• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC back in the day

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have only been here since 2012 , so the most major changes have been changes in forum titles. I remember when I joined, The Treehouse was called Other Voting Polls and it was way more lenient in the type of discussion allowed than it is now. Then there was Other Trivia, Other Clubs, and Other Chat & Discussion. God, the redundancy in those names makes me cry. I remember when posts in The Playground/Other Trivia didn't go towards your post count, and that section not getting that much traffic cause of that. Many of the places that were forums back then are now just sub-forums. Anime & Manga was Japanese Entertainment. I remember at one point Anime & Manga and Culture &Media were merged was on whole forum called General Entertainment. Then Anime & Manga became a sub-forum, and now it's back to being a separate forum. Really the only changed since 2012 are forum names and forums becoming sub-forums. Back when I joined, signatures and themes were a much bigger deal. People would spend hours making signatures and icons and would have set periods of times for how long they'd have said theme. Now people don't really put effort into signatures. Like me, I just find a gif off tumblr and use the same old links I've always used haha.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
The numbers, oh my gosh.

Nowadays, I don't think there's a thread that can surpass any of those numbers due to the various social medias, messenger apps, etc. etc.

Back in the days we were (mainly) limited to ICQ, MSN, AOL, YM and forums. XD Hopefully PC is still here with us for many many years to come. (:

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2022
Back then, the DCC would get like...roughly a post every few minutes or somewhere around that ballpark? You definitely had to keep on your toes as soon as you posted something because chances are, if you were responding to someone without quoting them, then you would be surprised as 2 or 3 people posted before you on something else, and it would've made for some weird out of context posts. u.u

MY LIFE. Oh man, back when DCCs were crazy, I never figured out how to quote multiple people in one response, so I would awkwardly just refer to them by name in my post and hope they saw it. And yep, by time I would post, I would be so behind that everyone was already on a new topic (and a new page)/

Having to keep up with both this and group chats on MSN, my typing speed was whipped into shape :'D

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Honestly, I think this place will be more active than ever (well since I've been a member) if e get a new announcement in March/April. Even since the time that I've come back it seems that activity has increased.

Also, maybe we should try having a DCC again. :p

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
And I thought the DCC was active when I joined...Jesus is that 1 million views?? Dear lord. I think what's caused me to not be active is a lack of DCC and also a lack of active members I was friends with. The friends I had here is why i kept coming back. I miss that.

Years
Ah yes it's sad to see Treehouse DCC's are now becoming a thing of the past, and we all have the current leaders to blame. It's also weird getting used to Pokemon gaming sections without a catch-all Q&A thread, instead we're now limited to creating new threads if we have questions. Not the case for XY and ORAS though, likely because they're current generation.

Back in my day, the staff weren't as friendly. Or at least most of them. I remember how many bad run-ins I had with some now former mods.

Years
My younger PC days are getting fuzzy. That's probably a good thing. I remember being too obsessed about being a mod, and being on staff, and being in that clique... even though I felt like I was outside of the clique I wanted to be in, haha.
It's strange to me that y'all say staff was a lot meaner. Maybe it was because I was one of the nicer ones? ...was I one of the nicer ones? does anyone even remember me anymore if you're not following me on Twitter? .___.
Then I remember how HQ could be and yeah it could get pretty heated. Or even in the mod sections, where there were some not-very-nice threads. And I participated in those threads because tee hee aren't some members just stupid? Siiiiiigh.

I was quite obsessed with Other Voting Polls. It was my baby because... I don't even know why tbh. Maybe it was because I could post and not think too hard about things. For years, it was All Polls, All The Time, and that's all I wanted from it.
My kneejerk reaction when it changed names and started going in Treehouse's current direction was It Changed, Now It Sucks. Then I realized that things change and that's a good thing! Y'all can probably get to know each other better and have more fun if staff is not breathing down your necks going YOU CAN'T TALK IN A POLL THREAD!! which probably happened too often back in my day.
That was also around the time where mods were expected to be more positive influences to their sections and be more than just a glorified janitor. I'm not much of an ideas person and I was only mod by that point for the perks so I left. It was best for everyone.

Old PC meant a lot to me as a teenager. It was my only source of socializing outside of school. I met a ton of cool people and got into stupid fights and cared about stupid staff positions too much but I don't even care. I was super invested -- maybe too much so -- but I had fun doing it. But it's a little hard to see older members be successful in real life now when I'm not successful at all due to my own mistakes. ^^;

I don't come around anymore because I replaced my PC addiction with a Reddit addiction. D: Wish I could say I moved onto ~bigger and better things~ but not really. It's just that my current gaming interests are easier to talk about on Reddit for whatever reason.
Every once in awhile I see PC linked over there -- usually because of ROM hacks and Pokemon fan games -- but every time I am, I'm like "hell yeah, PC!!" I'm proud of this forum even now. :')

Also: I like that PC has a Twitter account! I don't visit the forum but I at least know y'all are still alive and kicking and having fun as always. That's actually why I logged on. I saw this thread get linked and went "I have opinions on that!!" and came to visit Treehouse to see what's up.

I'm sorry I ended up rambling there.

Mewthree or was it Armor Mewtwo? ;)
-killed and banned for mentioning-

Mewthree w/armor. The epitome of what was wrong with the site admin system. Here is how he reacted to when the title was removed.

A few months ago I ended up running into some old downloads from our MSN conversations and saw some really awful **** he said about some of the admins he hated. And I was like "...I put up with this guy why??"

The answer is leaks. Sweet, sweet leaks. Does anyone even care about staff leaks anymore? Please tell me no.

I'm glad people can't suddenly gain an admin position on PC because of a site and not fit in with the rest of the staff. Or that great staffers aren't restricted from being admins because of those silly rules. PC as a whole has definitely changed for the better.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Mewthree w/armor. The epitome of what was wrong with the site admin system. Here is how he reacted to when the title was removed.

A few months ago I ended up running into some old downloads from our MSN conversations and saw some really awful **** he said about some of the admins he hated. And I was like "...I put up with this guy why??"

The answer is leaks. Sweet, sweet leaks. Does anyone even care about staff leaks anymore? Please tell me no.

I'm glad people can't suddenly gain an admin position on PC because of a site and not fit in with the rest of the staff. Or that great staffers aren't restricted from being admins because of those silly rules. PC as a whole has definitely changed for the better.
OMG, why why? Why that infamous screen? X'D

Btw I love Erika's sig and avatar, haha.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
like I was outside of the clique I wanted to be in, haha.
It's strange to me that y'all say staff was a lot meaner. Maybe it was because I was one of the nicer ones? ...was I one of the nicer ones? does anyone even remember me anymore if you're not following me on Twitter? .___.
I remember you! And you were definitely one of the nicer staff members back in the day. You were so welcoming and friendly to me when I first became a mod, which did help me settle into the new role.

I too miss the days of the popular DCCs. Even though I never posted in them, they were fun to read through because there was always something going on.

Years
Good gosh, back in my day, it was a think for 90% of the members here to display their PC family in their signature, which is not something I see too much of anymore. Oh, and back in my heyday, HeartGold & SoulSilver was its own section, too.

Years
I too miss the days of the popular DCCs. Even though I never posted in them, they were fun to read through because there was always something going on.

I always loved the unpredictable nature of DCCs. That was why so many people came here back in the day. Nowadays the poor DCC is confined to the VIP Forums so it's now limited to less people than it used to.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
alternatively: WHERE O WHERE HAS MY DCC GONE / WHERE O WHERE COULD SHE (or he!) BE
It was apparently only meant to be a temporary thing when it was brought back the last time. Which I find odd given hoe many of the other staff members wanted it back when ti was brought up for discussion.

Not that it won't come back anytime soon I would think

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I wonder how DCC will do in the long run if it comes back. A *long* time ago we needed one monthly, and then it decreased to seasonal later... with so many things that serve the same purpose to just chat with one another online, do you think DCC will last after the initial rush of activity due to nostalgia fuel?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
"Popular" it may be int he past, but whenever you make a post and 10 new posts would've flew by, you couldn't have any meaningful discussions at all. It always degenerated into weather talks, and a bunch of posts all directed to different posts in the past. It was pretty hectic.

There's a charm to some slightly longer posts that take at least a minute until there is a response ^_^

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
That was part of the fun, tbqh, having to keep up with all the simultaneous conversations.

right, i can recall responding to one thing and then in the same 30 sec time period responding to two other people and carrying several conversations

it gets the blood pumping

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
One thing that makes me feel old, and this forum, is about the pokemon anime. Over a decade ago back in 2005/2006 there were people who still honestly believed Misty would return to the show, or that the writers would reunite the original trio, etc. There was this huge Misty club that went on for like a decade from 2004-2011 before it got closed, haha.

Its kind of ironic how even 13 years later, thinking about all those people crying over Misty a decade ago and how they never got what they wanted. The writers really did get rid of her character permanently way back in 2002, so everyone who spent a decade whining about it never got the satisfaction of seeing her return. I'm indifferent so I don't care much, but it almost feels like those people were in vain and watching Misty fade away into oblivion in the anime means they wasted a decade of their lives for nothing. Its pretty funny when you stop to realize how long ago that was now.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
One thing that makes me feel old, and this forum, is about the pokemon anime. Over a decade ago back in 2005/2006 there were people who still honestly believed Misty would return to the show, or that the writers would reunite the original trio, etc. There was this huge Misty club that went on for like a decade from 2004-2011 before it got closed, haha.

Its kind of ironic how even 13 years later, thinking about all those people crying over Misty a decade ago and how they never got what they wanted. The writers really did get rid of her character permanently way back in 2002, so everyone who spent a decade whining about it never got the satisfaction of seeing her return. I'm indifferent so I don't care much, but it almost feels like those people were in vain and watching Misty fade away into oblivion in the anime means they wasted a decade of their lives for nothing. Its pretty funny when you stop to realize how long ago that was now.
This is so true. I wish I could elaborate more on Misty's disappearance but that topic doesn't belong here. If you don't mind we can talk about it over VM? (:

Back