• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?
*looks at username* Persian. Though she gets a bad rap in the anime, most who know me know my opinion of that "TV show." Anyway, she's an elegant and agile Pokemon, which fits my character well. She also learns a wide variety of attacks, making her versatile as well. I also enjoy writing her as aPokemon concermned about being proper and polite, much like the royal Pokemon she is XD

Do you use romance in fanfiction often? Is it a main theme or is it a side plot? Is it limited to human characters only?
Since my skills at writing romantic scenes are worse than my skills at most sports, I'm going to have to go with a big "NO" on this one. There might be inklings of crushes, and two characters who make cameo appearances from the games are now married, but there's nothing hot and heavy.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Yes, I use romance for the main purpose of the readers being able to relate to my characters. I treat it very, very carefully and I try to make it as real as possible.

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
Years
What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?
I don't have a favorite. Though some are funner to write about then others. I think that one of my character's magikarp will provide some interesting/funny material.

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
My favorite Pokemon to write-

I don't think I have one. I like to try to make each Pokemon unique, compared to the way it's normally portrayed, such as (perhaps) a GOOD Koffing, or a beautiful Arbok, or something like that. Not so much yet in my current fanfic, but the next chapter is pretty much about the main character's Pokemon.

Which one I'd most like to write about-

Bellsprout. Just for kicks.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I like writing about Treecko and Charmander. I also found the Beedrill society I made up to be interesting to write.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
My favorite Pokemon to write about?
I'm sort of falling in love with Stunky and Skuntank as far as writing about comedy in Pokemon. As far as battling, I love agile Pokemon like the Treecko line and the Chimchar line.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
This has been on my mind for a little while...

What do you think is the most effective POV to write in, and why?

Personally, I've always liked stories written in first person because of how it only reveals things to the main character's knowledge, and leaves the actions of others up to interpretation rather than it being made completely clear. That type of suspense/mystery building always gets to me, which is why I think this the most effective one.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011
Do you use romance in fanfiction often? Is it a main theme or is it a side plot? Is it limited to human characters only?

Romance? Never as the main genre, and the romance, if any, would be rather subtle unless used for humorous purposes. I prefer romance that's there but not so prominent as to drown whatever else is happening in the story. And it certainly wouldn't be limited to human characters.

I don't think any POV is the "most effective". It all depends on the story and the tale you're trying to tell. I do have a special place in my heart for second-person though. :/

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

This all depends on the sort of effect you want. Every point of view is used for a different purpose. If you want to have a plot-centered fanfic that takes place across a large map, you'll probably want to go for some sort of third-person POV. (Omniscient or limited-omniscient tends to be common in this case.) If you want the readers to sympathize for the main character or to get into the mindset of said character, then first person. If you want the readers to be hit by the events of the story, then second person.

Likewise, every point of view has its problems. First person, for example, tends to be incredibly difficult to pull off because you're restricted to the mindset of a character, which in turn is limited by his or her mental state or setting. For example, take the novel We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Fantastic novel, really establishes a dystopian society. Problem there, though, is that we're led to question whether or not the government really has a hold on the main character's mind because of the fact that he's not just spouting propaganda (despite the fact that he's loyal to said government, which believes that every mind must be a machine, and can't remember a time when humanity was actually free). For an easier example that doesn't get into pretentious lit crit, imagine attempting to tell a story from a baby's point of view and think of all the ways that you'd be restricted by that mindset. I've read stories that have attempted this kind of narrator but failed because they forgot who their narrator was.

Additionally, we're limited by the character's knowledge, which means that the narrator has all the potential for becoming an unreliable narrator, or someone who may or may not constantly misinform us as to what's actually happening. Think of a mystery novel told from the murderer's point of view. He'd probably not admit right away that he's a murderer (especially if he's speaking to the audience instead of letting the audience psychically enter his mind), which means that the entire story might not be revealed to us as it actually happened. While there have been writers who can pull this off, it tends to be very difficult for someone who hasn't written almost all their lives, if you know what I mean. (In other words, you need to practice to pull off that sort of effect plausibly.)

On the other hand, first person is also one of the more dramatic points of view. The limitation and the constant questioning of how reliable the narrator actually is, when done well, can get the reader to really think and piece together the story in a way most other points of view (namely, the third person varieties) really can't. Additionally, as I've said before, the first person point of view tends to also force the reader to feel something for the speaker, given that they're the ones leading the reader through the story, which adds to the dynamic effect of the climax and resolution of the work. The unfortunate point to the matter is, though, that if it's not done well (which isn't entirely difficult to do), it either makes the narration weak or confuses the reader (in a bad way).

Personally, though, I prefer the third person points of view. While they tend to be drab (because the reader can see everything, not just the narrow view of the character's eyes, especially if the specific point of view is omniscient), it's also easier to work with. Every detail you want the reader to see can be passed along to said reader without having the author really think about how to get the narrator to look in the direction of, for example, the gun on the wall without making it come off forced, if that makes sense. That and you can poke into the mindsets of any character you want (one, two, all, none), which can sometimes help explain things to the reader a bit clearer... unless, of course, you choose to go the Hemmingway route and limit the amount of telepathy the narrator uses on the characters.

Preferences aside, it just depends on what the story calls for, I suppose.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
I'm not a fan of romance at all, and therefore don't really like to write about it. However, I have been gaining a tendency to use romance as a plot device, or perhaps more of a 'character device', because I've been increasingly realizing that love and lust can do all sorts of interesting things to people as indirect side-effects:

Spoiler:

Symbolically for my general disliking of romance, all of them ended in personal tragedy. I really don't think I could write a lasting romance, actually. It was painful enough just writing those few lovey-dovey chapters of The Fall of a Leader. I mean, I can write characters who are a couple, but I couldn't write it in a romantic way for any length of time. When I do insert romances, I prefer to make them extremely unromantic (see part six of The Fall of a Leader).

As I said, my romances are always strictly there to have a particular impact on the characters in a larger storyline, so in that way you could say it's always a side plot. However, the impact can be extremely important to the storyline, such as in The Fall of a Leader, so perhaps you could call it a 'main theme' there. At least my stories are never about romance. They're about characters who may be shaped by romance to varying degrees.

My romance is near-exclusive to Pokémon characters, actually. :P Mostly this is because the three main 'romances' I've written were in my Scyther spin-offs. Or well, actually, in The Quest for the Legends, the main human characters are children and I really, really don't like romance between children, to the point that the random Lyra/Will at the end of The Amber Spyglass singlehandedly ruined His Dark Materials for me. The Pokémon having romances of one sort or another I can handle because at least they (or well, some of them) are adults. Morphic's first three chapters are about the scientists who created the Pokémorphs, which is the only reason the Dave/Jane relationship got written to any extent at all - as the focus shifts to the morphs themselves, only two of them have a mental age I'd be comfortable with writing any sort of romance about, and one of them is a sociopath who isn't likely to be falling in love with anyone ever, period. So there's one candidate left for possible romance there. And she's only half-human and isn't very likely to get any love back even if she gets a crush on someone, which I suppose she might.

This is completely dependent on the story. I've seen works in every POV that absolutely would not have worked as well in any other one. They're effective at different things, but I do think that third person limited is the most versatile of the bunch. Most things that aren't completely dependent on the specific traits of the other POVs (e.g. unreliable narrators) could work at least decently in third person limited. It's flexible enough to allow you into the mind of the character but also outside it, and even briefly into the minds of other characters, so it's a kind of all-purpose POV, in a way. Obviously, that doesn't mean that many stories don't work much better in another POV, but there are many stories that just wouldn't work in, say, first person at all, while there are relatively few that couldn't hypothetically be rewritten in third person limited. It is my personal preferred choice of POV for most of the stories I've been writing recently.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Random praise: I really want to read Fall of a Leader/Scyther's Story now... that messed up kind of stuff usually wouldn't appeal to me.

Rebellious Treecko

The coolest.
Years
Surprise.

I've been planning a fanfic before I even joined these forums. (around april-may) The thing is, I'm a bad writer and I haven't even started it. (I have some ideas)
(Too scared to give out the characters, though)

(Anyway, since I'm here, I might as well answer some topics.)

It depends for me. Mostly the third person would work well, but I like the first person too. It fits better during important scenes.

Mostly a side plot, but an important one. Something that grows over time as the story progresses.
I think romance works for all kinds of characters.

Do you ever get that feeling in writing where you just don't want to write anymore?
Yeah, it's happened to me lots of times....

---

Something I thought up a while ago...
What kind of personality do you like to see in a character? What quirks or attitudes do you like to give your characters?

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
I don't think I have one. I like to try to make each Pokemon unique, compared to the way it's normally portrayed, such as (perhaps) a GOOD Koffing, or a beautiful Arbok, or something like that.

I think there was a beautiful Arbok in the Pipipi Adventure manga (Pokemon Magical Journey in the states).

One of my planned projects is a hentai (a non-rape hentai, at that). What does that tell you? That said, it is going to be a main theme in at least one of my stories. I also intend to use it in my serial, though I'm unsure how much it'll effect the story. It does involve the main protagonist, so it may turn out to play a major role, plus it would lead into the sequel (which stars his children).

For the most part, I see it being restricted to human characters, though Pokemon mating may be touched upon a few times (I might have most of the protagonist's family's Eievui descend from his grandparents' Leafeon and Glaceon), and I do have another series planned with a bit of a Mystery Dungeon vibe to it, so Pokemon romances may be inevitable there as well. Also, after my one-shot that my hentai's based off of kinda fell apart when I first wrote it, I kinda feel that romance is a lot easier to work with when the subject of sex is mixed in, and even when it's not actually shown, it'll be heavily implied (one character involved in a relationship in my serial is quite perverted, for that matter). But for reasons that should be obvious, any and all sex scenes (either all-out H, or something softcore where the details aren't shown and is overall something that could be gotten away with on public television, as I intend for some manga) will exclusively involve human characters (well, almost exclusively.... in my erogee, Pokemon could be in the background, even interfere with characters in the act, but they're not actually involved in THAT sort of way).

Depends on the story, as others said. But I prefer third-person, myself. BTW, wasn't this (or a similar) question already asked a few pages back?

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
What kind of personality do you like to see in a character? What quirks or attitudes do you like to give your characters?

I personally like complex character personalities. Sometime I like ones that stray away from the regular ideas of them but sometimes I like archetypes too. For each of my characters I always give them at least 2 parts to their personality.

I dunno, thats a tough question. I like each character to have something different about them. I also like each to have a backstory. I think you know what quirk/attitude I like to give to my characters :P

txteclipse

The Last
Years

A lot of my character development is created for the reader by writing out the character's thought process, so I pretty much need third person omnipresent. I have a lot of characters to build, so I can't allow myself to be limited. However, for sake of plot, I also don't reveal much unless my mains know about whatever said thing happens to be. Therefore, my work has a bit of the suspense and drama that first person can create, which I feel is rather good.

I like characters that seem reasonable. It makes it easier for the reader to correlate with them, and I feel it has a greater impact. My characters have certain flaws that show up from time to time, which cause them to struggle when a shallower character would continue without any development.

My favorite type of personality to write about is mine. I'm mostly quiet and respectful and quick to find the good in things, although at times I can be overly emotional and a bit intolerant of other people's shortcomings.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I use romance as a side plot for my main fics. Periodically, there are times that I write a one-shot that deals mostly with romance between two characters. But for the actual chaptered fics, romance is just there to add some extra dimension to the characters.

For my Pokemon fics, I only have romance between the human characters. I really don't know why, but I can't picture Pokemon in some sort of "relationship". My Digimon characters, however, fall into relationships, which create some trouble for their linked partners.

Like others, I say it depends on the effect you wish to leave your readers in. I myself prefer writing in the third-person limited POV, since I fail at the other POVs. (I am going to write a Sim storyline in first-person, so we'll see how that goes.)

We had this question a few pages ago. I'll see if I can dredge up my old answer, since it hasn't changed.

x.x I so want to redo this lounge.

After I get done building houses. Dx And I still need to write today. Ah well, that's what loading times are for.

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012

damn you for making this question as I was typing up my last post. But I think Hanako's right, this does sound like it was asked a few pages ago, and I think I had multiple paragraphs for an answer. That said, I'll keep this one short and sweet: realistic, down-to-earth types. For female characters, I honestly like the gentle, submissive, stereotype-adhering feminine types (incidentally, I hear that this is the ideal woman in Japan, which is probably why they crop up often in anime), though the cold and serious types are also nice (for both genders).

I've got two new questions which I don't think were asked before.

Do you use Pokemon nicknames? If so, any particular examples?
After a lot of thinking, I've decided to give most of the Pokemon in my works nicknames (even though this does defy canon a bit... so far as we know, the miko sisters never nicknamed their Eevee evolutions in the games nor anime, albeit few characters ever do). Also, the nicknames are a bit more thought out than simply using part of the Pokemon species' name or pointing out obvious traits (like the Pokemon Special manga, which often involved shortening the species' name, maybe adding on something like "suke" or "pyon"), however, the names can still relate to such things, but a bit more vaguely. For instance, Satsuki (the oldest miko sister) gives her Jolteon the nickname "Susan". It may seem unrelated at first (especially to a westerner), but you could see a resemblance if you write out Susan in katakana スザン and compare it to Jolteon's Japanese name, Thunders サンダース.

Do you intend to give your characters any accents or dialects?
Thus far, I have one planned. In my erogee, there's a character who moved to the Houen desert from the Jouto region (Blackthorn City, to be exact). To make him stand out a bit as a foreigner, I intend to have him speak with a Nagoya dialect (which I think is roughly accurate to the area of Japan that Blackthorn is based on). To describe a Nagoya dialect... I believe it's close to the standard language, but using a few out-dated terms and sounding a bit aristocratic overall.

Considering my serial takes place in Ecruteak City (obviously based off of Kyoto), I feel I should have some characters speak with a Kansai dialect (especially the Kyoto variant.... if you're a Bleach fan, you might be a touch familiar with the Kyoto dialect, as it's used by Gin Ichimaru). Problem is, I'm picturing most of the main cast simply speaking with standard Japanese.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
I'm currently liking the way my lead character's personality is (Diamond). He's more of a laid back type of guy who doesn't like to get in to too much trouble and would rather take care of business than fighting evil. Basically, I like neutral personailties.

Do you use Pokemon nicknames? If so, any particular examples?
Yah. Some of my nicknames are generic, but some I love. In my fic, I have a Stunky named Rose. As far as generic, a Prinplup named Trident.

Do you intend to give your characters any accents or dialects?
I honestly never thought about this. However, I think I'm planning to add dialects and accents in the future of my fic, now that I've just read this question, lol. In my fic, Diamond and Dawn have a north USA accent and Pearl has a southern accent.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Do you use Pokemon nicknames? If so, any particular examples? Kind of, I prefer they're "real" names (the ones given to them by their clans/flocks/friends/whatever) Sometimes I use nicknames and sometimes I just use their species names.

Do you intend to give your characters any accents or dialects? Kind of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back