• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Discovery

Should the beta be released sooner or later?

• Sooner! [Shorter beta]

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Later! [Longer beta]

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
**Update**

Alright so I added in the cave (which will be called Argyle Cave) into the hack. It connects Berry City and Forest Path 3. This means all that's left for the hack is to script up the cave, berry city, add a few side maps and events and fix up interface, colors, titlescreen, add a few song tracks, then done for first beta

After a long wait! Can't wait to try the beta :)

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I expect everyone who plays to be the above average player. If you can download a rom and apply the patch, you are obviously looking for more challenging and fun Pokemon games. I'm here to give you a hack that's both interactive in story, interactive in gameplay, filled with lots of sounds, modified graphics and Pokemon.
Because nobody is going to ask how to patch this hack or anything in that matter right?
No really, seriously, do not reply to this thread asking how to patch this hack.
Thx all mobile gamers will bring down history cuz we cant patch nothing
You still have to patch no matter what, the Pokecommunity rules say, we can't distribute actual .gba roms, we have to give you a patch. Sorry. Try getting a patching device for your phone, I think LaZ made one but I'm not too sure, I use a computer to test out hacks and play other games.

anonymous724

If Being Fresh is Wrong, I don't wanna be Right
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
Because nobody is going to ask how to patch this hack or anything in that matter right?
No really, seriously, do not reply to this thread asking how to patch this hack.

You still have to patch no matter what, the Pokecommunity rules say, we can't distribute actual .gba roms, we have to give you a patch. Sorry. Try getting a patching device for your phone, I think LaZ made one but I'm not too sure, I use a computer to test out hacks and play other games.

You can patch on android. Search rom patcher into the play store. Idk about ios, but you can definately patch on android

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
I must say Le Pug i have been watching the hack for awhile now, and it is just absolutely beautiful and i honestly can not wait for you to come out with something for the people to play, you can be sure i will definitely be playing it and telling all my friends about this hack.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Holy ♥♥♥♥!
This is like the best tiles I've ever seen in a Pokémon game.
There is going to be even more awesome tiles. We just haven't shown them yet. :P

-Small, not even an update-like Update-
Alright, so progress has been kinda slow, we're still working on the hack, but life in general has been somewhat getting in the way. I can say this confidently though, a beta will be out soon, and if not, definately in the summer. Thanks for being patient everybody. We honestly appreciate it.

~Tcoppy​

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I must say Le Pug i have been watching the hack for awhile now, and it is just absolutely beautiful and i honestly can not wait for you to come out with something for the people to play, you can be sure i will definitely be playing it and telling all my friends about this hack.

I'm glad you're anticipating it, we're working hard to push out the first beta and almost done with the cave that links two towns then after Berry City, the third city I'll push out the beta.

As for an update, just added new scripts and events, currently working on Level of Will events being added

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
I'm glad you're anticipating it, we're working hard to push out the first beta and almost done with the cave that links two towns then after Berry City, the third city I'll push out the beta.

As for an update, just added new scripts and events, currently working on Level of Will events being added

I was expecting that this post was the beta release XD Oh well, nice update. Can't wait for le betaaaaaaaaa. I play complete hack before the beta but I wanna play your game ^^

Le pug

Years
Alright so with our project we want originality ... figured having an Eevee as a starter and getting an eeveelution from it isn't original. So what better way than to make the starter more original?

Haven't seen it yet and I know a lot of people like him and I personally think he's cool too so we're going to switch the starter from Eevee and evolutions to ---> Hawlucha from Gen 6.

250px-701Hawlucha.png

Let me know what you guys think about this

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Alright so with our project we want originality ... figured having an Eevee as a starter and getting an eeveelution from it isn't original. So what better way than to make the starter more original?

Haven't seen it yet and I know a lot of people like him and I personally think he's cool too so we're going to switch the starter from Eevee and evolutions to ---> Hawlucha from Gen 6.

250px-701Hawlucha.png

I think that's waaaaay too overpowered for a starter.. Why not something like Pancham or lillipup or something like that?

Le pug

Years
I think that's waaaaay too overpowered for a starter.. Why not something like Pancham or lillipup or something like that?

Yeah that's what I keep hearing but it's not hard to modify it's stats or just make the enemy pokemon battles harder on the player to balance it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023

250px-701Hawlucha.png

I really like the idea of Hawlucha as the starter. Hawlucha is available pretty early on in X and Y and it didn't seem too OP, so it shouldn't be too overpowered depending on the difficulty of this game. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the first beta, keep up the good work :)

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Just curious, but is there any reason for Hawlucha? There's this Navy-ocean-island-sailor kind of theme going on, so a Spanish masked-wrestling bird isn't the first thing that comes to mind to me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
My only problem with Hawlucha is that it has too much personality. Eevee's a rather plain pokemon that has a neutrality about it, one helped by it's plain (yet cute) appearance. Hawlucha is kind of zany and has a very loud...everything. It's appearance is loud and it's concept is loud, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does seem a little out of place for a starter, especially in a journey such as this.

Le pug

Years
Just curious, but is there any reason for Hawlucha? There's this Navy-ocean-island-sailor kind of theme going on, so a Spanish masked-wrestling bird isn't the first thing that comes to mind to me.

What kind of pokemon do you envision then? Some sort of navy water related pokemon?

edit: i see hawlucha as more of a tropical-looking bird pokemon even though i'm not gonna act oblivious. i know hes suppose to be a luchador pokemon. i just don't know ... don't think eevee is original and I look at all like 800 pokemon and can't put a finger on any of them ... unless the starter is some sort of fakemon im not really sure at this point what starter people would prefer to see

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I mentioned this on IRC but idk if you saw it so I'm gonna repeat it here: I don't like Hawlucha as a starter. There's not much choice to what you're using with Hawlucha- mandatory Eevee at least gives you the freedom to pick your evolution, while here the best you can do is box the bird once you catch something else. There's little choice about how to run Hawlucha as well- its Flying+Fighting STABs make coverage pointless as you hit damn near everything for neutral damage already, and its stats don't gear it towards doing much besides slinging physical attacks at stuff and Encoring if it gets a chance. Normally a mon so one-dimensional wouldn't be that big of an issue, but making it the only starter of the game clashes a lot with the "player choices matter" motif you seem to have going on.

edit: if the issue is originality by the way that really shouldn't be the sole thing driving you away from what was a good choice- eevee is interesting, isn't *that* common in (non-garbage) hacks, and shooting oneself in the foot in an original way gets you nowhere

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
Years
I mentioned this on IRC but idk if you saw it so I'm gonna repeat it here: I don't like Hawlucha as a starter. There's not much choice to what you're using with Hawlucha- mandatory Eevee at least gives you the freedom to pick your evolution, while here the best you can do is box the bird once you catch something else. There's little choice about how to run Hawlucha as well- its Flying+Fighting STABs make coverage pointless as you hit damn near everything for neutral damage already, and its stats don't gear it towards doing much besides slinging physical attacks at stuff and Encoring if it gets a chance. Normally a mon so one-dimensional wouldn't be that big of an issue, but making it the only starter of the game clashes a lot with the "player choices matter" motif you seem to have going on.

edit: if the issue is originality by the way that really shouldn't be the sole thing driving you away from what was a good choice- eevee is interesting, isn't *that* common in (non-garbage) hacks, and shooting oneself in the foot in an original way gets you nowhere

I was in the middle of saying exactly this, haha. I don't mind Hawlucha if I have a choice of starters, but I don't like being locked into a Pokemon with such a specific role.

Now a choice of starter birds...I could get behind that.

Le pug

Years

Ah the part about player choice is true. I'd be locking in a pokemon rather than giving the player one of the things I want there to be many of: choices. I guess you're right that eevee isn't as common, just a little overrated in my opinion. Just been hearing from a few people "oh eevee is your starter, how original" and other comments like that and was just thinking of trying a new starter but it seems the collective census is that eevee should stay as the starter and so it shall stay as the starter

Still, depending on how early you get pokeballs, choice might not be an issue.

yeah well another thing i'm trying to work on is implementing a system into which somehow the PC makes sense ... since you're on an island with no computers ... trying to figure out a way to swap out pokemon so you're not stuck with the first six pokemon you capture :P

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
One thing with Hawlucha is the balancing :(.

At the beginning, it'll have stats much higher than a 'normal' starter, still higher than a second stage starter, and a little short of a final evolution such as Venusaur.

If you tweak the stats, it might balance Hawlucha for the early game, but it'll make the later levels a lot harder as it gets over-taken by evolving pokemon.

Back