of grass was created using only the grass script

2yAWB

2yAWY

This is the instant path tool using tile logic, you can draw sort of like paths with it, kinda useful when you quickly and accurately want to make good looking paths

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
added tile logic scripting and layers

2yAVo

this patch of grass was created using only the grass script

2yAWB

2yAWY

This is the instant path tool using tile logic, you can draw sort of like paths with it, kinda useful when you quickly and accurately want to make good looking paths

Will it always ,make the paths 3x3 tiles or can you shorten or lengthen it?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
You really should only draw paths on the tiles the user draws them on. It's not that much harder than what you've already done, in terms of choosing the right path graphic for each tile, and it's definitely what people expect to happen and may well want to happen.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
You really should only draw paths on the tiles the user draws them on. It's not that much harder than what you've already done, in terms of choosing the right path graphic for each tile, and it's definitely what people expect to happen and may well want to happen.

Well, at first, I only wanted to facilitate the making of paths so I made this brush but if I add some sort of width option for the path, set at 0 or 1, it would be what you want.

Anyway,
Here is a simple route map I have made in about 10 minutes yesterday to test the usability of the editor engine. I might have to add copy and pasting of entities and tiles.

2zdzN

You can see it's kind of lacking toward the end of it, I ran out of ideas and I was too lazy to continue it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
I gotta say, that sure does look nice!
The connecting tiles such as paths and tall grass look nice, and make it easy since it's automatic.
I noticed that the trees' and rocks' (entities?) shadows overlapped the tall grass and water.
I'm guessing you put the tiles into one layer, and entities on a higher layer. And since the tiles are drawn first, entities then will then overlap tiles.
Is the water animated? What about the tall grass when you walk over it? The reason why Nintendo doesn't connect the tall grasses is probably because when you walk over it, the grass shakes (2-3 frames). Animating each piece of grass is hard, so they leave each one individual. I don't know if it's like that in the newer Pokemon games, since I don't play them, but it would look nice if the water and tall grass are animated.
This kinda motivates me to get back to Xna. Nice work! [I rarely comment]

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I gotta say, that sure does look nice!
The connecting tiles such as paths and tall grass look nice, and make it easy since it's automatic.
I noticed that the trees' and rocks' (entities?) shadows overlapped the tall grass and water.
I'm guessing you put the tiles into one layer, and entities on a higher layer. And since the tiles are drawn first, entities then will then overlap tiles.
Is the water animated? What about the tall grass when you walk over it? The reason why Nintendo doesn't connect the tall grasses is probably because when you walk over it, the grass shakes (2-3 frames). Animating each piece of grass is hard, so they leave each one individual. I don't know if it's like that in the newer Pokemon games, since I don't play them, but it would look nice if the water and tall grass are animated.
This kinda motivates me to get back to Xna. Nice work! [I rarely comment]

Tiles are all rendered (all 16 layers from 0 to 16) then the entities are. Shadows are generated by the engine as you probably noticed. It will be possible to disable shadows for multiple entities if you wish or change some parameters modifiers to increase shadows or something.

Nothing is animated yet, but of course it'll be included in the future. The tall grass is actually from Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I will do my best to make it somewhat exactly like in those games but also editable so that those who want to use different tilesets of their own are not restricted by those animations.

I have updated the main post to have more information

Last edited:

Nyndyll

PD : O Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Look forward to using this program!
If I knew c# I would be less shy about using this, but...

So would this include like a wild editor? Or would that have to be programmed with the language?
I'll see for myself once you've got a usable version available.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Look forward to using this program!
If I knew c# I would be less shy about using this, but...

So would this include like a wild editor? Or would that have to be programmed with the language?
I'll see for myself once you've got a usable version available.

What do you mean a wild editor? The whole game is to be made inside the map editor itself, no need for additional programs. :)
You will not have to know C# if you want to use the engine, though, some very basic LUA knowledge will be required for event scripting. I will have code samples for those interested.

Nyndyll

PD : O Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
What do you mean a wild editor? The whole game is to be made inside the map editor itself, no need for additional programs. :)
You will not have to know C# if you want to use the engine, though, some very basic LUA knowledge will be required for event scripting. I will have code samples for those interested.

I meant like in essentials, you need to use an external program to edit the wild pokemon. But since you say that that won't be necessary, then you answered my question!
I know a little lua, so that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I meant like in essentials, you need to use an external program to edit the wild pokemon. But since you say that that won't be necessary, then you answered my question!
I know a little lua, so that shouldn't be a huge issue.

RPG maker wasn't made for pokemon :P

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
RPG maker wasn't made for pokemon :P

When he says 'an external program' he doesn't mean RPG Maker XP.
He's talking about Editor.exe
Which comes with the Essentials project folder.
It allows you to edit Metadata, connections for maps, wild pokemon, trainers, trainer types, animations, text, items, etc.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Imo, this app looks promising, it will probably be better than Essentials once released.
Although I'm not trying to offend oxysoft in anyways, I'm kinda disappointed at how slow this is progressing. Maybe you can add a few more screen shots once in a while?

But overall, it looks great!

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Imo, this app looks promising, it will probably be better than Essentials once released.
Although I'm not trying to offend oxysoft in anyways, I'm kinda disappointed at how slow this is progressing. Maybe you can add a few more screen shots once in a while?

But overall, it looks great!

Would progress faster if I wasn't so lazy during the week after school :P
I'm gonna try to force myself to code more now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back