• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A (Very) Short Dictionary To ROM Hacking Lingo

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I've been looking around the forums, and noticed that some beginners, may not have a clear understanding, on the basic terms, often thrown around between hackers. So to just give a friendly reminder, I'll go over the general terms used in ROM Hacking. Mainly because I know that it can get quite annoying answering questions "What is [blank]?" and "Where can I find more on [blank]?" So I'll just lift a large weight, off of it.

So let's be clear here...Most of you, already know these terms. Not alphabetical as of yet. Thanks to Lady Prixy for grabbing the defintion for RAM.

A General ROM Hacker's Dictionary and Lingo

Basic Hacking Programming Terms

RAM - Random Access Memory. This is what the computer uses to store information that needs to be accessed quickly. When you are playing a Pokemon game, the map and sprites on screen are stored in the RAM so that they can be shown without having to reload them from the file system each time the screen refreshes (30 frames per second = 30 refreshes per second).

Hex- Short for hexadeciamal. It has a numerical notation of 16, rather than 10. This numerical notation ranges from 0-F. More on Hex can be found here.

Pointer-These are the offsets written backwards. By backwards, the bytes are backwards, not exactly the offset itself. So 0x9852D4 = D4 52 98 08, with the "x" becoming 8. Pointers point to specific offsets.

Repoint- This is when you move the bytes of a certain table to a new offset. This means that all the pointers must be changed to accomadate the new offset. So if we repointed to 0x81072D from 0x9852D4, all the D4 52 98 08 must change into 2D 07 81 08.

MB- Short for Megabytes. Unit of information equal to one million bytes. GBA roms, more specifically Pokémon, are 16MB, when expanded, they equal 32MB.

Free Space- The unused space in the ROM. Anything new you want to add, must be added using Free Space. You could change things already there, but it could potentially corrupt your ROM, so we just use Free Space when needed. Free Space is FF. Here is where you can find Free Space, in your ROM.

ASM- Short for Assembly. A low-level programming language that operates directly on the cpu. This is the blood and soul of your ROM hacks. Don't treat it like black magic. More on ASM can be found here.

Routine- This is used in ASM. It contains, the neccessary code, to produce something(most likely a feature), that could be used in your ROM Hack. Imagine it, as scripting, you take the right components, and write it out, to produce something. But here, we aren't making events in a game, but rather, getting hooks to the engine, to add features, not found in the original games. Want to insert a routine? Look here.

Compile- To produce something, by assembling information together.

Open Source- Software, whose orginal source code, is made public, for anyone to change and modify.

ROM's, Bases, and Emulators

ROM- Read-only memory. A storage medium used by computers and other electronic devices. To you, this is our medium, in which we make our games. It's modified using a variety of tools, found here on the Pokécommunity, or on various websites.

Rombase- This is a base, that hackers use to start development on a ROM Hack. Distributed using patches. For you, rombases are extremely helpful, to make your ROM Hack, as up to date, with current Pokémon functions, as possible.

GBA- Gameboy Advanced. The system that ran Fire Red/Leaf Green/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. The third generation of games.

GBC- Gameboy Color. The system that ran Gold/Silver/Crystal. Second generation of games. But mainly Crystal.

GB- Gameboy. It is the system that ran Red/Blue/Yellow. The first generation of games.

VBA- VisualBoy Advanced. An emulator you are probably using.

VBA-M- VisualBoy Advnaced Merged. The continuation of the dead VBA project, offering new features.

JPAN's Engine(or something)- An amazing rombase which hosts alot of features that made Fire Red a large forerunner in the rombase race. Found

DSLN Engine- Like JPAN's, but with Emerald. Found

Basics of Hacking Terms

Mapping/Maps- Everything, in terms of, the design aspects of the overworld. All the areas of the game, to put it blunt. More on Mapping can be found here.

Scripting/Scripts- All the basic functions for events, in the game. This ranges from dialouge to the Champion Battle. More on Scripting can be found here. If you don't use XSE, then look here instead.

Sprite- An computer graphic of something, in the overworld. This can be a character, a Pokémon...whatever.

Tiles- A shape or image, used to make up the game's overworld. This is what creates Maps, and makes up a large portion, if the game's graphical appeal. More on tiles and insertion can be found here.

Pallete- The colors that are used for a visual graphic. Depending on your ROM, there may be certain limitations, to how many colors are allowed, to be used on a pallete.

Miscellaneous Terms

Patch- This is a file that has information, which can be used to add more features to a ROM or play a new hack. Here, on Pokécommunity, new hacks and rombases are distributed through, and only through patches. If you need to know, how to patch a ROM, look here(alot of people get annoyed, if you ask them, how to, so just do it).

Tool Acroynms

XSE- Xtreme Script Editor. Find it on the internet somewhere because the links for it has been removed on HackMew's Tool Thread.

MEH- Map Editor of Happiness. Found here.

A-Map- Advanced Map. Found here.

A-Text- Advanced Text. Found

A-Trainer- Advanced Trainer. Found here

A-Series- Advanced Series. Found here

DNS- Day/Night System. Found here

GH3S- Gen 3 Hacking Suite. Found here.

G3T- Gen 3 Tools. Found here.

PGE- Pokémon Game Editor. Not giving away the link. Look for it and maybe you might find something.

NTME- Nameless Tilemap Editor. Found here.

NSE- Nameless Sprite Editor. Found here.

FSF- Free Space Finder. Found here.

THA- TileHelperAdvanced.

YAPE- Yet Another Pokémon Editor.

Will add more, as someone tells me more terms, I forgot :). Hope this helps anyone.

Last edited:
Years
Well Thanks For Information I say you Become A Teacher

Some Point I don't Know I guess i will make more Hacking roms tools LOL
Thanks Bro

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Found this thread by accident, read it because I was bored, noticed that you don't have XSE and other tool acronyms in there.

Also, I've seen the term "Vanilla" used more and more in recent months. Luckily, you informed me of it's meaning earlier today. You might consider adding it to this list.

I'm sure this list will make a huge difference to the new hackers in the community!

Sticky request!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Pointer and repoint?

I'd also recommend putting it all in alphabetical order.

DJTiki

Years
Pointer and repoint?

I'd also recommend putting it all in alphabetical order.

Thank you! It was literally on the tip of my tougue :p

But I will alphabetize this, if this is all the words, I need. Like I said, if I forgot any, I want to add beforehand. So for right now, I'm mostly trying to group these together, the best I can. Putting anything that has to do with Hex together and ASM together, etc.

Last edited:

Bliss

Years
Thank you! It was literally on the tip of my tougue :p

But I will alphabeticalize this, if this is all the words, I need. Like I said, if I forgot any, I want to add beforehand. So for right now, I'm mostly trying to group these together, the best I can. Putting anything that has to do with Hex together and ASM together, etc.
Hmm. Maybe add a little disclaimer stating the differences between Hacking and Cracking? Most of my online friends won't touch Pokemon Hacks because of the word 'hack' being in the name. They immediately assume it's against the law lol.

Also, a little Grammar Nazi in me just woke up. The term "alphabeticalize" should be "alphabetize" just thought I'd add that lol. Hope you don't think me rude! Really tired and it was bugging me for some reason. xD

Also, do you think RAM and VRAM should be added to the list? They apply more to emulators than to ROM Hacking, but still thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the great list! I'm going to link to it from another forum, in the hopes that more people come join PokeCommunity for ROM Hacking lol.

Off topic: My welcome message would say "You joined for ROM Hacking, did you Lady Prixy?" LOL! That's just perfect timing!

EDIT: And after posting, my welcome message is "Spheal with it Lady Prixy" THIS FORUM IS EVIL! Lol jk.

DJTiki

Years
Hmm. Maybe add a little disclaimer stating the differences between Hacking and Cracking? Most of my online friends won't touch Pokemon Hacks because of the word 'hack' being in the name. They immediately assume it's against the law lol.

It's not illegal, unless you get caught. Actually, it isn't illegal until its monotized, to play it.

Also, a little Grammar Nazi in me just woke up. The term "alphabeticalize" should be "alphabetize" just thought I'd add that lol. Hope you don't think me rude! Really tired and it was bugging me for some reason. xD

It's okay. My tablet assumes it's a real word though, which bugs me...

Also, do you think RAM and VRAM should be added to the list? They apply more to emulators than to ROM Hacking, but still thought I'd ask.

I will more than likely add it. Just becuase I'm not too sure, on what it is xD, I just hear it alot. So I'll add it.

Thanks again for the great list! I'm going to link to it from another forum, in the hopes that more people come join PokeCommunity for ROM Hacking lol.

Awesome :). If it gets out there, I'll be more than appreciative. Having more people around for ROM Hacking, is always fun. Never know, what you will attract,

Bliss

Years
It's not illegal, unless you get caught. Actually, it isn't illegal until its monotized, to play it.
Yep! Completely legal, unless you try to monetize it.
It's okay. My tablet assumes it's a real word though, which bugs me...
Yeah, I've often heard that some tablets and phones have alternate spellings. Then again, it might be a word in British English. I only speak US English, so all of the differences evade me more often than not.
I will more than likely add it. Just becuase I'm not too sure, on what it is xD, I just hear it alot. So I'll add it.
RAM - Random Access Memory
This is what the computer uses to store information that needs to be accessed quickly. When you are playing a Pokemon game the map and sprites on screen are stored in the RAM so that they can be shown without having to reload them from the file system each time the screen refreshes (30 frames per second = 30 refreshes per second)

VRAM - Virtual Random Access Memory (I think)
Not entirely sure what the difference is, and I'm too tired to look it up lol. But I assume it's pretty much the same, but for graphics instead of the files themselves.
Awesome :). If it gets out there, I'll be more than appreciative. Having more people around for ROM Hacking, is always fun. Never know, what you will attract,
Links posted to 2 other forums. But those forums aren't as active as PokeCommunity, so it might be a couple of days before they reply. xD

NOTE: I didn't look up RAM or VRAM, too tired lol. The RAM explanation I gave is based on what I have seen on other websites. If it's incorrect, feel free to correct me. Too tired to fix it if it's wrong lol.

DJTiki

Years
Links posted to 2 other forums. But those forums aren't as active as PokeCommunity, so it might be a couple of days before they reply. xD

Thanks for the defintions :D. Also if it isn't much of a problem, can you PM me the forums, you linked to. Since posting links to other forums, isn't allowed?

Bliss

Years
Thanks for the defintions :D. Also if it isn't much of a problem, can you PM me the forums, you linked to. Since posting links to other forums, isn't allowed?
They are both dead RuneScape forums. Admin already deleted my post on one of them lol. (Freakin' Shad.. I really hate him -.-)

Correction: RuneScape Fan Forums.

Hmm, let me scrounge up a link, then I'll PM you.

DJTiki

Years
Welp. I orgnanized these terms a tad bit more, into sections that I personally felt were similar. So all things regarding ASM, Hex and the basic ROM and stuff stays in one section, while terms for mapping amd stuff in another. :)

Remember to inform me on terms I missed.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
If you're going to do A-Map an acronym you're going to have to do A-Text, A-Series, A-Trainer, HxD is for HxDen, YAPE is for Yet Another Pokemon Editor, THA for TileHelperAdvance, DNS means Day/Night System, you misspelled G3HS as GH3S, maybe talk about Debugging, GBA, GBC, GB, WAH as in wahackpokemon.com since its referred to ... PHO as in pokemonhackersonline.com also maybe JPANs engine .... since thats terminology tossed around but people might be like wtf...... also the new version of the emerald version of JPANs engine....... DSLN which means Dark Sneasel's Left Nut Da Supremerald Laudable Nick-nacks. Could go into hex, but people talk about bytes a lot... just mention what a byte is and give an example. P/S as physical/special split. also IRC means internet rape culture internet relay chat ..... Decap is short for the term decapitialization which is a word made up on these forums. Also maybe what BPEE, BPRE, etc is .. you mention rom, but not romBASE ... if people really need it .... FR for FireRed and EM for Emerald, LG for leaf green, G/S/C, R/S, D/P, etc. Also Sappy could probably be defined, just since it's used for music hacking. Also VBA for visualboyadvance, OW means overworld usually referring to overworld sprite, WIP meaning work in progress, PKSV for Pokemon Script Viewer, PS for pokescript,

Last edited:

DJTiki

Years
If you're going to do A-Map an acronym you're going to have to do A-Text, A-Series, A-Trainer, HxD is for HxDen, YAPE is for Yet Another Pokemon Editor, THA for TileHelperAdvance, DNS means Day/Night System, you misspelled G3HS as GH3S, maybe talk about Debugging, GBA, GBC, GB, WAH as in wahackpokemon.com since its referred to ... PHO as in pokemonhackersonline.com also maybe JPANs engine .... since thats terminology tossed around but people might be like wtf...... also the new version of the emerald version of JPANs engine....... DSLN which means Dark Sneasel's Left Nut Da Supremerald Laudable Nick-nacks. Could go into hex, but people talk about bytes a lot... just mention what a byte is and give an example. P/S as physical/special split

Welp. So many things I forgot. Thanks for the terms and acronyms Le.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Welp. So many things I forgot. Thanks for the terms and acronyms Le.

I updated it again didnt expect you to respond so soon but yeah make sure you check out the post again. I'm sure this thread will some of the newer people out so good job

DJTiki

Years
I updated it again didnt expect you to respond so soon but yeah make sure you check out the post again. I'm sure this thread will some of the newer people out so good job

Thanks! Hopefully it is helpful. But I was subscribed to the thread, so I know when someone posts here cx. But I added a few terms with no links, will finish the rest tommorow.

Back