• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon AshGray Version (Beta 4.5 Released!!)

pokeman rawr

>NoOB<
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
i knew it was the end...

oh and when the new beta comes out do i just
patch it to the same game or patch a diffrent rom???

pokeman rawr

>NoOB<
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
so id have to start over?

or can't i just save the file and load my game
on the new beta?

sorry for all the questions im new to this... ; )

TRXO

PokeGames master
Years
so id have to start over?

or can't i just save the file and load my game
on the new beta?

sorry for all the questions im new to this... ; )

You can always try to patch it to a new rom in a different folder, give it the same name you used on the hack you played, replace the old hack with the new one and load the previous saving, although it may cause problems, and then you need to start from the beginning.

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2010
When you switch pokemon during your first Team Rocket encounter at the Viridian City Pokemon center, the game will spazz out.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2023
The game froze after I beat Duplica and left the house. Don't know if its a glitch but now I have to restart back in saffron :/.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
So it was ASM =) I thought it could be the case =D
Awesome again Metapod =)

And as I promised here's my list of bugs and cool things =)

Bugs:
PC in player's room stays active even after being shut down. And "What would you like to do?" stays on screen.

One sentence in Gary's talk outside of Oak's lab is outta bar.
Also when you receive pokeballs sentence is outta bar.
But that's because of the thing I've named myself Satoshi instead of Ash. All sentences that are outta bar are because of my long name.

You misspelled enemies in Melanie's script also myself in Damien's talk before battle.

You should've made Butterfree's mate pink =) That'd be cuter =D
You should've added Gengar and Gastly to Haunter's toy room.
I think that you should put stronger and higher leveled pokemon on Route 8 so the exping for Sabrina's battle would be better.

You misspelled Machop in P1 Championship's room in text of one karate man.

This might be more of funny thing then bug. Everytime you talk with Lara (when she is inside ranch) she repeats the same sentence and same movement. So that means you can "kick" her outta screen xD

In Ponyta's race you can be run over by the enemy guy. (But you will lose race so it doesn't matter xD)

It was kinda weird having to go to Safari Zone to find Tommy =D I'd put him somewhere else =) So you don't have to go to Fuchsia =)

Cool things:
Awesome thing with pajamas xD
Fantastic script when you select pokemon xD

Ho-Oh's sprite is beautiful.

Brock's siblings are cute xD

Oh Gastly from Maiden's Peak is extra cute xD

Adoption of Pokemon is way too nice to be described... Beautiful idea.

Erika's gym script is beautiful as well. =) (By the way you misspelled releasing there)

Digital World is AWESOME! I'm sure you were working hard on it.
Porygon's talk is FANTASTIC xD I really laughed xD xD xD

Thanks, I appreciate the in-depth insight. I'll be sure to work on the bugs. :)

Hey! You may know me from :P I'm SanderRadionov5299 btw. Well anyway i really love your game and all, but i haven't seen you complete any new episodes in quite a while! :P But still i think your reason is a good one (Like being lazy or a vacation... or... being lazy...) But reply To let me (And everyone else) know that you still ARE working on it! :) Cya!

I'm taking a break. To finish the last beta, I had to spend most of my free time when I didn't have work on it. I'm going to spend my free time doing some other things for a while, since I'm kind of drained from hacking right now. That way, I'll be more inspired to do hacking later, and I won't feel like I'm forcing it.

you need a ROM .gba file of fire red which if you google you'll find rename the ROM to be the same as the IPS or vise versa and play the .gba file with something like VBA and it should work.

@metapod: out of curiosity how long/much effort does it take to do a episode, i know some take more requirement than others but in general.

A very basic episode could take a day (if I spend a few hours on it - say five - in a day). Most episodes take a few days depending on how many hours I get to work on it. With my job, I only have about two days a week off to work, and maybe a couple hours before or after work (if I'm up for it and depending on my schedule). It's not just simply writing the script - I have to write the script and create and insert any new sprites needed for the episode, then I have to test the script in-game, then I have to figure out why the episode isn't working correctly (because it almost never works exactly the way I intend it to) and then rewrite the script and continue to troubleshoot until I get it right.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
"One sentence in Gary's talk outside of Oak's lab is outta bar.
Also when you receive pokeballs sentence is outta bar.
But that's because of the thing I've named myself Satoshi instead of Ash. All sentences that are outta bar are because of my long name."

In G/S/C the number of letters available to be given for the name of the hero is determined by one single byte. If it's the same in FR too, you could just try to find that byte (using documents) and change it.

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 1, 2019
Ive played this game until i reach a blank grass map, so i think i hit the end of the beta, but it is absolutely amazing.
one thing that bothers me is ash's backsprite, and you gotta find a way to prevent bulbasaur, charmander and squrtile from evolving, cause bulba and squrtle dont ever evolve in the anemie, and charmander cant make it to charizard, cause it nvr listens as a charmeleon, which even thought it dosnt listen to ash, it isnt supposed to evolve for a long time after it reaches lv 16. but no other problems ive seen.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2023
Ive played this game until i reach a blank grass map, so i think i hit the end of the beta, but it is absolutely amazing.
one thing that bothers me is ash's backsprite, and you gotta find a way to prevent bulbasaur, charmander and squrtile from evolving, cause bulba and squrtle dont ever evolve in the anemie, and charmander cant make it to charizard, cause it nvr listens as a charmeleon, which even thought it dosnt listen to ash, it isnt supposed to evolve for a long time after it reaches lv 16. but no other problems ive seen.

You could keep it form evolving by pressing b. As long as it stays charmander it will obey. So you could raise it to 35 let it evolve into chamelion then deal with it for one level until it evolves into charizard. I just keep it as a charmander for the time since having it evolve would be useless unless you want to go 100% like the anime. The way I play it is the choices that ash should have made like evolving pikachu.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
how's going the production of this game... i really want to continue in the story...^^

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
I'm sorry but this hack in my opinion is somewhat graphically unappealing and very strewn about. First of all your maps, I mean come on those are simply horrid. The first route is just grass strewn everywhere with a few paths and its just blehh.... I could not see terrain like that at all ever.

As soon as I got in game I was just turned off.

While your scripting seems to be pretty good I really would stress the importance of graphics.

Although it seems enough of PC has fallen in love with this... I myself find this to be sub-par...

Sorry to sound so rude but this hack in my opinion is horrid.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I'm sorry but this hack in my opinion is somewhat graphically unappealing and very strewn about. First of all your maps, I mean come on those are simply horrid. The first route is just grass strewn everywhere with a few paths and its just blehh.... I could not see terrain like that at all ever.

As soon as I got in game I was just turned off.

While your scripting seems to be pretty good I really would stress the importance of graphics.

Although it seems enough of PC has fallen in love with this... I myself find this to be sub-par...

Sorry to sound so rude but this hack in my opinion is horrid.

I agree that visually this game is a massive eye-sore, but it is very well put together. The scripts are amazing to say the least.

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
I'm currently stuck at Sabrina. Unless I do some massive level grinding to get Pikachu from L26 to L41 or so, so that I can outspeed Kadabra and Thunder Wave it, it's impossible for me to win (unless I could somehow get 3 critical hits in a row with Pikachu's and Pidgeotto's Quick Attacks with help from my Revive). Is there anything I'm missing to get Haunter to come back and get Kadabra to incapacitate itself laughing?

Back at Maiden's Peak, is there some way to identify Gastly?

By the way, you do know that Ash's Butterfree is almost certainly a boy (seeing as it went after a pink Butterfree), right? Oh, and "seven" in Spanish is "siete," not "sieta." Since when does Misty's Staryu know Counter, and shouldn't Jessie's Ekans/Arbok know Dig?

At first, I started my game as a girl to see what would happen, and I like how you used the "Ashley" disguise, but the pajama sprite is still Ash, and you turn back into Ash when you get dressed after getting Pikachu. Also, the female battle sprite has color issues.

Any thoughts on forcing us to release Butterfree? I saved, released it to see the scene (the other Butterfree should be pink), and reloaded the save so I could keep it. By the way, that jerk with the Raticate messed up Butterfree's moveset. Unless the Move Relearner is in the current version, I've lost Butterfree's Sleep Powder.

Do you think you could give us access to some Everstones, as I've gotten tired of canceling the evolutions every time Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle gain a level? Yes, Charmander is supposed to evolve, but there's no point in doing that before the hack gets expanded to "Charizard Chills."

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
By the way, you do know that Ash's Butterfree is almost certainly a boy (seeing as it went after a pink Butterfree), right? Oh, and "seven" in Spanish is "siete," not "sieta." Since when does Misty's Staryu know Counter, and shouldn't Jessie's Ekans/Arbok know Dig?"
Yes, I was rocked by that countering staryu too! That was the most painful gym ever! Especially since, unlike the original Fire Red, all I had to help me train was a bunch of weak Ekans and Rattata. In the end Pikachu being absent definitely hurt my chances. Also I do see potential for a game breaking oversight. If you fall into the holes at the secret gardens more times than you have escape ropes you are undoubtedly screwed. I was kinda disappointed that no Krabby event was present, same with an event for a Caterpie.

Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2021
Yes, I was rocked by that countering staryu too! That was the most painful gym ever! Especially since, unlike the original Fire Red, all I had to help me train was a bunch of weak Ekans and Rattata. In the end Pikachu being absent definitely hurt my chances. Also I do see potential for a game breaking oversight. If you fall into the holes at the secret gardens more times than you have escape ropes you are undoubtedly screwed. I was kinda disappointed that no Krabby event was present, same with an event for a Caterpie.

You do know that you can catch a level 5 Caterpie somewhere between the entrance of Viridian Forest and the battle with Team Rocket, right?
Also, near Bill's Lighthouse, there's a little bit of beach with direct contact to the sea, just so you can catch the Krabby

Back