• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Gym Leaders did you hate?

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2015
I disliked Misty. Her damn water pulse always made me confused. And recover -.-
Along with Koga's Venamoth. Let's not even get on that damned Miltank...

Anyone else notice in 1st gen how Brock is a CM Punk fan? haha. Yes, I like wrestling, sue me ha

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Clair was one of the hardest leaders I've fought in G/S/C. At the time I was battling her, I used to have a level thirty-eight Typhlosion. It was my strongest Pokémon, and she used to be able to take it out instantly by allowing her Kingdra to use Surf. Noctowl was also one of my strongest, and her Dragonair was able to defeat it quite easily with Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. d:

Whitney was a hard opponent for me as well. Her Milktank was one of the toughest Pokémon I've ever faced. Every time I managed to get its health down, it used to restore itself to more than half of its HP with Milk Drink.

CronicHigh

All hail lord Goomy
Years
When I was 8 playing Yellow, Brock used to kill me until I wised up.

And as far as Whitney goes... I beat her and her OP Miltank on my first try ever and I've struggled since.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
Years
Whitney wasn't that hard, really. Get an Ampharos or a Kadabra and destroy it with Special attacks.

Brock was easy if you caught that Mankey next to Viridian City. Everybody seems to forget that.

My least favorite is Blue. But he is also my favorite. His party isn't type specific. I went in prepared for ground types, but instead I was up against Exeggutor. @n@

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
The first two gym leaders I think of right off the bat is Whitney(gen 2) and Brock(gen 1).

I think Whitney is obvious but Brock was hard because if you didn't choose bulbasaur or squirtle as your starter you would have a long battle with your charmander using ember. Plus, all the pokemon between pallet town and pewter city or bug, poison, flying, and electric types. The worst types against rock types.

Even though we're all old enough now to win no problem even with a charmander I still remember the day I battled my first gym leader(A.K.A Brock), I got a rude awakening. It was then that I realized that Pokemon doesn't mess around as far as difficulty goes.

Ah sweet memories :P

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Sabrina in Gen I was always tough for me to battle against and definitely Whitney & Clair in Gen II. Man they were beasts. I hated Whitney's Miltank and all of Clair's dragons.

Years
KOGA, HANDS DOWN. I had no problem with him in the Kanto portion of Crystal, but after beating Crystal I got Yellow (and eventually Emerald - I have a thing for the 3rds), and I was used to the Gen 2 thing of gym leaders being able to use items but only once per battle.

AND THEN I GET TO KOGA AND HE X EVADES HIS VENONAT LIKE EIGHT FREAKIN' TIMES. SO I'M POISONED AND I CAN'T HIT HIM AT ALL.

IT WAS GREAT.

TOTALLY.

I'M NOT STILL A BROKEN SHATTERED HUSK OF A HUMAN BEING, CAPABLE OF BREATHING, BUT INCAPABLE OF TRULY LIVING.

NOPE.

Years
I'm going to say Clair. The Kingdra she has gave me nightmares for a long time. It took me a long time to beat her originally as well. I do not want to think about her too much *shivers*

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I'm going to say Clair. The Kingdra she has gave me nightmares for a long time. It took me a long time to beat her originally as well. I do not want to think about her too much *shivers*

I hated her Kingdra so much

Even more though I hated Wallace's Kingdra in Emerald. I remember being down to a lv. 20 Shedinja vs his Kingdra who had already used double team... Nightmarish long battle.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Whitney is not bad, as there's two reasonably simple ways to beat her:

1) Machop, which you get in exchange for a Drowzee. With a minimum of grinding, you can overpower the whole gym with a single Pokemon, Whitney included.
2) Ghastly/Haunter. The only problem is that her Miltank has Rollout, which is a Rock move if I remember right, so it can hit your Ghost. However, if you can manage to get a Hypnosis off on it, you can usually either swap out to something better (like Machop) or teach it some Poison/Psychic moves during the levelup process so that it can damage the Miltank and maintain sleeplock on it.

The trainer that gives me trouble to this day is Morty actually. His Haunters are OK; his Gengar is usually what rips me a new one.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
I did not like facing Whitney and her miltank it took several hours to beat her i had great joy once i finally beat her.

I have a new, but understandable one: Lance of the Elite Four. I've now made my fifth run against the E4 in Gold, but his Aerodactyl...man, that Aerodactyl...

Back