• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Onyx Version

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
Updates - September 04, 2008.

Screenshots - Taken off.

I took the screenshots off because I edited those maps a bit. I'll put them back up once I take new screenshots.

Basic Info
Game Name: Pokemon: Onyx Version (Sequel to Pokemon: D/P)

Staff
4th Gen Matt - Producer/Game Designer/Web Designer

Introduction

Hello there, my name is Matt, aka 4th Gen Matt on the PokeCommunity forums. I have always had a problem with the official Pokemon games made by Nintendo in one way or the other. As a result, it has always been a dream of mine to create my own Pokemon game. Luckily, I read somewhere on this forum that the key to making a great game is to thoroughly plan the game out on WordPad or Microsoft Word. So that is exactly what I am doing. I am not going to ask anybody to help me, but if you feel you want to help me, then feel free to PM me and ask what you can do to help. Otherwise, some support and the occasional answer to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Now I have read all over these forums and learned what everybody hates to see in a fan-made game. The #1 thing people hate is Spelling and/or grammar errors. To clear this up, I would like to assure you all that I am great with spelling and grammar. So chances are, I will not make any mistakes with them. One more thing only, I am having a ton of trouble finding an RPG Maker 3 Pokemon Starter kit. So if anybody knows of a RM2k3 starter kit or of a RMXP starter kit that is compatible with RM2k3 it would be greatly appreciated if you would provide me with a link to the download. I'll keep you updated on the progress of my game. One more thing: I am not 100% sure I can complete the game, so I am not making any promises.

Pokemon: Onyx Version Plot/Storyline

[Damion gets off of his Staraptor and starts walking back to his house, only to be stopped by Professor Rowan]
Rowan: "Damion, have you heard? Lucas has just become the Sinnoh League champion!
Damion: "Thats cool."
Rowan: "He is to arrive here shortly, I would like to speak to you both in my lab when he gets here."
[Lucas jumps off his Pidgeot and greets you. You then both follow Professor Rowan to his lab.]
Damion: "So what is this about Professor?"
Rowan: "Well as you may or may not know, an earthquake struck the outskirts of Twinleaf Town recently."
Rowan: "Nobody was injured and damage is minimal, but what is truly interesting is what the earthquake has revealed."
Lucas: "And what might that be?"
Rowan: "The earthquake knocked down a few dozen of the thick trees surrounding the town. After further investigation, we found a lake, which when crossed, led to the discovery of a brand new region!"
Damion: "What is this region called?"
Rowan: "I believe it is called the Fuji region, and I have heard that they host their very own Pokemon League challenge."
Lucas: "So what does this have to do with us?"
Rowan: "Well, I have heard that there are several Pokemon in the Fuji region that you cannot find in the Sinnoh region. So I want you two to take on the Pokemon League challenge and fill up your Pokedexs with these new Pokemon."
Lucas: "Sounds great, how do we get there?"
Rowan: "Boats have been prepared to take people to the island, there is something I must tell you though. The Fuji region Pokemon League challenge does not allow the use of Pokemon from other regions. All Pokemon you use must be received or caught from the Fuji Region.
Lucas: "Will we be supplied with these Pokemon?"
Rowan: "Yes, once you get off of the boat, you will be in a place called Coral Harbor. A Pokemon Lab resides on this harbor, walk in and tell Professor Willow that I sent you."
Damion: "Sounds good to me, lets go!"
Rowan: "Thats the spirit! The boat docks are to the south, just get on the boat and you will shortly be in the Fuji Region."
Damion and Lucas: "Alright, lets go!"

END.

Well that is what I had in mind. And just in case anybody was wondering, you do play as Damion in this game.

Starter Pokemon

Pokémon that require trade/use of stones are now going to have a set level to evolve.

Fire: Magby --Lv. 30-> Magmar --Lv. 40-> Magmortar
Water: Poliwag --Lv. 25-> Poliwhirl --Lv. 35--> Poliwrath
Grass: Seedot --Lv. 14-> Nuzleaf --Lv.30-> Shiftry

Battle System

I decided to take a new route on the battling then most people do. I am going to follow the route of the Pokémon anime. RPG Maker 2003 allows you 4 party slots. One of those slots has to be the hero (Lucas/Dawn.) So that leaves 3 Pokémon allowed per party, just like in the anime. This will mean that each Pokémon will take turns battling, and when it comes to the trainers turn, he may use items/run and such. The trainer's turn will be at the end of the Pokémon's turns.

Gym Leaders

#1: Gym Leader Eric – Normal type user. PkMn: Spinda + Skitty + Munchlax.

#2: Gym Leader Michael –

#3: Gym Leader Peyton –

#4: Gym Leader Anthony – Fire type user. PkMn: Magmar + Flareon + Houndoom.

#5: Gym Leader William –

#6: Gym Leader Taya – Fighting type user. PkMn: Lucario + Machoke + Hitmonchan.

#7: Gym Leader Nadir – Ice type user. PkMn: Sneasel + Abomasnow + Piloswine.

#8: Gym Leader Justin – Bug type user. PkMn: Shedinja + Armaldo + Drapion.

Elite 4 + Champion

#1: Elite 4 Kate -

#2: Elite 4 Xavier -

#3: Elite 4 Kurtis –

#4: Elite 4 Cory – Ghost type user. PkMn: Gengar + Spiritomb + Froslass.

#5: Champion Matt –

Towns + Cities
Coral Harbor – The boat dock of the Fuji Region. Without it, transportation between the Sinnoh and Fuji region would not be possible. Gym: None
Magnolia City – Named after the unusually cloudy skies of the city. Gym: Gym Leader Eric.
Cyan City – Named after the beautiful blue skies above the city. Gym: Gym Leader Michael.
Lilac Town – Named after the many flowers surrounding the town. Gym: Gym Leader Peyton.
Umber City – The biggest department store in the region is located in this city. Gym: Gym Leader Anthony.
Auburn City – A town plagued by occassional hauntings. Gym: Gym Leader William.
Mauve Town – The first non-gym town. Gym: None
Scarlet City – A dojo of powerful trainers resides here. Gym: Gym Leader Taya.
Chestnut City – Named after the unusual color of the soil. Gym: Gym Leader Nadir.
Sapphire City – Named after the city's large Sapphire mine. Gym: Gym Leader Justin.

Last edited:

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
You might have a bit of trouble making the trainer's turn come after the Pokemon's. rm2k3 uses an Active Time Battle system, which means there are bars, and your speed relative to your enemies determines how quickly it fills. Once it does, then it is your turn. You can choose to have it so when it is your turn, you have to act before anyone else does, or you can make it so that the person can wait and switch between people whose ATB bars are also full.

Another issue you might run into is the trainer being attacked. There isn't really any way to make it so no one attacks them without needing a whole mess of switches, variables, and conditional branches.

One possibility might be to make 3 of those slots for your Pokemon and have the final slot be reserved for 'guests', kind of like in D/P when another trainer was along with you. You can make it so the guest acts based on an AI, although the systems AI isn't that great and usually leads to the Pokemon continuously using its strongest attack ^^

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
You might have a bit of trouble making the trainer's turn come after the Pokemon's. rm2k3 uses an Active Time Battle system, which means there are bars, and your speed relative to your enemies determines how quickly it fills. Once it does, then it is your turn. You can choose to have it so when it is your turn, you have to act before anyone else does, or you can make it so that the person can wait and switch between people whose ATB bars are also full.

Another issue you might run into is the trainer being attacked. There isn't really any way to make it so no one attacks them without needing a whole mess of switches, variables, and conditional branches.

One possibility might be to make 3 of those slots for your Pokemon and have the final slot be reserved for 'guests', kind of like in D/P when another trainer was along with you. You can make it so the guest acts based on an AI, although the systems AI isn't that great and usually leads to the Pokemon continuously using its strongest attack ^^

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. It hasn't gotten many views because a mod moved it to the wrong section for some reason. Anyway, is there anyway to make it so that I can move around as the hero, which is going to be the D/P Rival Damion. But when I get into a battle, only my 3 pokemon fight?

Last edited:
Back