• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you :

One of my personal fav. Johto Pokemon, AMPHAROS !

G: Cute Fluffy Plushie ! =D

S: Awwww... You want me to hug you ? :)

C: This is even cuter than before (Gold animation)

RSFRLG : You lost your cuteness (and your balance too !) :(

E: This destroyed you, darling ! WTF shining lights ?
DPPt : Cute pose ! :x But still no fluffy round and big eyes ! :-X

HGSS : Weir looking pose... never seen an Ampharos like this one.

Conclusion : Ampharos lost its cuteness over the years. DPPt promised something which HGSS ruined (wtf 2 :weird looking feet). I'm hoping for a better future ! :)

I actually kind of like the way it turned out. Then again I'm not good with cuteness o.o

Years
I'm going to do more comparisons~ They are so fun. xD

Sandslash!
Spoiler:

Rhyhorn!
Spoiler:

Cubone
Spoiler:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I randomly decided to analyse Mr. Mime's sprite, and how it has changed. :P

122.png
The Green sprite... wait, is it hiding? :P
122.png
The Red/Blue sprite. Mr. Mime looks quite fat here. It's eyes look really... wierd too. :O
122.png
The Yellow sprite. It looks really... discoloured and bad. Plus, is it trying to give me a high-five, or "touch" me. ;_;

122.png
The Gold Spri... face me when I'm talking to you! >_< Yeah, it looks pretty average and MS Paint-like. :\
122.png
The Silver Sprite looks very... stupid and all i can say is derp. :P

122.gif
The Crystal sprite... or the Gold sprite animated. xD It's making a wall. Finally, it's doing something! :D

122.png
The Ruby/Sapphire sprite. Also, no more animations. ;_; Yeah, it's pose is pretty generic, it's shoes look dodgy and so does its right hand. :\
122.png
The FireRed/LeafGreen sprites. To me, it looks like the Ruby sprite flipped with a few differences. :\ Pretty poor, imo. At least they fixed the colours...
122.gif
Mr. mime can do Teeter Dance??? :\ Pretty poor animation. It's... dancing... At least it's not randomly flashing/growling like most of the other sprites. :\

122.png
Diamond/Pearl's Mr. mime sprite. For Mr. mime, the wierd mime Pokemon, it looks quite cute with its happy smile. I actually really like this sprite! :D
122.png
HG/SS sprite. It looks worse than Diamond/Pearls imo. It's not smiling anymore. ;_; Yeah, not as good as D/P. :\

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Hm... ESPEON TAIMZ

Spoiler:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
@Koratah Lol, the RB Cubone sprite has always made me think of a cow. I have to look to see the Cubone there X3

Man, what happened to Ninetales? It used to seem so epic and elegant, but in recent games it's kind of generic and 'meh' looking. It must be the poses. HGSS is getting somewhere except the face is kind of boxy. Couple fewer pixels on the chin would have been a bit better.

Spoiler:

Also, anyone else think it's kind of strange that all the 'animations' after Crystal seem like they've had way too much coffee? That or Hoenn and Sinnoh must suffer a lot of earthquakes. It seems they rely less on actual animating and more on shaking/rotating/transforming and use only like 2 actual 'frames'. Kinda cheating if you ask me. :/

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
HGSS Rhyhorn doesn't even look like Rhyhorn. :( And that has to be the most color problems I've seen through the years. That poor thing is a different color every generation, isn't it?

I agree on the Emerald and DP animations. Platinum and HGSS did better than that, though. Growing in size and flickering around doesn't count as an animation for me. Also, with those Ninetales sprites, as the years went on, it just looks like they made the tails longer, but didn't have any room for them and crammed them in. So yeah, it's not looking as elegant as it used to.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Interesting, I wanna try some:
Spoiler:

Glameow:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
So, Mew went from this:
Spr_1g_151.png
(I mean, what is that?)

To this:
Spr_4h_151.png

Big improvement.

Years
I agree on mew, thats a big improvement. :/

One of the Best, from RBY to HGSS:

Spr_1b_059.png

original R/B, one of the best looking ones in my opinion

Spr_2s_059.png

Silver sprite, even better

Spr_3r_059.png

FR/LG, A step back i think, not much personallity

Spr_4d_059.png

DPPT, still not a sprite befiting an awesome poke. :/ dumb pose

Spr_4h_059.png

Sprite Perfection.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I noticed Generation 3 reused Generation 2 back sprites.
Example:
Spr_b_g2_001.png

Spr_b_g3_001.png

They were only recolored to look better, but still the same sprites. XD

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
Years
Some of the older sprites have really good lineart, just horrific colouring in. It always made me smile to see a new sprite that is basically a recoloured old one, with a few tiny tweaks.

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
Years
ooh, my turn!
im gonna do ledian!
Spoiler:

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
AH, I so miss this place...
Ledian... I find him cute in his HGSS pose the most. Dunno. The Crystal one is actually worse than his Emerald animation, which quite surprises me. ~_~

Ayselipera

Awhh it looks like Ledian has always been adorable. I think Gold's sprite is possibly the best for it. It may be a little awkward, but the awkwardness actually makes it a little more unique then the rest.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
Years
DRUMROLL PLEASE
Karp
Spoiler:

Now THATS a Pokemon to critique

I LOVE impossibles missions:
Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's one of those rare cases where the Green sprite is actually better than the RBY one...haha. And the Yellow sprite is the worst. It's like "duuuurrrr."

And because I haven't posted one in a while:

RS/FRLG:
Spr_3r_359.png

The silhouette used to scare me when I saw it popping up in battle. But this is a good pose for it being the first time we see this Pokemon.

Emerald:
Spr_3e_359.gif

Not the best Emerald animation, but not a horrible one either. It's decent.

Adv gen:
Spr_b_g3_359.png

Cute and ready to kick ass.

DP:
Spr_4d_359.png

It's paw looks a little awkward. :c But it's okay.

Platinum/HGSS:
Spr_4p_359.png

It's legs look...so...awkward...no, no, no.

Gen IV:
Spr_b_g4_359.png

Beautiful pose.

Overall, Absol hasn't been done much justice with its sprites. They can do better.

Last edited:

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
Years
RS/FRLG:
Spr_3r_359.png

The silhouette used to scare me when I saw it popping up in battle. But this is a good pose for it being the first time we see this Pokemon.

This reminded me a fun fact: now absol is one of my favourites but, in R/S times I miserunderstood its sprite: I tought his face was the white "Yang" cape on his head...when I saw its art I felt sooooo idiot:P...

UmbreonUniverse

ブラッキー
Years
greenspr029.png
This might be the cutest thing ever (nido female).

greenspr040.png
This is the opposite.

Green sprites ftw~

Wow the second one looks like it is retarded xD

greenspr133.png
Omg. It's chewing its fur. RABIES RABIES RABIES!
greenspr096.png
It's missing the DJ table.
greenspr105.png
to
dpmfa105.png
It's lost some weight!

greenspr107.png
Wheres its face?

Red/Blue Exxegcute's got too many Eggs...

Slowbro doesnt have the Shell on his Back. FAILURE

Fun Fact: Being fat/chubby is sexy in japan!

Last edited:
Back