• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shining Opal [FULL GAME RELEASED]

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
''Urrrgh. I knew I forgot something.
My trainer/wild Pokémon/stats guy was supposed to fix all of this, but I completely forgot to hand the ROM over to him. I'll give it to him in a bit, and then upload the new version soon. Expect for your complaints to be addressed shortly!''

Well that explains alot haha, well hope he fixes it soon, it was a good game. :)

Ettadara

Fanfiction Writer
Years
Help?

I want to play this, but when I try and patch it to the ROM, A.ptch says it's not a valid file. What am I doing wrong?

*EDIT* Scratch that - just tried it on an new ROM, worked. :)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Just played the new release :D (well not new now it's out for a while)
I enjoyed it. But i preferred the FR/LG tiles to these ones.

Ettadara

Fanfiction Writer
Years
Huh?

Alright - I've got a problem.

So I'm in Vorril Forest, training my team:
-Akakios (Mikachu) lv24
- Icarus (Nidorino) lv21
- Zero (Shiny Marill) lv16
- Novabell (Ledyba) lv20

But, I'm training because I want Nova, my Ledyba, to evolve.
My problem is that Ledyba evolves at level 18. Each time I level Nova up, the animation starts, then stops practically the moment Nova's sprite turns white. The text I get after this is '...?'
I've tryed to evolve him three times (is why he's level 20) and I've received this failed evolution three times - is this due to something you're doing in the coding of the game, or a glitch?

I wanna point out that Icarus (my Nidorino) evolved fine, so if it's a script glitch, it's like to be within Ledyba itself.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2022

-Akakios (Mikachu) lv24
- Icarus (Nidorino) lv21
- Novabell (Ledyba) lv20

My problem is that Ledyba evolves at level 18. Each time I level Nova up, the animation starts, then stops practically the moment Nova's sprite turns white. The text I get after this is '...?'
I've tryed to evolve him three times (is why he's level 20) and I've received this failed evolution three times - is this due to something you're doing in the coding of the game, or a glitch?

I wanna point out that Icarus (my Nidorino) evolved fine, so if it's a script glitch, it's like to be within Ledyba itself.

To me (and I'm no expert) it sounds like a problem caused by not having a National Pokedex, it will cause and poke that isn't in the Fire Red dex to not evolve. But like I said I'm no expert and I haven't started this hack yet, I was just about to hence why I'm checking the thread.

axelrulezyeah

Spriter
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
An old ally appears

Hey, good to see that the hack is going nicely, and that you're still using some of my sprites( at least one for sure). It would be cool if you had any other things that need to be done, spriting wise that is, so just let me know if you do.

blase005

PKMN Yellow Lightning Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
I really like this hack. I recently caught a Nidoran (M) LVL 17 and im gonna evolve it when i finished typing here. The graphics are great, the towns are nice, the wild pokemon you get in the routes... some are nice and some are quite weird (i caught a Pineco without using headbutt on a tree?) but still quite awesome. Im really looking forward to this hack and once i find out the problem with my recorder i will Let's Play it! Keep up the awesome work! Because you ARE awesome Diego!

Opalescent

Ninja Mapper
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2012
I've been giving this hack a go and I'm really enjoying it. I love the fakemon, so much so that I use them exclusively! The first gym was easy until I reached the gym leader, who was surprisingly strong!

You may want to update the main page, the game looks much better in the version I played!

My one complaint is the poor quality of some of the sprites but thats a tiny quibble. Keep making this, please!

I've been giving this hack a go and I'm really enjoying it. I love the fakemon, so much so that I use them exclusively! The first gym was easy until I reached the gym leader, who was surprisingly strong!

You may want to update the main page, the game looks much better in the version I played!

My one complaint is the poor quality of some of the sprites but thats a tiny quibble. Keep making this, please!

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Ughh, sorry for the late replies, everyone. Been busy with life.
I want to play this, but when I try and patch it to the ROM, A.ptch says it's not a valid file. What am I doing wrong?

*EDIT* Scratch that - just tried it on an new ROM, worked. :)
All right, nice to see you were able to play!
Just played the new release :D (well not new now it's out for a while)
I enjoyed it. But i preferred the FR/LG tiles to these ones.
Everyone has their own preferences, and yes, the FR/LG tiles are good too. This hack has already gone too far with this tileset, though, so I'm not going to change it.

-Akakios (Mikachu) lv24
- Icarus (Nidorino) lv21
- Novabell (Ledyba) lv20

To me (and I'm no expert) it sounds like a problem caused by not having a National Pokedex, it will cause and poke that isn't in the Fire Red dex to not evolve. But like I said I'm no expert and I haven't started this hack yet, I was just about to hence why I'm checking the thread.
Yeah, it's something I forgot to include... Once I also fix the below error and reupload the new Shining Opal, it should be fixed.
''Urrrgh. I knew I forgot something.
My trainer/wild Pokémon/stats guy was supposed to fix all of this, but I completely forgot to hand the ROM over to him. I'll give it to him in a bit, and then upload the new version soon. Expect for your complaints to be addressed shortly!''

Well that explains alot haha, well hope he fixes it soon, it was a good game. :)
Well, turns out that it's summer now, and he decided to be all vague and told me to do it myself... I'll try to get it done sometime before the end of summer, possibly on my trip to PA. (riding alone on an airplane, holy crap!)
Hey, good to see that the hack is going nicely, and that you're still using some of my sprites( at least one for sure). It would be cool if you had any other things that need to be done, spriting wise that is, so just let me know if you do.
I forgot if I asked you for something, but I have a few things in mind for you.
I really like this hack. I recently caught a Nidoran (M) LVL 17 and im gonna evolve it when i finished typing here. The graphics are great, the towns are nice, the wild pokemon you get in the routes... some are nice and some are quite weird (i caught a Pineco without using headbutt on a tree?) but still quite awesome. Im really looking forward to this hack and once i find out the problem with my recorder i will Let's Play it! Keep up the awesome work! Because you ARE awesome Diego!
Thanks for the post. I'm glad you liked it!
Some things are still strange because I'm not putting in as much effort into this hack as I'd like, instead focusing my efforts on CrystalDust. I'll try to fix some things, but I can only fix what you guys tell me about.
I've been giving this hack a go and I'm really enjoying it. I love the fakemon, so much so that I use them exclusively! The first gym was easy until I reached the gym leader, who was surprisingly strong! Should I raise the levels of the trainers, or lower the levels of the gym leader?

You may want to update the main page, the game looks much better in the version I played! Yeah, it's on my long list of things to do for my website..

My one complaint is the poor quality of some of the sprites but thats a tiny quibble. Keep making this, please! They're still pretty decent compared to when I try spriting... Yech. And don't worry, I will finish this. Someday...
Responses above in bold.

All right, so I have a very important question to ask:
Should Mikachu's name be changed, and if so, to what?
The only reason Mikachu was chosen was because of other hacks having Pikamew and Mewkachu and whatnot, and I wanted to be (somewhat) original... But those hacks are dead now, so I might be willing to change the name if someone can make a good one.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I love the newer story and features! But there are two things I couldn't help but notice:

1: I like how Gary is the professor but professors go by their last name. It should be Prof. Oak, not Prof. Gary. There's nothing wrong with calling him by his first name, Gary, but formally, it should be Prof. Oak.

2: Mikachu's name makes sense, it's a Mew/Pikachu splice. But the name is man-made, so it shouldn't be able to say "Mika" or "Mikachu". Depending on your opinion, it can say "Mew", "Pikachu", both, or Pokemon noises that don't say it's name. Or maybe saying "Mikachu" was part of the splicing, I didn't make the story. I just thought I'd point that out.

Should Mikachu's name be changed, and if so, to what?
The only reason Mikachu was chosen was because of other hacks having Pikamew and Mewkachu and whatnot, and I wanted to be (somewhat) original... But those hacks are dead now, so I might be willing to change the name if someone can make a good one.

Good question. I thought Mikachu just sounded too...obvious. Maybe if it's more Mew than Pikachu, it can still be named Mew. A genetically altered Mew still named Mew. Or if it's perfectly equal, it can still be named Mikachu or something of the sort, Or maybe it's creator (I think it was Gary) can give it a completely unrelated name. Hard to choose but I'm used to Mikachu.

Sierraffinity

Years
Mikachu is a good name, I don't think it's necessary to change it tbh.
All right.
I love the newer story and features! But there are two things I couldn't help but notice:

1: I like how Gary is the professor but professors go by their last name. It should be Prof. Oak, not Prof. Gary. There's nothing wrong with calling him by his first name, Gary, but formally, it should be Prof. Oak. Well, I wanted to distinguish Gary from his grandfather, and calling him Prof. Gary Oak every single time was too lengthy..

2: Mikachu's name makes sense, it's a Mew/Pikachu splice. But the name is man-made, so it shouldn't be able to say "Mika" or "Mikachu". Depending on your opinion, it can say "Mew", "Pikachu", both, or Pokemon noises that don't say it's name. Or maybe saying "Mikachu" was part of the splicing, I didn't make the story. I just thought I'd point that out. Well, when the two Pokémon were spliced, EVERYTHING about them was as well.

Good question. I thought Mikachu just sounded too...obvious. Maybe if it's more Mew than Pikachu, it can still be named Mew. A genetically altered Mew still named Mew. Or if it's perfectly equal, it can still be named Mikachu or something of the sort, Or maybe it's creator (I think it was Gary) can give it a completely unrelated name. Hard to choose but I'm used to Mikachu. Well, because of my above comment, Gary decided to name it after what it said.
Responses above in bold.
Wait, can you battle the pokemon league in this version?
Nope, sorry.
Where does Beta 2 go upto?
The Beta 2 Redux goes up to the third gym.

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2017
I can't download it on your website, it just gives me a page full of random letters and symbols.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Instead of calling him Professor Gary Oak, just call him Professor Oak. First, distinguish the fact that he is Gary, not Samuel. You can also refer to him as just Gary, but letting the player know that he is formally Professor Oak. It's the most proper way.

Example:"I'm Professor Oak, but you can call me Gary."

Sierraffinity

Years
Instead of calling him Professor Gary Oak, just call him Professor Oak. First, distinguish the fact that he is Gary, not Samuel. You can also refer to him as just Gary, but letting the player know that he is formally Professor Oak. It's the most proper way.

Example:"I'm Professor Oak, but you can call me Gary."
That sounds good. Maybe I'll do that!

Dantethesaint7

Blastoise Boys President
Years
When i first got that Torchic i was like WTF i thought i got mikachu i could've at least gotten charmander, but then... well i wont say what happen its a spoiler but it happened lol

Back