• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor [Classic]

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Nice update!
I just wanted to now, though, why a 32x32 sprite I insert always seems to face down, even when it's supposed to be moving or facing different directions.

Yes, I did change the animation type, from Standard, to Biker, to even HoHo (which should REALLY be Ho-Oh), but it ALWAYS FACES DOWN AND DOESN'T MOVE. What's wrong here?

EDIT: I just checked something. I repointed a sprite (which had normal animations). Then, I inserted my own over it, and it screwed up like the first one. O.o
What is going on?

EDIT 2: Never mind, the second bug was fixed.
But what about the first one?

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
Nice update!
I just wanted to now, though, why a 32x32 sprite I insert always seems to face down, even when it's supposed to be moving or facing different directions.

Yes, I did change the animation type, from Standard, to Biker, to even HoHo (which should REALLY be Ho-Oh), but it ALWAYS FACES DOWN AND DOESN'T MOVE. What's wrong here?

Mental note : Ho-Oh not HoHo

If your using Firered try switching the "pointer1" to "083A3718"

You can do this in NSE's hex editor, by selecting "Sprite Offset" and looking for the pointer 1 (REVERSED so "08 3a 37 10" would read "10 37 3a 08")

Pointer1.png

change the 10 to an 18

Make sure you press save, and you should be done.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years

You can do this in NSE's hex editor, by selecting "Sprite Offset" and looking for the pointer 1 (REVERSED so "08 3a 37 10" would read "10 37 3a 08")

Pointer1.png

change the 10 to an 18

Only problem here, though, is that I'm using BPEE...

link12552

decade club
Years
Solution pt2

Pointer1.png

change the 10 to an 18

Only problem here, though, is that I'm using BPEE...

Then instead of using "08 3a 37 10"
you would use: "08 50 95 1C"

If you wondering where I'm getting these pointers, they're just from other sprites in the ROM that have the desired attributes"

Sierraffinity

Years
Then instead of using "08 3a 37 10"
you would use: "08 50 95 1C"

If you wondering where I'm getting these pointers, they're just from other sprites in the ROM that have the desired attributes"
Yeah, I kinda guessed that I could do that.
Is this simply a bug in NSE that, after updating, I (hopefully) won't have to sort out manually each time?

EDIT: It turns out that it was that exact same pointer!
Then, I manually changed the Palette Registers to the one of another sprite, and, well, it worked somehow.
By the way, the 2nd number in the Palette Registers controls what slot the palette is loaded to.
Maybe you could add that in soon, for further customization.

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
Update 1.7.2

UPDATE 1.7.2

The big thing in this update is that now NSE has it's own built in plug-in system,
that allows you to access the power of NSE to do, well, allot of things XD.

The big motivator behind this is that hopefully people will contribute plug-ins they've made, thus increasing the usability of NSE and benefiting everyone...

Features:

• A very simple syntax
  • Temporary memory for storing variables
  • If statements
  • Access to NSE's image handling capabilities
  • Basic math functions
  • Read and write
  • and More!
NOTICE: THE LIST OF COMMANDS WILL BE POSTED SOON

Included with NSE is the example "pokemon" plug-in that showcases NSE's new plug-in system. Allowing editing of all of the Pokemon's fronts and backs, both normal and shiny.

Plug-ins can be written in Notepad, or any other text processing application, and plug-ins are saved with the extension ".npi"

Notes(s)
plug-ins are accessed through the options button

The "pokemon "example plug-in is ONLY compatible with the English versions of Ruby Emerald and Firered

King Koopa

The Dark Spriter >>>>
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2012
Mate I would just like to say this program is now one of the best and your a genius! Also I don't have the re-pointing issues anymore! well done ;)

link12552

decade club
Years
Thanks

Mate I would just like to say this program is now one of the best and your a genius! Also I don't have the re-pointing issues anymore! well done ;)

Fixing the re-pointing bug took some time, the the plug in system took FOREVER (all caps to show emphasis)
a genius hmmm :embarrass

Sierraffinity

Years
Fixing the re-pointing bug took some time, the the plug in system took FOREVER (all caps to show emphasis)
a genius hmmm :embarrass
I'm just wondering.. In this version, do you have the ability to edit the loaded palette slot, like I suggested a few posts back? (also, did you fix the bug I told you about in the same post?)

link12552

decade club
Years
I'm just wondering.. In this version, do you have the ability to edit the loaded palette slot, like I suggested a few posts back? (also, did you fix the bug I told you about in the same post?)

No that feature hasn't been added yet, but it's on the list. ;)

Regarding the bug, it seems to be a special case error and is still being looked into.

Sorry these things haven't been fully addressed, but with school coming up I haven't been able to do to much...

Sierraffinity

Years
No that feature hasn't been added yet, but it's on the list. ;)

Regarding the bug, it seems to be a special case error and is still being looked into.

Sorry these things haven't been fully addressed, but with school coming up I haven't been able to do to much...
Yeah, I know what you mean. At least it's fine, for now..

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
Hi. I tried making a simple plugin, using the original given one as a base, and tried to create one that would show us all item images. But, instead of that, all it shown was a graphical representation of the pointers. The palette was also pointers in RGB form.
I started out by making one with what I understood of the old script, but later copy-pasted the old script changing only the pointers. The changes were, in every frame (didn't even change the number of frames):
Code:
dump(0)
Append(8)
Multiply(I#)
Add(&h3D4294)
Read(mem(0), 3)
Flip(3)
Append(8)
Multiply(I#)
Add(&H3D4298)
For Fire Red, were the first pointer is the image table for items, and the second pointer is the same table + 4 (as the table layout is [pointed image] [pointed image palette])
Could you tell me what went wrong?

link12552

decade club
Years
Commands

Edit: For the new list of commands see this post

Here are the plug-in commands as of NSE 1.7.2.1

Spoiler:

Last edited:

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
Here's a small plugin I wrote to edit Pokemon Icon data.
There are 2 frames, per picture, to a total of 6 frames (0-1 is palette 0, 2-3 is palette 1, 4-5 is palette 3). You can edit your pokemon, shifting between the palettes freely as long as you save your picture in between.
The palette byte, however, remains the old one, so if you choose to use a different palette for the icon you're editing, you need to switch it manually.

This code is given here under the BPRE tag, but it will work on any ROM version that came out after Fire Red (J). That is due to a small structure of data placed at 0x128 at the ROM data, where:
0x138 is the Icon table pointer;
0x13c is the Icon Palette byte data and
0x140 is the Icon palette address table.

PS: The file is in txt format, as I can't upload it as npi. Change the filename and the tag, and you're set.

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
Years
I love this! It's perfectly made. There's absolutely nothing to improve.

EDIT:
Wait, I found something. Can you make it so if the import window is open, you can still access the main window? That way you can edit a LOT faster.

And even better, if you could add the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+I for Import Bitmap; there's no shortcut for convenience.

EDIT 2: Never mind, I realized that this was hacked and remade into Overworld Sprite Editor Rebirth Edition by HackMew.

Last edited:

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
I love this! It's perfectly made. There's absolutely nothing to improve.

EDIT:
Wait, I found something. Can you make it so if the import window is open, you can still access the main window? That way you can edit a LOT faster.

And even better, if you could add the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+I for Import Bitmap; there's no shortcut for convenience.

EDIT 2: Never mind, I realized that this was hacked and remade into Overworld Sprite Editor Rebirth Edition by HackMew.
This tool was absolutely not made into Overworld Editor: Rebirth Edition nor made by HackMew.This is an original creation by link12552 which is superior in manyALL ways to Overworld Editor: Rebirth Edition

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
Years
What? It seriously looks like a hack or an update of that. They are really similar.

Also, if it were superior, then why does RE have a shortcut for importing bitmaps, and NSE not have it? There's no reason to not have that feature.

Or they could just be separate and similar. Meh, you would know more.

Sierraffinity

Years
What? It seriously looks like a hack or an update of that. They are really similar.

Also, if it were superior, then why does RE have a shortcut for importing bitmaps, and NSE not have it? There's no reason to not have that feature.

Technically, they ARE separate and similar (being created on two entirely different engines), but NSE borrowed a lot of things from Rebirth Edition.

So, technically, NSE is an update to RE, if you want to think of it like that.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years

Yes, Overwold editor rebirth is an improved version than NSE even though NSE has more features because RE has a shortcut. That makes perfect sense.

Back