• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New team idea, any suggestions?

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
I have an idea for a new team for Wi-Fi, which I've been thinking about for a while. I'm pretty new, so I kind of need help. Any suggestions? Thinking of removing Swampert for a special sweeper.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash - Jolly nature
Stealth Rock
Taunt
Earthquake
Rock Slide
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Forretress @ Leftovers - Relaxed nature
Spikes
Payback
Rapid Spin
Gyro Ball
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf - Naive nature
Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt
Explosion
Hidden Power Ice/Fire (If I can get right IVs... If not, then what?)

Salamence @ Life Orb - Naive Nature
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast
EVs: 4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk

Vaporeon @ Leftovers - Bold nature
Wish
Toxic
Surf
Protect
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Sp.Def

Gengar @ Life Orb - Timid nature
Shadow Ball
Protect
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Fire (If, again, I can get the right IVs for it)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe

Any good?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Focus Band is too unreliable, Focus Sash is much better. However, Leftovers or Shed Shell are superior items for Forretress, offering recovery or allows it to escape from Magnezone, respectively.

Brave Bird > Steel Wing, provides more coverage such as hitting Gyarados, Infernape (on the switch), and many others. You should really only use Steel Wing if you already have BB, even then other moves are more useful. Roost would probably be more helpful than Torment for recovery, since Skarmory will die pretty fast after switching in repeatedly without Leftovers.

Salamence needs Jolly nature (or Naive if you use Fire Blast), speed tying with Scarf Jirachi and Flygon after a DD is very significant. Fire Blast > Aerial Ace for Skarmory and Bronzong, Aerial Ace doesn't hit anything the other moves don't.

Earthquake from Dusknoir doesn't deal much damage so it would be a waste of turn setting it up Gravity imo. :\ DynamicPunch would be more useful and is very annoying for the opponent so it makes setting up Gravity kind of worthwhile. With Trick Room, it looks like it's doing too much and nothing really appreciates it other than Swampert who doesn't need it tbh; Will-O-Wisp would be better to wall physical threats and Pursuit users better.

tl;dr:

Leftovers or Shed Shell for Forretress
Brave Bird > Steel Wing and Roost > Torment for Skarmory
Naive > Adamant for Salamence and Fire Blast > Aerial Ace
DynamicPunch > EQ and Will-O-Wisp > Trick Room for Dusknoir

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Alright, I'll go ahead and change that.
Edit: Dynamic Punch can only be taught to Dusclops in Emrald, which I don't have. What should I replace it with?

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Alright, I'll go ahead and change that.
Edit: Dynamic Punch can only be taught to Dusclops in Emrald, which I don't have. What should I replace it with?

Well, if you can't get DynamicPunch, then really having Gravity on Dusknoir isn't too awesome, really. I mean, it's nice because it pulls all of those fliers onto the ground to take the Spikes/T-Spikes damage, but...

If it's really impossible, you can run Earthquake, just to much less effect.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Really no team synergy at all which isn't helped by the fact that a couple of the mons just aren't very good no matter how you tweak the movesets.

First of all, Skarmory is total dead weight. It accomplishes absolutely nothing. Skarmory and Forretress both occupy the same role essentially, and even though you're not using skarmory as a Spiker, you really should be or you just shouldn't be using it at all seeing as it can't really wall any top physical threat at all.

More dead weight includes Dusknoir and Umbreon. The only way I see you winning at all is getting a Mean Look pass to set up Salamence on something that can't stop it from setting up, but you're better off just using Magnezone to trap Steel-types. Dusknoir is basically entirely outclassed by Rotom-A (or Spiritomb even given the WiFi restriction), and honestly Trick Room just cripples your only threatening Pokemon, while Swampert can't even take advantage of it since it takes so long to set up. Umbreon just doesn't accomplish much, and honestly, it doesn't even have Taunt to shut down stall teams.

Most OU threats easily have their way with this team. Salamence, Gyarados, Tyranitar, etc. can easily overpower your Pokemon, so defensively it's not so good either =(.

Outside of that, the number one flaw is that there just isn't a strategy. Six mons thrown together just doesn't cut it, sadly. There are some hints of synergy, like Gravity + hazards, but the overall strategy needs to be more organized and focused. To do this, you will first need to scrap this team, sadly. It just isn't going to win against a well-built team. However, there are some Pokemon that you can build around.

DD Salamence is a good place to start. Its raw power is unreal. In the place of Skarmory, I would recommend a Choice Scarf Magnezone, which stops the bleeding with Lucario and traps troublesome Steel-types that can absorb your Outrage. You can keep Forretress--actually, it goes quite well with Swampert if you want to keep them both around, as Toxic Spikes will crush all Waters except for Rest Suicune, which is basically asking to get set up on. However, Forretress really does need an attack--three hazards and Rapid Spin is just asking for literally any Pokemon in the game to come in and do whatever it wants. Payback, Earthquake, or Gyro Ball should all be considered over Spikes, and if you don't keep Swampert, I would remove Toxic spikes instead since Spikes benefit Salamence and Magnezone more. The remaining slots can be used for a defensive backbone, depending on what you want to use in the other slots.

Sorry for all the carnage, but this team really won't work =(.

Lickitricky

Avast, ye scurvy dogs!
Years
You've got a lot of good ideas running for this team: it has potential as well as ideas that I like, but the execution needs work in my opinion, and there are tweaks that should be made~

First off, if you really want to focus on setting up spikes and SR, I think your team lacks a decent amount of sponginess: the only good sponge-synergy I see right now is Forretress, Skarmory, or Salamence taking a Grass-type attack aimed at Swampert.

First off, I'm really, really not a big fan of your lead Forretress: it's just too slow, which is asking to be taunted, and when that happens you can't really accomplish anything unless you get Explosion on it (which would mean you won't get to set up spikes after you use it) or switch out. My suggestion is Sash Aerodactyl:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Jolly Nature
Ability: Pressure
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

This is your standard lead Aerodactyl, which can prevent your opponent from setting up with Taunt and then use SR itself, resisting any attacks with Focus Sash. Then you can switch out and bring it back in the game later to shake things up a little with Rock Slide and Earthquake.

Your team also has a lot of holes in it that give many standard OU threats a chance to set up and sweep (you can read about them here - thanks to Anti~)

Your Dusknoir really doesn't accomplish much in a battle: the only thing it really can help with is Trick Room to help Forretress or Swampert set up, but even with that I don't its worth a whole spot in your team just for one move for Forretress, and Swampert is something you're trying to set up as a sweeper but literally has one move that actually can make a dent in the opoonent's team, and wastes a lot of turns of Trick Room. So other than that, Dusknoir can mess around a little with an opponent, but it really cant make a big dent in the opponent's team, so I feel like it just doesn't cut it.

I suggest getting rid of Swampert, which would give you a good reason to scrap T-Spikes on your Forretress and replace that with Gyro Ball, to dish out some decent physical damage.

I definitely like the potential Umbreon offers to the team, because of its Mean Look-passing which gives Salamence a chance to set up. However, I suggest the following moveset:

-Taunt
-Baton Pass
-Mean Look
-Yawn/Moonlight

Mean Look followed by Taunt can really trap some of the opponent's walls. After that, I suggest Yawn then Baton Pass, so that the receiver can set up while the opponent is stuck sleeping. This would also work out if you scrapped T-Spikes, since Pokemon can't be sleeping and poisoned at the same time. If you don't like the Yawn idea, you can use Moonlight instead to be able to repeat the Mean Look/Baton Passing cycle. Also, I suggest Lum Berry > Chople Berry, so that Umbreon can shrug off any status ailments hurled at it and then use Taunt to prevent any further ones.

If you have Swampert and Dusknoir scrapped (which I highly suggest), that leaves room for more sweepers, which you really need. With Umbreon, you can get some nice Pokemon that can set up and then dish out chunks of damage. My suggestion is Lucario:

Lucario @ Life Orb
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Close Combat
-Thunderpunch/Bullet Punch/Extremespeed

SD is to set up, Earthquake is slightly uncommon but can help take care of Heatran, which takes out a good portion of your team. Close Combat is for STAB and facing Tyranitar, and you can use Thunderpunch to take care of Gyarados (which would give Lucario a chance to take out three OU threats total in this moveset), or Bullet Punch/Extremespeed to get a speed advantage in tough situations.

Finally, your Skarm doesn't really accomplish too much of anything that your Forretress can't: my personal opinion is to replace it with Lanturn:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
40 HP, 76 Defense, 140 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave/Heal Bell

Lanturn serves as a fantastic tank that can sponge many common special moves, such as Fire moves aimed at Forretress/Lucario or Ice moves aimed at Salamence. It also can deal great damage to a variety of Pokemon, as well as take down a Gyarados, which has a decent opportunity to set up on your team. You can use Thunder Wave to paralyze the opponent a little or Heal Bell to cure your own team, which could especially help out your Umbreon.

That's pretty much it for now- my last suggestion is Leftovers on Forretress, since Focus Band is totally unreliable and Leftovers would help it survive in order to set up what you want it to.

My final suggestion is Aerodactyl as lead, Leftovers on Forretress, new moveset on Umbreon, Lanturn > Skarmory and Lucario > Dusknoir.

Good luck, I hope this helped~

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Thanks for everything, guys.
I'm going to go ahead and change up my team a bit now. But one question - Fr the last Pokemon, most likely some kind of physical sweeper since Magnezone with Choice Scarf seems to be a special sweeper. I might get a Mamoswine, but don't know if that's a good idea. Maybe I will get a Lanturn... I certainly don't want a Lucario, moveset is way too predictable on any Lucario and 3 steel types = Weak to fire.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Haven't edited OP yet, but I scrapped Swampert and Dusknoir. I will fix Umbreon's moveset to the one you suggested, take away Skarmory, and add Lanturn most likely in it's place. Maybe Milotic? I don't know. I replaced Swampert with Magnezone. So that leaves one slot open, for replacing Dusknoir.
Edit: Done

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
Why is Forretress Bold? :\

Umbreon won't work well. Scizor is Umbreon's number 1 counter and makes Mean Look useless with U-Turn. Machamp also makes life hard. Neither Umbreon nor Salamence likes to be confused.
Vaporeon is a way better defensive Eeveelution.

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Bold Nature
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spd
-Surf
-HP Electric/Toxic
-Wish
-Protect

Sixth Pokemon should be a Pokemon that lures Steel types so Magnezone can kill them. Gengar is a good choice. It can even beat Steels on their own.

Gengar @Life Orb
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
-Protect
-Shadow Ball
-HP Fire
-Focus Blast

You'll want to send out Gengar before you send out Salamence. If the opponents switches to a counter, determine if you can beat them on your own or if you need Magnezone's help. Use Protect to scout and ease prediction. Gengar's counters are often Banded or Scarfed, which makes things easier.

Back