• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading Transition with Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
With Pokemon X and Y coming out this year, we traders find ourselves facing a new dilemma, how are we going to handle trading in the new Generation 6 games while we wait for the 3DS encryption to be cracked.

There are a number of things that will change because of our current reliance on Action Replay and fake GTS services like Pokecheck.

-No way to clone Pokemon
-No way to speed up breeding
-No way to RNG
-No way to hack check Pokemon
-No way to export PKM files
-No way to quickly display bred Pokemon to a customer
-No way to effectively and quickly check IVs/EVs

This is just a short list of things that we lose in the transition, but their effect on trading will be drastic.

So, will you make the move to 6th gen with your shop, or will you wait? What other issues do you see for us in the near future with the switch? And how do you think you will change the way your shop operates, if you do make the switch?

Thankfully for me, I don't RNG, so I don't have to worry about that. Hopefully, they continue to make breeding more effective. I do plan on making the move as early as possible. Unfortunately, checking the IVs of Pokemon I breed will not be an easy task, and I may have to alter my system for breeding in 6th gen in order to reflect this. My customers will have to trust me a bit more, since I can't show them with Pokecheck just what IVs the Pokemon I bred received. I will likely have to put off Event trading in 6th gen until we get a way to clone Pokemon. Unfortunately, this also means I won't be able to offer any release events, or any events in Gen 6 until we do get a cloning method.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Even without all that convenience we're used to in Gen IV & V, I'm still planning to move straight into Gen VI. There are still version exclusives that I can help people out with and also offer breeding for Pokemon that are not native to Gen VI, providing we can transfer our Pokemon of course.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
Years
I will just play through the game and enjoy it first before i worry about making a shop and getting into trading. If i am still interested in trading afterwards it will be vastly different for all the reasons you listed, no cloning would definitely limit what people would be willing to trade aswell as no easy way to check for hacks. Maybe i would just offer egg move breeds and version exclusive pokes like tabor until more options become avaliable, possibly EV training services who knows.

Two 3DS systems would be handy but unless the prices come down significantly i will just stick to one.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Even without all that convenience we're used to in Gen IV & V, I'm still planning to move straight into Gen VI. There are still version exclusives that I can help people out with and also offer breeding for Pokemon that are not native to Gen VI, providing we can transfer our Pokemon of course.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure version exclusives will be the biggest market for a while after the release of XY. I wonder if I'll be able to force myself to beat it fast, or if I'll wind up taking my sweet time. I mean, I'll need that stuff as quick as possible to meet demands, but at the same time I need to be able to enjoy the game or else what's the point?
I will just play through the game and enjoy it first before i worry about making a shop and getting into trading. If i am still interested in trading afterwards it will be vastly different for all the reasons you listed, no cloning would definitely limit what people would be willing to trade aswell as no easy way to check for hacks. Maybe i would just offer egg move breeds and version exclusive pokes like tabor until more options become avaliable, possibly EV training services who knows.

Two 3DS systems would be handy but unless the prices come down significantly i will just stick to one.
I'll probably wind up borrowing my bro's 3DS for in-trading until I can get another one. EV training may be difficult if we can't find out the EV values for Pokemon. I don't know how they could figure that out without being able to read the game's data. Certainly power item training is viable. And I suppose as long as you know a Pokemon's highest base stat you can guess what EVs it will yield, but we can't know for certain.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
Years
It is still possible to EV train as long as you keep track of the exact amount of EV points have gone into the pokemon. As for IV's using rare candies to pump pokemon up to lvl 50 or 100 then putting the info into a stat calc will show a very or near accurate report of what the pokemons IV stats are. Albeit the process will be alot slower and yield less rewarding results as what we can achieve now but it is still possible.

I also think there will be some method of checking ingame on EV's and or IV's. Not exact figures of course but even gen 3 had a lady that would give you an effort ribbon if the pokemon at the front of the party had maxed EV's. Not a great help but it could allow you to know if a pokemon you bred is no good or has potential, or if you have maxed out EV's correctly and not miscounted.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
It is still possible to EV train as long as you keep track of the exact amount of EV points have gone into the pokemon. As for IV's using rare candies to pump pokemon up to lvl 50 or 100 then putting the info into a stat calc will show a very or near accurate report of what the pokemons IV stats are. Albeit the process will be alot slower and yield less rewarding results as what we can achieve now but it is still possible.

I also think there will be some method of checking ingame on EV's and or IV's. Not exact figures of course but even gen 3 had a lady that would give you an effort ribbon if the pokemon at the front of the party had maxed EV's. Not a great help but it could allow you to know if a pokemon you bred is no good or has potential, or if you have maxed out EV's correctly and not miscounted.
This is true. But we also have the issue of not knowing the actual Base Stats of a given new Pokemon. And calculating these Base Stats would be a very difficult task because of fluctuating IVs. Without knowing what a Pokemon's base stats are, we can't calculate IVs, and we can't calculate base stats because of IVs. It's a very weird situation.

Okazaki~Tomoya

A place were dreams come true
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
I think this makes this a little fairer to certain individuals.
I mean to me it just makes it feel a little more legitimate. Cloning, RNG etc. It's nice to see it's taking on a more legitimate approach sorry to the RNG fans but thats just my opinion :) never been one for using methods outside the games intended mechanics haha

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
-No way to clone Pokemon
-No way to RNG

No cloning: Don't trade away anything you want to keep. I guess that means fillers.
Breeding: No qualms.
RNG: I'm not going shiny hunting and there go any delusional thoughts about battling.
Hack Check: ugh, not this again. *Goes to ban all events* >.<
PKM files: Would you like an arm and a leg, Nintendo?
IVs/EVs:...
tumblr_mceyztjInH1rvjyls.gif

I think this makes this a little fairer to certain individuals.
I mean to me it just makes it feel a little more legitimate. Cloning, RNG etc. It's nice to see it's taking on a more legitimate approach sorry to the RNG fans but thats just my opinion :) never been one for using methods outside the games intended mechanics haha

tumblr_m9ov9ulV7M1qhzeq1o2_r1_500.gif

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
lol, lets avoid turning this into a conversation about whether RNG is an acceptable practice. Back on topic people. XD

You brought up Shiny Hunting, which I somehow completely forgot about. I wonder just how that will play out for shops, luckily we won't have to worry as much about hacked shinies, at least for any new Pokemon, since there won't be a way to hack it right away. I may just start shiny hunting in Gen 6 for a while, though now that I thin about it, the lack of a cloning method kinda makes it pointless...

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Like I said, don't trade anything you want to keep...at least from Gen 6. If Gen 6 continues the tradition of importing from previous gens, then there's still a way to import clones and, unfortunately, hacks.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 3, 2017
Like I said, don't trade anything you want to keep...at least from Gen 6. If Gen 6 continues the tradition of importing from previous gens, then there's still a way to import clones and, unfortunately, hacks.

If that's the case, I would just stick to trading hard-to-finds and version exclusives so as to remove all doubt. Nobody likes even the remote chance that their newly acquired pokemon is hacked.

Alternatively, breeding services would go on relatively unscathed.

Last edited:

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Why does it feel like the RNGers are going out of business? XD
Going without all that stuff for a while will probably be okay at first, but I don't know if I'd do any trading if I couldn't clone my pokemon. :/.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Reading through this list made me realize just how far we've come since 2006, woooo!

I believe it's slightly possible that XY may have a cloning glitch. Most of the previous generations had their own way of cloning. ;D I can deal with breeding and slow hatching and checking IVs like in Emerald. However, I can't imagine that many will stay in the competitive trading scene for very long without being able to clone.

I won't know what I'll do until October, I suppose...

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
This comes as a shocker to me, I mean I pre-ordered both so waiting will not be a problem, I will play through both, so hopefully they will get all of the issues worked out before I finish both of them, cloning will be the biggest issue for me as I like to keep all that I get.

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
Years
I haven't traded in a wahahahilleee, but this would definitely be a bummer for training a team for battle. It's a good thing I am terrible at battles anyhow! :)

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
I'm not sure that 6 Gen interests me all that much. I'd need to buy a 3DS and the game and with PS4 coming out shortly after I think it would end up getting neglected, and the fact the new region is modeled after France is just WRONG!!! However until all those things are cracked i'd probably clone what ever I needed on Gen 5 then transfer the clones to Gen 6 and make do with previous gen pokes for a while.

However the idea of the new region and being around when the RNG mechanics are discovered gives me the excited feeling of being one of the first explorers on a new frontier.

Years
-No way to clone Pokemon
-No way to RNG

Great news, all the things that ruin Pokémon will be gone :)

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Great news, all the things that ruin Pokémon will be gone :)

I can see why you'd think RNG and cloning can "ruin" Pokemon, but when were hack checking, displaying Pokemon easily, and checking IV/EV values easily "ruining" Pokemon?

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
We're a Mewtwos, we love cloning pokemon. It is by far the cheapest way to get multiple pokemon.....
I guess I can't use my legends.....they'll be reserved until I find a way to clone. \
I hope I could get one quick....

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
Years
I've personally got a very simple solution to this whole mess: I'll simply work with my 5th Gen games until there's a viable way to trade the same old way with X & Y.

There's bound to be an AR for it to come out within a couple months of its release, so there's not going to be much of a problem from what I foresee. After all, we're going to have to transition our Pokemon from one Gen to the other over time -- although it will most likely be especially a pain for me, given the size of my own collection.

EDIT: As for version exclusives, I've already got two 3DS systems, so I'm already covered. XD

Back