• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

DragonGavin

Dragonish
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2014
You don't need to play competitively to enjoy the game. I have never, nor will I ever battle strangers online after tedious hours of breeding and EV training. There is plenty to keep me occupied within the game already.

Also I think the name sylveon should have been kept for a steel type eeveelution.

Last edited:

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
The bad guys seem to be incredibly bland in every game. They never give a challenge. I want some really hard and challenging ones where maybe even the leader is supposed to whoop you a couple times with high level Pokemon early on so you know what you're up against. Their cases aren't very convincing when you win every single time.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I know, right? I played a few rounds against random people. I swear, EVERY SINGLE PERSON has either Talonflame or Aegislash.

I went to Smogon for advice, and I was not as impressed as I thought I would be.
Half of the Pokemon that I know and love are just shoved aside and ignored. Why can't it just be like the anime, where we use whatever Pokemon and everyone can just do it their way? No tiers, no limits, just using Pokemon like the game was designed for.

Because this isn't the anime, and whether you like it or not, all pokemon are not created equal.

However, you could try battling in the lower tiers (on Showdown), if thats where most of your favorite Pokemon are.

And I have to agree, the ubiquity of Talonflame, Aegislash, and Rotom-W is a bit annoying. It's almost like rain teams last generation.

Jaystar

Sinnoh Veteran
Years
The bad guys seem to be incredibly bland in every game. They never give a challenge. I want some really hard and challenging ones where maybe even the leader is supposed to whoop you a couple times with high level Pokemon early on so you know what you're up against. Their cases aren't very convincing when you win every single time.

Agreed. The only bad guy I had trouble with was Ghetsis and his stupid Hydreigon.

-The gym leaders are too easy. Most of the time, I honestly have to try not to OHKO their Pokemon to make the battle more interesting...

-First gen Pokemon had the worst designs

-Lugia is overrated

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
GSC's post game is not as good as most people make out. Sure they gave us Kanto to explore again but it was extremely lackluster (closed Safari zone, crawling with under levelled Pokemon).

Years
• Comparing Gens on gameplay is simply stupid in my opinion. It's quite obvious that newer games will improve on gameplay. On top of that, it doesn't mean that older versions can't be enjoyable anymore. Comparing Gens on design on the other hand is simply taste. I personally would rate the designs: 1=2=3, 6, 5=4. They all have their own awesome and awful Pokémons. Get over it.

• Celebi, Keldeo, Reshiram and Meloeta are really, really ugly.

• Magmar, Magnetron, Rhydon and Electabuzz are actuallly nice looking, while I think their evolutions are pretty odd looking.

• Klefki and Vanilite are in my opinion the lamest Pokémon when it comes to design.

• I like every Gen starters except for Gen 5 (Except the Snivy-line a bit).

• I don't like Lucario. People compare him to Mewtwo, who is so much more of a badass.
I just don't get the hype around Lucario and yes, I've seen the movie.

• I don't like Arceus. The concept of a Pokémon who created everything jut goes over the top for me.

• I don't dislike legendaries, but there are so many. It would be cooler if some were just looked at as normal pokémons, because the word 'legendary' is losing it's meaning.

• I recently started online battling and I like it. Yes, sometimes it's hard when you face someone with all overpowered Pokémons but I've shred some teams including legendaries like Mega Mewtwo with my UU&OU mixed team without any trouble. A lot of people online are unprepared or don't know what they're doing.

• Pokémon X/Y is short and quite easy indeed but so was any other game to me (except Blue where I hardly knew English). Though Shiny hunting, Breeding perfect teams, Battling online, Catching as many Pokémon are fun things to do post-game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I never bother with starters or legendaries
I think that the evil orgs are the most boring part of the games, while they are the most compelling part of the story
I do my best to use UU or NU Pokemon when I play
I always nickname my Pokemon
eh...

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Well i was gonna say that i hate Rattatta but a lot people hate that rat.

But i have to admit i don't like also Bellsprout, Jigglypuff, Clefairy and Magikarp, but i only like Magikarps evolve form Garados.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I think Zubat, Cubone, Tyrogue, Staryu, Elekid, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Sneasel, Sableye, Sigilyph, Staravia, Nincada, Shedinja, Venomoth, Roserade, Tangrowth, Froslass, and Regice are cute, but nobody else seems to think so.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 20, 2014
For some odd reason, I hate small and cute legendaries like Celebi.
To me, the whole point of a legendary is to guard a certain aspect of the universe, and in order to do that you need a big, strong, bad-butt guardian!
Realistically, does Celebi stand a chance against say, Dialga if pokemon were real?
But then again realistically pokemon can't exist so that contradicts stuff :P
-Beaver

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
For some odd reason, I hate small and cute legendaries like Celebi.
To me, the whole point of a legendary is to guard a certain aspect of the universe, and in order to do that you need a big, strong, bad-butt guardian!
Realistically, does Celebi stand a chance against say, Dialga if pokemon were real?
But then again realistically pokemon can't exist so that contradicts stuff :P
-Beaver

The atom is one of the smallest forms of matter known to modern science.

You tell Hiroshima that it lacks power.

Years
Okay, here's my list.

-Zubat, Garbodor and Vanililuxe are some of my favourite Pokémon
-Pokémon like Syther, Gyarados, Charizard, and Salamence (I dunno if Salamence is... I just really don't like it) are extremely overrated
-Generation IV was the best generation. What's so bad about it?
-Dragon did not need a nerf for Gen. VI. In my opinion, it's now one of the weakest types in existence.
-Some Pokémon that should've been retconed to Fairy, weren't. (Eg. Milotic, Blissey)

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I don`t like a lot of gen 1 pokemon looking back >.> i mean look at Diglett, its a head......and thats the whole point.

In fact i`d say each gen is the same amount as hit and miss as the first.

Last edited:

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
1. Zard X is 10x better than Zard Y
2.Compared to Mewtwo, Cario is underrated.
3. Best Gens go like this:

4,3,5,6,1,2. Sinnoh was amazing to me, Unova was cool too.

4. I really, really don't understand why people hate Diggersby. It's supposed to ugly, and it is. So why do people dislike a Pokemon that's design fit it's meant design? I don't understand.

5. Zero was the best movie antagonist.

6. Gen 5 had the worst anime. Preferred all 4 before it.

7. Don't understand why people claim Origins is overrated. Hella lot better than the actual anime.

Will think of more stuff later

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
-Some Pokémon that should've been retconed to Fairy, weren't. (Eg. Milotic, Blissey)

I can't really comment on Milotic, but Blissey's lack of retcon probably has more to do with game balance than adhering to the already-vague concept of fairies.

Blissey is already one of the game's premier walls, and making it into a fairy would have given it resistances to many of the metagame's key offensive types and made it vulnerable only to the game's two weakest offensive types.

DADICE

I like American Dad
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 1, 2014
I can't help but say that I'm incredibly fond of Poison types. Sure, they were somewhat
overabundant in Gen 1, and have been the base of some of the worst Pokemon designs
in history, but it doesn't change the fact that I will always use one, no matter what.
They're rougher and much less "mystical" than other Pokemon like Ninetails, which I
personally despise.

Back