• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
Sorry if this is in violation, but it seems that my map was left out because of a bad link which rendered the image to be broken (for which I apologize), so here's a little bump to get my map back up for grabs. I included the original review as well in case proof of my having rating is needed.
Well let's see, you made the path too wide and inconsistent in size, and it appears you have used the same grass tile again and again. But other than that, it's a pretty solid map.

Ok, here goes.

Map Name: Kernite Town
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: The final version of the starter town in my hack. I know I can improve it but I'm not sure how. That's why I'm posting it here.
Credits: Zein, WesleyFG
Spoiler:
This is a very nice map. The variation of trees feels good and not too random, and the house placement is very organized. The paths on the left and right side could probably be connected to the paths leading out of the town, though it's not really necessary and they look fine as it.

However, the main thing that catches my eye in a bad way are the 'bumps' of path near the lab. They would look better if they didn't return to their original 'trajectory', if you will, after a few tiles. Either make them completely straight, or lengthen the deviation for a few more tiles.

Final Rating: 9/10
Summary for Improvement: Fix the paths by the lab and this map is good by me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My map:
Name: No name route
ROM: Fire Red
Hack: N/A
Credits: ROM Base Tiles by Synyster Zeikku, Alistair, Peyi, Kyledove, and TB Pro
Comments: Another route leading out of the previously posted starter town.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2013
Map Name: Mineral Town
Comments: My first attempt at a map, using no custom tiles. It would be a starter town, though I know it is large. The blue roofed house is the Professors. The ranch behind the lab won't be accessible until you beat the elite four; I'm deciding upon whether or not to make some wild pokemon there or not.

Edit: I discovered tile errors on the path by the upper left house

Last edited:
Years
Comments: My first attempt at a map, using no custom tiles. It would be a starter town, though I know it is large. The blue roofed house is the Professors. The ranch behind the lab won't be accessible until you beat the elite four; I'm deciding upon whether or not to make some wild pokemon there or not.

This is a very solid and nice map. Overall, I'd give it a 8.5/10. Things you might be able to improve upon, in my opinion, are, first and foremost, the use of flowers. They are everywhere and too concentrated, especially above the middle house with the blue roof. Also, there seems to be a lot of grass. Try organizing the trees and adding more of them to fill some of that empty space. My final piece of advice would be to put in more styles of grass. They are all that one tile and some variety or replacement with dirt would be helpful. I really liked your mountain mapping. The rocks and cliffs have a very natural feel to them. Also, I like that the town is spread out, instead of the cluster of buildings so often seen in the starter maps.

Now to my map.
Name: Route 12
ROM Base: Fire Red
Warning: Large map
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today

What I liked is the structure of the town, it's amazing. Ground wall structure and flower placement are good too, but you need to improve the tree & grass placement. The trees (mostly the ones in the bottom, and I'm guessing you're following that style in the entire hack/all of your maps) seem random which is very distracting to the eye and gameplay. The grass in the upper right is kinda random as well. Nintendo's original formula suggests grass in patches, and no grass in towns.
It seems like you tried to make something natural; well you only failed the trees, so I'm gonna give you a 8/10
Also try fixing the path tile error in the upper left.

This is a very solid and nice map. Overall, I'd give it a 8.5/10. Things you might be able to improve upon, in my opinion, are, first and foremost, the use of flowers. They are everywhere and too concentrated, especially above the middle house with the blue roof. Also, there seems to be a lot of grass. Try organizing the trees and adding more of them to fill some of that empty space. My final piece of advice would be to put in more styles of grass. They are all that one tile and some variety or replacement with dirt would be helpful. I really liked your mountain mapping. The rocks and cliffs have a very natural feel to them. Also, I like that the town is spread out, instead of the cluster of buildings so often seen in the starter maps.

Now to my map.
Name: Route 12
ROM Base: Fire Red
Warning: Large map
Spoiler:

I get the feeling you're leaving too much space with filler tiles like flowers or grass in random places. I don't think grass should be used to fill space, just make some average-sized patches of grass - too much grass in random places can be annoying.
Otherwise, I like your Nintendo-ish style, the mountains & the water.
7/10

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

This is, without a doubt, the best "first map" I have ever seen. There are some things that should be improved, but you've got the general idea right. Good job.
Now, to the rating itself. First and foremost, there are way too many flowers. Flowers look good in small groups, not inserted randomly across the entire map. The southwest house's sign is blocked by the wood fence, so it can't be read. Grass in towns is bad. And, in the southeast part, those mountain tiles aren't really meant to be walked on.
Overall: 7/10. Good, but it could be better.

-------------------

My Map
Map Name: Moon Village
Map Game: Pokémon ShadowStone
Credits: Peyi, Christos
Comments: Starter town. This is the third or fourth time I've posted this map, though every time it looked completely different.
Spoiler:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
X80relianthope:
Spoiler:

Wingman11:
Spoiler:

HackDeoxys:
Spoiler:

Now, for my map.
Map name: Test Route
Game: Fire Red
Credits: Masterofpuppets for his base, and whoever the tiles came from
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: It's my first map in a while and I wanted to get used to mapping like this for a project I had in mind that would involve a lot of space. So, be brutal, but not rude. My concern with this map is too much open space. But, I'm not sure. You tell me. Please and thanks. n_n

Megiddo-san

Barium - Summer '12 Return?
Years
Now, for my map.
Map name: Test Route
Credits: Masterofpuppets for his base, and whoever the tiles came from
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: It's my first map in a while and I wanted to get used to mapping like this for a project I had in mind that would involve a lot of space. So, be brutal, but not rude. My concern with this map is too much open space. But, I'm not sure. You tell me. Please and thanks. n_n

I'm not sure what practical purpose the lower-left portion of your map serves.
However, I like the placement of your trees and grass. You gave the player adequate room to move around, and the shape of everything is nice. My concern is that the water portion of your map is quite large. The player would need quite a few repels to cross it without encounter after encounter. I would recommend making your map a bit smaller, or find a way to increase the land mass in it. 7.5/10

My map:
Credits: Zeikku
A very large canyon.
Spoiler:

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
My Map:
Credits: Zeikku
A very large canyon.
Spoiler:

I must say I do like your map but there are some spot of just open area. These are mainly dead ends but you shouldn't just leave them bare. The top entrance to the cave is a bit odd to me mainly how it is jutting out of the ledge and looks completely out of place. The rightmost bridge looks like it is going to far and doesn't look right. The random patch of small trees look strangely out of place.
Other than that I really like the look of the map and the design I would give it a 7/10. (I have all the things I pointed out circled if you want a look)
Spoiler:

My Map:
Map Name: None at the moment
Map Game: Gold
Credits: Gamefreak
Comments: I just made this for fun and to try and build up my mapping skills for when I try and make a hack. Personally I like how it turned out but tell me how I can improve. So go ahead and rip it to shreds.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
My Map:
Map Name: None at the moment
Map Game: Gold
Comments: I just made this for fun and to try and build up my mapping skills for when I try and make a hack. Personally I like how it turned out but tell me how I can improve. So go ahead and rip it to shreds.
Spoiler:

While I do love all this Gold and Silver, this map just seems a little on the bland side. There's a little too much open space (and grass as well) for my taste. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on on this map, making it easily forgettable. I'm not a GS hacker though, and I'm not sure what options you have available, so I don't know what to do about that. Even adding a house somewhere along there would make this route more memorable.

Also, the left side looks like it might connect to the next map kinda weird, unless there were trees blocking off that grass patch on the next map itself.

I'd probably give it a 6/10.

And here's my map

Map: Azure City (crappy name, I know, still working on that)
Rom: Firered
Hack: again, my unreleased project (shhhh... secret)
Tile Credits: 874521, wesleyfg, CNickC, turtwig-2, chimcharsfireworkd, myself

Spoiler:

Last edited:

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
While I do love all this Gold and Silver, this map just seems a little on the bland side. There's a little too much open space (and grass as well) for my taste. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on on this map, making it easily forgettable. I'm not a GS hacker though, and I'm not sure what options you have available, so I don't know what to do about that. Even adding a house somewhere along there would make this route more memorable.

Also, the left side looks like it might connect to the next map kinda weird, unless there were trees blocking off that grass patch on the next map itself.

I'd probably give it a 6/10.

And here's my map

Spoiler:

I can't believe that no 1 rated this map yet.

Well I don't usually rate but this is injustice. This is BEAUTIFUL.

a) Tiles: I love the tiles and the lighthouse especially.
b) Placement: All the houses are placed naturally and I like the fact that you placed extra houses even if they dont have doors at least it really gives the sense of a inhabitable area.
c) Playability: This seems like a real nice town to explore. I think the player won't have any problems to navigate here.
d) Tree placement is natural too, well done.
e) I really do like that lighthouse but i think i mentioned that.

really there's nothing else u can improve. if it were me MAYBE 1 or 2 more flowers here and there wud be just nice.

job well done. I'm actually eager to see other maps that you are willing to share. you seem to be a natural talent mapper. Well done again.

Rating : I don't rate but this is a terrific map.

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
And here's my map

Spoiler:

I must say the first time I saw this map it took my breath away because it looks just amazing. I can't find anything bad to say about it. I completely agree with Masterquestmq and everything he has said because this is a beautiful map. I don't think I can give it a rating out of 10 because it is just one of those thing that are so wonderful that you cant use numbers to describe them.

My Map
Rom: Gold
Name: None yet
Credit: Gamefreak
Coments: I went back and added to the map to try and make it more interesting and I must say I am having fun working with goldmap more than advacemap

Spoiler:

Years
I must say the first time I saw this map it took my breath away because it looks just amazing. I can't find anything bad to say about it. I completely agree with Masterquestmq and everything he has said because this is a beautiful map. I don't think I can give it a rating out of 10 because it is just one of those thing that are so wonderful that you cant use numbers to describe them.

My Map
Coments: I went back and added to the map to try and make it more interesting and I must say I am having fun working with goldmap more than advacemap

Spoiler:
Its been awhile since I've seen a G/S/C map. Its somewhat refreshing. I like the map for the most part. It seems like a well-made route for a hack. The functionality is definitely present, what with the ledges and grass. The one complaint I'd have with this map are the excessive quantities of grass. The region to the top right, especially, is choc full of it. Overall, I would give this map a 8/10.

ruup20

Gonna splash everybody!
Years

My Map

Spoiler:

I don't know much about gold mapping, but I like this. I has a bit too much grass and I don't really like the random mountains; It doesn't really fit. But it's a very intresting map.
Suggestions: Delete some grass.
Rating: 8.4/10
-------------------------------------------------------
My map:
Name: -No name-
Credit: BoomxBig and chimcharsfireworkd.
Comments: My first city.
Map:

droomph

weeb
Years
My map:
Map:
Spoiler:

Yeah...it does look a little too "real"...but maybe that's just how you roll. What can I say.

Absolutely gorgeous, and the "driveway" things are so...peculiar. In a good way.

I love how you put a garden and pool in one of the houses...adds a nice "touch". Oh and nice way to put grass into a town! It's awesome.

Although one problem. There's one house where the door faces a fence. Looks nice, but how are you supposed to get in? Just a little thought.

Also, nice shadows. Although it's a little TOO real.

Suggestions: Fix the door if you must, and probably change something about weird atmosphere. Otherwise, though, it's perfect.

Rating: 9.9/10 Pretty, though something feels wrong - thoroughly perfect otherwise (Not a fan of numbers either)

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
My map:
Map:

I like your map :D It's nice that you added some space around some of the houses.Acctually the only thing I don't like is the grass or what ever are theese green thingies around the road.And I like the containers :D They fill out the map.

Rating:9/10

My map
Name: Route 3
Credits: LU-HO, Gamefreak, Nintendo

Spoiler:

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
My map
Name: Route 3
Credits: LU-HO, Gamefreak, Nintendo

Spoiler:

Your map is a very solid route. It's functional and clearly set up. The only thing that bothers me it where the water right on the ledge. It just doesn't look right to me but other than that I have no complaints with it. I'd give it a 9/10.

My Map:
Name: Sill none yet
Comments: I removed some grass because that seemed to be a common complaint. I don't know if the new house made it any better but I like how it looks.
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Your map is a very solid route. It's functional and clearly set up. The only thing that bothers me it where the water right on the ledge. It just doesn't look right to me but other than that I have no complaints with it. I'd give it a 9/10.

My Map:
Name: Sill none yet
Comments: I removed some grass because that seemed to be a common complaint. I don't know if the new house made it any better but I like how it looks.
Spoiler:

Well i like the layout of this map honestly its great i dont exactly like your mountain placement it looks awkward with this tiny mountain in the middle of nowhere ya know but overall i like this map

Map route 1
credits red-ex zein
Map
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Map route 1
credits red-ex zein
Map
Spoiler:

I like the layout of this map, especially if its an early game route. Not too confusing, not too challenging to get through. I like how there's also a bit of diversity in the trees. 1 thing though, I don't really like palletes like this. Seems kinda washed out. But this isn't the place for that, so that wont affect the maps score any.

I found a few errors though. Towards the bottom of the route, theres a one tile pathway in the second patch of grass by the small tree. Thats a big no-no. Also, just to the right, theres tiles for the top of a tree, but theres no bottom. It might just be me, but the grass seems a lot thicker at the bottom than at the top as well.

Id give this a 8/10.

Here's my map:

Map: Iwayama City (EE-wah-YAH-Mah)
ROM: Firered
Hack: My secret project again
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
I like the layout of this map, especially if its an early game route. Not too confusing, not too challenging to get through. I like how there's also a bit of diversity in the trees. 1 thing though, I don't really like palletes like this. Seems kinda washed out. But this isn't the place for that, so that wont affect the maps score any.

I found a few errors though. Towards the bottom of the route, theres a one tile pathway in the second patch of grass by the small tree. Thats a big no-no. Also, just to the right, theres tiles for the top of a tree, but theres no bottom. It might just be me, but the grass seems a lot thicker at the bottom than at the top as well.

Id give this a 8/10.

Here's my map:

Spoiler:

I like your maps they have great shape and all the tiles seem to fit great aswell. My only issue would be the border block can be done but may be an issue. its all looking good so

9/10 :)

Map: Town 1
Hack: You dont know my hack :P
Comments: credits red-ex wesly fg and zein, I also changed the pallets it appears alot less dull now :)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Map: Town 1
Hack: You dont know my hack :P
Comments: credits red-ex wesly fg and zein, I also changed the pallets it appears alot less dull now :)
Spoiler:
Beautiful, except for the fence on the bottom left; it's too snakey.
And while you're at it, connect the two thin-grass patches, and fill in the patch of inaccessible grass on the top right-hand corner; it's a shame to leave it blank!

Possibly you could also make a driveway-type thing for the houses, but that's just a suggestion.

And wow, I love the ponds! Nice touch with the algae (lilypads?). Would be a nice little touch if you could make the algae animate to bounce around when you surf over it.

Rating: 9.8/10 Something's just a little off about this map. But it's wonderful!

Spoiler:
Firstly: 岩山 means "rocky mountain". Nice touch.
Secondly: I suggest you include a couple of completely snow-covered trees on top just so you have the feeling of "going downhill".
Thirdly: The "Town Motto" sign should be below the entrance arch, not in the middle of the intersection. (Would YOU place a sign in the middle of Main Street? Didn't think so.)
Lastly: Awesome.

Rating: 9.98/10 It should take you a total of ten seconds to fix everything wrong with this map.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back