• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completely Hacking the Fire Red Title Screen by DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Had someone found a way to overcome the glitchy tiles at the corner? It's so annoying

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
very excellent tut but have you discovered a reason for the background problem
There is a tile limitation, shrink your tileset and it will work without any problems.

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
no that's not the original one i just modified it with paint but the real one still like this

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
Nice tut and i found a solution for the problem at the bottom left want to know how just PM me
step6p1.png

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
I messed up the 2012 thing now the image on the game wont come up can i fix this or do i have to start the whole rom over?

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
how do u cover the picture in d's

At the bottom of NTME, there should be two tabs - TileMap and PaletteMap. You have to switch it to PaletteMap. There should also be a list of characters with a bunch of different colors next to PaletteMap. Switch that from 0 to D, and begin to click on the sprite (which should be covered in 0's when you start, and D's when you finish).

I messed up the 2012 thing now the image on the game wont come up can i fix this or do i have to start the whole rom over?
I might be able to help you - can you go into a bit more detail?

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Great tutorial, especially the changing Charizard part.

One question - does the replacement sprite have to be 64 x 64? I want Professor Oak on the title screen of my hack! (The old guy don't get seen much, otherwise)

Beebeeson

A wild Beebeeson appeared!
Years
I've been trying this but every time I complete the steps, I end up with a weirdly patterned background that isn't the picture I used for the bg. I indexed the image to 16 colours but it doesn't appear, no matter what I do. How did you get the photo behind the arcanine in the first post?

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
Is there a way to totally revamp the graphics of FR? So that it's not just a bunch of pixels, but to were it looks more like diamond, pearl and platinum? If so, can someone tell me how? Thanks :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
I'd like to change the color of the title (Pokemon and the name of the version) in FR. unLZ-GBA says that it's at 00E84F20 but when I open up APE and load the rom, then enter that number, I get a palette with lots of reds and blacks, but none of the blues or yellows of the title. Am I doing something wrong?

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
I'd like to change the color of the title (Pokemon and the name of the version) in FR. unLZ-GBA says that it's at 00E84F20 but when I open up APE and load the rom, then enter that number, I get a palette with lots of reds and blacks, but none of the blues or yellows of the title. Am I doing something wrong?

The colors of the Pokemon title are in 256 colors, so loading in APE is only gonna show 16 colors.

Also, unLZ only show compressed palettes, so generally the palette loaded with unLZ isnt gonna be correct. Here is what I found with a quick search. EAB6C4 and EAB6E4 shows part of the yellows and blues but I don't think that is all of them. So you can start your search around there.

Last edited:

Dylanrockin

That guy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
For some odd reason it wont work for me, can someone please explain to me. I went through all of the steps, and I tried it on a clean rom, the background I used was: This, I cut out the stars part of the picture http://spriters-resource.com/ds/pkmnbnw2/sheet/48188. If there's any kind of specific resolution I need to meet or something that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and one last thing it does not tell me Ptr found at 00078AB0 or something like that, rather it just does nothing and nothing happens. This was with Pokemon Fire Red. I tried out a different image, still didn't work.

I also tried importing this picture: http://www.google.com/imgres?start=...dsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:201,i:108&tx=60&ty=80

But that picture did not come out so well, infact it was glitchy, well very glitchy. The background fire animation was playing out in it's eyes which is weird. And the title screen went completely blue at the sides. The resolution I used (not sure if it matters) is 160x152 smaller or bigger I have no clue.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Please can anyone help me? I did everything what is said in the part 1 tut but when I opened my GBA it turned this..
3582yb6.png

Years
As long as you put in the right hex codes for the palette, this will work.

I did this with Leaf Green and had to find the right offset for that darn Venusaur palette. If anyone asks, it's 00EAD768 ! :)

2mc8xut.jpg

Haven't done the background part yet, will do that later.

Last edited:
Back