The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements

Notices

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Savordez
The (Un)official Dumbass

Nature: Relaxed
I do realise this, and I think the law is useless. It doesn't really help, but neither does my complaining.
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:37 PM
kelario27
20% Cooler
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to kelario27
1) The law is dumb. I registered what, 2, 3 years ago? I probably lied then (I've since changed it), but I'm 14 in less than a week. No repercussions ever happened even when I mentioned it. A bit surprising that they're banning the kids now.

2) The law only applies to US jurisdiction. Assuming that doesn't extend to Canada, I recommend whoever owns the servers (I think that's Rukario's company) just move it to Vancouver and access it remotely when he needs to. If jurisdiction extends to Canada in violation of obvious principles, I recommend he move them to the Netherlands with Ixquick, where they can't bother him and the target audience of Poke'mon can register freely.
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
Quote:
2) The law only applies to US jurisdiction. Assuming that doesn't extend to Canada, I recommend whoever owns the servers (I think that's Rukario's company) just move it to Vancouver and access it remotely when he needs to. If jurisdiction extends to Canada in violation of obvious principles, I recommend he move them to the Netherlands with Ixquick, where they can't bother him and the target audience of Poke'mon can register freely.
I hope this is some form of sarcasm, because you can't just ask someone to uproot themselves so that they can go somewhere that this website wouldn't have to adhere to this law. That's very selfish.

Complain about it all you want, it's not going to change anything unfortunately, unless the US decides to get rid of this law.
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

You should remember that under 13's can legally join this forum, so long as they have parental consent.

Whether or not the law is stupid is irrelevant. It applies.
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Orpheus
Burn my Dread

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelario27 View Post
1) The law is dumb. I registered what, 2, 3 years ago? I probably lied then (I've since changed it), but I'm 14 in less than a week. No repercussions ever happened even when I mentioned it. A bit surprising that they're banning the kids now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
You should remember that under 13's can legally join this forum, so long as they have parental consent.

Whether or not the law is stupid is irrelevant. It applies.
And really it isn't stupid. It is for the protection of those under 13, while I think the method they went about this is, maybe, questionable It isn't stupid they're only thinking about your protection. And like Maruno said Stupid or not ITS THE LAW! (God I wish I knew this sooner, I was twelve when I signed up. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelario27 View Post
1)
That statement is unbelievably selfish what your saying is "I want Rukario to uproot himself, move to another country and basically create a new life just so he can escape this law".

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old December 18th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
We're not uprooting the servers and basing ourselves out of another country so little children can mess around here. COPPA and its enforcement on this website isn't going anywhere either. So let's move on, shall we?
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:01 AM
LORD PRANESH

I am 13 year old Lucky soo lucky but i dont understand why age is important pokemon is kids so if htey only dont play wats fun for them pokemon is major kids only watch almost
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:29 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD PRANESH View Post
I am 13 year old Lucky soo lucky but i dont understand why age is important pokemon is kids so if htey only dont play wats fun for them pokemon is major kids only watch almost
I, along with many others agree, but it's a matter of complying with the law. As previously mentioned, COPPA is being enforced to ensure PC doesn't get into any trouble in the future.

Also, it's great to have you with us! C:

Last edited by curiousnathan; April 11th, 2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Orpheus
Burn my Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD PRANESH View Post
Pokemon is targeted at children, true. But It's the law, so really PC has no choice but to enforce COPPA. It's sad that a large portion of Pokemon's audience isn't legally capable of being on here, without the parent's permission. It makes it a lot harder for children to sign up, but it's the law.

I hope my post isn't being repetitive.

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old April 16th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Keromatsu
Froakie is Awesome!

Nature: Naughty
Am I safe? I'm asking as I was under 13 when I joined, I'm like almost 14 now.
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:52 AM
adventure
satellite physician

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superqami View Post
Am I safe? I'm asking as I was under 13 when I joined, I'm like almost 14 now.
If you are 13 or above now, you can go on PC without special consent from your parents. So keep roaming the forums without a worry :)
paired with : abnegation
roleplay: CLOUD v2.0
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:12 PM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

The stuff on PC is generally pretty clean. Should there be a law that if the gov. Checks out a website, they can approve it and anyone can join? We have a good community with great mods. I'm way above the age, for your information.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Member of the Christian Community!
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPokemon View Post
The stuff on PC is generally pretty clean. Should there be a law that if the gov. Checks out a website, they can approve it and anyone can join? We have a good community with great mods. I'm way above the age, for your information.
I don't think the government minds about what goes on on here as long as it's not illegal and we follow COPPA.
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Illusione-Tempus
The Black Swordsman(?)

Nature: Quirky
I was a little under 13 when I first registered. Oh, the naive little me. xDD

I completely understand regarding this matter. You don't know how many pedophiles are lurking on the internet. Remember the Swapnote incident?

Plus, it is the US law. If people disagree to it, PC can't just move its servers to a different country. Admit it, in a lot of websites you're going that requires registration, the 13-year-old law is there, right?

"What kind of reflexes do you have?"
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
I think we've done the COPPA talk to death. Time to move on.

Current users who remain underage will have their accounts suspended. Anyone over the age who hasn't been picked up have nothing to worry about. And registration continues to require being at the age of 13.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links