• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Ononokusu be an Uber?

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 19, 2016
Who knows? Personally, I don't think so as it's defences aren't that great and it's outsped by Base 100's, such as Flygon, Salamence, Garchomp, Weavile, Starmie, Latias and friends, all who can put a huge dent in it. Heck even Choice Scarf Ditto will beat it. I think it will be very good OU, but not Uber.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2010
Good point, probably would be a OU, but a ninjask baton pass could rip through a team.

Years
No proably not. It's speed number is right below base 100s, meaning it will be outran by lots of threats.

Secondly, this thing has frail Sp.Def, so any Ice Beam will hurt it a lot. It dosn't have high enough Sp.Atk to use fire blast, so it dosn't get the Fire+Dragon combo like salamence. It dosn't get stone edge or fire fang to hit skarmory.

Project.

Tarot reading;
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2010
It's frail to certain baton passers. Anything that can get a good special hit on it sends it down...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
No. It's great offensively and has good typing / coverage, but it lacks variety and is easily countered. He has horrid defenses, so you can only get him in on a switch or with proper set-up. He's also not as versatile as Salamence or Dragonite because his SpA is pretty paltry. To boot, he's liable to revenge kills and completely vulnerable to being walled (run Taunt).

Otherwise, he boasts a very, very high ATK, but that's the extent of his special qualities.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
It wil; be an OU for sure for reasons already said above me. It is like a Tyranitar, great attack, crappy SpDef, crappy Speed. It will be greatly owned by Ice types.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Moved over to Strageties & Movesets as the topic suits discussions here more. ;)

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2010
I think the proper phrase to describe it is 'Glass Cannon'

BTW, a lot of people think that Mence and Garchomp will go back to OU, is this likely?

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I don't think Ono would be Uber; since its frail, kinda slow compared to other threats in the 5th gen, and cause of its frailness, pretty hard for it to set up.

As for the Salamence thing; it gets an ability called overconfidence in dream world which it'll raise its attacks whenever it KO's a pokemon, so no, I don't think it'll be OU; since with One DD it can OHKO most stuff still with Outrage--unless maybe you'd have a Nattorei or something? Maybe it can check out in OU~

Garchomp? I'm not sure. It's still kinda broken, but there's alot more checks in 4th and Sth gen to it, so maybe. But I guess we'd have eto wait and see. ^.^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
BTW, a lot of people think that Mence and Garchomp will go back to OU, is this likely?
Everyone (or at least, majority) at Smogon agree to bring down Salamence and Garchomp, and I don't see why they should stay in Uber. I also think they'll most likely stay in OU, because from what I heard they have a lot more problems to deal with now.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2010
So when more people get experience with the new pokes do you think that they will move some pokes back to uber, or is this just irrelevant speculation?

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
Years
  • Age 113
  • Seen Nov 5, 2014
So when more people get experience with the new pokes do you think that they will move some pokes back to uber, or is this just irrelevant speculation?

Chomp and Mence will probably never go back to uber this generation. Mence shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Pokemon will always be re-analyzed later.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2011
Yea, with all the new pokes that will be put into uber, mence is totally outclassed. Garchomp on the other hand can probably still hold its own. SD chomp is arguably the most powerful set in the metagame.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
I think Ono, as well as Mence and Chomp, will be OU this gen.

Why?

Choice Scarf Ditto, that's why. It seems as though a lot of people are going to be using it from what I'vce heard of it so far.

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
Years
  • Age 113
  • Seen Nov 5, 2014
I think Ono, as well as Mence and Chomp, will be OU this gen.

Why?

Choice Scarf Ditto, that's why. It seems as though a lot of people are going to be using it from what I'vce heard of it so far.

Lol. Wobbuffet says "Sup?".

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
Years
Good point, probably would be a OU, but a ninjask baton pass could rip through a team.

Venomoth + Butterfly Dance + Baton Pass to Ononokusu = Rape.

Butterfly Dance raises the user's Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed stats by one stage each.

After one Butterfly Dance:
60 - 90 SPATK
70 - 105 SPDEF
97 - 145.5 SPEED

After two Butterfly Dances:
120 SPATK
140 SPDEF
194 SPEED

The butterfly dance pass is mainly for raising SPDEF and SPEED since Ononokusu has limited special options. Even with 1 butterfly dance pass Ononokusu wouldn't have to use dragon dance and can CB Outrage Sweep the enemy easily. His raised SpDEF would be higher than his Defense normally, and with 145.5 Speed little to nothing is going to out speed this guy. If you can pull off two butterfly dances, there is little to no chance of outspeeding him even with a CB. Outrage is what you and your opponent will be doing with this strategy.

Venomoth as a lead can set up at least 2 butterfly dances if the opponent sets up Rocks/spikes. It all depends if the opponent has priority moves.

This means that Ononokusu would be OU at best. Venomoth couldn't set anything up against UBER pokemon, and neither could Ninjask. By himself, Ononokusu is outsped and has low special defense, so special sweepers could end him easily even if he tried dragon dancing.

Last edited:
Years
Never gonna happen.
It just screams OU,it's defenses are far too low and it can rarely set up a sweep by itself..
Mence is also OU and Chomp has a pretty high chance coming back to OU as well.

Back