• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ooka and I just had a 154-turn neck-to-neck battle in which Bronzong didn't have a chance to struggle quick enough, unlike Roselia on Ooka's which managed to Stuggle at the right time, allowing Dugtrio to come in and take the win, which ultimately lost the match for me.

You couldn't have picked a winner it was that close!!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Yeah, Tornadus was a beast in that match, Rhydon only lasted so long against it. I'm glad I managed to get rocks up. But yeah, was a really long, great match.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If you hadn't have rested on the turn before, I don't know what I would've done! To me, I was about to die at the hands of Rhydon... it was that bad.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
I don't personally think the speed drop will be that troublesome. Run LO and you got something like Dragon Claw or Outrage/Earthquake/Extremespeed/V-Create. ES gives you priority to make up for the speed loss and V-Create lets you poop on Skarmory/Forry etc.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't personally think the speed drop will be that troublesome. Run LO and you got something like Dragon Claw or Outrage/Earthquake/Extremespeed/V-Create. ES gives you priority to make up for the speed loss and V-Create lets you poop on Skarmory/Forry etc.

Or Rayquaza can opt for a Choice set. Choice sets tend to switch a lot, so the (Special) Defense and Speed drops become almost a non-issue there as well.

Years
I was thinking of a Dragon Dance set lol. Can negate speed drops with Dragon Dance which could be quite good. Can always give it a White Herb too.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I'd probably go with PlatDude's suggestion of Choice items because really, while I can handle defense drops of CC, I wouldn't be able to handle Speed drops unless they're defensively based like Quagsire & Curse. :x

Idk just having to DD after every attack would be annoying to do imo unless you do have screens up in that time.

Then again that's assuming I would play Ubers which I pretty much doubt I would, but still!

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Or Rayquaza can opt for a Choice set. Choice sets tend to switch a lot, so the (Special) Defense and Speed drops become almost a non-issue there as well.

But being weak to rocks makes switching an issue lol

Personally, I'd run a set similar to Dragonite:

-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
-V-Create

After a DD, you have a free V-Create to launch off. If you get the chance you can DD again if you ever drop below your normal speed. If you drop below it again cause of V-Create, well, it wouldn't really matter then because Extremespeed with your attack boosts is going to hurt.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
But being weak to rocks makes switching an issue lol

Personally, I'd run a set similar to Dragonite:

-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
-V-Create

After a DD, you have a free V-Create to launch off. If you get the chance you can DD again if you ever drop below your normal speed. If you drop below it again cause of V-Create, well, it wouldn't really matter then because Extremespeed with your attack boosts is going to hurt.

That's what Rapid Spin support is for.

Still, I wouldn't use that set; even though ExtremeSpeed makes up for V-Create's Speed drops, it might not be enough to take down an opponent in some cases and V-Create's (Special) Defense drops make it difficult to set up another DD. True, you can switch, but SR causes problems (again, Rapid Spin support is needed).

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
That's what Rapid Spin support is for.

Still, I wouldn't use that set; even though ExtremeSpeed makes up for V-Create's Speed drops, it might not be enough to take down an opponent in some cases and V-Create's (Special) Defense drops make it difficult to set up another DD. True, you can switch, but SR causes problems (again, Rapid Spin support is needed).

It's just mostly my style shining through haha. I hate switching and I'm not a big fan of the choice items since they lock you in. The set I mentioned simply fit my style of play the best lol.

and I've don't really see a Choiced set sitting well with Rayquaza. It has a good list of resistances and an immunity, but it's defenses aren't all that amazing. Even with RS support, I don't see Rayquaza surviving all that long. Unless you Scarf if for revenge killing purposes in which case I feel like it's simply outclassed by Garchomp, especially if your Scarfed boost in speed is null after just one V-Create. But I guess it could work if you switch it out immediately, who knows? lol

Too much switching.. I don't like >< hahaha

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
sd would probably be a better option than dragon dance, you're losing speed anyway, so you might as well as hit as hard as you can as fast as your can.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
sd would probably be a better option than dragon dance, you're losing speed anyway, so you might as well as hit as hard as you can as fast as your can.

The problem I see with SD is that Rayquaza's speed to begin with isn't that great. After a V-Create, not only will it lost speed, it'll also lose it's already average defenses. This just opens it up for revenge killing by.. Well, a ton of things. This would cause you to have to switch in and out constantly. If you run a set like this, you might as well go with a Choice Item and forgo the ability to switch attacks.

Besides, if after a SD and V-Create, you plan on firing off ExtremeSpeeds, the opponent could easily exploit the fact that a Normal attack is all you have in your arsenal that poses a moderate threat.

In any case, even with the threat of V-Create, after Rayquaza using it just once, I can see a banded Scizor easily coming in and offing it with Bullet Punch. Especially if it only stands a chance using ExtremeSpeed, unless +2 ES can OHKO Scizor (I haven't done any calculations).

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Or just run Expert Belt and fake CB. Hit something with V-Create like Ferrothorn, kill it off, then they bring in something weak (Deo-A) to revenge and surprise them with Extremespeed, if nothing else you do a lot of damage.

In the case of Scizor I'd just switch, they won't be bringing it in much with VCreate floating around.

Years
Expert Belt seems nice, but I think Gamer's suggestion is probably the best, not sure why you'd waste time boosting speed when you'll eventually lose it; +2 attack allows you to smash something with V0Create/STAB and then wreak additional havoc with Espeed.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
EB or just slap a CB on the sucker. V-Create makes statting up pointless.

Rayquaza@Choice Band / Expert Belt
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- V-Create
- Earthquake / Waterfall
- Extremespeed

Yeah!!

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Question to everyone who battles competitively: Who all takes the time and patience to breed for perfect IV's? I am considering getting into battling in OU competitively, and I don't really want to take the time and breed for perfect IV's. I know it can really change the potential of your team if they are absolutely maxed out. But still....it takes way too long, even with the flawless Ditto + power item method is used.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Question to everyone who battles competitively: Who all takes the time and patience to breed for perfect IV's? I am considering getting into battling in OU competitively, and I don't really want to take the time and breed for perfect IV's. I know it can really change the potential of your team if they are absolutely maxed out. But still....it takes way too long, even with the flawless Ditto + power item method is used.

Actually, most of us use Pokemon Online, which is a battle simulator meaning you wouldn't have to breed/Ev train etc. You just go on to it make a team and get battling. We even have our own server on it. Although, some people do battle competitively using their cartridges. Which people usually just RNG their Pokemon.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Yeah only a select few actually do that, hard-core breeders/traders etc. The only thing I really did in-game were EV's which were already a pain, so I'd just use PO if I were you, though it takes some getting used to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back