< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub Chit-Chat ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply Post Reply

Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:49 PM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Relaxed
One thing to do is make is so that the player actually has a reason to check them. Because if a player thinks that the Trainer Tips are going to tell them something they already know (which is usually the case), they'll just avoid 'em.

Instead, one might consider making them useful. So, say, if your hack has a new feature, that's one way to promote it. If there's a rare Pokemon or item in the area, hint at it with a Trainer Tip. Because, really, if it's just the standard stuff, there's no reason to have it; it'd just be filler. So if you're going to have 'em, make the subject matter fun or interesting.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:07 PM).
Mr. Magius

I'm always forgetting about placing Trainer Tips signs. I try my best to make them useful for supposed beginners as well as people who are looking for more hack region-specific information. I like to think of them as the hint owls in Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons and it makes them easier to place and write for. Fortunately or unfortunately, I think you could go without Trainer Tips signs if you really wanted to and not many people would notice their absence.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:43 PM).

As most of us know, RSE have internal batteries that allow for a real time clock. My question is how this works in terms of emulators. Using GBA4IOS, the clock appeared to be kept even with the app/ my phone turned off. At first I thought the app was grabbing the time from my phone, but to my surprise, even when I set the clock incorrectly at the start of the game, it ticked up and never "corrected" to the phone's time. I then thought that perhaps the save file types were different, much like how GSC use the .rtcsav, but it is actually the same type of save file that FR and LG use. I always thought that Emerald could keep time with an internal battery independent of the ROM, so how exactly is it being kept on my phone?
Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:41 PM).

How do i recruit rom hack experts? I need people who are good at coding and patching. I wanted to make a gba rom hack of emerald with custom sprites and pokemon cries as a main feature plus a different story line. everyone who contributes gets to be featured as a character in the game! :D
Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:47 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew15845 View Post
How do i recruit rom hack experts? I need people who are good at coding and patching. I wanted to make a gba rom hack of emerald with custom sprites and pokemon cries as a main feature plus a different story line. everyone who contributes gets to be featured as a character in the game! :D
You could study up on rom hacking and become an expert yourself.

Or you could offer cash. People like money.
Check out my great completed hacks:
Pokemon Outlaw

Pokemon CAWPS
Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:31 AM).
ENFP
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
I'd like to purchase a flash card for my gba. After some research on google and ebay my two main options are these:
  1. EZ Flash IV -> 40 Euro + 10 shipping
  2. This Chinese Flash card -> 18 Euro + Free Shipping

I'm leaning towards the second one due to its low price. Has anyone tried one of these? Are there any possible side effects ,like no saving, with the second one or should I just go for it?

I know that the EZ Flash has better quality, but if the differences are not significant I don't mind buying the later one.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:56 AM).
ModeratorBSCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimonas View Post
I'd like to purchase a flash card for my gba. After some research on google and ebay my two main options are these:
  1. EZ Flash IV -> 40 Euro + 10 shipping
  2. This Chinese Flash card -> 18 Euro + Free Shipping

I'm leaning towards the second one due to its low price. Has anyone tried one of these? Are there any possible side effects ,like no saving, with the second one or should I just go for it?

I know that the EZ Flash has better quality, but if the differences are not significant I don't mind buying the later one.
I think they're both a bit expensive for what you're getting but I guess that's expected since the GBA is old. As for the Chinese one, does your PC have a LPT port? Putting your files in a microSD is more convenient than having to connect your GBA to your PC every time, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money.

If you're actually going to use it a lot, I suggest going for the EZ Flash one.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:00 AM).
ENFP
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
I think they're both a bit expensive for what you're getting but I guess that's expected since the GBA is old. As for the Chinese one, does your PC have a LPT port? Putting your files in a microSD is more convenient than having to connect your GBA to your PC every time, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money.

If you're actually going to use it a lot, I suggest going for the EZ Flash one.
In the end I'll go for this one. It has SD support and is also cheap. Although I might have issues ordering it since its from China but its worth the shot. Thanks for the advice and info. If it wasn't for it, I would have ordered the second one without actually having a LTP port
Old 1 Week Ago (3:31 PM).

Guys u gotta try Wind1158's hacks Pokemon victory fire is the best
Old 1 Week Ago (4:07 PM).
You already know it

Nature: Hardy
Is there are working 3DS Emu out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget1014 View Post
Guys u gotta try Wind1158's hacks Pokemon victory fire is the best
Well Wind's hacks are graphically great.But you gotta admit,the grammar is horrible.As much as I love his hacks,there was a BIG Downside to it,The GRAMMAR was damn horrible(No offense Wind).
Old 1 Week Ago (3:02 AM).
Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Annoying Rollout View Post
Is there are working 3DS Emu out there?
If you're asking because you want to play games, no. There are some in development but they aren't ready for usage yet.
Old 4 Days Ago (6:03 PM).

hey, i'm new here. I'm just wondering, are all of you playing on emulators?
Old 4 Days Ago (11:54 PM).
ModeratorCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_25 View Post
For the most part, yeah. Though I occasionally use my DS...granted, I use emulators on my DS, so...

...Yes.
Old 4 Days Ago (2:28 AM).
You already know it

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_25 View Post
Yes but in my case I play GBA games on an emulator on my PSP.
Old 4 Days Ago (3:30 AM).
Learning Pokemon Essentials to Assist PC with Fan Games

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Light and Darkness Dragon
So I found this thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=358972

I find what he is making really interesting. I wish I could help him, but I don't know computer languages other than basic CSS.
Where should I start to learn how to program a program / to write scripts?
Old 2 Days Ago (1:47 AM).
Canine pokemon fan

So i hacked my gold rom with eeveelutions (and eevee) and other rare pokemon, now would you like catching a level 4 Eeveelutions or maybe just Eevees and then evolving them into eeveelutions?
My pokemon uncles and aunts (Note that this is a recolor and from Pokemon Crystal)

Original nick - BH
Name - Bartek
Old 2 Days Ago (4:47 AM).

The image link is broken.
Old 2 Days Ago (7:02 AM).
Very bias and unfair judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light and Darkness Dragon View Post
So I found this thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=358972

I find what he is making really interesting. I wish I could help him, but I don't know computer languages other than basic CSS.
Where should I start to learn how to program a program / to write scripts?
It's cool if you can't contribute. I know a lot of the people who are interested in contributing simply don't know enough to do so. I suggest you first learn how to ROM hack at a decent level. So understanding how to look at ASM code and figuring out what it's doing is the base line. After you can do that, the next step is learning enough C to the point where you can convert those ASM instructions.

If you are still a novice ROM hacker, I suggest starting out with the basics, scripting, mapping ect. Once you're comfortable, try your hand at some of the ASM tutorials lieing about. Advancing your hacking level is pretty easy if you speak to the right people. I find that everyone who wants to learn and frequents the IRC channels with us around usually learns and gets around at a fast pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entei Fan View Post
So i hacked my gold rom with eeveelutions (and eevee) and other rare pokemon, now would you like catching a level 4 Eeveelutions or maybe just Eevees and then evolving them into eeveelutions?
Catching eeveelutions in the wild is OK, but not at level 4. :/

Some of my stuff:
ASM request/resource thread
ASM tutorials thread
ASM Workshop
Pokémon Journeys
Old 1 Day Ago (8:10 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
It's cool if you can't contribute. I know a lot of the people who are interested in contributing simply don't know enough to do so. I suggest you first learn how to ROM hack at a decent level. So understanding how to look at ASM code and figuring out what it's doing is the base line. After you can do that, the next step is learning enough C to the point where you can convert those ASM instructions.

If you are still a novice ROM hacker, I suggest starting out with the basics, scripting, mapping ect. Once you're comfortable, try your hand at some of the ASM tutorials lieing about. Advancing your hacking level is pretty easy if you speak to the right people. I find that everyone who wants to learn and frequents the IRC channels with us around usually learns and gets around at a fast pace.
When I get home from work tonight I'll join the IRC chat, and start asking questions. Thank you FBI for answering my question. I'll do my best.
Old 1 Day Ago (12:45 AM).
Canine pokemon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Catching eeveelutions in the wild is OK, but not at level 4. :/
Roger that

Anyone know how to fix legendary birds behavior? They espace from me, like Nintendo wanted to add them in Gold/Silver but added the 3 Fenines

And it's possible to ADD pokemon (like Glaceon or Leafeon) to Gold databank instead of replacing existing ones?
My pokemon uncles and aunts (Note that this is a recolor and from Pokemon Crystal)

Original nick - BH
Name - Bartek
Old 19 Hours Ago (12:10 PM).

i think the maps in pokemon games could look a little bit nicer
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links