• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan ?

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
I like them both as well as Hitmontop but Hitmonlee is better in that gen game. In gen III the elemental punches are special and Hitmonchans special is really low so Hitmonlee's attack and physical moves takes the win. If it's gen IV where they changed it, then I prefer Hitmonchan cause it makes him more versatile.

Tek

Years
If it's gen IV where they changed it, then I prefer Hitmonchan cause it makes him more versatile.

Yeah, it changed in gen IV, made me happy lol. Used to be that I had to get Hitmonchan Lv 70+ before the punches did respectable damage. Gen III was quite a bit better than I/II with the addition of Natures and the IV system overhaul.

SnailCandy

Bass Dropper
Years
Neither! Hitmontop! >:D JK. But seriously, I have to pick Hitmonchan, just because the thought of having four "punching" moves on a pokemon and none of them being Fighting-type moves is just hilarious to me. And that's always what my Hitmonchan's moveset ends up being.

Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Bullet Punch

XD It's the best!

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
I'm not an avid battler, so I can't say which is better competitively. However, I used Hitmonlee in Silver, and am using Hitmonchan in my second White 2 run, and I have to say that I prefer Hitmonlee.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
hitmonlee. every time i run through fire red i beat the fighting Dojo just to get him :D though i cant say why, it just happens that way

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
hitmonlee. every time i run through fire red i beat the fighting Dojo just to get him :D though i cant say why, it just happens that way

Yeah it also happen with me.

Neither! Hitmontop! >:D JK. But seriously, I have to pick Hitmonchan, just because the thought of having four "punching" moves on a pokemon and none of them being Fighting-type moves is just hilarious to me. And that's always what my Hitmonchan's moveset ends up being.

Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Bullet Punch

XD It's the best!

Huh ??? How did you get such amazing moves ???? I tried whole year for Fire Punch, Bullet Punch & Thunder Punch but failed how did you got these ? Well i have used Ice Punch though.

I see that a majority of users on here still prefer Hitmonlee.

That worries me. Especially after this pic was leaked onto the internet about a year ago.

I prefer Hitmonchan because he just seems cooler to me. Yes, he is a little bit low on the attack stat side and doesn't really need the little increase in defense that Hitmonlee doesn't have, but he has a much broader movepool. In addition to the elemental punches (which don't work well for him in Gen III, sadly), he also has access to Pursuit and Sky Uppercut, so it's able to hit escaping pokemon and flying pokemon as well. For example, if both Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee were up against a flying pokemon, Hitmonchan would probably end out on top after using Sky Uppercut on the flying pokemon, because both would probably be K.O.'d after a hit from Fly.

Ouch with your Picture.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
I've always had more preference for Hitmonchan, since it had the ability to learn the elemental punches, and had a slightly nicer design than Hitmonlee

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
For Gen III, I prefer Hitmonlee because his attacks are more better and hits harder than Hitmonchan. Hitmonchan is known for his elemental punches but since those punches are special in Gen III and Hitmonchan's Sp.Atk is horrible that doesn't make him really viable.

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Dec 17, 2013
Hitmonlee I always choose, especially now I know it's stronger, and doesn't look semi-retarded

I realize that was a bit rude, so sorry. I just really am not fond of the graphics on hitmonchan for some reason.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 19, 2013
I guess I'm one who prefers Hitmonchan. I haven't used Hitmonchan in a playthrough before though, just boxing it after recieving it.

I did this but with Hitmonlee. In general I don't typically have a fighting type on my team, and even Lucario isn't really appealing to me. Hitmonlee was just the one that looked better and would usually do better against me when i fought it, so i considered it to be the better choice among the two.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
For generation 3, Hitmonlee is my pick. His moves are more effective compared to Hitmonchan, who in later generations, is more helpful.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I personally prefer Hitmonlee, because it's faster, stronger, and has a better design. Sure, Hitmonchan may have the Elemental Punches, but they were special in the first three generations, so Hitmonchan couldn't make good use of them.

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
I always picked Hitmonchan when I was younger. But today I prefer Hitmontop :3 Mostly because of X and Y.

BartCiao

It has always been Pokemon :)
Years
I most often choose 'Lee because Chan's Fire, Ice and Thunder Punches (the versatility that makes him good IMO) suck in Gen III, because they're special, and not physical.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
I like Hitmonlee better but I choose Hitmonchan because of its versatile moveset. As of now I choose Hitmonlee because I'm not partial to fighting types but if I need one I get something different so I just like to have Hitmonlee.

Wazee Wynkoop

New Start!
Years
I always thought Hitmonchan looked cooler and I liked how he had access to the elemental punches. But I never actually used him or any of the other Hitmons in a playthrough.

blue

gucci
Years
At first my preferential choice was Hitmonchan, but more recently I've started to favour Hitmonlee over both Hitmonchan and Hitmontop.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 9, 2014
I always chose Hitmonlee. He just looks so cool, plus his Attack stat is better.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
Yea, if it's raw power you're looking for, then Hitmonlee is your ideal choice. But Hitmonchan is much more versatile, and can dispatch a much wider variety of enemies, albeit not as quickly as Hitmonlee. Depends a lot on what your battling style is, really.
If Hitmonchan was the only Pokémon one had, this would make sense. But there's five other little buggers itching for a fight - like Pokémon who can counter with STABs and have decent special attack.

Hitmonchan spreads itself too thin - a classic example of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MasterOfNone

Back