• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Super MarioMon! (Beta available to download)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
Edit: Fixed some non-sensible TM learning capabilities, and an error in Buzzy Beetles evolution line.

Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom in this all new hack of Pokemon Fire Red. The main feature of this game is the addition of 150 all new pokemon, all based on Super Mario enemies and characters. Goomba, Bob-omb, Bowser...Battle, collect, and train them all in this hack! If you love Pokemon and Mario, then this game is for you.

Features:

-150 all new MarioMon, including sprites, evolutions, and attacks.
-MUCH more balanced gameplay, with each fully evolved MarioMon roughly equaling each other in total stats.
-Quality of life edits, such as removing the blackout in Rock Tunnel and the removal of the trainer that teaches you how to catch pokemon.
-Minor enviromental and scripting hacks.

Story (Not yet implemented):

Professor E-gad has developed a new technology for enslaving the various monsters of the Mushroom Kingdom. Using Mario as his spokesperson, he advertises this technology to the humanoid denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom as there cure to the constant invasions by Bowser and as a way for them to secure everlasting peace in their kingdom.

Needless to say, the minions of the Mushroom world are in a panic as more and more of them are being enslaved and brainwashed away from the rule of their great King Bowser. Seeing the horrors of this new technology, Bowser breaks into E-gad's lair in order to liberate some of his loyal minions. However, Mario steps in just in time to stop Bowser from saving all of his minions. Wanting to add insult to injuiry, Mario descides to defeat Bowser with one of the very minions who once served him so loyally. Horrified by this, Bowser runs away, seeking a cure to the brainwashing effects of E-gad's twisted technology, and to attempt to liberate the trapped souls of the monsters.

You'll play as Mario who will travel in an attempt to stop the "evils" of Bowser, attempting to save his comrades, and secure an everlasting peace for the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Future of the Game:

I intend to add a whole new map, story, text, and scripting in a future release, admittedly a while down the road. I also plan on utilizing Fire Red's like 300 something space to add many more MarioMon. You'd be surprised how much you have to work with in the Mario Universe.

Screen shots:

View attachment 54690

View attachment 54691

View attachment 54692

View attachment 54693

mariomonbeta6.png

mariomonbeta5.png

mariomonbeta7.png

mariomonbeta4.png

mariomonbeta1.png

mariomonbeta3.png

mariomonbeta2.png

Preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uitk9JHkv2c

Download:

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RK12OMP5

--------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to comment. I'm interested in what you guys think. Any glitches or bugs you guys find, report to me. Also, if anyone's really interested in the premise, I'd love some help on mapping and scripting. ^_^

MarioMonBanner.png

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Some of the sprites have big, bulging black outlines. You should fix that.
Anyways, good luck on this.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
Each sprite has a different style. This isn't good. You should remake all the sprites and at least give them an uniform style.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
Years
Some sprites are sprited differently then otheres. =\ I agree with Teh Baro. Resprite them.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
Some sprites are sprited differently then otheres. =\ I agree with Teh Baro. Resprite them.

Most of the sprites look different then others because most of them are the sprites from each of their respective games. Considering the quality between systems and different art styles between mario games, the sprites are going to be different.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
Years
I see... Now the maps... They look kind of empty, and I see tile errors in the first screen. (The gate to be exact)

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
Let's see the problems I noticed before downloading the beta.

> Everything being balanced makes for a dull game. There should be things that are great early on and bad later (Like Butterfree) and things that are bad early but great later (Like Dratini).

> Spriting is horrid.

> You put a beta that isn't special in any way except edited pokemon and routes up.

That being said, I downloaded to further investigate.

> If your starter is burned/poisoned in the first rival battle, it will not show up.

> The pokemon are not restated. MAYBE you changed the catch rate, but the stats are the same.

> You're Onix replacement is named Monkey. It is a Ukieki (Or however it's spelled).

> THE SPRITES ARE WORSE THAN WHAT THEY WERE ON THE SCREENSHOTS.

Yeah. Those need fixed.

EDIT: OH GOOD ARCEUS WHAT IS THAT KOOPA BACKSPRITE? It's... something from my nightmares! D:

Last edited:

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
games sounds/looks great. gona try this out cause im wondering how Bowser looks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011

Let's see the problems I noticed before downloading the beta.

> Everything being balanced makes for a dull game. There should be things that are great early on and bad later (Like Butterfree) and things that are bad early but great later (Like Dratini).

I disagree. I never agreed with that approach. Why should I have to replace a butterfree I worked so hard on to replace it with one thats actually decent. That makes there be only like 30 actually decent pokemon at the end. Why advertise 150 pokemon if over half of them suck? That always bothered me about the original games.

> Spriting is horrid.

Aww why thank you. =P Besides, the sprites are only as bad as the original Nintendo spriter who made them. Now back sprites, I can understand, but I never professed to being a good spriter. So for those, I will gladly accept you slings. ^_^

> You put a beta that isn't special in any way except edited pokemon and routes up.

If your talking about scripting, then I'm new to hacking. Figured I'd get the backbone of the game first, which is the edited pokemon, and I'll take care of the scripting as I learn more and more about hacking. Can't be a great scripter from square one you know. ^_^;;

> If your starter is burned/poisoned in the first rival battle, it will not show up.

Somehow, in like the 10 times I ran through that battle, I was never poisioned or burned. Had no idea that happens. 'tanks for the heads up on that. Maybe I'll change it so that burn, poision pokemon power doesn't appear untill their level 2 evolution.
> The pokemon are not restated. MAYBE you changed the catch rate, but the stats are the same.

> You're Onix replacement is named Monkey. It is a Ukieki (Or however it's spelled).

I thought Ukieki was the name of the one monkey in Mario 64. Yoshi's Island just calls them Monkey, but I'll look into it. In fact, if anyone sees any mario characters missnamed, go ahead and tell me.

> THE SPRITES ARE WORSE THAN WHAT THEY WERE ON THE SCREENSHOTS.

Yeah. Those need fixed.

But..um...they're not.. ^_^;; They're exactly what's in the game. I blame the fact that you're playing it in wide screen mode or something. 8 and 16 bit sprites tend to look worse the more they're magnified, which is the reason so many of you are bashing how they look. ^_^;;

EDIT: OH GOOD ARCEUS WHAT IS THAT KOOPA BACKSPRITE? It's... something from my nightmares! D:

Aww.. thank you. You're so nice! XD Once again, Noob spriter over here. I can change scripting, map, etc. That I can do.... in time... But I can't help my lack of artistic talent. XD

The stats are most certainly not all the same! Don't say that after I painstakingly altered every single Pokemon! XD Every pokemon is changed completely with new moves, stats, EVs, pokedex, Evolutions, etc. If it was JUST a sprite edit, THEN I could agree this game would be pointless, but I made every single pokemon from the ground up.

Last edited:

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
I disagree. I never agreed with that approach. Why should I have to replace a butterfree I worked so hard on to replace it with one thats actually decent. That makes there be only like 30 actually decent pokemon at the end. Why advertise 150 pokemon if over half of them suck? That always bothered me about the original games.

Because it's dull. If everything is just as good, then you can't learn what's bad and get some replay value, learn what's best and get more replay value, and just try that stuff. I think one or two "early game" pokemon should be there, and a few "late game" ones as well. Why advertise 150 pokemon if they are all the same? That's what bothers me about YOUR game.

Aww why thank you. =P Besides, the sprites are only as bad as the original Nintendo spriter who made them. Now back sprites, I can understand, but I never professed to being a good spriter. So for those, I will gladly accept you slings. ^_^

Well, the thing is that you have some sprites as advanced as SMW2, and others back in SMB3 or before. That's a variable that spans the NES and the SNES, and sprite difference is huge. And then some (toad...) aren't even shown.

If your talking about scripting, then I'm new to hacking. Figured I'd get the backbone of the game first, which is the edited pokemon, and I'll take care of the scripting as I learn more and more about hacking. Can't be a great scripter from square one you know. ^_^;;

Well, you can WAIT to release the game until scripting, mapping, text edits, and other stuff are done.

Somehow, in like the 10 times I ran through that battle, I was never poisioned or burned. Had no idea that happens. 'tanks for the heads up on that. Maybe I'll change it so that burn, poision pokemon power doesn't appear untill their level 2 evolution.

Ok.

I thought Ukieki was the name of the one monkey in Mario 64. Yoshi's Island just calls them Monkey, but I'll look into it. In fact, if anyone sees any mario characters missnamed, go ahead and tell me.

Well, on some of the older games the names were different. I thought Ukieki was the name that came up in all the N64 and on games.

But..um...they're not.. ^_^;; They're exactly what's in the game. I blame the fact that you're playing it in wide screen mode or something. 8 and 16 bit sprites tend to look worse the more they're magnified, which is the reason so many of you are bashing how they look. ^_^;;

I'm playing the smallest size possible. Backsprites were the main issue, but some sprites (TOAD) are just bad. To be fair, if there wasn't so much variance (Mentioned above), it would be better.

Aww.. thank you. You're so nice! XD Once again, Noob spriter over here. I can change scripting, map, etc. That I can do.... in time... But I can't help my lack of artistic talent. XD

Again though, you really could have waited to release the game.

The stats are most certainly not all the same! Don't say that after I painstakingly altered every single Pokemon! XD Every pokemon is changed completely with new moves, stats, EVs, pokedex, Evolutions, etc. If it was JUST a sprite edit, THEN I could agree this game would be pointless, but I made every single pokemon from the ground up.

"Monkey" is an Onix replacement. It has horrid attack and special attack, horrid HP and SpD, but good speed and great defense. Those stats are... well, the same as Onix!

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
Years
I have seen my fairshare of bad spriting but this could end up bad because you probably need to change the backsprite. I used an 8-bit small mario sprite on a torchic and I used the same sprite for front and back but I did not make the sprites face at an angle because you can't put a 2D sprite facing in a 3D direction.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011

"Monkey" is an Onix replacement. It has horrid attack and special attack, horrid HP and SpD, but good speed and great defense. Those stats are... well, the same as Onix!

"Monkey's" stats:

HP: 60
Atk: 60
Def: 60
Sp Atk: 40
Sp Def: 60
Speed: 70

He's a balanced pokemon. Stats directly from in game. Don't make an assumption based on pokemon natures. ^_^;; All my guys ARE changed. ^_^;;

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
Pat, if you're bad at spriting, then why not HIRE a Spriter?
I think you need some logical thinking sometimes.

It's that simple. I think you probably need a OW Spriter too.
Or else, the Hack's idea itself is pretty good, as I'm a fan of Mario games of all time.

dark_ho-oh

Dark Mystical Bird
Years
Videogamerpat, You could go to Spriters-Resource and get better Mario sprites from the game Mario- Luigi the superstar saga for GBA or to Mario - Luigi partners in time for Nds ( I know this because i am also trying make a game with Mario sprites) You have to credit the people who ripped them though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011

Videogamerpat, You could go to Spriters-Resource and get better Mario sprites from the game Mario- Luigi the superstar saga for GBA or to Mario - Luigi partners in time for Nds ( I know this because i am also trying make a game with Mario sprites) You have to credit the people who ripped them though.

Yeaah, and then be forced to have people only use characters that left little to no lasting impression such as generic red blob. One of the whole points of this hack is to stir up some nostaligic memories and to tickle mario nerds as every classic enemy is referenced. I feel using the original sprites just helps to add to that. For me to have a uniform spriting style while hitting all those monsters would be impossible, as no one game contains all the classic mario enemies.

The solution would obviously be to create my own sprites from scratch. Even though it would dimish the nostalgia significantly, the thing holding me back from that is lack of me finding a willing spriter along with my admittedly poor spriting. ^_^;; Still, I rather like the usage of classic sprites versus drawing new ones. So you guys can say how much I "Need" to change it, but I don't care. =P Granted, I definitely will work to have them all uniformed size and proportional so the art style shift between sprites is less jaring.

Haha like the video. Are you going to change the OW to Mario or something?

Indeed I shall! Plenty of pokedotted hills and landscape with eyes! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back