The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Swords Dance time! Who is better equipped to use the sword, so to speak?
Sawsbuck 16 64.00%
Leavanny 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Forever
let it go

Advertise here
Skipped last week because chances are we were all into X/Y last week and skipped yesterday because graduating uni! Nevertheless, we have a match-up of two strong grass attackers in the tier - with one being used a lot, and the other being used very little (also we might only have a few more matchups, iirc).

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Sawsbuck because I don't like the 4x fire and 4x flying weakness on Leavanny. Two 4x weaknesses make it very vulnerable to common attacks. :\
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Hoenn
Asylum
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I like Sawsbucks design but I chose Leavanny since using it in Black 2 and found it so useful, I've really grown to like this Pokemon since this.

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Vote goes for Sawsbuck for the better movepool and the lack of two 4x weaknesses. Also, Sap Sipper and Chlorophyll are really good abilities for the deer.
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I love Leavanny and it can really pull its weight for my teams, but Sawsbuck has proven more useful on my teams since I don't need to set up with him. Sap Sipper is also an awesome ability. I'm sorry Leav you're so cute but I can't vote for you ):

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I use Leavanny more in-game because its movepool compliments its Attack over its Special Attack, but competitively I'll probably always pick Sawsbuck over it. Jump Kick is good, a lack of weakness to Stealth Rock is good, Horn Leech is good, its abilities are good. Leavanny's got a good number of resistances, but those 4x weaknesses are a bit of a turn-off even when matched up against Sawsbuck's Fighting weakness.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

I do like both the designs of these two but I'm going with Sawsbuck, mainly cos I used one on my Black team (before replacing her with a Breloom) and unlike Leavanny, it has no nasty 4x weaknesses (Leavanny will basically die from a Fire or Flying attack) and it gets cool moves like Jump Kick, hard-hitting Return and also Horn Leech to deal damage while healing at the same time. Sawsbuck also has very handy abilities - Chlorophyll (a great Sun team abuser) and Sap Sipper (makes the opponent want to think twice before using Grass attacks cos they give it a 1.5x Attack boost).

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter

Old January 20th, 2013, 02:42 PM
pokemanmdj
Random Passerby

I like Sawsbuck a bit more than Leavanny. Sawsbuck has proven to be very useful, both in-game and somewhat competitive with it's impressive stats.

Leavanny- I mean, sure, it destroys everything after a SD, but it has those horrid x4 weaknesses- not to mention Sawsbuck is faster than it with Leech Horn.

Honestly though, I don't use both of them too much, but I prefer Sawsbuck.
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
PlatinumDawnFtw
Vocaloid fan~

Leavanny for me.. I never found Sawsbuck very useful and Leavanny equipped with Leaf Blade and X-Scissor is pretty powerful.
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Sawsbuck! I used it ingame and it was soo much more useful than I thought it would be! I also really like it's design and although Leavanny was so-so useful, Sawsbuck is way better.
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:48 PM
The Dark Avenger
An Enigmagma

Nature: Adamant
I actually really enjoy both of these pokemon quite equally!
I tend to prefer more regal/elegant pokemon, so these two definitely take the cake.
The only reason why I gave the edge to Sawsbuck was the fact that Leavanny's sprite doesn't do it justice. I would have like to see less heavy black lines and more emphatic facial features.

For me, the sprite work does not convey the same leavanny from the anime.
Spoiler:
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Starry Windy
Cute, yet Strong!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I picked Sawsbuck because I like its seasonal designs, and its immunity to Ghost attacks is also a plus point.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Still Windvisible atm 'cos I'm still working on a better health.
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I went for Sawsbuck. Normal/Grass has better coverage than Bug/Grass, which gets resisted by Fire, Flying, Poison and Steel types. Also, Sawsbuck looks great whatever the season is, as well as being a deer, my favorite animal.
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:02 AM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
While I do prefer Leavanny's design a little bit more, my choice is easily Sawsbuck. I absolutely hate using anything that has a potential 4x weakness (Leavanny has 2), and I much preferred Sawsbuck's movepool, anyway.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: BUG // ROCK
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:14 PM
BloodyRoyaltyandNarwhals
Normal with a hint of oddity.

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BloodyRoyaltyandNarwhals
Swords Dance + Double Edge. Enough said; Sawsbuck is awesome.
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:44 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I like Sawsbuck better because it has a better movepool than Leavanny's. All four of its seasonal forms are very creative too.

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Arlo

Missed having one of these last week. Just sayin'....

And... this is another tough one for me. Leavanny gets the early nod, since it's far and away one of my favorites from this gen. Its 4x weaknesses don't bother me in the least, since I don't battle competitively and in-game, getting away from a weakness is just a matter of painlessly switching, so the weaknesses just don't matter. And I'd switch a Sawsbuck away from Fires or Flyers too, so that evens out anyway. I just like Leavanny's "swashbuckler" design, and have used one in every playthrough I've done in Unova yet, ever since the first time I evolved one, starting from the Sewaddle I caught in Pinwheel Forest on my very first time through White, and used it all the way through the E4 and as my regular lead on the Battle Subway. It's a great design with two awesome STABs. And it's the only shiny I've caught so far in Unova - evolved from a Swadloon I caught in Lostlorn Forest in White. I've currently got one on my team in Black 2, where it just finished demolishing Clay's gym almost singlehandedly.

BUT - Sawsbuck is awesome too, and very pleasantly so, since Deerling is cute and all, but I just didn't expect such an awesome evolution. I liked Deerling from the first time I saw it, and I love its moveset, since it's appropriately fragile but surprisingly powerful, and its two main attacks are a recoil move and a miss-and-take-damage move (and Deerling takes about half of its total points from a single miss). But the one thing it needed was a good physical grass attack. I looked it up online and saw that it gets one in Horn Leech, but even with that, I still wasn't expecting all that much. But man, Sawsbuck is awesome - far tougher and bulkier than I expected. Just between Return and Horn Leech, there's not much that can stand up to it. And the winter form in particular is beautiful.

But Leavanny still comes out just a bit ahead. Just a bit...
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
BlackNekos

I've only used Leavanny... And while yes it was a bad choice for Skylar's gym, it was still a very good pokemon to use for me.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:37 PM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Leavanny is my pick, I love how it's design is and how creative they made it. It's pretty reliable during the games too, early on, till the end.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:49 AM
Correspondence

I'm going to choose Sawbusk because it has a better movepool and its seasonal form changes are cool.Also, i don't like the 4x weakness Leavanny has to flying types.
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Pendraflare
If you think i'm burning out, I never am.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Posting for the GT thread, but anyway I like Sawsbuck more. The idea of a deer that changes based on the seasons is neat, and my favorite of them is the Autumn form. Normal/Grass is an interesting typing considering you don't see Normal paired with much other than Flying.

I don't really care much for Leavanny, I like it, just not one of my favorites from this generation.
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Mega Venusaur
Muncher

Nature: Bold
I would have to be in favour of Sawsbuck. I don't like how Leavanny is extremely week, especially the fact that her Grass/Bug Type causes her to be 4x weakness against Fire and Flying, making it extremely vulnerable.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Leavanny is somewhat.. creepy, haha. Which stinks because Sewaddle is too adorable.

So yes, I prefer Sawsbuck and it's high up there on my favorite grass types list. Changing with seasons and being a deer earns it many brownie points.

Spoiler:

preeetty

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Yeah bugs just creep me out too much, although I like Leavanny as it's a strong bug pokémon, and I just loved my Eviolite-equipped Swadloon in Black.

But definitely more on the Sawsbuck side of things - great pictures, I take it that's screengrabs from an anime episode? The fact that I see wild deer out of my window / running in front of my car almost weekly gives me more of an affinity to them. Plus I found Normal/Grass to be more interesting than Bug/Grass, and the seasonal changing thing is pretty awesome. For a pokémon that shows off a gimmick, it's no Castform - who I also like, but had to plan my battles around getting it involved but not killed on Emerald - as it can actually hold its own in battle.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:28 PM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

I'm saying Sawsbuck because I've used one before and know it can be a strong battler, plus the whole season thing is awesome Not taking anything away from Leavanny though, Burgh's was pretty tough
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here