• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Maybe this isn't what the question was asking, but couldn't he just give the appropriate badge first? That is, simply give, say, the volcano badge (or whatever that's been turned into) first instead of seventh?
The only thing then would be where the badge appears in the trainer profile.
OK, thanks, I understood it well. I will be recruiting new people to my hack (for ASM, scripting, etc...) but that's a long way...

Fortevn

Yandere
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2018
Various questions... can I hard hack?

Hello, I'm a new guy here and just started hacking.(using Fire Red (U))

Because my hack will literally change everything, I encountered a lot of problem which drove me mad. Of course I've been searching around for tools and solutions, but since most of the tools' author has been gone, I had no choice but to ask here... If my questions have already been answered but buried somewhere google and forum search couldn't reach, please give links.

Thank you very much.

So, the first problem is the names. I'm trying to rename everything into Cap-lower case (Ex: BULBASAUR to Bulbasaur, POTION to Potion, MISTY to Misty,...). The Item Manager and YAPE could do it but it then messes up the description. Not to mention sometimes the name itself turns into something like M s e B l. When re-load the rom in the tools, the names have hex value in there.

Next, I'd like to modify the pokedex. However despite I've replaced everything to new "pokemon", Sebbe's tool keeps the one names, thus I don't know what's what. Also, Because I only add ~200, there are 100 old Pokemon remain. Can I get rid of them like the 25 empty slots? Because of course, the new "pokemon" will be coming soon.

Next is the Ability. I want to change them too, first is rename to lower case, second is to see if I can edit and make new ones.

The most important change in my hack: The Types. I've tried to find if I can implement the Physic-Spec split like the DS games, some JPese hackers did it, but they either don't share or their tutorial can't be understood by me. Therefore I've use a very roundabout way:
9 types: Fire-Water-Wood-Metal-Earth, Wind-Thunder, Yin-Yang. Except from Yin (Spec) and Yang (Physic), the other 7 have their counterparts, thus make them 14 types. 16 types in total.

The problem is, I can't change their names. I figured I only need to import the pictures so the players can see it's Fire (Spec) even if it's actually "Normal". However, working the strength/weakness with the original names drives me insane. Also, FinalZero's Tool has limited slot, they're enough for the original chart, but not for my chart. You see, every type has "relation" to others, thus make the chart almost no "x1 effective".

They are my current problems. I think the best way to solve them is to modify the source itself. Like, if I use Advance Mart, I can only change the item and its price. But if I open the script of the Shopkeeper, I can add new items easily.

So, if you know how to solve these problems or how to get into their "codes" (especially moves, ability and types), do share, I'd be felicitous. Again, thank you very much.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
So, the first problem is the names. I'm trying to rename everything into Cap-lower case
There is a patch somewhere on the forums that does that. You could try searching for "lowercase patch" or "caps patch". You'd want to apply it before you do your edits.

The most important change in my hack: The Types. I've tried to find if I can implement the Physic-Spec split like the DS games, some JPese hackers did it, but they either don't share or their tutorial can't be understood by me.
To the best of my understanding, it involves some difficult ASM hacking. Some people in the Research and Development section are working on it.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
As per usual, I am ignored -_-

How do you move the flight spots, and where the town map thinks a place is e.g if i wanted the map to think pallet was in the seafoam islands and i wanted to fly there. And how do you edit map names?

Years
Hey guys, I was using unLZ to try to edit Wallace into Gary, I've managed to change the name, overworld sprite, pokemon, the only thing I've been having trouble with is changing the in-battle sprite, I changed the sprite to a Gary sprite, checked off "Export image" and "Export palette" Now in unLZ his palette looks perfectly fine, but all the other trainers in unLZ's palette is wrong and they all looked messed, also in the game itself the Gary sprite is messed up and it oddly messed up one other sprite, and literally only 1 other one, can someone help me please?

slowbro42

The World's Worst Hacker
Years
I have a bit of an issue with PKSV. It used to show the drop-down menu when I was typing (which was really helpful); now after my computer came back from the shop, with a new hard drive, PKSV doesn't have that drop-down menu. I tried re-downloading PKSV, but to no avail. I hope the solution isn't to obvious because I feel I have searched the program for settings and found nothing. Please help.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
As per usual, I am ignored -_-

How do you move the flight spots, and where the town map thinks a place is e.g if i wanted the map to think pallet was in the seafoam islands and i wanted to fly there. And how do you edit map names?
For a GBA game? You'd need to use an old version of AdvanceMap, like 1.92 -- but note that doing so will erase your settings for the new version!

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2011
Has anyone ever done a complete balance fix to the original pair of games? I may be new but I didn't see it in the list: showthread.php?t=253946

edit: bah can't link because I'm new (even though I passed 3 capta and have a gmail...)

Fortevn

Yandere
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2018
So, to summarise my questions:

Can I modify the rom codes (in XSE) for these:

1. Pokedex: Names, Order, get rid of some pokemon totally
2. Types: Names, strength/weakness
3. Abilities: Names, effect
4. Moves: Names, effect

Thank you.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
So, to summarise my questions:

Can I modify the rom codes (in XSE) for these:

1. Pokedex: Names, Order, get rid of some pokemon totally
2. Types: Names, strength/weakness
3. Abilities: Names, effect
4. Moves: Names, effect

Thank you.
I don't think any of those can be edited with XSE in any way, shape, or form. XSE only does scripts (and technically string editing).

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Is there any way to make certain pokemon banned in battle tower? (pokemon ruby)
I want to make dialga instead of remoraid but I think dialga won't be banned then...

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
I might as well throw this out here. I'm trying to find out how to change a few texts in FR:

• "Old man" in the "old man that catches a weedle" special
  • "Bill" in "Bill's PC"
  • The text where Oak teaches you about battling in your first rival battle (trainerbattle 0x9)
I assume there's byte editing involved in hex. If so, could anyone share the offsets? Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
"Bill" in "Bill's PC"
These aren't all the offsets you'll need; the multichoice used by special 0x106 (to select what you wish to do with a PC) will also need to be modified.

Also, if you lengthen anything, then you may have to repoint these. In that case, you'll need to edit the PC script (0x081A6955) as well as pretty much every default script that uses the "givepokemon" command.

0x081A5CF1
[buffer2] was transferred to\nSomeone's PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D31
[buffer2] was transferred to\nBILL'S PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D6E
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nSomeone's PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5DB1
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nBILL'S PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A50A7
Accessed Someone's PC.

0x081A50EF
Accessed BILL's PC.

Also, just as a bit of trivia, flag 0x834 determines whether or not "Someone" or "Bill" is used (0 = Someone, 1 = Bill).

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
Years
Unfortunately after following four separate world map editing tutorials I am yet to get a working one.. THerefore I am curious to whether A) Someone would perhaps help me make one? (And be credited of course) or B) Do you think it's cheap to just blackout the map and have flying options only in the form of red dots? WIth no map at all.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
These aren't all the offsets you'll need; the multichoice used by special 0x106 (to select what you wish to do with a PC) will also need to be modified.
I suppose so, though I haven't edited a multichoice before D:

Also, if you lengthen anything, then you may have to repoint these. In that case, you'll need to edit the PC script (0x081A6955) as well as pretty much every default script that uses the "givepokemon" command.
I'm aware of that, I won't lengthen anything, I was talking about the same number of characters, just...different ones.

0x081A5CF1
[buffer2] was transferred to\nSomeone's PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D31
[buffer2] was transferred to\nBILL'S PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D6E
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nSomeone's PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5DB1
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nBILL'S PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A50A7
Accessed Someone's PC.

0x081A50EF
Accessed BILL's PC.
Thanks a lot. D'you know any offsets about the other two things I mentioned?

Also, just as a bit of trivia, flag 0x834 determines whether or not "Someone" or "Bill" is used (0 = Someone, 1 = Bill).
Yah, I saw what you did there at the R&D thread. Thanks again :3

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I might as well throw this out here. I'm trying to find out how to change a few texts in FR:

• "Old man" in the "old man that catches a weedle" special
  • "Bill" in "Bill's PC"
  • The text where Oak teaches you about battling in your first rival battle (trainerbattle 0x9)
I assume there's byte editing involved in hex. If so, could anyone share the offsets? Thanks in advance.

"What will the old man do?" is at 0x3fe6fa and "The old man used" is at 0x3fd65c.

Oak's battle tutorial texts start at 0x3fdae2. If you go to that address in a hex editor with a table file loaded, you'll see all of them (not just the first one). Reverse the addresses and do a hex search on them to find the pointers (I found a couple around 0xe84XX) if you need to repoint.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
"What will the old man do?" is at 0x3fe6fa and "The old man used" is at 0x3fd65c.

Oak's battle tutorial texts start at 0x3fdae2. If you go to that address in a hex editor with a table file loaded, you'll see all of them (not just the first one). Reverse the addresses and do a hex search on them to find the pointers (I found a couple around 0xe84XX) if you need to repoint.
Fantastic, colcolstyles, thanks a bunch!

...wait. Goldfinger doesn't have a t.viewer. Oh well...

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Do you think it's cheap to just blackout the map and have flying options only in the form of red dots? WIth no map at all.
Yes.

On the other hand, if it were possible to black out the map at first and reveal explored areas (like fog of war in an RTS), then that'd be super uncheap. It'd be epic. But that'd take heavy ASM.

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
Years
Yes.

On the other hand, if it were possible to black out the map at first and reveal explored areas (like fog of war in an RTS), then that'd be super uncheap. It'd be epic. But that'd take heavy ASM.

My problem is all the tutorials explain how to enter your map and your templates and tiles into the game but none explain -how- to make them.. Could someone perhaps recommend a guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back