• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[HOW-TO] Hacking on a Mac, RUnning EXE's

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022

[HOW-TO] Hacking on a Mac, running EXE's

This may be a very short guide, but it should help lots of mac users!

Ok to Start off, we will be using a very great program, download this program (click on the image)

Now you have to extract and put in your applications folder. After that you should open up Trix and download some utilities such as...

• Native DCOM
  • gdiplus.dll
  • access runtime 2000
  • Visual basic runtimes
  • ...whatever more you want

Now you are ready to open up EXE's with the winehelper, all EXE's you download should have a darwine logo now, report which apps work, here is what work so far.

Apps that work (report to me what does!)

1. Advance Map
  2. UNLZ-GBA (has some errors)
  3. XSE (woot!)
  4. PokePic (major errors)

Further info can be found here.

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
I tried it but it seems it only works on intel macs. Too bad I have an old iBook G4. I really want to make a hack. :(

Aww man, that stinks! umm, if you install linux on your comp and use wie on linux (for PPC's) then i think it'd work!

~CyberKitsune09~

Proud Tails fan!
Years
Actually I was really the first one [on pokecomm] to Use wine (Darwine) on a mac but Meh, Whatever.

I'd Like to report that no$gba Also works under Darwine (Using no$gba render only, openGL crashes it)

And The main diff Between crossover and wine(Darwine) on a MAC is that in Crossover, OpenGL/Direct X Actually works, Darwine, Not so much.

And it only works with Intel's because There is NO PPC Ver of win, and wine depends on the intel processer to execuete the windows code.

~cpuDuDe08~

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Actually I was really the first one to Use wine (Darwine) on a mac but Meh, Whatever.

I'd Like to report that no$gba Also works under Darwine (Using no$gba render only, openGL crashes it)

And The main diff Between crossover and wine(Darwine) on a MAC is that in Crossover, OpenGL/Direct X Actually works, Darwine, Not so much.

And it only works with Intel's because There is NO PPC Ver of win, and wine depends on the intel processer to execuete the windows code.

~cpuDuDe08~

I have been using Darwine for ever but on the last update everything worked very stable and was actually usable!

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2010
Awesome. I have windows on my mac with boot camp, but this will be nice if I don't want to switch.

Does PKSV work with this?

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Awesome. I have windows on my mac with boot camp, but this will be nice if I don't want to switch.

Does PKSV work with this?

test it out, I have not tried, tell me if it does and i can add it to the list.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
Years
You should write that this is only for x86, i only have an iBook G3, 3x iMac G3 and an iMac G4, none of them are Intel...
I am hacking on a Linux Laptop with nonworking battery...Wine there too :)
if you want the Original Wine, go to http://www.winehq.org/

iTeruri

iAm
Years
It works now (I have a new intel mac :D)

Howevere I experience some problems:
- If try to open poképic, it says pokeroms.ini is missing. I downloaded the said file, but it still doesn't work
- If I try to save a sprite in unlz gba, nothing happens. Is this one of the problems you mentioned in the first post, if not what am I doing wrong
- Dexter has the same problem as poképic

Could you help me with these problems? Or should I look up some other tutorails?

However pokétext and advancemap are working fine! I tried to edit some texts and the pallet town map, and it's great to walk trough a desert village. xD

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
It works now (I have a new intel mac :D)

Howevere I experience some problems:
- If try to open poképic, it says pokeroms.ini is missing. I downloaded the said file, but it still doesn't work
- If I try to save a sprite in unlz gba, nothing happens. Is this one of the problems you mentioned in the first post, if not what am I doing wrong
- Dexter has the same problem as poképic

Could you help me with these problems? Or should I look up some other tutorails?

However pokétext and advancemap are working fine! I tried to edit some texts and the pallet town map, and it's great to walk trough a desert village. xD

Yes, as of now it is really buggy (in some programs), try the crossover demo, but it costs money for full.

Hyunbin

w00t!~
Years
it's asking something about X11.app <_<
i'm trying to open advancemap 1.92 btw

EDIT/
i solved that problem
but now i'm having a new one
it says
"The directory "Z:\Users\HyunBdrag0n\Documents\Pokemon DREAMSTAR Hack\AdvanceMap 1.92\Ini" does not exist. All "-ini" files have to be placed inside that directory and the respective sub-directories, or AM will not work. Please correct this!"

the slashes are replaced by korean won symbols (which is what i get whenever i press that key when i'm typing in japanese on my windows computer)

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
it's asking something about X11.app <_<
i'm trying to open advancemap 1.92 btw

EDIT/
i solved that problem
but now i'm having a new one
it says
"The directory "Z:\Users\HyunBdrag0n\Documents\Pokemon DREAMSTAR Hack\AdvanceMap 1.92\Ini" does not exist. All "-ini" files have to be placed inside that directory and the respective sub-directories, or AM will not work. Please correct this!"

the slashes are replaced by korean won symbols (which is what i get whenever i press that key when i'm typing in japanese on my windows computer)

Hmm that is weird, may I sugest you reinstalling your wine, then putiing AMap in a closer document to the home directory

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
Thank you so much for this, I've successfully got Advance Map up and running on my Mac. I've run into a problem with XSE, though; whenever I try to open it, I get an Error message that says "The file 'OLEAUT32.DLL' is out of date. This program requires a newer version." Since you report that XSE works on Macs, I figure this isn't a problem that everyone has, so it must be something specific to my computer.

When I do a file search on my computer to try to locate a file named "oleaut32.dll" the only thing that comes up is a file by that name located in the file Pokewitch. (By the way, PokeScript does not not work for me, in case you'd like to know which programs haven't successfully been used on Darwine so far.) I thought that maybe there were two copies of "oleaut32.dll" in my computer, and that the one in Pokewitch was being read instead of the other one. I deleted the Pokewitch file (since PokeScript isn't working anyway), but the error message didn't change at all. It still says the file is "out of date," which either means there still is a version of oleaut32.dll hiding on my computer or it doesn't seem to realize that it isn't finding the file it needs all together.

Has anyone else run into this problem, or know what it means/how to fix it?

(I'll possibly be installing Windows soon and using Boot Camp or some sort of virtual machine, just so I don't have to deal with all this crap anymore. But until then it'd be nice to actually be able to compile scripts onto the maps I'm making.)

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Thank you so much for this, I've successfully got Advance Map up and running on my Mac. I've run into a problem with XSE, though; whenever I try to open it, I get an Error message that says "The file 'OLEAUT32.DLL' is out of date. This program requires a newer version." Since you report that XSE works on Macs, I figure this isn't a problem that everyone has, so it must be something specific to my computer.

When I do a file search on my computer to try to locate a file named "oleaut32.dll" the only thing that comes up is a file by that name located in the file Pokewitch. (By the way, PokeScript does not not work for me, in case you'd like to know which programs haven't successfully been used on Darwine so far.) I thought that maybe there were two copies of "oleaut32.dll" in my computer, and that the one in Pokewitch was being read instead of the other one. I deleted the Pokewitch file (since PokeScript isn't working anyway), but the error message didn't change at all. It still says the file is "out of date," which either means there still is a version of oleaut32.dll hiding on my computer or it doesn't seem to realize that it isn't finding the file it needs all together.

Has anyone else run into this problem, or know what it means/how to fix it?

(I'll possibly be installing Windows soon and using Boot Camp or some sort of virtual machine, just so I don't have to deal with all this crap anymore. But until then it'd be nice to actually be able to compile scripts onto the maps I'm making.)

Did you install the .net frameworks and module fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back