• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon C# Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
I was indeed planning on adding a plugin system, it's not that hard depending on how many hooks I want, sorta like RPG Maker.

I'm actually not a fan of KyleDove's tiles. They don't have that feel that the real tiles have in Pokemon games.

Just use 'some tiles'. It doesn't matter what you use, because others will import their own tilesets once this is released.

I don't doubt your abilities seeming as it is a gift that not many of us are blessed with on this community, I think that we should all just stop attacking each other.
Although I think it's okay to take things and improve it (even if you didn't copy anything) because if it's an open source then by all means improve it (with credits to the original creator).

I hope this pulls through.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Just use 'some tiles'. It doesn't matter what you use, because others will import their own tilesets once this is released.

I don't doubt your abilities seeming as it is a gift that not many of us are blessed with on this community, I think that we should all just stop attacking each other.
Although I think it's okay to take things and improve it (even if you didn't copy anything) because if it's an open source then by all means improve it (with credits to the original creator).

I hope this pulls through.

I'm hoping to have some tiles and entities ready for those who do not want their own. I'm thinking probably HGSS tiles, I think they look quite nice.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Variety is good, as long as credit is given to the owners of the tiles. Although I would use BW tiles (Just my opinion).

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Does anyone know where I could find a good amount of HGSS tiles? I found some but it's lacking a bunch

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Updated the UI a bit to look more like AdvancedMap, the 3 other tabs have nothing in them yet

Spoiler:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Updated the UI a bit to look more like AdvancedMap, the 3 other tabs have nothing in them yet

Spoiler:

Interesting...

To add events, you could use a grid system like RMXP, a multidimensional array grid. as for setting and what not, I'm not entirely sure how you would implement that yet as I dont know your development process.

keep at it. I'm hoping you get pretty far in development.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Interesting...

To add events, you could use a grid system like RMXP, a multidimensional array grid. as for setting and what not, I'm not entirely sure how you would implement that yet as I dont know your development process.

keep at it. I'm hoping you get pretty far in development.

I already have an idea how I want events to be. I'm still debating whether or not I will have events like in RPG Maker (moreover, i'm not sure how I would program it...) or if i'll have them as LUA script. LUA is not hard to use.

If anyone has an idea how to programmatically design events like they have them in RPG Maker, feel free to PM me. I'm fairly sure there is a nice deal of abstraction involved behind. :P

edit:

Updated a couple of icons

2EHXJ.png

2EI5f.png

looks really nice like that

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I strongly recommend an eventing system like RMXP uses. Each event command is given a number, which runs a particular method (e.g. command_101 is the "Show Text" method). Each command can have a number of parameters (e.g. the only parameter for "Show Text" is a string containing the text itself).

Event commands are basically shortcuts for things you'd commonly want an event to do (speak, move around, make choices, etc.). They're more user-friendly than using LUA to do everything, and you can easily have a LUA event command as well.

Events themselves are a collection of variables, which contain things such as the event's name, graphic, trigger setting and so on, as well as the aforementioned list of event commands. I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to come up with an Event object class to store the required information. For starters, mimicking RMXP would be a good idea, although later on they could definitely be improved to increase flexibility and better suit Pokémon games.

In general, I do think RMXP is a good program to use in terms of how it arranges itself, and you'd do well to base your program on it (e.g. how events work, having a Database for defining things, etc.).

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I strongly recommend an eventing system like RMXP uses. Each event command is given a number, which runs a particular method (e.g. command_101 is the "Show Text" method). Each command can have a number of parameters (e.g. the only parameter for "Show Text" is a string containing the text itself).

Event commands are basically shortcuts for things you'd commonly want an event to do (speak, move around, make choices, etc.). They're more user-friendly than using LUA to do everything, and you can easily have a LUA event command as well.

Events themselves are a collection of variables, which contain things such as the event's name, graphic, trigger setting and so on, as well as the aforementioned list of event commands. I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to come up with an Event object class to store the required information. For starters, mimicking RMXP would be a good idea, although later on they could definitely be improved to increase flexibility and better suit Pokémon games.

In general, I do think RMXP is a good program to use in terms of how it arranges itself, and you'd do well to base your program on it (e.g. how events work, having a Database for defining things, etc.).

The thing is, I've already tried to implement something like those events for logic tiles.

2F7LH.png

2F7Mw.png

2F7NO.png

2F7Pk.png

2F7PI.png

2F7Qf.png

It worked well for a while until I started thinking of more features, it pretty much went downhill from there and I switched to a simple LUA interpreter. Perhaps LUA was more suited for this situation.
I may have an idea how to implement RPG maker-like events but I won't promise anything, or at least not for initial release.

KingCharizard

Years

This is really interesting, I was thinking of a object approach. Create each object instance at the array coordinates, each object will have properties/methods that have use similar to RMXP where u can create events that work like code.

I know nothing about lua, I don't know if its even a good choice to use it when C# is fairly easy for beginners to learn, and if this kit is made correctly beginners won't have to worry about learning the more advanced features of C# to make a game.

I also would like to note, that I will help with some ideas/coding and what not if you want. Like i said previously drop me a PM to discuss details.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
This is really interesting, I was thinking of a object approach. Create each object instance at the array coordinates, each object will have properties/methods that have use similar to RMXP where u can create events that work like code.

I know nothing about lua, I don't know if its even a good choice to use it when C# is fairly easy for beginners to learn, and if this kit is made correctly beginners won't have to worry about learning the more advanced features of C# to make a game.

I also would like to note, that I will help with some ideas/coding and what not if you want. Like i said previously drop me a PM to discuss details.

LUA is the most popular scripting language in games nowadays. Whenever you play online games, most commonly, npc scripts and stuff are most likely written in LUA. (Unless they decided to completely throw that out the window and hardcode npcs which is insane)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2015
I just can't believe how cheeky you are claiming to be the author of "your" engine code. I'm the Pokemon Dawn lead developer and your code is just an extended Version of my Engine, so just stop claiming you wrote most of the code...

A small mapeditor tool is nothing compared to the complete engine code, neither in complexity nor as a part of code for the whole project. I really don't mind if you use our code to develop your own engine or mapeditor, but if you do, you can't just claim to own the whole thing and I expect to get credited for what we've done the past 3 years.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I just can't believe how cheeky you are claiming to be the author of "your" engine code. I'm the Pokemon Dawn lead developer and your code is just an extended Version of my Engine, so just stop claiming you wrote most of the code...

I inspired myself alot from your code but i've written a good part of it yes. I know it really sounds like i've build upon your released source but you've got to trust me.

A small mapeditor tool is nothing compared to the complete engine code, neither in complexity nor as a part of code for the whole project. I really don't mind if you use our code to develop your own engine or mapeditor, but if you do, you can't just claim to own the whole thing and I expect to get credited for what we've done the past 3 years.

I already know that, the map editor is probably where i've recycled the most code out of the whole thing. The main engine I can code it with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingCharizard

Years

Doubt you're the creator of pokemon dawn, but posts like this and the continue of "harassment" of posts towards the OP are the reasons most ppl lose motivation. The code can't be copyrighted by you technically because you wrote a pokemon Engine, also it is open source meaning it can be used redistributed, etc.. he already said the engine was used to fuel his development. I don't know how many time he can repeat it or how he can be more clear.

I understand what its like to want credit for hard work, but while the code looks similar there is no way to tell it is yours. Unless its exactly identical. He could have used some functions like the original deciding the way chose was the best. When making something similar, two ppl can and probably will write identical code.

Leave it go. Its really starting to annoy me, and the mod of this forum already said drop it.

FYI: The reason I dont think your the Dawn creator, because that is excellent work and someone who can produce quality work like that wont come on here, make a post and demand credit. They wouldn't care their work speaks for its self.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Doubt you're the creator of pokemon dawn, but posts like this and the continue of "harassment" of posts towards the OP are the reasons most ppl lose motivation. The code can't be copyrighted by you technically because you wrote a pokemon Engine, also it is open source meaning it can be used redistributed, etc.. he already said the engine was used to fuel his development. I don't know how many time he can repeat it or how he can be more clear.

I understand what its like to want credit for hard work, but while the code looks similar there is no way to tell it is yours. Unless its exactly identical. He could have used some functions like the original deciding the way chose was the best. When making something similar, two ppl can and probably will write identical code.

Leave it go. Its really starting to annoy me, and the mod of this forum already said drop it.

FYI: The reason I dont think your the Dawn creator, because that is excellent work and someone who can produce quality work like that wont come on here, make a post and demand credit. They wouldn't care their work speaks for its self.

Krissel is in fact the programmer of Pokemon Dawn. :cheeky:

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2013
Well, I dont want to create any sort of harassment or insult here, but still, thats quite ridiculous. I have spent some time watching the developement of dawn by now, with all of its ups and downs. krissel indeed deserves credit for all the work he put into it. even if you have rewritten parts of the code, the main part still belongs to him, and should be published with his name attached to it. anything else would'nt be fair.
If I was him, I wouldnt drop it either, because its his work.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Well, I dont want to create any sort of harassment or insult here, but still, thats quite ridiculous. I have spent some time watching the developement of dawn by now, with all of its ups and downs. krissel indeed deserves credit for all the work he put into it. even if you have rewritten parts of the code, the main part still belongs to him, and should be published with his name attached to it. anything else would'nt be fair.
If I was him, I wouldnt drop it either, because its his work.

Maruno should really start handing out the infractions. I have already stated that the code in the engine is mine and not his apart from some utility classes and some bits of code I did not feel like redoing. I don't see how you can tell I built upon their engine from just seeing some pictures of the GUI of the map editor. If you don't want to believe me then do so, I really don't give a **** about what people think of me. Do people here not think with their head for a second?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Don't tell me what I should be doing.

Frankly, the only things you've shown are quite clearly taken from the Dawn engine without proper credit. If you're unwilling to release your source code to prove otherwise, then all we have to go on is material which portrays you as a thief.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Don't tell me what I should be doing.

Frankly, the only things you've shown are quite clearly taken from the Dawn engine without proper credit. If you're unwilling to release your source code to prove otherwise, then all we have to go on is material which portrays you as a thief.

Like I said, think whatever you want of me but I've got almost a thousand people following my work, I could care less about what a few people think of me. I refuse to show my source code because I want this to be my project and I fear that some master of C# may pick it up and render me irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back