• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

☣ Toxic ☣ - The Poison Type Fanclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Well I'll get started then on my mini-essay (because I'm uncreative), sir.
As you say you're expecting a lot of Arbok I may do two with a second being Skuntank if that's OK?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Haha i'd expect so. And to my surprise not that many people partnered with what I thought would be the more common poison types like the Nidos, Drapion, Scolipede, etc. I'd take that as a good sign :). Also I beleive we have one garbodor in the club.
A Sonnet to Garbodor; now that is something I want to see lmao.

Well I'll get started then on my mini-essay (because I'm uncreative), sir.
As you say you're expecting a lot of Arbok I may do two with a second being Skuntank if that's OK?
Sure, I'll just count whichever is best as your final entry. :)

Incidentally I might need help judging when it comes to deciding between the last couple of entries, so if anyone wants to volunteer then that would be lovely!

So in spirit of the competition, let's revive an old topic and give it a new twist that will fit perfectly in helping to come up with entries!

What is your favourite Poison type Pokémon and what makes it unique?

I'll answer soon but I'm more interested to hear what you guys think at the moment as everyone already knows mine, I rant about it way too much paha.

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Sure, I'll just count whichever is best as your final entry. :)

Incidentally I might need help judging when it comes to deciding between the last couple of entries, so if anyone wants to volunteer then that would be lovely!

So in spirit of the competition, let's revive an old topic and give it a new twist that will fit perfectly in helping to come up with entries!

I'll answer soon but I'm more interested to hear what you guys think at the moment as everyone already knows mine, I rant about it way too much paha.

Thanks
I would offer to help but as I'm taking part there might be some bias there.

Favourite Poison type is Arbok (gasp!), I can't even fully explain what it is about the great snake that appeals to me that much but just look at it, a massive freaky Cobra! Apparently strong enough to crush steel barrels with its wrap! On the other side I've also always had a thing for reptiles, especially snakes and crocodiles so Arbok stood out (This was before Seviper and generation III). I also have always liked the bad guys more than the heroes in fiction, with a few exceptions. Team Rocket, both the organisation and the TRio in the anime have my undying love (Little overboard) they constantly use Arbok, Jessie's Arbok in the anime became one of my favourites right from when I started watching, it helped that it ruined Ash and Misty in that episode. Jessie's Arbok wasn't even 'evil' (I don't like calling TRio evil because they're not but for the sake of this I shall) but the snake was following orders due to loyalty and friendship, unlike the later Seviper who we saw was a always a jerk, and that interested me, I wish they'd have put this relationship in the spotlight more. I'm sure we all remember how painful Wrap used to be in 1st Gen and Ekans and Arbok were the masters, my slightly evil strategy was poisoning foes and just wrap them. I didn't do this on my friends much because they'd just get frustrated.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
OK my favorite pokemon is Muk(shocker! :o!!). But the main reasons I like Muk isn't because of its uniqueness or because of its special qualities but more of how I learned to love Muk as a pokemon. In the anime there was never a point in the anime where I didn't like how Muk was portrayed(sans under the ownership of a villainous gang...as most poison types). Anyway I always adored how ash's muk was always friendly and affectionate towards everyone it met despite being a pokemon that is usually avoided. I also loved how Muk is also mostly just misunderstood; as portrayed in the episode where 3 Muk enter a pond and mucked up the water unintentionally driving out the psyduck. Its until they are sent blasting off into another swamp and finding three Muks(females) that its realized they just wanted a home too :(, just like all pokemon need, although they happened to ruin the pond.

What really sealed the deal is when I visited Dr. Footprint in my platinum and showed him my Muk and he told me what my Muk thought about me: "There are no Pokémon that dislike humans... Only humans that dislike Pokémon... We Muk are especially shunned... But [My name] always treats me as a friend and partner...". That is what made me want to make Muk my favorite pokemon. Not too many people would want to have a Muk, so I would be the one to take one in with open arms and be the best partner a Muk could have(Garbodor reference).

Now, being Muk and all his awesome glory he also does have several unique things about him that few other pokemon have. In the anime and games Muk has shown to be able to alter his body shape and size as well as certain gelatinous properties which I think is really cool and only I think the other pokemon with similar qualities is swalot(another one of my faves). With this Muk like many other poison types can control their toxicity and stentch(as displayed in the anime) as to not unintentionally harm anyone. Similar to how someone can hold a croagunk's hand without getting poisoned or someone can ride a rapidash without getting burned. I believe that truly displays how Muk is truly more of a peaceful pokemon as opposed to how some people view it as a pest and unlovable(yet a wild one would still respond how most any pokemon would if you introoded on its home or territory).

Muk is also very competent in battle as being both defensive and offensive. While also being able to accommodate more of a supporting role and live up to the reputation of how frustrating poison types are to fight. With moves such as minimize, memento, disable, and the obvious poison ailment Muk has several options to strike dread into the hearts of his adversaries. Not to mention also being able to use various elemental moves.

So that's my wall of text of why I like Muk. :)

EDIT: Since I basically slammed my entire idea of my event submission in that one post I'll draw something instead

Last edited:

Queen of Poison

I love Muk
Years

I like Muk but I also like Crobat. Crobat is fast, hits hard and its strong. My Crobat on Pokemon Black took out Marshal all by itself despite being around 10 levels lower. And Muk is a giant blob of sludge.

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
Name: ArcanaFlaera
Parter Pokemon: Layla the Nidoqueen
Reason for joining: I've been a fan of poison types when using them, but I always find myself annoyed fighting against them. But I always try to add one to my team whenever I have the chance, usually one of the Nidos or Venonat.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The answers so far have been really interesting! I'm running short on time at the moment so can't dissect them like I intended to, but I really never saw Arbok as a loyal Pokémon... That's a pretty interesting take on it tbh, certainly not one I would've thought of haha. And the post about Muk... omg I got so sentimental xD I'm so happy to find out I'm not the only one that takes the "Pokémon don't dislike people, only people dislike Pokémon" approach, it's what made me love Muk and Garbodor too. Plus you're right about in the anime how friendly and amazing Ash's Muk is, it made me fall in love with the Pokémon instantly too! And the part about Poison types being able to control their toxicity was certainly very interesting, that's something I'd like to talk about in more detail soon once this topic's finished with. :) And Crobat is just plain awesome haha, it's like a flying pink dart of death!

EDIT: Since I basically slammed my entire idea of my event submission in that one post I'll draw something instead
It was really impressive and your reasoning was great so I don't mind counting it for the contest if you want it to be your entry. x]

Name: ArcanaFlaera
Parter Pokemon: Layla the Nidoqueen
Reason for joining: I've been a fan of poison types when using them, but I always find myself annoyed fighting against them. But I always try to add one to my team whenever I have the chance, usually one of the Nidos or Venonat.
Hi Arcana, welcome to the club! :D May I ask why you chose Nidoqueen as your partner? And what made you love the Nidos and Venonat so much? I'm glad to see you're a Poison type lover too, we're a pretty small bunch but a loyal one at that! Make sure to ask if you have any questions and enjoy your stay. :)

CourageHound

Years
It was really impressive and your reasoning was great so I don't mind counting it for the contest if you want it to be your entry. x]

xD That would be cool. But hold up a bit cause I just might a short story(inspiration) for the fun of it, for my entry instead. But I'll let you know otherwise. If only there was more time in the day...

Last edited:

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
Well, I chose Nidoqueen because it was the first poison type I ever used. I adored her and she helped me out a bunch when I was in a tight spot.

As for loving the Nidos so much. I blame Gary Oak. I loved his Nidoqueen, and all the episodes that have either one of the Nido family, it just brings a smile to my face.
For Venonat, I loved Tracy's Venonat. I thought it was adorable, and I could just stare into its eyes. I always have to hold myself back from squealing when I see them in my game or I the anime. I was thoroughly disappointed when Roxie didn't use Venonat or Venomoth.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Sorry about the absence guys, but I have Wi-Fi back now so here I am!

Well, I chose Nidoqueen because it was the first poison type I ever used. I adored her and she helped me out a bunch when I was in a tight spot.
*sits down with cocoa* Story time, story time! Tell us what happened? :D

As for loving the Nidos so much. I blame Gary Oak. I loved his Nidoqueen, and all the episodes that have either one of the Nido family, it just brings a smile to my face.
For Venonat, I loved Tracy's Venonat. I thought it was adorable, and I could just stare into its eyes. I always have to hold myself back from squealing when I see them in my game or I the anime. I was thoroughly disappointed when Roxie didn't use Venonat or Venomoth.
Oo, so most of your love of Poison types comes from the anime? I find that pretty interesting since usually Poison types (unfortunately) seem to be portrayed pretty badly (evil, not shoddy) in the anime so it gives them a pretty negative connotation throughout the rest of the franchise... Although maybe it's just me thinking that haha. Although Venonat certainly is a cutie so I agree with you there <3

Hey Alex, I in fact would like my post from before to count as my entry
Sure, fine by me. :)

Reminder: Please post your contest entries soon either in this thread or via PM to me. :)

CourageHound

Years
Hmm...thinking some more on the topic, frequently my favorite pokemon/partner fluctuates depending on my mood at the time, seing as my list of favorite pokemon isn't concrete seing I love the other pokemon on the list almost as much. However Muk always sooner or later comes back on top due to the aforementioned reasons, and cuz of loyalty I suppose.

Hey Alex you said you had an answer for the topic right? :D I wanna here it!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Hmm...thinking some more on the topic, frequently my favorite pokemon/partner fluctuates depending on my mood at the time, seing as my list of favorite pokemon isn't concrete seing I love the other pokemon on the list almost as much. However Muk always sooner or later comes back on top due to the aforementioned reasons, and cuz of loyalty I suppose.

Hey Alex you said you had an answer for the topic right? :D I wanna here it!

Oh whoops, my bad! I knew there's something I'd forgotten haha. Okay, well in case you hadn't already guessed my favourite Poison type is Grimer! It's an adorable pile of sludge that's just so freaking cute I want to hug it all day long ;; It in itself is a very unique Pokémon, especially design wise, mostly because it doesn't actually have a set body structure and I find this very interesting indeed. The ability to change it's shape and structure how and whenever it wants is truly fascinating because it creates endless possibilities of how Grimer and Muk can use their attacks and provides countless routes of defence for either dodging attacks or building up their bulk to endure a strong hit. This, alongside the fact that they're essentially the living essence of poison (come on, how cool is it to be made entirely of poison?), makes them stand well above any other Poison type Pokémon in my books simply because the whole concept that they were created from is inspiring. Grimer's characteristics would allow it to become such a versatile fighter be it towering up attacking from up high or forming a large area of ground for them to cover whilst spewing their attacks in all directions, and this doesn't even take into account how strong the Pokémon is. Grimer itself isn't all that strong, but once it evolves into Muk it's just a huge badass pile of poison ready to destroy anything in its path. It can use its own body to create mountainous bombs of toxic goo to hurl at the enemy before letting out a lightning bolt or two and ending with a brutal punch, all the while being minimized to increase evasion and enduring hit after hit after hit with its impressive bulk. All in all, I just think they're a truly incredible family of Pokémon and that's why I happily call them my favourites of all the Poison types - the only reason I chose Grimer over Muk is the adorableness factor n.n

There is one thing I've always wondered though; how can these Pokémon actually use so many attacks? Pokémon like Muk, Swalot, Garbodor, etc, they're able to learn attacks such as Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, but I'm wondering how this is possible - what is it about being a creature of poison and toxicity that enables these powers? Anyway, just something to think about haha.

Anyway, I think it's about time we had some fan art in here, make the place seem more colourful <3

Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

Bit of a weird topic I know, but essentially I'm really interested in what makes Pokémon unique and what sets them apart from other Pokémon, and I usually find that artists do this very well when depicting the Pokémon they're drawing or painting. Therefore, posting fan art is a great way to go about finding the uniqueness of the Pokémon we're discussing :D If anyone has anything else they'd like to discuss then feel free btw. :)

CourageHound

Years
Answering Topic:
Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

Well then, guess i gotta find some picks that showcase the awesomeness of poison types.. ERR....*searches files*

Some of the images are quite big btw, and I own nothing.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Name: TwilightBlade
Partner Pokemon: Thysania the Venomoth
Answer the current topic: Gonna answer a previous topic since I don't feel like hunting for fan art.

Like omg I have 6 shiny Venomoth and they're so wonderful and I would be fine dying from being surrounded and suffocated by a bunch of Venomoth idkkkk. I like that Venomoth is cute and tough; it can get tinted lens omg! It can learn powders, quiver dance, morning sun, psychic, giga drain, good stuff all moves I love.

CourageHound

Years
@TwighlightBlade Congratz at joining! :D But...O.o how did you get 6 shiny venomoth?? Anyways thats really cool! ^_^

Yea venomoth is epecially scary to face just because it has so many tools at its disposal from spreading status, to quiver dance, to baton passing boosts.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I chained shiny Venomoth in DPPt :) I also have chained 3 shiny Ariados and 2 shiny Nidoking.

I caught a shiny Weedle (now Beedrill) in Crystal. Also, I saw a shiny Grimer, but it ran from me. In Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions, only a few species of wild Pokemon can flee from battle, Grimer being one of those. 8|

CourageHound

Years
I chained shiny Venomoth in DPPt :) I also have chained 3 shiny Ariados and 2 shiny Nidoking.

I caught a shiny Weedle (now Beedrill) in Crystal. Also, I saw a shiny Grimer, but it ran from me. In Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions, only a few species of wild Pokemon can flee from battle, Grimer being one of those. 8|

Thats cool. I never had the patience or the grace in my finger muscles to chain all the way to a shiny. Well, for the topic are there any pics of poison pokes you find interesting?

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Er... uh. I'm so rusty with forums I'm actually kind of nervous. <_<;

Name: Pat
Partner Pokemon: Nidorina (the Nidorina. No, I'm not being facetious, that's her name)
Topic: I'll do you a couple at once... If I may combine Who's the Cutest Poison Type from way back with Favorite and Unique.

The answer to both is either Nidorina, or the first answer may be slightly skewed towards Nidoran Female, it literally varies daily. But I'm crazy about Nidos. Kind of. Okay, not as much as I used to be, but still enough to be consistent. To be honest, I really only like Nidoran F through Nidorino, I've never really felt anything for Nidoking (though I like some interpretations I've drawn).

Overall, though, Nidorina has been a top favorite for about 12 years, only being edged out length-of-time wise by Vulpix (my first favorite, who dropped to rank two/three as soon as I started loving 'Rina more). I'm also going to level with you all, I haven't touched a major Pokemon game in what feels like forever (the last side game I played was Rumble on the Wii, though). So the reasons why I think Nidorina is unique will have nothing to do with game stats, but more aesthetics of her design.

I feel like Nidorina has all the features that give her an appeal of a classic (pocket) monster, but at the same time, has a very strong silhouette that allows for a lot of creative interpretation just as long as you get the core elements down. That's strong design, I think. It's also why a Pokemon like Voltorb is unmemorable. She's not too over done like some of the other Nidos, but not too uninspired that she looks like Kirby with hair (you know who I mean), and the details are easy to remember. Almost everything is in threes. Three ear points, three claws, three toes (the middle one being larger). She doesn't have an insane amount of spikes to keep track of. Just four, and they sit on her back 2 by 2. Easy, easy, easy, and yet you'll never mistake Nidorina for another creature if you have any familiarity with her.

She can be charming too, depending on which art you're looking at. The anime did a horrible job of representing her, because it erroneously based her design from the Red/Green sprites, as opposed to the calm look she had in her old Sugimori promo art. Unfortunately, everyone remembered her for her anime design, but I think people have gotten away from that these days (I'd like to think I had a hand in that :D;).

I've drawn Nidorina so much in the past decade and two years that it's second nature, and I've really come to appreciate that solid, solid design. THAT'S why I think Nidorina is unique.

Game wise, Nidorina holds a special place thanks to Pokemon Silver, a game I didn't even like (so you know there had to be another draw). But that's a story for some other time.

As for fan art... uh. I'm not sure if I ought to. Oh no, it's nothing bad (I'm a very family friendly, cartoon loving kind of guy), but I still can't help but feel it'd be somewhat self serving. :Y I'm always apprehensive about these things.

I also never know how to feel about posting found art. Like, I technically don't want to because I have too much respect for the artists who don't want it redistributed (and I've been there in the past, don't care anymore these days), and yet... well, here's one of my old favorites. It's not mind blowing coloring wise, but I always thought it was amazing by the sheer fact that it came from a Japanese oekaki. Japan. A place where they go out of their way NOT to draw Nidos (I'm exaggerating, but still). And not only that, the art doesn't look like it came from a guidebook. It's full of so much character (it reminds me of the Yamashi-ta 4Koma (yikes, I understand the need for a filter, but it's the dude's name))! Truly a gem on those merits alone!

So, yeah. :D

Last edited:

CourageHound

Years
@dbp ur SU and topic entries are both very admirable :D welcome to the club!

Was Nidoran&Nidorina the first pokemon you saw? (or one of the first?)

Before all the new 5th gen pokes came and before i started to recognise the awesome qualities of other pokemon Muk sort of "Claimed" me so, like you said even tho my favs veries evry now and the Muk stays my all time fav cuz of, ya know loyalty in what not.

I too have done some drawings of Muk. Nothing over the top or mind-blowing but I try to depict the boundless personallity Muk truly has.

Usually when I display others art i usually credit the author or state I didnt create it. But nonetheless, its slightly difficult to find err...the more positive depictions of poison types when looking at fan art. Hopefully when I get better i'll change that with my own art.

Do you think there will ever be another pokemon in any possible gen that will replace Nidorina as your fav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back