• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lacking inspiration? Look here!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hello, there. I've been noticing something, and I'm sure you have too. Hacking is seemingly dying, and I think it's because of the attitude of the hackers around here today. There's a lack of leadership; no one hack really stands out from the rest. So, I have devised a document that I hope will help inspire everyone to become more positive about their hacks, and will get everyone to try as hard as they can to stand out. Also, if I write any more, uh, inspirational documents, they will be placed here with an update.

Now, with destinedjagold's permission, I lay my document before you.

It's been a long time since I've been gone.

With the emptiness that followed my leaving, came realization:

Realization of who I am and what I have yet to become – realization of why everyone and everything around us only seems to f a l l

My time away from this haven was spent searching. Searching for the answer to an unsolvable question.

This question – it's almost indescribable. Like the feeling of torment; the feeling that broods deep under your skin. It's the one feeling that burns you up from the inside – it's, simply fitted, the feeling of failure.

"Why, why is our hobby – our pastime, our lifestyle – why is it falling, failing, dying?"

The answer to that question does not lie within our unpredictable future; it lies in our scars from the past.

The people around us – the leaders of their era – they're rapidly disappearing. Those people who ushered us in with friendly smiles; the ones who taught us how this world we live in worked; the ones who built the tools that we use to create – they're leaving, whether from forgotten interest, or lack of time, or both.

Before, all of us stumbled blindly, sticking to a path worn from use by those people – our leaders, our elders. No one dared to stray away from the path, for fear of getting lost and left behind.

And as our elders slowly fade off the path, all of us – we no longer move forward, because we don't know which way to go.

"A tree doesn't grow in a straight line."

Instead, it branches out, spreading its leaves in a thousand and one directions. Each branch represents a choice, a different path, one untreaded.. a path without a leader.

There's a time to lead, and there's a time to follow. Right now..

Take the reigns, and branch out to your own direction.. to your own path.​

It's your time..
It's our time to lead.​

Thank you for taking the time to read. Please, comment on your feelings/opinions below.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
This is true most great hackers
EXAMPLE:
Baro, The The The The The, Disturbed and many others

Have left hacking I think hacking is dieing most people want to make a game but dont have the attention span to do it then they try they make a mistake and they have to restart again but they choose not to I think this is a informational report about the lack in hacking

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Hacking is seemingly dying
ROM hacking is bigger than it's ever been. The hobby is hardly dying, and the lack of inspiration you see has always been here. That does not mean that nobody does good work.
no one hack really stands out from the rest.
Look harder; several high‐quality hacks have been released or are being heavily worked on. Good hacks are very naturally rarer than the mediocre ones.

That's some nice poetry, though.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I agree that very few hackers and hacks stand out from others. I can think of a few people that I would consider stand outs. People like DJG Goodies, Atlus, HFI, Watermelon, and that's about it. But hopefully someday a newbie like me will consider me a great hacker or a standout.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Well mate, you know my thoughts on this great document. I like it so much that I have linked it in my siggy :P I thought I would help you out with replying to some of the comments :P

This is true most great hackers
EXAMPLE:
Baro, The The The The The, Disturbed and many others

Have left hacking I think hacking is dieing most people want to make a game but dont have the attention span to do it then they try they make a mistake and they have to restart again but they choose not to I think this is a informational report about the lack in hacking

Seconded. The great hackers have left PC, Rom Hacking is dieing in quality, not quantity, and there is no way to deny it.

ROM hacking is bigger than it's ever been. The hobby is hardly dying, and the lack of inspiration you see has always been here. That does not mean that nobody does good work.Look harder; several high‐quality hacks have been released or are being heavily worked on. Good hacks are very naturally rarer than the mediocre ones.

No, Rom Hacking is dieing. There is really no way to deny to be honest. It may have grown in quantity. But the quality is quickly decreasing. Yes, good hacks are rarer. But they used to be more common than now. And the newer hackers, have been making five hacks in a week and stopping. No inspiration, this document makes me hope people with idolize the "higher tier" of hackers.

I agree that very few hackers and hacks stand out from others. I can think of a few people that I would consider stand outs. People like DJG Goodies, Atlus, HFI, Watermelon, and that's about it. But hopefully someday a newbie like me will consider me a great hacker or a standout.

Yes, still loads of hacks standout from others. I consider a lot of people standouts, only from the current breed of hacking. But, I am relatively new so, I cannot put my name up there next to LaZ, Panda, DJG, Watermelon, Cierra, Poképal17, Zeikku, TB Pro, Surf and many others.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
To be honest, I will be one to admit that hacking isn't going too well. It may not be dying in spirit, but in quality it is. Good hackers have gone, more hacks that are never being finished are arriving. This is a reason why I dislike mapping. I hardly see any good maps anymore. Most are too poor to even comment about. This goes for hacks. The good ones never get finished, and the bad ones get criticised. The "new" hacker also seems to be unwilling to accept Constructive Criticism nowadays, saying they are being insulted, and none are said, when it is being said. Hacking isn't what it was... The only thing that actually annoys me in the new hacking times is the fact that people are getting lazier. they expect everyone to do it for them sometimes...

I consider myself a newbie in some aspects, but the newbies nowadays... Anyway, everything that makes a certain hack unique can be easiy copied. there is no unique thing in hacks anymore. Everything unique has been done...

So what are you saying? We need a hack that is better than the rest? Umm, that will spark arguments, and competitiveness...

Last edited:

Kindo

What!!
Years
Hacking is dieing i haven't been here long but all i can see most of the times is people not willing to put in effort i can't really say anything because im new to hacking so i have bad quality

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Hacking is not dying!
The Progressing Hacks is full of new and new hacks that will get no-where...
Good hacking is dying!
Why?
People just use tools; with no creativity or anything...
And having a one-day hack only fills the forum's space. (check how many pages there are in the Scrapbox; you'd be surprised.)

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Yes Melon, we know hacking in general is not dieing. But this document is all about how the quality is dieing, not the quantity. The quantity is better than ever before. It's the quality that is worrying. Your good self must know about how people are giving up on hacks and making five a week. Now, we need hackers that can stick with and flourish with one hack.

You are actually a good example of this, you seem to be doing a brilliant job with turquoise. Now, you couldn't script before Turquoise and now after sticking with one hack you now are an adept scripter. This is what we want, we want people who learn new things and can become brilliant hackers and make fantastic hacks.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I'm trying to learn how to hack in most if not all areas. I think it's going well and I'm learning spriting with the help of Chesu and HFI. But I need a lot of time to focus on scripting. It's just not my thing.

Years
If hacking is dying then i'll lighten it up abit with the two hacks i'm releasing soon.
So be sure to play them when there released.;)

- Munchlax

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
Years
Good Speech... I learned my lesson from commenting on fair hacks...

Well, If I'll make a hack, I'll go consult first this thread for my inspiration, then ask the great hackers, then make one!

Good Speech *Sniff*...

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
So what are you saying? We need a hack that is better than the rest? Umm, that will spark arguments, and competitiveness...

Well, what I am specifically trying to say here, is not that certain hacks should be better than others.. (although, in the course of things, that will happen) but that people should try to, er, make theirs stand out. Like you said, the originality is pretty much gone here now.. people are pulling hack ideas out of nowhere.. Honestly, the only good hack story is one that you love and enjoy to work with. If you don't like space aliens, to hell with aliens! Make a hack about kings and queens or something that you would like!

A big step in learning to hack for beginners is finding your perfect story. I mean, look at all of the hacks that are currently in the Showcase; especially the ones that are finished. Those hackers loved their story well enough to finish it.. or come very very close. You have to identify with the story before you can begin to make significant progress with your hack. And then, after that point, you can worry about how good your hack looks and stuff. What I am saying, is that the originality is missing.. and that's what's making nothing stand out. They all look the same and bland..

Imposter Oak

"hahaha omg ur so funny" True
Years
ROM hacking is bigger than it's ever been. The hobby is hardly dying, and the lack of inspiration you see has always been here. That does not mean that nobody does good work.Look harder; several high‐quality hacks have been released or are being heavily worked on. Good hacks are very naturally rarer than the mediocre ones.

No, Rom Hacking is dieing. There is really no way to deny to be honest. It may have grown in quantity. But the quality is quickly decreasing. Yes, good hacks are rarer. But they used to be more common than now. And the newer hackers, have been making five hacks in a week and stopping. No inspiration, this document makes me hope people with idolize the "higher tier" of hackers.

ROM hacking isn't dying, outside of Pokemon hacking and a few other high-selling title scenes the average quality is pretty damn high. There are a number of so called good Pokemon hacks too, still being developed, so it isn't over for Pokemon entirely though. I don't think it's inspiration that's the problem for newer hackers, there are a number of more obvious things that are affecting overall quality in this place (and YouTube :laugh:):

• The age of most Pokemon ROM hackers is now quite low, which means bad grammar, spelling, lack of commitment, experience etc. Although there are exceptions, you've got make sure ROM hacking is for you, for a start.
  • Lack of technical understanding. Tools, tools, tools. Not a problem in itself but it leads to secondary infections. Anything outside your basic low-level tools are meant to make full-scale Pokemon hacking more practical not more sloppy. The only ones who can really use high-level tools well are the people who can hack without them (hex editor!).
At the cold light of day creative Pokemon ROM hacking isn't just about coming up with ideas, it's being able to implement those ideas successfully. This line of work is a strange fusion between game design and "real" ROM hacking (using Google, look up a document by InVerse called "On the Essence of ROM Hacking").

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
ROM hacking isn't dying, outside of Pokemon hacking and a few other high-selling title scenes the average quality is pretty damn high. There are a number of so called good Pokemon hacks too, still being developed, so it isn't over for Pokemon entirely though. I don't think it's inspiration that's the problem for newer hackers, there are a number of more obvious things that are affecting overall quality in this place (and YouTube :laugh:):

• The age of most Pokemon ROM hackers is now quite low, which means bad grammar, spelling, lack of commitment, experience etc. Although there are exceptions, you've got make sure ROM hacking is for you, for a start.
  • Lack of technical understanding. Tools, tools, tools. Not a problem in itself but it leads to secondary infections. Anything outside your basic low-level tools are meant to make full-scale Pokemon hacking more practical not more sloppy. The only ones who can really use high-level tools well are the people who can hack without them (hex editor!).
At the cold light of day creative Pokemon ROM hacking isn't just about coming up with ideas, it's being able to implement those ideas successfully. This line of work is a strange fusion between game design and "real" ROM hacking (using Google, look up a document by InVerse called "On the Essence of ROM Hacking").

I agree with most said here, apart from the age part. Umm, it isn't due to age. It's how much people care. Some people hack, but take no notice on what they do. This is why we have this thread I think, to make them realise how rubbish some of them are, with Grammar Errors, bad mapping and bad scripts, as well as (the easiest thing to do) tiles. This is making them aware of the errors, and saying to get over them, I think...Not sure, but that is the impression I get.

Years
Well when i came here to Pokecommunity, i was a complete NOOB at hacking, i had bad grammer, bad storylines, and i couldn't do anything apart from bad mapping, but then as the months went by i learned alot of things from the top hackers, and reading Tutorials, plus my grammer has improved alot.
So i don't see why NOOB hackers can't do the same as i did.
If you want proof look at all my hacks threads.

- Munchlax

Nikkie.

Nikeiphoros, eh?
Years

This dude just went Martin Luther King on our asses! Seriously.
Me, before my big break, I was usless, I lied that I could map, sprite and what not.. But while I was away, I grew up? And I came back, and learnt.

Don't moan, because half the noobs on here, are about 8 or 9.
They have a dream!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
That's because people got a lot of questions that nobody answers on....

Sorry, I know that to be false. Most questions have been asked before. People don't search for answers themselves, or try new things. You don't need to ask questions every hour, because it is unnecessary.

Back