• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Minecraft: Pocket Edition (iOS)

KenXEcker

Pokemon Professor
Years
Hey everyone, it's the first time I'm posting in here... I usually post in the TCG section, but I've been playing this game lately and I think it deserves a review...

So basically anyone who has ever played minecraft on the PC knows the basic idea of the game. Build a house, mine for diamonds, kill mobs, repeat. Great game, no question. But the pocket edition allows players to enjoy this game on the go, when the player is not in front of a PC, or if theirs doesn't quite meet the standards to play without massive lag (like myself).

Controls/Interface:

You have a virtual D-pad on the bottom left and a hotbar of inventory items on the bottom center (in landscape, of course) On an iPod touch, you have 3 hotbar items, and on iPad you have 8 followed by a [...] Tapping this opens the rest of your inventory, where you can switch between your items in toolbar/craft. Speaking of crafting, it is not the traditional crafting system many minecraft players are used to. From the inventory screen, on the top left there is a button that says [craft]. This is your basic crafting without a table. From here, it shows what items can be crafted if you have the right blocks for it. Here you can make a crafting table and other small stuff like torches.

Rate: 8/10, not what I'm used to, but it's not bad.

Gameplay:

You have 2 game modes, Creative and Survival (no hardcore mode yet). Creative, you have unlimited blocks, unlimited health, and flying. Great for building that awesome 3 floor Victorian style house you always wanted. The real fun is Survival mode... Kind of. You start in a random spawn point armed with only shears, bricks, and glass. All unlimited. (no smelting as of current version 0.3.0) you punch some trees, make a small fort for your first night, and avoid the zombies in the night. Oh yeah, the only mobs so far are zombies, and there are tons of them! Unfortunately, because you can not smelt, diamond, gold, and obsidian are impossible to get because you are limited to stone tools.

Rate: 6/10, it'll get better in the future, but for now, it gets dull quick.

Graphics:

It's minecraft. Graphics don't make a great game.

Rate: 10/10 just like the PC

Multiplayer:

There is no true wifi-server-pocket edition-multiplayer. If you have a buddy with an iPhone or iPad, and minecraft pocket edition, you both can play in the same map if you are both connected to the same wifi.

Overall rating 8/10, a lot of fun for when you need to kill a half hour or 12... I think when the next update comes out, it will be a lot more enjoyable to play.

Minecraft: Pocket Edition is available on the App Store for $6.99

Back