• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
No, it is not wrong.

If you haven't asked the original creator and gotten their consent, it doesn't matter. You have every right to remake/ alter their hack in any way shape or form because that's what every hack is. Video game creators put a lot of time and effort into their games so they generally wish to keep everything about them under their own control. But who cares about them, right?
You negated everything in Fuji's post, right? :D
Nicely put, though I don't think even you believe in that =D

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
The only limitation is hardware limitations.
When I first learned ASM, I had a sudden realization: "I can do anything! Think of all the possibilities!"

Frankly, even if you never do anything all that special with it, I think it's worth learning ASM just to experience that feeling.

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Hi, I just had an idea for a hack. It's just some hack including this
I would add a new evolution and call it Kobremega. It would be even more epic and powerful than Serperior, have a new move called Serpent Slide, with a -- hit rate, 1-hit KO and raises all stat. It can be moved down by breeding, but only to Snivy. Serperior evolves to Snivy by being trained to level 93 in Dragonspiral tower's new hidden area(unlocked by using Genesect with Flash in the top room) while holding a Master Ball which is used up. Also, the party must include a Reshiram and Zekrom lv 100 exactly, the Serperior, Genesect lv 100, Arceus lv 100, Magikarp lv 3, Rayquaza lv 100. It would all be worth it. I might make a hack including it and make a video of how to do it.
It doesn't have to be dragonspiral tower. I'm not going to do the hack and I'm just looking for someone else to do it for me. All I want is to make the vid of how to get Kobremega.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
That's impossible. Nobody can fully edit B/W maps, add complex custom scripting (Especially when you seem to want the player to have a party of 7 Pokémon) or add new Pokémon with moves that don't use existing effects.

It's also completely and utterly ludicrous.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Hi folks!

I have a few hack concepts suggestions to make. Simple concepts that I would really like to play:

1st concept: Battles that last longer. By that, I mean doubling every pokemon's health and lowering the weakness/resistance multiplier (from 2x to 1.5x, and 0.5x to 0.75x). Well now, I dunno if the latter is possible to do, but with doubled health, moves that affects health on percentage would need to be modified (Leech seed would be the best move), and maybe even the moves that affect stats would need to be modified (else it would be too easy to boost self). Any version, but I'd prefer games from Ruby/Sapphire up to Black/White

2nd concept: Ability to learn more than 4 moves. Now, I suppose that this may not be possible to do and that it may also have been suggested already in the past. So not gonna bother much with that suggestion, just say if it's possible of not.

3rd concept: Triple Battle and Rotation Battle only. Maybe even battles with that Wonder Launcher or whatever it was. The latter, I suppose it may not be possible since the AI is probably not programmed to be able to battle in this mode. However, Triple Battle and Rotation Battles are waaaay too underused, and thus I'd love to play a whole game of just those!

Hoping someone will start making those hacks. I don't want to throw myself in hacking projects since my school requires a lot of my time.

Quicksken

Modder/Hacker/Gamer/Dreamer
Years
1st concept: Battles that last longer. By that, I mean doubling every pokemon's health and lowering the weakness/resistance multiplier (from 2x to 1.5x, and 0.5x to 0.75x). Well now, I dunno if the latter is possible to do, but with doubled health, moves that affects health on percentage would need to be modified (Leech seed would be the best move), and maybe even the moves that affect stats would need to be modified (else it would be too easy to boost self). Any version, but I'd prefer games from Ruby/Sapphire up to Black/White

It's possible, but I don't know wether it'd be worthwile. I mean, YOU would like to play that kind of game, but would the general public be interested in it?

2nd concept: Ability to learn more than 4 moves. Now, I suppose that this may not be possible to do and that it may also have been suggested already in the past. So not gonna bother much with that suggestion, just say if it's possible of not.

This might be possible, through some serious ASM. But if it can be done, it'll be popular

3rd concept: Triple Battle and Rotation Battle only. Maybe even battles with that Wonder Launcher or whatever it was. The latter, I suppose it may not be possible since the AI is probably not programmed to be able to battle in this mode. However, Triple Battle and Rotation Battles are waaaay too underused, and thus I'd love to play a whole game of just those!

Well, since Triple/Rotation battles are only used in B/W, and the hacking of 5th Gen is only evolving very slowly. And importing that kind of battles in R/S/E/FR/LG might be possible, but again, if possible, it would require a HUGE amount of source code editing. So I doubt anyone will want to take their time to do so.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Well, I've seen someone who said he was working on some B/W hard mode, and said there was more Triple Battles. So it looks like it's already possible, just requires to know how to, and to dedicate some time to change and balance every trainer battle. I understand B/W hacking is fairly new, so I don't mind waiting a long time.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
That sounds interesting. Speaking of B/W hacking, I haven't heard much about its progress recently. Can we even do stuff like modify maps & scripts, or pretty much just make the game harder/easier?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
It doesn't seem modifying maps is possible yet. And certainly it won't be possible before long, since the maps are in 3D, unlike the GBA pokemons. But about its progress, I supposed you guys would know better than I do, since I just started interesting myself into pokemons hacks a few days ago.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
True, but you can tell it's more complex, especially with the bridge leading to the city with tall buildings, and this very same city.

droomph

weeb
Years
True, but you can tell it's more complex, especially with the bridge leading to the city with tall buildings, and this very same city.

It is simply some 3D graphics implemented into a 2D map, as the perspective changes on the bridge depending on which tile you're on, and the camera is not movable.

I believe it's called Mode 7?
From Wikipedia:
The Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS 2D graphics hardware have scaling and rotation for traditional tiled backgrounds in its modes 1 and 2 and scaling and rotation for bitmaps in modes 3 through 5 (used less often on the GBA because of technical limitations).
I guess Mode 1 or 2 for the DS is activated every time a certain condition is met.

Oh and by the way that's Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Well that still is more complex than the previous game. They may be based on the same engine, but it's going to take a few more things if you want the Map Editor to be able to create maps as special as that Skyarrow Bridge.

But honestly, since I'm no hacker, that's as far as I can understand. I was impressed at first when I got to this bridge, I'd be impressed again once a fan makes something else as impressive.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well that still is more complex than the previous game. They may be based on the same engine, but it's going to take a few more things if you want the Map Editor to be able to create maps as special as that Skyarrow Bridge.

But honestly, since I'm no hacker, that's as far as I can understand. I was impressed at first when I got to this bridge, I'd be impressed again once a fan makes something else as impressive.

Anyone who understands how to edit a Gen 4 map can easily stick another larger 3D model into the map. It's just like how in FR/LG there's a lot of true 8x8 tiles, like rocks, but in R/S/E there's not many true 8x8 tiles, usually opting for 64x64 cliffs and mountains and 16x32 trees.

Anyways I really am not one to talk, so this should get you started.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
It is simply some 3D graphics implemented into a 2D map, as the perspective changes on the bridge depending on which tile you're on, and the camera is not movable.
...except that every single map in the Gen IV and V games are programmed in 3D. Even the building interiors in Gen IV that appear to be 2D, program-wise, they're fully 3D, just that the game engine tells certain maps to display in that format. You can hack the camera angle with ActionReplay. Ever heard of the "crazy zoom" code? Well it let's you change the camera angle at will, it's pretty awesome.

droomph

weeb
Years
Actually, Skyarrow Bridge has a dynamic camera that changes, and changes the movement permissions, hence why you cannot use Walk Through Walls there. The whole map is in 3D, but the camera just moves with every step you take.
So basically it's an extremely limited version of the camera feature in most 3D games?

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Chaos Rush said:
You can hack the camera angle with ActionReplay. Ever heard of the "crazy zoom" code? Well it let's you change the camera angle at will, it's pretty awesome.
That sounds extremely cool. Now I want an action replay. ;)

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hows the progress on HGSS hacking? Is it even worth it, or should we stick to DP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back