• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
JT: Try this script (insert in a new script section above Main):
Code:
class Time
def hour
return $game_variables[30]%24 #Replace 30 with the variable number
end
end
I'm not sure if it will work, but give it a go. Keep in mind this will only work for scripts using Time#hour, for example the Day/Night script. But you should be able to add to it if you need to.

JJM: Just delete everything in the file PBS/Encounters.txt.

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
Years
Thanks but it still didn't fix the editor...

P.S. can some1 make me a script so i can take photos in my game and then they can be published in a newspaper, witch gets deliverd to your house daily!

~EDIT~

OMG 1 ERROR AFTER ANOTHER!!! now i get this error after i teleport from the intro...

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: Errno::ENOENT

Game_Map*:52:in `load_data'

Game_Map*:52:in `setup'

PokemonMap:710:in `getMap'

PokemonMap:837:in `setMapsInRange'

PokemonMap:831:in `each'

PokemonMap:831:in `setMapsInRange'

Resolution*:17:in `display_x='

Resolution*:9:in `center'

Game_Player*:410:in `moveto'

Scene_Map:216:in `transfer_player'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
In the script sections starting with PokeBattle. General text is found in PokeBattle_Battle and PokeBattle_ActualScene, while move-specific text is found in PokeBattle_MoveEffects. Use the search function (press CTRL+F).

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2008
the teleport thing is in the note.html file, as for the fly thing, i have no idea. o.0
But the teleport has the same problem like with the fly,im need to do the same thing to fix it,but I can't(I says why in my other post)

Years
That is simply because I have not implemented footprints in the sand. However, that is easy to implement. Look for the function "pbFieldMovementOnStepTaken" in the script section PokemonField. I would have implemented it, it's just that I don't have any sand footprint animations available.

Also, I have fixed a bug where surfing can end in the middle of a map. That's because the terrain tag was determined for the wrong tile. Replace "getFacingTile" method in the script section PokemonMap with the following;

Code:
 def getFacingTile(direction=nil)
  x=$game_player.x
  y=$game_player.y
  id=$game_map.map_id
  direction=$game_player.direction if direction==nil
  case direction
   when 2
    y+=1
   when 4
    x-=1
   when 6
    x+=1
   when 8
    y-=1
   else
    return [$game_map.map_id,x,y]
  end
  if $game_map.valid?(x,y)
   return [$game_map.map_id,x,y]
  end
  conns=MapFactoryHelper.getMapConnections
  for conn in conns
   if conn[0]==id
    newX=(x+conn[4]-conn[1])
    newY=(y+conn[5]-conn[2])
    next if newX<0 || newY<0
    dims=MapFactoryHelper.getMapDims(conn[3])
    next if x>=dims[0] || y>=dims[1]
    return [conn[3],newX,newY]
   elsif conn[3]==id
    newX=(x+conn[1]-conn[4])
    newY=(y+conn[2]-conn[5])
    next if newX<0 || newY<0
    dims=MapFactoryHelper.getMapDims(conn[0])
    next if newX>=dims[0] || newY>=dims[1]
    return [conn[0],newX,newY]
   end
  end
  return nil
 end

I had some unique results with this script. It did not work for me going from left to right. But if i was on the right map it let me go left but once i got beyond the point where I could not see the map on the right it was gone when I tried going back.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
hi guyz, iv'e been using the starter kit but when i do the playtest i get this error:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: ArgumentError

PokeBattle_Battle:352:in `initialize'

PokemonField:382:in `new'

PokemonField:382:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:688:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Game_Player*:623:in `update_old'

Walk/Run:57:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:97:in `loop'

Scene_Map:110:in `update'

Scene_Map:66:in `main'

OK

and when i try to use the editor i get this error:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

SpriteWindow:17:in `pbGetDecisionSE'

SpriteWindow:1477:in `update'

SpriteWindow:1665:in `update'

SpriteWindow:2408:in `update'

EditorMain:28:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:27:in `loop'

EditorMain:39:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:26:in `loop'

EditorMain:94:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:101

OK

could u please tel me how to fix this.... i deleted all ur maps accept the intro so that could be it..... plz help!!!!

:'(:'(:'(

for the first problem, edit the encounter.txt file, because you are walking around on a map that has a cave function in it, and you have no pokemon, the cave function is making you get into pokemon battles, and not having any pokemon while getting into battles is what is causing your problem.

Thanks but it still didn't fix the editor...

P.S. can some1 make me a script so i can take photos in my game and then they can be published in a newspaper, witch gets deliverd to your house daily!

~EDIT~

OMG 1 ERROR AFTER ANOTHER!!! now i get this error after i teleport from the intro...

Pokemon Essentials

Game_Map*:52:in `load_data'

Game_Map*:52:in `setup'

PokemonMap:710:in `getMap'

PokemonMap:837:in `setMapsInRange'

PokemonMap:831:in `each'

PokemonMap:831:in `setMapsInRange'

Resolution*:17:in `display_x='

Resolution*:9:in `center'

Game_Player*:410:in `moveto'

Scene_Map:216:in `transfer_player'

OK

firstly, please don't ask for custom scripts, and secondly, O.0 why do you want to put a picture in the newspaper of your game, you know that cost money right?

and lastly/thirdly, edited the "connections.txt" file. the error is saying that you have a connection from one map to another and yet one of those maps don't exist.

Last edited:

Guardian1239

I have much to learn.
Years
I've been working on my game for a couple of days, and everything was working good. Then, after I changed a the Pokemon file and added the events to give the player the starter Pokemon, I got an error when I tried playing the game I was working on:
Code:
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 4, key Moves
2,TACKLE,3,CHARM,6,TAILWHIP,10,BUBBLE,15,SLAM,21,WATERGUN

Compiler:173:in `csvPosInt!'
Compiler:2180:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2165:in `each'
Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2163:in `loop'
Compiler:2237:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2152:in `each'
Compiler:2152:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2151:in `each'
Compiler:2151:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
So I looked at the file and it seemed OK. I closed it and tried again, but got this:
Code:
SpriteWindow:585:in `load_data'
SpriteWindow:585:in `pbRgssOpen'
Compiler:309:in `readItemList'
PokemonLoad:240:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:228:in `loop'
PokemonLoad:300:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
Scene_Intro:133:in `to_title_update'
Scene_Intro:62:in `main'
Main:33:in `mainFunction'
Main:22:in `pbCriticalCode'
I checked to make sure the file Data/items.dat is still there, and everything seems in order. Any idea what's wrong?

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
Well, I just downloaded the latest version, because I wanted to see the new changes. I found out that everything looked OK, and was better than expected. I realized that the program was running exceptionally slow for the map I was on, and decided to take a look at the scripts. All I can say it, you need to fix them, Poccil.

The scripts for Pokemon Essentials are, in total, the biggest mess I have ever seen. Not only is everything disorganized, uncommented, and abbreviated, the scripts are so tangled that the processor is jumping from script to script like a hot potato from hand to hand. My recommendation is to start up a new project, and rework the scripts from scratch, using the current ones as an idea, but not as a base. Not only that, but I'm almost certain that contained within is also a rat's warren of now defunct, unused scripting that should be removed.

Yes, the scripts work, but they are nowhere near perfect. The jumping from place to place slows down a processor like a map full of events, (including on a half-a-year-old machine), and the lack of comments or intelligible command names creates a daunting task for editors, even for you to edit, Poccil. (Yes, I can tell what most of the commands are, but they could do without the constant prefix "PB" and the unnecessary names) Overall, I thing that although the scripting is functional, it needs a lot of work.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm just pointing out that these scripts create obvious porblems. They slow down computers, they're half-legible, and they make no sense in their structure or format.

Also, i finally found the clock script that was one of the reasons I downloaded the game. Is it OK if I take an edited version of that script and use it (with credit) in a kit I'm making? (If you need to know what I'm doing with it, just PM me, Poccil)

As always, thanks for the great kit. I'm just saying that it could be a better, faster kit.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Well, I just downloaded the latest version, because I wanted to see the new changes. I found out that everything looked OK, and was better than expected. I realized that the program was running exceptionally slow for the map I was on, and decided to take a look at the scripts. All I can say it, you need to fix them, Poccil.

The scripts for Pokemon Essentials are, in total, the biggest mess I have ever seen. Not only is everything disorganized, uncommented, and abbreviated, the scripts are so tangled that the processor is jumping from script to script like a hot potato from hand to hand. My recommendation is to start up a new project, and rework the scripts from scratch, using the current ones as an idea, but not as a base. Not only that, but I'm almost certain that contained within is also a rat's warren of now defunct, unused scripting that should be removed.

Yes, the scripts work, but they are nowhere near perfect. The jumping from place to place slows down a processor like a map full of events, (including on a half-a-year-old machine), and the lack of comments or intelligible command names creates a daunting task for editors, even for you to edit, Poccil. (Yes, I can tell what most of the commands are, but they could do without the constant prefix "PB" and the unnecessary names) Overall, I thing that although the scripting is functional, it needs a lot of work.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm just pointing out that these scripts create obvious porblems. They slow down computers, they're half-legible, and they make no sense in their structure or format.

Also, i finally found the clock script that was one of the reasons I downloaded the game. Is it OK if I take an edited version of that script and use it (with credit) in a kit I'm making? (If you need to know what I'm doing with it, just PM me, Poccil)

As always, thanks for the great kit. I'm just saying that it could be a better, faster kit.

i have a 3 and a half year old pc, and the starter kit doesn't run slow on it. o.0

Jirbytaylor

is too lazy to make a new ava
Years
@Glitchfinder: I don't find the system to run slow at all, only on a large map (100+ tiles).
But I do agree the scripts are a horrible mess. It's no wonder I can't find things in them and have to ask here. Organising the images to places more than just the Pictures/ folder is a good idea too.
In addition, several Picture/ files are not used at all.
If you sort out these two problems, I'm sure both the professionals and RM-newbs will be happy. As well as the professionals trying to push through the newbs to get their complex and non-simple questions through. [/end RM-newb-idiocy rant]

I now have a problem. In my other RMXP projects, I can create translucent water just fine. Not so with this kit:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2774/weirdwaterac3.png
Top is in game, bottom is in editor. I don't know what you did, but semi transparency seems to get laid over a lot until it's opaque again. At least, that's what I expect is happening.

On a good note, thanks Poccil and Wichu for the help. Now specific time-of-day scenes and Fable-like bed-time-change-system shall be gett-n~

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
Years
for the first problem, edit the encounter.txt file, because you are walking around on a map that has a cave function in it, and you have no pokemon, the cave function is making you get into pokemon battles, and not having any pokemon while getting into battles is what is causing your problem.

firstly, please don't ask for custom scripts, and secondly, O.0 why do you want to put a picture in the newspaper of your game, you know that cost money right?

and lastly/thirdly, edited the "connections.txt" file. the error is saying that you have a connection from one map to another and yet one of those maps don't exist.

Thanks but what i ment by the newspaper thing is to have an in-game newspaper that you get deliverd to your in-game mail box!!! and you take pictures with ur In-game camera and if their good they can get published into the !!!IN-GAME!!! newspaper!

anywayz... i need a program that you can use to make your own tileset. like the graph is allready set out for you so you just import the pics and put em in place and with the graph you can put them in place accurately. is their such a program???!!!

Last edited:
Years

I have to agree with you about the slowness of Pokemon Essentials. I have a brand new computer (less than two weeks old) with a quad core processor and 8GB of RAM and i have a map that runs very sluggishly. I was quite surprised to notice that since it has no events on it, just some water(about 1/5 of the map). I wish I could tell you what I think about the scripts but I don't have a clue how to code in RMXP.

Edited because:
I hope you meant 8GB of RAM, not MB.

Last edited:

Guardian1239

I have much to learn.
Years
I made a character for a door to a Pokemon Center/Mart. No credit is necessary if you use it. I just want to help people out. And poccil, you should stick it in the next update. ;)

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
@Guardian1239 - you missed a frame
doorslide.png

i also ripped the double sliding door animation ;)
doorslidedouble.png

feel free to use them

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
I have to agree with you about the slowness of Pokemon Essentials. I have a brand new computer (less than two weeks old) with a quad core processor and 8MB of RAM and i have a map that runs very sluggishly. I was quite surprised to notice that since it has no events on it, just some water(about 1/5 of the map). I wish I could tell you what I think about the scripts but I don't have a clue how to code in RMXP.

One question: Is that new computer a Vista? If it is, Vista has been proven to be slower at doing everything. (Except copying files from one part of a hard drive to another, for some reason) That could be a part of the issue for you. Also, I hope you meant 8GB of RAM, not MB. (Which would make your computer a 64-bit operating system)

Atomic Reactor

why don't you guys put those in the Game Dev. Resources thread?
that would be more appropriate..

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Thanks but what i ment by the newspaper thing is to have an in-game newspaper that you get deliverd to your in-game mail box!!! and you take pictures with ur In-game camera and if their good they can get published into the !!!IN-GAME!!! newspaper!

anywayz... i need a program that you can use to make your own tileset. like the graph is allready set out for you so you just import the pics and put em in place and with the graph you can put them in place accurately. is their such a program???!!!

Oh, that sounds cool, but kind of hard...

anyway, yes, there is a program to make tilesets, it's called tileset maker (there are 4 diffrent programs with this name, 1) allows you to draw your own tileset and shows you how they look, 2) 1 allows for you to take tiles from other tilesets and put them into your own to make a new tileset. 3) alows you to make tilesets out of pictures 4) well, it's kind of like GIMP, with pre set pictures for you to choose from and edit at your will.

sorry, i don't have any links, i haven't used those programs in so long. O.o

I have to agree with you about the slowness of Pokemon Essentials. I have a brand new computer (less than two weeks old) with a quad core processor and 8MB of RAM and i have a map that runs very sluggishly. I was quite surprised to notice that since it has no events on it, just some water(about 1/5 of the map). I wish I could tell you what I think about the scripts but I don't have a clue how to code in RMXP.

with only 8 rams i would think that you couldn't run word on it. can you take a look and tell us what the actual ram is? becuase i would be amased if it was under 500MB for a new pc. considering 500MB ram is average.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back